Author Topic: RIP Robbie McKinley  (Read 37097 times)

whale

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 204
Re: RIP Robbie McKinley
« Reply #90 on: March 30, 2023, 09:20:38 AM »
Great edit (as always) great song, great dude

RIP

Rocking_in_Kansas

• Rep: 2
« Reply #91 on: March 30, 2023, 10:23:25 AM »
RIP Always loved his part in Yeah Right

Rocking_in_Kansas

• Rep: 2
« Reply #92 on: March 30, 2023, 10:32:34 AM »

Kerry “GRIND” King

• Rep: 16
« Reply #93 on: March 30, 2023, 11:09:23 AM »
What a absolute bummer 😢 RIP Robbie. Thanks for all the memories.

swanronson

• Rep: -27
« Reply #94 on: March 30, 2023, 08:34:44 PM »
Tragic either way but is it just me or were they hinting at suicide on the nine club? With all the talk about checking in each other ect. More needs to be done about this issue.

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #95 on: March 30, 2023, 10:45:50 PM »
RIP Robbie. Best Nollie tricks in the game.

Especially loved the super fast long Nollie crook he did in Yeah Right. Condolences to his friends and family.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #96 on: March 30, 2023, 11:43:37 PM »
Tragic either way but is it just me or were they hinting at suicide on the nine club? With all the talk about checking in each other ect. More needs to be done about this issue.
I don't think so. Who knows what happened. I got the vibe in this case, Chris was talking about someone who was arguably his best friend or one of his closest friends for years, and it seems they drifted apart due to no ill will toward each other just due to how their lives changed from their mid-20's until now. I'm in my mid-30's, and I have people who were very close friends at earlier points in my life who I have no ill will towards and remember the great times we've had, but you can go a year or even a couple years without talking. This is living in the same city, this can be even more exacerbated when someone moves a 4-hour flight away. Earlier this year I actually talked to a couple of them randomly through Instagram and ended up meeting up for drinks and catching up in a couple of cases. Atleast that's the message I took out of it.

If it was, Robbie's family deserves privacy and not speculation.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #97 on: March 31, 2023, 12:38:52 AM »
RIP :(

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #98 on: March 31, 2023, 12:43:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I don't think so. Who knows what happened. I got the vibe in this case, Chris was talking about someone who was arguably his best friend or one of his closest friends for years, and it seems they drifted apart due to no ill will toward each other just due to how their lives changed from their mid-20's until now. I'm in my mid-30's, and I have people who were very close friends at earlier points in my life who I have no ill will towards and remember the great times we've had, but you can go a year or even a couple years without talking. This is living in the same city, this can be even more exacerbated when someone moves a 4-hour flight away. Earlier this year I actually talked to a couple of them randomly through Instagram and ended up meeting up for drinks and catching up in a couple of cases. Atleast that's the message I took out of it.

Yeah it’s too soon day(s) after the loss, but if there is a conversation to be had that can help others, I hope it emerges, respectfully, in the future.   

skateboardnorth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
« Reply #99 on: March 31, 2023, 05:49:31 AM »
Super bummed out to hear about his passing. RIP

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #100 on: March 31, 2023, 07:13:32 AM »
https://www.gofundme.com/f/robert-robbie-mckinley?utm_campaign=m_pd+share-sheet&utm_content=undefined&utm_medium=copy_link_all&utm_source=customer&utm_term=undefined

This just posted. Looks like his family needs support to bring him back from Hawaii. I’m sure any little bit helps.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Inspectah Deck

• Rep: 8
« Reply #101 on: March 31, 2023, 08:10:21 AM »
After reading about this, the thing that is most heartbreaking is it looks like he just moved to Hawaii in the last few months to try to start a new life.

Fuck. That sucks no matter the cause of death.

Mangust

• Rep: -2
« Reply #102 on: March 31, 2023, 09:07:40 AM »
Rest in peace...I still watch his Yeah Right Part regularly, such a great short part in one of the best videos.

decoi1

• Rep: 18
« Reply #103 on: March 31, 2023, 09:18:25 AM »
One thing I always liked about this dudes parts is how somewhat relatable they were. Not that I was anywhere near his talent at the time or ever for that matter, he stood out to me because his style of skating seemed more attainable if that makes any sense. It was all mostly basic tricks popped really high, going fast and executed to damn near perfection. Just seemed like stuff that I might could possibly do other flip in/flip out ledge wizardry or jumping down huge gaps or skating buck rails. I loved his parts being mixed in with all the stuff I mentioned above. Kinda brought the videos back down to earth. RIP

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #104 on: March 31, 2023, 10:34:57 AM »
Glad the GoFundMe hit its goal asap. Always interesting to see who is helping out with the GoFundMe as well. Nick Tershey giving $500 was pretty cool.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #105 on: March 31, 2023, 10:40:29 AM »
Glad the GoFundMe hit its goal asap. Always interesting to see who is helping out with the GoFundMe as well. Nick Tershey giving $500 was pretty cool.

Megan Baltimore donated $500 twice when I checked again, then one of the $500 went to anonymous. Still want crail to drop a board for him.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 11:30:10 AM by Big Baby Jesus »
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #106 on: March 31, 2023, 10:53:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Megan Baltimore donated $500 twice when I checked again, then one of the $500 went to anonymous. Still want frail to drop a board for him.

