Author Topic: Is the Growth of Skateboarding Inherently Good or Bad?  (Read 2474 times)

Jim and Dan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 468
  • Twenty-six Conversions in A.D. 46
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Is the Growth of Skateboarding Inherently Good or Bad?
« on: March 24, 2023, 11:03:18 AM »
After sitting through another King Biscuit Flour Hour (Nine Club) episode where I hear about how the growth of skateboarding post-COVID/Olympics is a good thing for skateboarding and everyone just blindly agrees in order to not offend, it got me to ponder if this is actually the reality? I don't honestly know if this is inherently a good thing for every aspect of skateboarding, but I'd be interested in hearing some other takes on this issue. This is probably an unpopular opinion and I don't object to bringing more people into skating, but overall I feel like it dilutes the culture as a whole, homogenizing and commodifying into something antithetical to what I see as skateboarding "culture". Maybe that's the beauty of it, it can be what you want it to be, maybe I'm just jaded and gatekeeping, I really don't know anymore...
Roll for Rusty, Frip, Dapple and Tate

"My boiz better take my body, and boardslide me down the fucking bridge, in San Francisco"

modern life is war

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
Re: Is the Growth of Skateboarding Inherently Good or Bad?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2023, 12:02:51 PM »
I dont think it really matters. If you love skateboarding then you can just ignore all the shit you don't like such as the Olympics and skate vloggers and just focus on the core shit that you enjoy.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Tommy G

• Rep: -12
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2023, 12:08:09 PM »
It's a little bit of both. My little cousin, for example, started skating as he's in San Diego and he got inspired by people like Sky Brown and Rayssa Leal since they're closer to his age. Does he know anything about the history of skateboarding? Not really, it's something he got into but it's something he seems to enjoy and hyperfocus on. Maybe one day he'll learn the history and be better integrated into the culture.

After the Pandemic happened, we had a surge of people bringing their kids to skate the park and people I hadn't seen in years skating again. Some even stuck with it three years later.

In terms of the culture, it just depends. Some kids will gravitate to it because it's what gives them some belonging or purpose. Some people will do it just for fun even if they barely do any tricks. Some skate and have a backlog of useless skate knowledge because it became a part of them. I can't say a lot for where I am because skateboarding is such a small part of my state and it's slowly dying. I haven't seen any skate coach dads around and most of the kids that pick up skateboarding will either make or break past their first drop-in attempt.

roastbeef

• Rep: -47
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2023, 12:18:45 PM »
everything gets ruined with numbers. When you increase numbers, then the amount of assholes and ignorant people grows.

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2023, 12:46:27 PM »
It's a little bit of both. My little cousin, for example, started skating as he's in San Diego and he got inspired by people like Sky Brown and Rayssa Leal since they're closer to his age. Does he know anything about the history of skateboarding? Not really, it's something he got into but it's something he seems to enjoy and hyperfocus on. Maybe one day he'll learn the history and be better integrated into the culture.

After the Pandemic happened, we had a surge of people bringing their kids to skate the park and people I hadn't seen in years skating again. Some even stuck with it three years later.

In terms of the culture, it just depends. Some kids will gravitate to it because it's what gives them some belonging or purpose. Some people will do it just for fun even if they barely do any tricks. Some skate and have a backlog of useless skate knowledge because it became a part of them. I can't say a lot for where I am because skateboarding is such a small part of my state and it's slowly dying. I haven't seen any skate coach dads around and most of the kids that pick up skateboarding will either make or break past their first drop-in attempt.

I feel attacked...

Jokes aside, I think it's just part of the cycle that skateboarding has gone through since it's inception.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 12:56:02 PM by GrayCellGreen »

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 793
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2023, 12:52:16 PM »
I'm training for the Olympics got me outta shit twice this year alone and I'm sure I'm not alone...so fuck it.  Ride the wave.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2023, 12:53:18 PM »
I'm glad its more inclusive and there are lots of parks but I miss our little secret society and being hated.

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 561
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2023, 01:02:23 PM »
Growth in skateboarding is inevitable. There will always be a corporate element to skateboarding based on trying to expand skateboarding as much as possible and sell as much product as possible. There will also be a more underground alternative to the corporate side. There will be Street League, Berrics, Olympics, Cariuma, etc and there will be Limosine, Sci Fi Fantasy, Last Resort, etc as an alternative. Eventually people will get tired of the current crop of "core" brands, and new brands will pop up.

