Author Topic: What's good with Edinburgh?  (Read 593 times)

Skibb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
What's good with Edinburgh?
« on: April 03, 2023, 06:28:30 AM »
Heading for a UK trip with my girl in mid-April, gonna be staying for a week. We're starting out in London for a couple of days, then taking the train north to Edinburgh to spend the rest of our time there.

I just found some tickets for cheap, so I have literally no idea on what to look for. Anyone got any tips on bars, restaurants, skateshops or other cool shit to check out? Parties and/or shows?

Thanks

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
Re: What's good with Edinburgh?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2023, 07:06:54 AM »
If you like walking go up Arthur's Seat. Right in the centre and not too much of a walk to get to the top.
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2023, 02:26:02 AM »
My mate Sibs runs Focus:
https://focuspocus.co.uk/

Bannermans has bands most nights punk metal etc:
https://www.bannermanslive.co.uk/

Frankenstein pub was worth passing for a pint:
https://frankensteinedinburgh.co.uk/

I'll think of more stuff later

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2023, 03:38:52 AM »
If you like walking go up Arthur's Seat. Right in the centre and not too much of a walk to get to the top.

Yeah, this might not be what you are looking for, but I was positively surprised that you could get like a full "Scotland experience" within one walk from Edinburgh Castle (big ass castle) to Arthur's Seat (big ass hill), with ample whisky in between.
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2023, 03:41:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, this might not be what you are looking for, but I was positively surprised that you could get like a full "Scotland experience" within one walk from Edinburgh Castle (big ass castle) to Arthur's Seat (big ass hill), with ample whisky in between.
Hit up the Piemaker on your way for some Tattie Dogs and Mac'n'Cheese Pies to keep you going
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2023, 11:20:51 AM »
Dean Village is a cool place for a walk and doesn't always make the tourist website lists.

Skibb

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2023, 05:43:03 AM »
These are all golden, thanks y'all.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2023, 08:45:43 AM »
Food-
-Bread Meats Bread is good eating for American style stuff (Lothian Road)
-Great breakfasts at Edinburgh Larder, the waffles are top tier (Blackfriars st)
-Mariachi on Victoria st for Mexican

Focus skate shop is the local SoS, good guys in there

Attractions- all the obvious ones, the castle is well worth it, camera obscura is fun but a bit expensive for what it is.

Pubs and bars are pretty much everywhere, lots of good ones but all fairly pricey. Food and drink is essentially London prices, so be prepared!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 12:21:01 PM by Skatebeard »

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2023, 11:46:07 AM »
Yeah forgot to say if you wanna do the castle go early to get a ticket or book in advance if they do that as was sold out when we tried. They still let you walk in and look a little bit around.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2023, 12:22:25 PM »
Also, the zoo is worth checking out, it's on the way to/from the airport so a good thing to throw in on your last day.

Skibb

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2023, 01:33:58 AM »
Arrived here by train yesterday, what an insanely cool place. Will take a walk to Focus during the day, hopefully namedropping @Síota won't get me kicked out.

The Full Scotland Experience™ got me stoked, planning on doing that tomorrow. Might hit up the Edinburgh Larder before, just to get my trans fats ready for the hike.

I missed two shows yesterday on the count of me being an idiot and missing the date, but will hopefully catch something tonight.

Again: thanks for all the tips y'all, they're golden.

klobynrenn

• Rep: 6
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2023, 04:15:59 AM »
@Skibb I’m working in Focus today so if you swing by I’d be happy to give you some recommendations for stuff to do while you’re here, hopefully catch you later on

Skibb

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2023, 09:55:15 AM »
@Skibb I’m working in Focus today so if you swing by I’d be happy to give you some recommendations for stuff to do while you’re here, hopefully catch you later on

Hey man! A pleasure meeting you yesterday. Cool to see the shop as well – always stokes me out to see a local as crowded as Focus was.

klobynrenn

• Rep: 6
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2023, 03:25:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Hey man! A pleasure meeting you yesterday. Cool to see the shop as well – always stokes me out to see a local as crowded as Focus was.

Yo man, was lovely meeting you guys too! sorry I had to run away mid convo, shop was hella busy as you could see haha - but aye, hope you guys had a sick time in Edinburgh, and hopefully see you again if you ever find yourself back here  8)