Do you use bearing spacers?

yes
28 (56%)
no
21 (42%)
do some necklace with it
1 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: Bearing Spacers  (Read 627 times)

Bill Salt

Bearing Spacers
« on: October 15, 2023, 07:48:17 AM »
Do you use bearing spacers?

Dustgod

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Re: Bearing Spacers
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2023, 08:17:03 AM »
They’re usually included with trucks, so why not use them? Is there an argument against it?
Nice to meet you, I’m a artis

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2023, 08:35:20 AM »
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

linty

• Rep: 37
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2023, 09:37:53 AM »
They’re usually included with trucks, so why not use them? Is there an argument against it?
Are you thinking of washers?

Had no problems with spacers but stopped using them several sets ago. Swiss last a few years regardless.

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 115
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2023, 10:38:17 AM »
The truth is, they are useless unless the inner race of the wheel is exactly the same width as the spacer. This seems like a rare occurrence, because every time I’ve tried to use them, they either rattle in between the bearings or push a bearing out, risking actual damage to the bearings.

Fuck spacers. Don’t listen to anyone who says to use them.

Dustgod

• Rep: 0
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2023, 10:42:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Are you thinking of washers?

Damn, I am yea lol
Nice to meet you, I’m a artis

DERBY

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2023, 11:36:45 AM »
i use the ones that come with bronson g3s. they tend to fit the spitfire classic shape the best

OhioGuy

• Rep: 64
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2023, 12:44:03 PM »
I use them and washers but pop the shields on my bearings. So they get fucked up anyway 😂

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 583
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2023, 05:25:06 PM »
I use them and washers but pop the shields on my bearings. So they get fucked up anyway 😂

If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2023, 05:36:23 PM »
Used them on spits (classics n conical fulls) , rictas, slimeballs wheels.. And drkrm wheels..fits like a glove..hate the rattling sound of loose wheels

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 724
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2023, 06:55:08 PM »
Too heavy.  I need to get this thing off the ground. 

bombsaway86

• Rep: 160
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2023, 09:10:44 PM »
My bearings stopped backing out of the wheels when I stopped using spacers

LebowskisRug

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2023, 10:10:00 PM »
Spacers are stupid. The outer race is secured against the wheel, you don't need the inner race perfectly lined up. Most bearings on wheeled objects with bearings that rotate around an axle do not use spacers.

They're probably not going to hurt ya if you really wanna run em, but they won't save your bearings magically. For me they seem to be correlated with my bearings jamming more. I'd imagine there are cases where the outer part of the wheel twists and the spacer prevents the inner race from twisting a bit as well.

Nymphicus hollandicus

• Rep: 20
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2023, 11:28:58 PM »
I use them, it might be a bit odd but to counter the spacer often being too short and rattling around I use both 1x spacer and 1x washer between each bearing (along with the usual 1x washer each side of the wheel). I find that adding a washer/speed ring between the bearings allows the spacer to engage and do its job. I tighten the axle nut down so it all engages and then go often less than 1/4 turn back off so there is just the tiniest amount of wiggle in the wheel but that it still feels solid, not that clicking side to side play that you can hear when wheels are on relatively loose. I've noticed that axles are rarely cast 100% straight even when new (at least with Ventures) and find it is hard to get spacers to work properly on their own anyway.
I definitely get that a lot of people don't like spacers and wouldn't go for them but personally I do like the solid/non-rattling feel of my wheels when fitted like this. 
(As a side note doing this it also pushes the axle nut out to flush which I like to do to protect the axle threads). It only works with newer trucks though and not if the axle ends are even slightly too worn.

Bill Salt

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2023, 12:31:13 AM »
Personnaly I use them.It manage the bearings to last longer and it's good for powerslides.Thing is to get the right height to lock the inner rings of bearing in the pit.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 12:45:54 AM by Bill Salt »

Bongwater Mojito

• Rep: 56
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2023, 12:35:58 AM »
I have not yet had wheels that would have too wide inner spacing for any spacers I've used. Too narrow, yes.

I personally use spacers, and my argumentation for them is that when they're properly in place, they half the impact and load sideways, by contacting the both bearings of the wheel. That happens even when there's play in wheel. I usually tighten the wheel up (and with spacer and both washers, it should still rotate smoothly, but with "dead" boardfeel), then loosen the nut 1/4 turn.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 12:42:56 AM by Bongwater Mojito »

vktrvghn

• Rep: 28
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2023, 12:36:45 AM »
I use them if they come with the bearings but I'm not sure if it makes a difference to me. 2 washers on the inside and one on the out so my axels don't get mashed up is more important.

Bill Salt

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2023, 12:50:06 AM »
Yeah it's better to use the ones comming with the bearings but sometimes it's shitty aluminium ones.They often get squashed and deformed, getting useless prett quick...I recently got some steel ones with the prefect and it's a game changer really.It rolls great.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 677
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2023, 08:00:30 AM »
I have run with and without and never noticed any significant difference...
I noticed when I put together Indy 159 trucks with OJ 58mm Hardline Wheels and Bronson G3 bearings, it all worked together very nicely with the washers + spacers, almost as if they all came from the same NHS Fun Factory  ;D. I can tighten the nut all the way tight and everything has a perfect amount of play to spin at full speed. the load is perfectly distributed across metal throughout the entire wheel. Never had any other setup fit together like this before.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2023, 08:06:17 AM »
Spacers do not work and don't belong in your wheels. I don't know why they continue to ship these things out when even Bones bearing spacers do not fit properly into Bones wheels. Just complete crap, totally useless.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2023, 09:18:43 AM »
In about a trillion years of skating I had only a single set of wheels where the spacers would fit and wouldn't rattle. I'm still hoping to get another perfectly aligned spacer/wheel combo. That's why I continue using them. Hope dies last.

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -298
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2023, 09:37:05 AM »
I don't use them. They usually don't fit and I don't like cranking the nut down all the way. I want the axle nut to be flush with no threads showing. This protects the axle threads whenever I primo.