It's like music. There will always be the mainstream side that specifically produces music for the algorithm and generating as many streams as possible, and there will be artist that make music solely for a niche audience. It's not necessarily good or bad, but it's easier to ignore wack shit, and specifically focus on the cool shit, and due to the growth the general public is more accepting of skaters, cops are a little bit more charitable to skaters, and more [good] parks pop up.

Stu Pickles

• Rep: 108
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2023, 01:07:18 PM »
its not like skateboarding has always been one cohesive culture. the more the merrier I say, some will gravitate to "core" skating culture, others will stick with youtube skate culture, others might just like rolling around the park once or twice a month and not pay attention to anything else.

you might get more kooks but some will turn out to be future goats. I think its great that kids today are inspired by the new generation of skaters. excited to see how everything will be 10-20 years out.

i know it will be hard for the old heads on here, but while the 80s and 90s have big historical relevance in skating, the newer generations will mostly not care at all for stuff like mouse, video days, goldfish etc, and thats ok.

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2023, 01:35:40 PM »
it’s inherently better because more people are getting into a thing that can drive and inspire them for the rest of their life. as a consumer, it gets harder because there’s significantly more chaff for a little bit more wheat. at the same time though, having to do that massive undertaking will weed out so many people. it’s eventually going to be easier to identify who you fuck with in your subculture’s subculture.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -445
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2023, 01:39:30 PM »
If anybody’s selling a “I love skateboarding so much I wish it would die” shirt in L hit me up

But realistically has anybody ever been like “yeah I got into skating through eastern exposure 3”

skunty

• Rep: 73
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2023, 01:41:36 PM »
nothing is inherently good or bad - those are by nature subjective. depends on what you value and what perspective you're looking at the situation from. A business person might think of the growth as good because it's a business opportunity (and the people on that show work in the industry). A lot of people value that skateboarding doesn't fit into or goes against the dominant society - i.e. society says listen to your coach/boss/teacher to be a good team member, and skateboarding says no one is in charge so do what you want. There will be outcasts and people with a rebellious spirit in every new crop of kids. Like water finds its own level, they will find each other and find ways to rebel and be attracted to rebellious things. I think skateboarding is a fuzzy gradient borderland between fringe society and dominant society rubbing off on each other. Yeah, it's sad when a kid who could really use a great outlet like skating doesn't do it because he thinks it's some jock shit, but at the same time if it weren't for people trying to push skateboarding to a broader audience then it would have never found me or any of us.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2023, 02:19:36 PM »
Anything that gets too popular gets pretty kooky. So yes skateboarding is not as cool as it once was but it's still a fun thing to do.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2023, 02:26:26 PM »
If skating wasn't commodified, no one could make a living at it.....if it was niche....it would have likely kicked your ass to the curb......

This is another one of those 'oh shit used to be so better' threads.....

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 646
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2023, 02:50:24 PM »
It depends on how it grows and who it attracts.

If it grows organically and attracts weirdos, the growth is awesome. If it grows via corporate adult organized sport and attracts more Jaggers, the growth is bad.

But, I also don't believe that pandemic created a long term growth, just briefly stopped the bleeding of people realizing that skateboarding isn't cool.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1218
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2023, 04:47:30 PM »
More people for me to cool-guy
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1381
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2023, 04:57:30 PM »
If skating wasn't commodified, no one could make a living at it.....if it was niche....it would have likely kicked your ass to the curb......

This is another one of those 'oh shit used to be so better' threads.....

This is one of those things to me where, and right i obviously dont make a living thru skateboarding, too much of a living might be being made through skateboarding. I see it similarly in my other hobbies/things where i can make $$ that were once niche and are now more popular. Yoga teachers charging $30/class, people flipping VW vans to other idiots so they can make a certain profit margin and life an upper middle class lifestyle. My greatest mentor said “keep your day job so you can what you love and not worry about paying the bills.”
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

lurkluke

• Rep: 171
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2023, 05:03:14 PM »
I think it's good... but am always wary of big money in sports because it's the first to bail when things aren't going well.

We've seen the core skate world weather trends since the 70s now, so it's a resilient sport in that regard.

I love seeing the comps now, and how great the women skaters are - and my girlfriend loves watching comp skating as a result, where in the past she's never cared or been interested in watching skating.

