Author Topic: Fear of commitment  (Read 1124 times)

modern life is war

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
Fear of commitment
« on: April 09, 2023, 09:16:43 PM »
Not committing holds me back from learning and landing a lot of new tricks. Does anyone have any tips for getting over that big hump? 
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
Re: Fear of commitment
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2023, 05:55:30 AM »
Stepwise.

Have tricks on lock on flat then take them to the obstacle. Don't skate something too big if you're not confident, do it on a medium obstacle first to build confidence and then try.

JoseCansnake0

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: -37
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2023, 12:56:26 PM »
Stepwise.

Have tricks on lock on flat then take them to the obstacle. Don't skate something too big if you're not confident, do it on a medium obstacle first to build confidence and then try.

This.

And when the time comes, you just gotta throw one up there, for better or for worse :)

Logic

• Rep: 35
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2023, 02:15:42 PM »
I found if I kept at whatever I am trying long enough to start getting a little bit frustrated, the anger would help me commit. Usually takes me around 15 - 20 minutes of repeatedly rolling up or bailing to reach that point.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2023, 02:46:37 PM »
Protection/pads, meditation, drugs, good homie vibes and cute girls

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2023, 06:38:08 PM »

How do you use meditation to help commit to tricks?

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 456
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2023, 06:49:47 PM »
I found if I kept at whatever I am trying long enough to start getting a little bit frustrated, the anger would help me commit. Usually takes me around 15 - 20 minutes of repeatedly rolling up or bailing to reach that point.

I had left the forever Beagle tapes stream going with the sound off on my PC the other day and my son started watching it and asking what it was. He's like "This guy isn't even doing anything!" it was that clip of Muska rolling up like 100 times to this handrail against the wall with kids watching before he does it first actual try. My son started to get bored pretty quickly but I said to watch it it's a good lesson in persistence, building up your confidence and not giving up. It is kind of crazy to watch but I love that tape. That's what your post made me think of anyway.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2023, 08:41:16 PM »
The way of bushido says to clear your mind of even success because you can't think of one without the other.

All you know is doing and all you must be in that moment is doing. That's the meditation.

Remember, you never let your self talk be "I can't..."

You need to align your thoughts with "I am working toward making it..." instead. Always believe the next one might be it.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2023, 09:00:33 PM »
I really appreciate all the advice so far but I think @layzieyez has my favorite so far. I don't know if this is exactly what you meant but I interpreted it as basically a mantra of acceptance in the process of learning the trick. Acceptance that the bailed tricks are just part of the process, and when the time is right you will commit and you eventually land it. Thanks again!

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2023, 02:24:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

For me it's not something to do in the moment when you're actually trying a trick. But since I've started meditating regularly, my mind is a lot clearer and less stressed, which led to me commiting and progressing much faster.
Also try noticing what you feel (and think) when you can't commit to something. Dissapointed, sad, angry, stressed? Do you actually 100% want to do it? Do you know you're not fully ready to do it because you skipped some step? All those thoughts stopped me from doing it. Once your mind is clear you can really "just" do it
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 02:33:37 AM by goodatmeth »

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2023, 04:56:26 AM »
The way of bushido says to clear your mind of even success because you can't think of one without the other.

All you know is doing and all you must be in that moment is doing. That's the meditation.

Remember, you never let your self talk be "I can't..."

You need to align your thoughts with "I am working toward making it..." instead. Always believe the next one might be it.

This is what I would have responded too but worded in a better way than I would have done it. Don't think, mythify or project over the trick you're doing. The more you do the more you turn it into a battle against something else. It's a skate trick, if you have the basic technique for it all figured out then of course you will do it, you can do it, why wouldn't you do it?

Do you actually 100% want to do it?

And this is big too and usually the true answer to the above question way more often than people dare realize.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2023, 06:45:52 AM »
Do not think about anything at all while trying your trick besides self preservation
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

djoekr

• Rep: 290
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2023, 07:51:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

For me it's not something to do in the moment when you're actually trying a trick. But since I've started meditating regularly, my mind is a lot clearer and less stressed, which led to me commiting and progressing much faster.
Also try noticing what you feel (and think) when you can't commit to something. Dissapointed, sad, angry, stressed? Do you actually 100% want to do it? Do you know you're not fully ready to do it because you skipped some step? All those thoughts stopped me from doing it. Once your mind is clear you can really "just" do it

This is actually good advice. I'm going to start being mindful about these kinda factors. I've been battling skating higher ledges for some time, while I had them on lock about a year ago. Mostly skated the comfortable local curb spot, as there aren't any good ledges in my area, which made me lose the ability to ollie into a higher obstacle. I am 100% able to skate that kinda stuff, as I've already done it before and my ollie has only improved over time so it's definitely a mental problem. Hope that this advice is the piece that I've been missing the past months.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

switchfakie

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2023, 09:25:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Stepwise.

[close]

This.

And when the time comes, you just gotta throw one up there, for better or for worse :)

agreed

i.e. drop in first on a 2 foot quarter -> 3 foot -> 5 foot etc
or
kicky down a curb -> 2 stair -> ledge -> 4 stair etc

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2023, 03:23:43 AM »
Yes to the incremental approach. And, no joke, exhaling before the trick. The more afraid you get, the more tense you become, the less the chance to actually do it, or do it right. It might help to consicously exhale during set-up. It does it for me at least.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 763
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2023, 10:15:23 AM »
Short runup

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2023, 10:37:14 AM »
Yeah I was afraid of commitment for a while but then my landlord jacked up the rent like $500 so I moved in with my girlfriend, and it’s actually been really chill