Author Topic: SOLO: What’s going on with skate shops right now?  (Read 6355 times)

Frank

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
Re: SOLO: What’s going on with skate shops right now?
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2023, 04:54:53 PM »
At my (newish and only) local, the owner works the counter with a gun on his hip while his giant unleashed dog sniffs your crotch. The shrine of Jamie Thomas jesus boards brings it all together. No idea how they're going to survive this economy with these vibes, it's certainly the last place I want to be. But maybe I'm too sensitive... sigh.

no i'd definitely avoid that place like the plague from that description and just order stuff online. sorry this is your only local.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1031
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2023, 08:07:28 PM »
https://soloskatemag.com/whats-going-on-with-skateshops-right-now

Good piece about the current situation

Expand Quote
We recently chatted with Heiko Schöller from the Concrete Wave shop in Cologne and he was suggesting to do an article about the current situation skate shops are facing cause some already had to close in the aftermath of COVID and some supposedly will, he assumed. Yeah, we said, that’s definitely an important thing to talk about, but after we started working on it, it pretty quickly turned out that it’s a bit more complex than just that. There’s not just one problem causing the situation, the effects influence everybody in the market, not just shops, and in the end, there is not even something like your typical skate shop anymore. But that only drew us deeper into the topic, so we wanted to find out more. Some of it might sound like old news, but some of it surprised us.
[close]

I only just found this, while looking on Google of all places for something else, but it is a good read.

Thanks for putting this up too - sure I am late to the party, but it is worth reading.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

bipbopdoppel

• Rep: 0
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2023, 04:33:53 AM »
i also think the classic shop model is dying. after the wave of boutique shops i think what we will see more is hybrid shops. what i mean is skateboard culture flavored shops that also sell skate stuff. it would depend on local scenes and what they are interested in. in my country in some cities scenes like skateboarding and graffiti sometimes cooperate to run a skate/graffiti store situation. skateshops turning into shops that don't only sell hardware and softgoods, but generally stuff skateboarders of the local scene are interested in. or maybe shops could form buyer's clubs to negotiate better prices. either way, skateshops need to be run smarter and the industry also needs to produce smarter. it was pretty clear that overordering during a product drought might result in stuff arriving way too late when the window to sell all that is already gone. but everyone wanted to be that shop that's got it in stock while no one else got anything. it's kind of true that shops are dead as hang outs, at least in my experience. also since many shops look a lot like supreme now, they are also often uncomfortable to hang out in, seeming more like liminal spaces than ever before. the feeling of running into the living room of a skatehouse that happens to be stocked with product you can buy is pretty much gone nowadays, for better or for worse.

This happened in my hometown. Core skate shop shut down some years ago and now we have this weirdly mixed shop that started as a IKEA design shop but the owner is somewhat interested in skate/graffiti culture so he stocked the shop with some hardware and their own merch and also spraycans, pens etc. Going into the shop and seeing these design Vases, lamps and chairs coupled with skateboards on the wall and spray cans is really weird haha  ;D

Edit: Shop is located on the main shopping street so its definitely not a hangout place either

Cord Winer

• Rep: -1
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2023, 05:10:43 AM »
As much as people rip on the sales, it's a good way to support smaller shops around the country and even outside. A lot of places sell out of my size almost immediately so often I have to find another shop. I've ordered from probably well over a dozen shops at this point over the last few years. I remember fondly one year I ordered a pair of Dill Snakeskin Sambas from a small shop in Utah around Christmas (which at that point was a lot of my money spent), and they sent a pack of milano cookies with it.
I love when shops throw in freebies. The Milanos made me laugh. A long time ago Skatepark of Tampa gave me a VHS copy of Habitat Mosaic in an order. Was stoked on that.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2023, 10:39:37 AM »
My local certainly keeps things solid & is active in the city & was the main advocate & face in getting the city a skatepark which is going to be coming soon. The shop itself has everything & if not, he’ll try to order it for you. If they don’t, I’ll just go to the Vans store. Proud to say all of my hardgoods are from shops. Vermont’s Maven has also been a nice online option for me as they always have sick stuff with affordable & fast shipping.

