Author Topic: Globe Shoes  (Read 2459 times)

sexualhelon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
Globe Shoes
« on: April 04, 2023, 05:14:14 AM »
Anyone skated their shoes since they had the sort of rebranding w/ Gillette? I'm thinking of trying a pair but are they even comparable to the larger brands like DC/Nike/Adidas as far as quality comfort goes? I remember having a pair back in the day and hated it.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
Re: Globe Shoes
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2023, 05:17:10 AM »
Too expensive for my blood.

IpathCats

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2023, 06:00:03 AM »
.....Nah

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2023, 06:10:35 AM »
I had a pair of the mid top Sammy montano shoes and they were ok but also the only vulc that has given me knee trouble in a while.

WideFeet

• Rep: 82
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2023, 06:14:34 AM »
I’ve thought about getting a pair. Materials are quality on them. The insoles are feel really nice.

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 115
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2023, 06:50:08 AM »
I had a weird pair of Glerbs in like 2001. Better quality than circa at the time. Glerb.

Cord Winer

• Rep: -1
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2023, 07:16:05 AM »
I've tried a few pairs of the Surplus and they're pretty good but the initial retail price is a bit steep. The Gillette's look okay but the price of $120 is way to much.

FirstTimeCaller411

• Rep: -12
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2023, 07:16:41 AM »
I heard austyn’s new shoe is actually extremely comfortable but to answer your question… no I’ve never tried a pair on. Haha. I’m interest in the Dover as a little more of a dressier shoe though.

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2023, 08:11:59 AM »
i had a pair of motley mids a few years ago and they lasted a long time

beautifulcannolis

• Rep: -6
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2023, 08:47:03 AM »
Yeah I'm interested as well. I'm curious how they justify the pricing, but as others have said definitely too much cash right now. Gonna try and grab a pair of the Gillettes when I can find them for like a half the price.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2023, 10:27:00 AM »
Ah, yeah, I was thinking of trying the Mahalo plus since I saw them on sale somewhere. The Gillette's aren't so much my style but they're def unique looking for a skate shoe, ha. I was referencing him because I remember reading/hearing an interview where he mentioned getting involved with Globe and doing a sort of rebranding.

I was comparing them against the Joslin Vulc's and, now that I think I about it, the last time I had a pair of Etnies was probably the OG Accels.

montanaco

• Rep: -3
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2023, 10:56:51 AM »
fiance got me the new gilette shoe. Like other said, extremely comfortable and materials feel shockingly nice. The rubber toe is extremely flexible and a much thinner rubber than what it looks like in pics. I can see my toes moving underneath, its definitely not stiff or hard.

The only issue I have with it (which I have with 99% of low tops) is the heel lock doesn't feel secure at all. Walking casually I can feel my heel lifting, but again I have that issue with most lowtops. Can't say its worth the price tag, but it is a really nice shoe.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2023, 12:01:27 PM »
Ah, yeah, I was thinking of trying the Mahalo plus since I saw them on sale somewhere. The Gillette's aren't so much my style but they're def unique looking for a skate shoe, ha. I was referencing him because I remember reading/hearing an interview where he mentioned getting involved with Globe and doing a sort of rebranding.

I was comparing them against the Joslin Vulc's and, now that I think I about it, the last time I had a pair of Etnies was probably the OG Accels.

I think the rebranding is in his head,  Globe is still the same
Don't be fooled this brand sucks.

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2023, 12:20:47 PM »
I have a pair of the Austyn dover shoe. They are extremely comfortable. I got them on sale and will skate them next.

Argyle

• Rep: 38
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2023, 02:41:56 PM »
I have a pair of the Austyn dover shoe. They are extremely comfortable. I got them on sale and will skate them next.

Looks like Austin Heilman (he of foundation) will be on as well. He's riding the Gillette Dover on Instagram and they look really nice. Might have to try and find a bargain pair

zozu

• Rep: 122
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2023, 12:10:23 AM »
I dont understand the pricing on Globes, Gillettes are $120 bucks in both AUD and USD. Do they not want to succeed in the overseas market?
$120 is pretty cheap for a skate shoe here they are usually like 150-200.

