Author Topic: is skating with a loose board better than skating a tight one  (Read 1789 times)

Dor1s.Debaser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -2
tryna know which is better fr cause my board is getting loose.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
Re: is skating with a loose board better than skating a tight one
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2023, 01:13:35 PM »
That's different for everybody fr fr no cap. For me, looser is both more comfortable and more fun. Not wobbly loose though. Tight trucks are usually more comfortable for beginners, but probably get looser the better they get.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2023, 04:48:25 PM »
Imagine Max Palmer on David Gonzalez’s trucks.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2023, 05:44:34 PM »
I rode a tight truck board to the store the other day. Instantly regretted that shit. I fell off jazz pushing like 4x.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 215
  • sup dog
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2023, 06:42:45 AM »
Tight trucks for flippedy tricks. Tech skaters don’t ever have to turn.

Loose trucks for everyone else that convinces themselves that they don’t ever have to learn how to do good kick flips.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2023, 07:47:33 AM »
Tight trucks for flippedy tricks. Tech skaters don’t ever have to turn.

Loose trucks for everyone else that convinces themselves that they don’t ever have to learn how to do good kick flips.

but i got mean flip tricks especially for being an old fart. loose trucks are the move im telling you. its also funny to see people be like gimmie that thing ill show you ..... BOOM!

some old skater person who could barely still roll offered to fix my shit the other day. yo your tucks broke dog... and it wasnt me... :o

i said

GIMMIE MY SHIT BACK YO! That shits intentional son. im from the 80s when going fast turning was a trick.
with loose trucks every single inch is an adventure.

this is how to get your kickflips under control

roll
do an ollie
then immediately set up and do a kickflip

im not ok with talking dirty in trick tips. its amusing to me that i care
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 11:25:56 AM by Uncle Flea »
(A)pl(E)

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 215
  • sup dog
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2023, 08:58:55 AM »
We’re all just big kids when on a board.

“with loose trucks every single inch is an adventure.“

That kinda reads like you’re not talking about trucks.

davy

• Rep: 9
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2023, 09:53:29 AM »
trucks that are just right for you is better than too loose or too tight

people say my board is too loose for them, but it's my set up not theirs

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2023, 09:59:23 AM »
Loose trucks make some things easier and some things harder, but  they make everything more fun!

Tighter trucks make kickflips and shove its more easy for me, but I find it super difficult to 360 flip on tight trucks. Cruising and carving is almost impossible with tight trucks, but some vert dudes swear by tight trucks.

I run them pretty loose.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2023, 12:56:51 PM »
If it smokes, it pokes.

Loose truck lifer.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2023, 04:29:54 PM »
If it smokes, it pokes.

Loose truck lifer.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

sle_epy

• Rep: -82
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2023, 06:39:15 AM »
IMO, yes up to a point. You'll develop way better balance, eventually you'll have a lot more control over how your board reacts to your input. Grinds are tougher to balance at first but eventually you'll find that with looser trucks You'll get into stuff like crookeds easier. You'll find yourself developing muscles to stay balanced that you wouldn't as much otherwise. You'll roll away from a lot more tricks that you would otherwise, again developing even better balance. It also adds to your style. It's definitely the way to go long-term.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2023, 07:03:15 AM »
I can’t skate properly, even if my life would depend on it, but I suck even more with tights trucks.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2023, 04:34:49 AM »
IMO, yes up to a point. You'll develop way better balance, eventually you'll have a lot more control over how your board reacts to your input. Grinds are tougher to balance at first but eventually you'll find that with looser trucks You'll get into stuff like crookeds easier. You'll find yourself developing muscles to stay balanced that you wouldn't as much otherwise. You'll roll away from a lot more tricks that you would otherwise, again developing even better balance. It also adds to your style. It's definitely the way to go long-term.

I tend to agree with this, at the end of the day it's one's spot and trick selection which will dictate such choices and so they're all respectable accordingly (just of course extremes will be funny), but if one is trying to develop serious board control on the broader sense of the term than just on tricks then I'd definitely recommend going through a relatively extended loose truck phase (changes can be made gradually as one adapts, both ways, too). Even on purely logical terms it's bound to teach the skater how to handle and control more dimensions of and factors on their skating's inherent linearity. You'll understand how your skateboard works, behaves and reacts on a deeper level and subconsciously integrate the reflexes and possibilities in response even if/when you ever go back to tighter trucks.

sle_epy

• Rep: -82
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2023, 04:45:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I tend to agree with this, at the end of the day it's one's spot and trick selection which will dictate such choices and so they're all respectable accordingly (just of course extremes will be funny), but if one is trying to develop serious board control on the broader sense of the term than just on tricks then I'd definitely recommend going through a relatively extended loose truck phase (changes can be made gradually as one adapts, both ways, too). Even on purely logical terms it's bound to teach the skater how to handle and control more dimensions of and factors on their skating's inherent linearity. You'll understand how your skateboard works, behaves and reacts on a deeper level and subconsciously integrate the reflexes and possibilities in response even if/when you ever go back to tighter trucks.

