Author Topic: Jerry Hsu talks about Enjoi and Gifted Hater  (Read 8856 times)

LebowskisRug

Re: Jerry Hsu talks about Enjoi and Gifted Hater
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2023, 12:30:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
It is sad that someone as good as Jerry has crippling self-doubt
[close]

It’s ironic that someone with “crippling self doubt” would back gifted hater’s contribution to the skate world.  It’s weird that sensitive people like to see other people ridiculed, unable to think about how that would make them feel.
[close]

Yeah sensitive people should only like rainbows and puppy dogs and stuff like that...I hope he's ashamed of himself.  ::)
[close]

Would be interesting to know more about this “private account” Joa was contacting Jerry with for sci-fi product. GH’s incognito navigation of social media with all the alt-accounts (3+ YT channels and counting, who knows how many private IG accounts…) seems like a smart way to stay relevant. Had he reached out to Jerry with his mega-sized GH IG account to get product, it might’ve come off as clout chasing and kept him from getting on the team.

Hate him or love him GH knows the skate industry. Whether he did it in a meticulously calculated fashion, or kind of stumbled upon his success, he figured out how to become omnipresent in the skate community (BOS legend Jerry Hsu can’t even do an interview without needing to mention Joa), and the end result is almost always GH getting the biggest benefit for himself (free product and all the financial success on YT/Patreon).

I don't get it when people say he "gets the skate industry" when he mostly ranks random bullshit and riffs on Nyjah's antics. He just says the shit most people probably say on Slap, but sometimes a bit less pointed. I don't think he has actually ever called a lot of the skate industry on it's bullshit that we hear about in interviews of former pros.

Theme For A Jackal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 104
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2023, 12:47:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

It’s ironic that someone with “crippling self doubt” would back gifted hater’s contribution to the skate world.  It’s weird that sensitive people like to see other people ridiculed, unable to think about how that would make them feel.
[close]

Yeah sensitive people should only like rainbows and puppy dogs and stuff like that...I hope he's ashamed of himself.  ::)
[close]

Would be interesting to know more about this “private account” Joa was contacting Jerry with for sci-fi product. GH’s incognito navigation of social media with all the alt-accounts (3+ YT channels and counting, who knows how many private IG accounts…) seems like a smart way to stay relevant. Had he reached out to Jerry with his mega-sized GH IG account to get product, it might’ve come off as clout chasing and kept him from getting on the team.

Hate him or love him GH knows the skate industry. Whether he did it in a meticulously calculated fashion, or kind of stumbled upon his success, he figured out how to become omnipresent in the skate community (BOS legend Jerry Hsu can’t even do an interview without needing to mention Joa), and the end result is almost always GH getting the biggest benefit for himself (free product and all the financial success on YT/Patreon).

Did you read the article? Joa just has a personal instagram that he followed Sci-Fi/Fantasy on and Jerry saw it and like his skating and sent him stuff, he did not make a personal account to ask to be sponsored

Having a private instagram is literally the opposite of 'a smart way to stay relevant', the entire point is to avoid your relevancy/attention

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 104
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2023, 12:48:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I don't get it when people say he "gets the skate industry" when he mostly ranks random bullshit and riffs on Nyjah's antics. He just says the shit most people probably say on Slap, but sometimes a bit less pointed. I don't think he has actually ever called a lot of the skate industry on it's bullshit that we hear about in interviews of former pros.

He's much more pointed than 95% of Slap posters and also knows the difference between subjective/objective and can own up when he's wrong

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2023, 01:24:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

He's much more pointed than 95% of Slap posters and also knows the difference between subjective/objective and can own up when he's wrong
He's also able to show his face when he talks his shit which puts a very distinct line in the sand between what he does and what we do here on slap. And whether you think he's funny or not, he is funny to a large number of pros and normal skaters alike.

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2236
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2023, 01:25:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Did you read the article? Joa just has a personal instagram that he followed Sci-Fi/Fantasy on and Jerry saw it and like his skating and sent him stuff, he did not make a personal account to ask to be sponsored

Having a private instagram is literally the opposite of 'a smart way to stay relevant', the entire point is to avoid your relevancy/attention

Also Jerry put him on his team and is doing an interview about his team. He's not "needing to mention Joa". He got asked about his team.