It'll probably trend down. As long as the core keeps supporting the core then it'll always be there.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 975
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2023, 05:14:05 PM »
I think it's good. No one kicks me outta places anymore. People talk to me about how "cool" skating is.
It's the twilight zone kinda. I like to explain why I think the skatepark is kinda lame and why I stay skating in the streets to non skaters. 

Most of the time they don't understand but whatever. Fun to let um know.

I miss the old days but way of the 80s and early 90s isn't coming back. I definitely do miss era back when Jason Lee was #1 in the world and no one but us cared.

Hey did you see the 100% video? I think that's J.Lee. It is Jason Lee! Holly shit! Holly shit!

Did you see he was in Mi Vida Loca too? Nah? Are you serious? Yeah man dude wouldn't take his CDs or something. What's next? Skaters with TV shows? Never ever ever even happening.
Unless you're Tater.

I need to find an acting job. I think I could be the next frickin Marlon Brando.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

newguy

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2023, 06:04:35 PM »
The culture and styles might change but popping a fat Fs pop shove it over a trash can will never get old.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1056
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2023, 06:19:41 PM »
When I was a boy of fourteen, skateboarding was so Gnar I could hardly stand not to have the Culture around. But when I got to be twenty one, I was astonished at how much the Culture had Kooked in seven years.

Miserable Old Sack of Shit

• Rep: 31
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2023, 07:18:43 PM »
If skateboarding getting bigger means that some kid far away in some small town in the middle of nowhere who otherwise would have never gotten exposed falls in love with it just like we did, then it's good. Nothing is totally good or totally bad, but more people experiencing the joy of skateboarding is good. Now im gonna go skate to the corner store for some Tastykakes. Peace.

livin on a speyer

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2023, 07:44:42 PM »
It's bad.

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2023, 07:50:48 PM »
the Japanese and Brazilians have passed us all up anyway, it’s over

sle_epy

• Rep: -94
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2023, 08:07:27 PM »
its not like skateboarding has always been one cohesive culture. the more the merrier I say, some will gravitate to "core" skating culture, others will stick with youtube skate culture, others might just like rolling around the park once or twice a month and not pay attention to anything else.

you might get more kooks but some will turn out to be future goats. I think its great that kids today are inspired by the new generation of skaters. excited to see how everything will be 10-20 years out.

i know it will be hard for the old heads on here, but while the 80s and 90s have big historical relevance in skating, the newer generations will mostly not care at all for stuff like mouse, video days, goldfish etc, and thats ok.

Anecdotal, but the younger guys I am on sessions with are aware of their skate history and or interested in it. Mind you these are like core type guys but still. 20 year olds know about all the 90s videos etc. What they don't get is any other 90s reference which is a bummer but they always make me make the reference anyway and explain lol.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 94
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2023, 08:08:36 PM »
Both in various ways
Cocteau Twins

Yakusoku2

• Rep: 44
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2023, 08:29:29 PM »
The Olympics attracted a lot of attention and it was good or bad depending on the place and type of people. For example, in Ethiopia, the scene has grown a lot. Maybe core guys think skateboarding growth is bad. In my country we have more "スケートボード禁止 - No Skateboarding" sings than ever.

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 513
    • shop lurker avatar image
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2023, 08:51:48 PM »
Good. Less cops hassling people, more public places to skate, and greater opportunity for people to get involved and find joy in this useless wooden toy.

If some of our current world leaders had grown up skating, perhaps they wouldn't have turned into warmongers.

Even with so much happening in the skate world and all the distractions surrounding it, the act of going out, finding new skate spots, and falling down still feels the same (ok, falling down hurts a bit more now).

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 975
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2023, 09:08:27 PM »
I get along with the average skater way better now than like the mid 90s to 2015 or so when I met Sunset Sam at a show in Dudley I figured out that real skaters are back. I'm in this forever and ever again. I ain't going back to hiding out.

Honestly the only era that was better than now from what I can see is the 80s and early 90s.

I'm talking street level regular skater.

Also I love seeing girls skating. That shit makes me so happy. Back in the day I'd be trying to grow that and people would scare them off.

Macho bullshit.

I've made more real friends who skate since 2015 then from questionable to whl.

It's the pro shit that's all fucked up. No one gives a fuck about making art anymore. Everyone is about pumping out parts to sell some shit.

Product is at an all time high in quality.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2023, 09:26:31 PM »
Way too nuanced for a binary answer