Skrotum

• Rep: 12
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2023, 12:51:37 AM »
Yeah I’ve skated the new globes I actually love their new tread for vulc shoes they are using a good durometer of rubber, nice and grippy and long lasting. The the only issue for me is none of their shoe models really spark that interest for me.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Get bent
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2023, 06:46:19 AM »
I like appleyards shoe, wish they would put it out again without the rubber caps everywhere, actually I skated the Shit outta the first appleyard globe too, the Gillette looks pretty crazy honestly, the Chetty Thomas nubs, how the tongue cuts out, and the (I’m guessing rubber) sidewall, but the older globe models I had held up well with super glue, and if you don’t mind paying 120 bucks for a low top rubber bootie go for it, I couldn’t pull it off
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

Mosritemike

• Rep: 9
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2023, 01:46:18 PM »
I have a few pairs. I like the Appleyards with the Ollie pad and toe stitching so I have a few pairs of those. Easy on and off summer shoe. Cheap enough I don’t mind going without socks

Bought a pair of the new Austyns. As above, surprised by how thin the rubber is. Fancy insole which feels nice, but given it’s a thin vulc without a ton of structure, it makes it feel like you are riding high in the shoe (aka feels like a sprained ankle waiting to happen). Good looking chiller doe.

Xo Gossip Berle

commie

• Rep: 17
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2023, 05:25:32 PM »
Mahalo Plus were kinda hard to break in. I had a couple really bad sessions to the point I decided to skate some other shoes for a while. Eventually I went back to them and they skated ok once broken in. They weren't the best heelflip shoe. Overall 6/10 never again.

jimgrude

• Rep: 67
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2023, 12:13:25 AM »
Man, I miss those shitty, brown Globe Finale shoes all us broke teenagers would skate exclusively back in the early 2000s

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Get bent
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2023, 06:11:26 AM »
Man, I miss those shitty, brown Globe Finale shoes all us broke teenagers would skate exclusively back in the early 2000s

What was the one before that one that everyone was wearing? When lutzska was riding for them? The mojo?? I remember getting that one and being slightly impressed
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2023, 09:47:46 AM »
Growing up buying gravis and huf dylans, I've come to terms that I'm too ugly to wear shoes like these.

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2023, 03:23:40 PM »
I just bought his shoe as I wanted to support him & his vision for a fresh start, he is one of very few I believe in to turn that brand around in skateboarding. Great first session, I felt comfortable with all my go to tricks right out of the box. By far one of the best sock liner (in sole) I’ve ever had in a skate shoe, nice and thick (that’s what @GAY said) without the compromise of board feel.

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2023, 06:40:13 PM »
My buddy got the cream surplus high tops and I think they look pretty cool. He’s not a skater but said they are comfortable enough.
I’m going to keep my eye out for a sale but that’s the extent of my interest

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2023, 05:26:49 AM »
I'm neither a fan of Austyn or Globe but I just got a pair of the black Gillette lows because I had some gift cards to use and wanted something low and black without logos. They're pretty nice for a vulc/chiller shoe. Don't know if i'll skate them but they definitely feel nice. The insole is thicker than what I had in a pair of the Montano highs. It feels somewhere inbetween the state insoles and popcush.

Kfresh

• Rep: 8
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2023, 05:46:47 AM »
 The black/white low tops are kinda growing on me. I like the look of Jack Purcells, these kinda feel similar.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2023, 06:06:25 AM »
I've been seeing this dude at the gym with a pair of Gillette's on, who clearly skates them. I've never seen him at the DIY or park 2 miles from the gym.

but yeah, it's really hard to justify a pair of globes in my mind when you consider what other quality shoes you can get for a lesser MSRP.

icedancer

• Rep: -11
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2023, 11:41:07 PM »
Hate to bump an old thread I’m but about the pull the trigger on a pair of Gillette mids and wondering if someone who has tried to skate them can either encourage me or talk me out of this purchase.

marcusbutler

• Rep: 39
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2023, 12:01:29 AM »
The last vulc shoe I skated was the encore 2. I would skate the og back in the day and saw they put out the remake. I had to get it. Nothing special. Another vulc shoe. Mostly ride NB# cupsoles now.
We rode 7.5's" and didn't complain.