Man that was a lot of hot takes brother.

WhoCareZ

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2023, 01:39:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

He has the balls to show his likeness in front of 100s of thousands of viewers, which is A LOT of people. You're willing to expose yourself, while saying things people agree with, you have the opportunity to get rewarded one way or another. GH on YT now is super vanilla, not remotely as funny or edgy as he was when he first started making edits. Didn't laugh one time on his recent video about the sponsor news with Luan, Louie, Knox, and Kader, and had to watch at 2x speed considering it's a half hour. Curren Caples review was BORING, no interesting takes from GH on that one.

More power to him for enjoying substantial monetary success via patreon. From a GH enjoyer perspective, it's hard to deny it's a bummer to have less content (both in quality and quantity) from GH in general, especially on YT.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2023, 01:44:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I just got a suggestion for his illegal trick ranking video, tell me more about how that is much more pointed than anyone else who understands that Benihanas are heinous, which is a pretty universally held opinion across generations.

I'm scrolling through his last 10 videos and finding nothing that is more nuanced than a convo between adults that aren't fried.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 968
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2023, 02:19:54 PM »
Those photos are bad ass.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

BRINK

• Rep: -937
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2023, 02:49:16 PM »
Louis! Monster Children! Stoked to see ya in there ... I think we discussed it when you interviewed me. Working on something for them now too.

Keep killing it.

nollieboulala

• Rep: 0
  • fuckin wheel fell off
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2023, 03:29:54 PM »
Thanks for the interview post. Always loved Jerry & also like Joa.

LouisONeill

• Rep: -18
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2023, 01:20:23 AM »
Louis! Monster Children! Stoked to see ya in there ... I think we discussed it when you interviewed me. Working on something for them now too.

Keep killing it.

Hey Rob,

Yeah I’m stoked to be writing for them, I’ve loved their stuff since those Team Average videos. You were one of the first people in the skate industry that I interviewed - thanks for being so charitable with your time! Hope all is well on your end, keen to see what you do in the future.

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2023, 02:43:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I just got a suggestion for his illegal trick ranking video, tell me more about how that is much more pointed than anyone else who understands that Benihanas are heinous, which is a pretty universally held opinion across generations.

I'm scrolling through his last 10 videos and finding nothing that is more nuanced than a convo between adults that aren't fried.
he covers a lot of familiar ground but he does it in a funny and occasionally insightful way, i doubt anyone on here could make something as entertaining

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2023, 02:52:30 AM »
I don't find GHs American wiener humour funny. But he is definitely the snarky side of Slap in human talking doll form.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -761
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2023, 05:43:09 AM »
I don't find GHs American wiener humour funny. But he is definitely the snarky side of Slap in human talking doll form.

Hahaha

Yes and yes.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

skunty

• Rep: 73
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2023, 08:06:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

There are layers to the GH onion, what you're getting on his public youtube is relatively sanitized after layers of feedback and edits. he streams on twitch all the time where he's most likely to say something unfiltered, then uploads almost all the VOD of the streams to private youtube vids which are linked on his patreon. then he films videos that are usually ideas he's had on stream that he's developed more and organized into a more standardized format, and puts them up on patreon. then some of those pateron vids end up getting posted to one of his public youtube pages later, sometimes after more edits. twitch costs 5 bucks a month i think and the advantage is you get to see it live, be in the live chat, and see anythign that may be too unhinged so he doesn't upload the VOD for patreon to see. I haven't gone that far, but I subscribe to the patreon because bascially its some of the best skate commentary and for $5 a month you get a lot

doublesteveburger

« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2023, 08:15:49 AM »
excited for that new book of iphone photos, his old tumblr was one of the few sites i'd frequent back in the day which eventually became his blackberry photo book

dude's eye for photos could easily carry a skate company's aesthetic/art department but I'm hyped with what sci-fi has been putting out and everything revolved around it

jerry deserves nothing but success