The whole push of this colorway & alternative size has existed long before COVID as I used to work at shop & that was part of our sales pitch. In the age where the internet was not so prevalent, it worked, but now it’s really a gamble & I feel like it only works with younger people. I’ll speak for myself that I wouldn’t budge on a shoe color or size of a board. Bottom line is the fat cats at these companies need to be kinder to shops if the want skate shops to stick around. Otherwise brands directly  to consumer will be viable & arguably favorable.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2023, 04:12:18 PM by Mr. Kamikazi »

Sold Out

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2023, 12:44:35 PM »
At my (newish and only) local, the owner works the counter with a gun on his hip while his giant unleashed dog sniffs your crotch. The shrine of Jamie Thomas jesus boards brings it all together. No idea how they're going to survive this economy with these vibes, it's certainly the last place I want to be. But maybe I'm too sensitive... sigh.

If this is the case, you should find a good local shop to support online. NJ, KCDC, Kingswell, No Comply, there's lots of amazing shops that do free shipping online and it's nice to put money in their pocket. Every dollar really does count. If a local shop overages $1000/day and you're looking to spend $100, that makes a huge difference to a small local.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 526
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2023, 03:01:10 PM »
I want to quit my job and start a skate shop with my friend. We have leads on startup capital and an amazing location that has become available and is already set up well for a shop. Envisioning partnerships/special events with a local coffee shop we are connected to, and even teaming up with farmer's market vendors my homie is close with to do things like flower sales, idk. A skatepark is in the design process and is still a few years out, but the shop could serve as the conduit for fundraising and contributing to the small skate scene that already exists here.

I know there are a few heads on here that run their own shop ( @MOE SYZLAK ?)... any advice in making it these days would be welcome in the PM's.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 827
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2023, 03:38:31 PM »
I want to quit my job and start a skate shop with my friend. We have leads on startup capital and an amazing location that has become available and is already set up well for a shop. Envisioning partnerships/special events with a local coffee shop we are connected to, and even teaming up with farmer's market vendors my homie is close with to do things like flower sales, idk. A skatepark is in the design process and is still a few years out, but the shop could serve as the conduit for fundraising and contributing to the small skate scene that already exists here.

I know there are a few heads on here that run their own shop ( @MOE SYZLAK ?)... any advice in making it these days would be welcome in the PM's.
Shoot me a PM with any questions you might have. The shops email is also up on the website if you want to hit me up that way. Just shoot me some questions and I’ll happily answer any that I can!

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1937
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2023, 04:47:53 PM »

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=115771.0

The oft ignored Help section with a good post on this a while back.

Quitting your job to run a skateshop full time will be financially taxing so I hope you have enough start up capital to go without a stable income for at least 12 months. I can't recall which pal mentioned it but he said for the entirety of him running his shop he was living below the poverty line, so manage your expectations about lifestyle changes that come with being a small business owner.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2023, 05:02:17 PM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

sle_epy

• Rep: -94
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2023, 06:05:59 PM »
Expand Quote
I’d love to support local skate shops. I just wish they wouldn’t suck.

“We have the wheels you want…it‘s just another duro and 2mm bigger :)
“Oh, these shoes are similar to the ones you’re looking for. It’s just another brand and they look better in lime green anyways”
Let alone the too cool for school vibe, how expensive they are compared to online shops and let’s be real here: the newest vhs tapes, demos, signings, video premieres and events are either a thing of the past or just super rare outside the US.

Anyways, I love the romantic idea of a local skate shop. Would support via gofundme if run by nice people.
[close]
My local is a great place but the store near my old town was kind of wack. I think a big issue is barrier to entry and snootyness from a lot of store employees/owners. I worked retail for a good number of years for a higher end luxury brand and we always tried to make any customer feel as comfortable as possible, answer every question and build up relationships. Unfortunately, a lot of shops are run by people with no retail experience, and see the people who stop in as dollar signs. They just don't get it. Relationships with the locals is the only way to stay in business, especially considering the dunk craze is near dead and the economy is shrinking as a whole. I do get the feeling from a lot of shops that they don't want people to come in and hang out unless they're all friends. Not naming names but I know for a fact that some shops purposely would let their friends know about FCFS releases on Dunks so that they would all get scooped up by resellers, or they would rig raffles. Really pissed off some of the locals to have that kind of stuff happen.