It seems like such a no brainer. Make a board and have all the profits go to his family and people that always wanted a board with his  name on it get what they want too. Win win situation if you ask me.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1573
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #107 on: March 31, 2023, 11:57:48 AM »
I don't remember them doing that for Gabriel Rodriguez. I'd love a board for both those dudes.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #108 on: March 31, 2023, 12:11:33 PM »
I don't remember them doing that for Gabriel Rodriguez. I'd love a board for both those dudes.
They probably should have and donated to Gabriel's family or to a cancer charity in his name, but I don't think there was the same level of push for it since Gabriel went pro.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -484
« Reply #109 on: March 31, 2023, 12:39:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah it’s too soon day(s) after the loss, but if there is a conversation to be had that can help others, I hope it emerges, respectfully, in the future.

He just moved to Hawaii and had been surfing a bunch so I’ve just been imagining he surfed the biggest wave in history and got carried a way by a nice old whale. I can’t do the whole suicide/overdose anymore . Too many good people gone too soon
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -380
« Reply #110 on: March 31, 2023, 03:42:38 PM »
Crailtap and Girl can't come up with that money is wild to me...but maybe they do other stuff on the low.

prm

• Rep: 9
« Reply #111 on: March 31, 2023, 04:43:14 PM »
Robbie was a friend growing up in West LA, we both skated for Hot Rod skateshop. He already had that smooth style and high speed attack back when he was a Society Dog. It's been a sad week for our little Hot Rod crew because, in retrospect, he was our most talented skater. He didn't really like the pressure of being a sponsored skater, though. He was just so fucking talented that big companies came after him. He was a true California kid who walked away from skating to simply enjoy life and later to surf. People talk about him not going pro...the guy got on Girl, the most elite team maybe ever, and was on his way to getting a shoe on DC for sure. Those are massive accomplishments. I sold him my GMC truck when I moved away to NY at age 18, and 10 years later when I returned to Cali he was still rolling it up and down the coast, surfing a ton with Matt Solomon, who used to manage Hot Rod. Some people are here on this earth simply for the experience — that was Robbie. That thought is comforting, as we all know he enjoyed some great experiences in life, despite leaving Spaceship Earth a little earlier than the rest of us. Peace, Robbie

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 803
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #112 on: March 31, 2023, 07:15:54 PM »
First time I saw him skate I knew he had “it”.  There was something about the way he approached things.  Powerful with finesse, if that makes any sense.  Every time I saw him I’d be amazed.  You could watch him and learn tricks just by how proper he did everything.  This shit really hurts.
One of my favorite clips of his is the nosegrind on the Venice bench in his first clip in The Chocolate Tour. So much power and style on an otherwise simple ledge trick.
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #113 on: March 31, 2023, 09:36:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
They probably should have and donated to Gabriel's family or to a cancer charity in his name, but I don't think there was the same level of push for it since Gabriel went pro.

Yeah I never got why he never got a permanent Gabriel forever at the beginning of the crail vids like Keenan does, but that’s none of my business

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #114 on: March 31, 2023, 10:59:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Yeah I never got why he never got a permanent Gabriel forever at the beginning of the crail vids like Keenan does, but that’s none of my business
I do think there should have been more of a tribute of some sort to Gabriel, I mean, the dude was one of the first dudes on Chocolate and ended Chocolate's first video. I think the difference here is, that Keenan died while being an active team rider for Crail. Sort of like how if someone on a sports team dies tragically while on the team generally their number will be permanently retired, but if it happens years after they have retired or been traded they generally get a tribute on the jumbotron.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #115 on: April 01, 2023, 07:06:06 AM »
fuck man, that’s terrible. seems to be confirmed, marko from sugar skateboards left a memorial comment on his last instagram post. rest in peace legend. girl should issue him a pro model finally as a memorial board with all profits going to his family.

sid vicious

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
« Reply #116 on: April 02, 2023, 01:38:19 AM »
RIP - His skating was always super clean, explosive & impressive

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #117 on: April 02, 2023, 01:44:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
I do think there should have been more of a tribute of some sort to Gabriel, I mean, the dude was one of the first dudes on Chocolate and ended Chocolate's first video. I think the difference here is, that Keenan died while being an active team rider for Crail. Sort of like how if someone on a sports team dies tragically while on the team generally their number will be permanently retired, but if it happens years after they have retired or been traded they generally get a tribute on the jumbotron.

Super reasonable explanation and I totally buy it.   

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #118 on: April 02, 2023, 01:45:27 AM »
Most recent update mentions a Thank You to Nike and Dom.   Assuming that’s Dom Travis, so good for him using Nike’s resources to help out the family.   

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 136
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #119 on: April 02, 2023, 10:02:49 AM »
He was a true California kid who walked away from skating to simply enjoy life and later to surf. People talk about him not going pro...the guy got on Girl, the most elite team maybe ever, and was on his way to getting a shoe on DC for sure. Those are massive accomplishments.

Some people are here on this earth simply for the experience — that was Robbie. That thought is comforting, as we all know he enjoyed some great experiences in life, despite leaving Spaceship Earth a little earlier than the rest of us. Peace, Robbie

beautiful words man, thanks for taking the time to come on here and post