Def agree, I forgot to mention that as I loosened my board the "pressure points" on the board became far more apparent and I could utilize them more intentionally. Obv the looser the trucks the more pressure you can put on the pinch for a tre flip, the more the board will react to a shift in pressure and weight distribution say for a kickflip or heel flip, etc. Example: I put more weight onto my back foot and sit on the heel side til I'm ready to pop and flick. Then I transfer that weight to the jump. Because of the ability to manipulate the heel side more the flick becomes much much easier. That said, nyjah rides wildly tight trucks so you can make anything work.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2023, 05:39:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Def agree, I forgot to mention that as I loosened my board the "pressure points" on the board became far more apparent and I could utilize them more intentionally. Obv the looser the trucks the more pressure you can put on the pinch for a tre flip, the more the board will react to a shift in pressure and weight distribution say for a kickflip or heel flip, etc. Example: I put more weight onto my back foot and sit on the heel side til I'm ready to pop and flick. Then I transfer that weight to the jump. Because of the ability to manipulate the heel side more the flick becomes much much easier. That said, nyjah rides wildly tight trucks so you can make anything work.

It's so funny how I can almost feel what you mean on this topic, I can definitely confirm this too, and pressure points happens to be one of my go-to manners when explaining someone a trick, at the end of the day skateboarding physics aren't exactly rocket science and are very rudimentary principles such as tension and release applied to a rather simple object (which then in itself by design is a bit unnatural and takes practice to maneuver using just the feet). One thing I may add is one consequence of going back to (even slightly) tighter trucks after having experienced the extreme is, wherever you've learned all the pressure points were, now is going to be more actual resistance whenever building tension across the board with foot and weight placement (which is what a lot of people optimize to facilitate double/triple flips), and so less leeway in the execution all the while relying on the same principle. Say you've had to adjust your kickflip pop and flick in order to relearn them on the looser trucks after your original tight truck habits being thrown off; if/when you go back to tighter trucks your newly acquired habits and comprehension of the board will remain and you'll be applying the same principles onto a more 'grounded' set-up you now realize was always appropriate for this or that type of input and response.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2023, 12:10:40 PM »
Loose trucks save lives….tight trucks progress skateboarding…..

The correct answer…..whatever you feel comfortable with and just say….’medium’….

switchfakie

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2023, 04:13:33 PM »
maxy palmer boi is a bit too loose

jah is too tight

you need to have it right in the middle

loose enough that you can frontside carve bowls easily

but tight enough that shifting your feet while setting up for a kickflip doesnt cause your board to turn

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 318
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2023, 01:25:39 AM »
Medium but every so often spend a few sessions skating a bit looser to test your strength and balance

Logic

• Rep: 35
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2023, 12:40:36 PM »
I keep the back a bit tighter than the front after I found I get a cleaner snap off the tail by doing so. I have no problem swerving around and never need to tic-tac, but most who have ridden mine consider my trucks too tight for them. Conversely I find riding some loose setups of friends to be an absolute death-trap for me.

JimGeko

• Rep: -38
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2023, 06:10:47 AM »
I go extra medium
What do you say on a Slap signature?

I DON"T KNOW!

MASHED POTATO * APPLE SAUCE * BUTTERY... BISCUITS.

https://ephmedia.giphy.com/4e27e798-9a5d-4df3-87ba-b18f905e055a.gif

wurfnnjs

• Rep: 0
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2023, 10:56:20 AM »
I rode a tight truck board to the store the other day. Instantly regretted that shit. I fell off jazz pushing like 4x.
Best typo I've seen in a while.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2023, 08:50:59 AM »
I’m gradually doing less and less flip tricks and the trucks are getting looser and looser.  Thinking of just saying fuck it and getting a 8.75 or a 9 or something and abandoning them all together.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2023, 09:05:36 AM »
I know i can do more tricks and easier with tighter trucks. I just cant roll as nicely
Expand Quote
[close]
Best typo I've seen in a while.

thnks yo.
. I like the wobbles. Its how i know im really doing it.
(A)pl(E)

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2023, 11:53:27 AM »
tight trucks is better for doing straight gaps, skating plazas where you you just go in completely straight lines. flip tricks, technical, like honestly 90% of what most try hard kids actually do. going down drops, you definintely want tighter, higher trucks to avoid wheelbite.

The advantage of loose trucks is for grinds. you can be way more precise with your angle when you roll up to something. also if your rotation doesnt come completely around, you can save it way easier on loose trucks because you can steer out.

my opinion is that loose trucks looks way better when you see it on a video and i think a lot of people agree with me. people who watch more street league / freestyle stuff, who care more about difficulty of the tricks than the style, probably dont notice the difference and would just rather see harder tricks than surfy looking stuff that is easier.
ONTARIO CANADA

Perforated Opinions

• Rep: -198
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2023, 11:57:21 PM »
its not loose unless it rattles and you take bushings and washers out.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2023, 06:51:57 PM »
Ive been skating rattly trucks with busted bushing, no washers, and finger tight. And its fun as shit, like @Uncle Flea said, its an adventure. I think it makes for more interesting exploration and pushing around all day in the city sorta skating. Also makes transition feel wavier. But i recently put together a set up woth what i feel are tight trucks and its a better platform for balance and im learning new grinds and flip tricks a lot easier. Slow/stationary is easier with tighter trucks imo, but carving and cruising is far harder and less fun.

Its all subjective tho. I was talking to a cat the pther day about my new tight trucks and he sez “lemme see. Damn those are loose as fuck!” And i sez “yoi want loose?” And go get my rattle stick set up outta the car and the dude can’t even stand on it its so wobbly.

So, ya need to find what works for you and have fun
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 163
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2023, 07:47:32 PM »
it's a whole new adventure when you pop your pivot cups out. Tom Grom called me crazy for doing that

switchfakie

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2023, 06:20:11 PM »
loose trucks with hard bushings are ideal because you can turn, but for impact, the hard bushings save you & dont compress as much