Lame, but I'm pretty sure in any city there's a reason why the same subset of skaters always get their hands on the latest dunks no matter the scarcity. Shops always have ppl they set them aside for even if there's a "raffle" to keep up appearances. If they have 10 pairs they already know where 9 are going. Plus the same dudes are always shouting out the shop in their IG stories after. No way they just randomly win that much.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 526
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2023, 06:28:19 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=115771.0

The oft ignored Help section with a good post on this a while back.

Quitting your job to run a skateshop full time will be financially taxing so I hope you have enough start up capital to go without a stable income for at least 12 months. I can't recall which pal mentioned it but he said for the entirety of him running his shop he was living below the poverty line, so manage your expectations about lifestyle changes that come with being a small business owner.

So good, thanks for pointing me that direction! I had read the Philly (Humidity) interview when it came out but that Jenkem video about the dude doing it in his apt in NYC was so good. Those guys have the attitude that I do... it's just about giving to the community and pouring into the skate scene that's happening here. No intentions of making big $$$ or anything. We are really interested in doing more than just selling product... I'm a certified teacher so I really want to create a space for youth to hang out, read, do art, be safe, and hopefully start skating. My sister and her husband make good money selling flowers and combining that operation is an idea too. One thing I don't have is savings lol... we'd be looking at a loan from interested parties.

We do have a renowned shop about an hour away that friends work at. We've talked about approaching them and the owners and asking about doing a "little brother" type operation. Fratellino Skateshop, if you will lol... idk, I have no idea how to start this kind of thing up, but it's a dream that's becoming harder and harder to ignore.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

crescentfresh

• Rep: 48
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2023, 07:07:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If this is the case, you should find a good local shop to support online. NJ, KCDC, Kingswell, No Comply, there's lots of amazing shops that do free shipping online and it's nice to put money in their pocket. Every dollar really does count. If a local shop overages $1000/day and you're looking to spend $100, that makes a huge difference to a small local.

Definitely, thanks for the list. I also hit up shops while traveling, which has helped me find rad little spots like Passion in Eau Claire, WI. I'm gonna throw some cash their way for their kids skate program now: https://www.passionboardshop.com/skateboards4kids

Septa Bus

• Rep: -59
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2023, 05:13:49 AM »
something to note too, i find that there are some immense hurdles to just get product in shops.

certain brands (Nike, Vans, Primitive to name a few big ones) will let you open an account, contingent of course on the fact you purchase products (keychains, doo-dads that will collect dust most likely) or shoe styles that typically underperform or straight up don’t sell.

sure, you sell the few popular items you initially wanted to stock, but then you take the loss on the others and wind up losing money.

i see that the smaller, local brands sell quicker and respond more to the skaters in my area anyway.
Expand Quote
This is shaping up to be Bunt of the Year
[close]
I hope you like home runs fucker

skunty

• Rep: 73
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2023, 08:06:57 AM »
Like the article said, just being a place to buy things with a cool environment and good service is not a good enough reason to exist anymore. If you organize your local scene through events etc and/or sponsor locals and create videos and proliferate skate culture locally, your brand will be synonymous with the local skate culture and people will rock it as a signifier of supporting/being part of the local skate culture. If you provide something to skate (like a mini ramp) I think that increases the hang out factor a lot too.

Also - the article mentioned shops buying discounted product from other shops becuase it was cheaper than their distributors. Someone should set up a paradeworld type website but only for shops to buy from other shops at wholesale prices. This way product could move more easily between shops without distributors having to offer returns and stores wouldn't have to rely on discounts to the public that just make it harder to sell new things at full price.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2023, 09:05:21 AM »
Like the article said, just being a place to buy things with a cool environment and good service is not a good enough reason to exist anymore. If you organize your local scene through events etc and/or sponsor locals and create videos and proliferate skate culture locally, your brand will be synonymous with the local skate culture and people will rock it as a signifier of supporting/being part of the local skate culture. If you provide something to skate (like a mini ramp) I think that increases the hang out factor a lot too.

Also - the article mentioned shops buying discounted product from other shops becuase it was cheaper than their distributors. Someone should set up a paradeworld type website but only for shops to buy from other shops at wholesale prices. This way product could move more easily between shops without distributors having to offer returns and stores wouldn't have to rely on discounts to the public that just make it harder to sell new things at full price.
something like a ramp is a great way to build foot traffic, and then once people are in the area they are more likely to spend money on tertiary products like beverages or snacks. i mentioned no-comply in austin earlier, and they're a good example of this: their combination of running a coffee shop plus being around the corner from a skatepark has got to be really good for business. in fact, just in the last few weeks they actually expanded into a larger space on the same block. so it would seem that things are going well for them.

without food/drink and/or a skate spot around, there is a lot less reason for anyone to 'hang out' at a shop. and time equals money. more time spent near the shop means more money spent at the shop. i bet even something as simple as a decent curb out back would actually make a pretty considerable difference.

circle-a skateshop in san jose runs a coffee shop as well. they're in the middle of downtown, so i imagine the cafe biz is big for them as well.

on the other end of the spectrum, in my current neighborhood i just noticed someone opened up a combination rollerskate shop/art and graff supply/used record store. i can't imagine it's gonna last very long. they're clearly trying to diversify their income stream but i don't think the rollerskate scene is big enough to support them, and the other elements of their business are already well-covered by other bigger businesses within a short walking distance. and since they don't serve food or drink and they aren't near a major skatespot, there's really no reason anyone would spend time hanging out there.

its a shame paradeworld has gone under, even tho i assume they were ripping off shops somehow. it was a nice idea, to make it easier to support independent shops while getting the products we actually want. i hate when i go into a local and they don't have anything i want and then i feel bad not buying anything.

robertsmithhair

• Rep: -1
    • Nice Planet avatar image
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2023, 10:18:05 AM »

Literally working on this functionality right now with itsaniceplanet.com

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 319
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2023, 10:34:16 AM »
I am from the San Fernando Valley in LA and we have a local called ValSurf thats been around the 60s but you can already tell its not a "pure" skateshop - its got the surf/snow/skate combo which is something i noticed that can help a shop last long.  Otherwise we have this mall brand called Boarders which is like zumiez but not as lame. T

I know i always bring this up - but my experience living in China - the shops there had a whole other experience. We'd actually hang out at the shop after sessions. There were even rainy days I went to the shop with a 6 pack and we'd hang out there and order takeout food.

A lot of shops and indoor parks in Asia also do skate lessons/skate schools which can be a big money maker.

It sucks for the current day and age of retail, online shopping etc  but i think skateshops are a key part of most skateboarding scenes.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2023, 10:57:44 AM »
“Jörg recites a statistic he has seen recently about a big brand saying they are making 50% of their revenue on products on sale (which probably isn’t the healthiest business model).”

Emerica?

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2023, 11:29:16 AM »
Thanks Cariuma!

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1937
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2023, 04:54:24 PM »
I am from the San Fernando Valley in LA and we have a local called ValSurf thats been around the 60s but you can already tell its not a "pure" skateshop - its got the surf/snow/skate combo which is something i noticed that can help a shop last long.  Otherwise we have this mall brand called Boarders which is like zumiez but not as lame. T

I know i always bring this up - but my experience living in China - the shops there had a whole other experience. We'd actually hang out at the shop after sessions. There were even rainy days I went to the shop with a 6 pack and we'd hang out there and order takeout food.

A lot of shops and indoor parks in Asia also do skate lessons/skate schools which can be a big money maker.

It sucks for the current day and age of retail, online shopping etc  but i think skateshops are a key part of most skateboarding scenes.

Skateboarding lessons are big business, even better if you have an attached space adjacent to the shop.

The shop vibes depend vastly on the country, some shops will be very welcoming to foreign skaters, others have a strong locals-only vibe.

Depending on the country / state, you can get by just selling high end skate apparel and boards. Sell nothing but Dime / FA / Rassvet / Poets and price skate products above MSRP. Helps to be situated near a fashion district so you get clout by proximity.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m