Author Topic: Griptape blues  (Read 1888 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Griptape blues
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2023, 11:01:18 AM »
Not sure if a thread already exists and direct me please if yes. I'm probably going to get kooked into oblivion for this but I seem to have lost the skill of gripping up a board. Every time for the past four or five boards, the grip has either bubbled significantly, and/or lifted along the edges. W.T.F? I've been setting up boards for nearly 30 years and never had a problem, I also ran a kind of skate shop for my local crew in the 90s and would set up boards for others too with never a drama. Is anyone else finding this? Do you sand decks first nowadays or something, did I miss something while on hiatus? MOB grip btw, for all these past five boards. Any advice appreciated.

It's a [regs] MOB thing (not M80, if you can find it) I think, I always seem to have creases and shit, it's very stiff..Jessup Ultra works fine...but too grippy for me now.

Try pepper...it's thin so flexible, has perforations (so no bubbles), doesn't seem to crease for me on the kicks, grip is perfect and it lasts.

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2023, 11:14:36 AM »
Fuck MOB and their white power ads! Haven't used it since that shit went down. I do remember it being the most difficult to apply. Sometimes getting creases in the kicks. I tried almost everything after MOB and god damn do most grips suck ass. Most lose their grip way too quick for me, as does MOB. When Jessup Ultra Grip came around I tried that and have been on it ever since. It's definitely easier to apply than MOB, about as grippy and holds up better than anything else I've tried. Do not get the Jessup x Nike Ultra NBD though. That's the worst shit out there. I've yet to try Miles and Pepper. Got a sheet of both but I haven't gotten round to test those yet.

Terminal

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2023, 11:40:47 AM »
Yeah thanks all. I'll probably rip the MOB off (as the bubbles are going to do my head in) and try Jessup ultra or Pepper. There seems to be a general trend of satisfaction with those two.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 359
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2023, 12:03:03 PM »
Fuck MOB and their white power ads! Haven't used it since that shit went down. I do remember it being the most difficult to apply. Sometimes getting creases in the kicks. I tried almost everything after MOB and god damn do most grips suck ass. Most lose their grip way too quick for me, as does MOB. When Jessup Ultra Grip came around I tried that and have been on it ever since. It's definitely easier to apply than MOB, about as grippy and holds up better than anything else I've tried. Do not get the Jessup x Nike Ultra NBD though. That's the worst shit out there. I've yet to try Miles and Pepper. Got a sheet of both but I haven't gotten round to test those yet.

What are these white power ads you speak of?
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2206
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2023, 01:43:51 PM »
Was at the spot not long ago when a fella rolls up & proceeds to set up a fresh deck, new grip & all.
Comes to find he's got no blade on him, so he mounts the trucks 1st, lays down the grip down over the screws & pats out the bubs, then grabs the board by both trucks and starts scraping the entire edge, full perimeter, against the nearby curb.
He goes at this for a couple minutes & then just tears the excess material away, easy as wet paper.
Darndest thing I've set my eyes to in quite some while, I rekon.
It wasn't even that ratty looking of a grip job, if I'm to be honest.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2023, 02:15:31 PM »
that's crazy!^

not brand related but ever pull off the backing and have the sheet snap back on itself? lol, faceplam, been a long while since i've done that. seems to happen when it's peeled fast hanging out in front of you.

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 132
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2023, 03:49:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Fuck MOB and their white power ads! Haven't used it since that shit went down. I do remember it being the most difficult to apply. Sometimes getting creases in the kicks. I tried almost everything after MOB and god damn do most grips suck ass. Most lose their grip way too quick for me, as does MOB. When Jessup Ultra Grip came around I tried that and have been on it ever since. It's definitely easier to apply than MOB,
[close]

Jason Jessee had an ad and had band members from a white power band or some shit with ski mask in it. Mf thought he was slick and was going to slip them in like a subliminal message, but if Led zeppelin didn't get away with subliminal messages, neither was he.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2023, 05:56:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Fuck MOB and their white power ads! Haven't used it since that shit went down. I do remember it being the most difficult to apply. Sometimes getting creases in the kicks. I tried almost everything after MOB and god damn do most grips suck ass. Most lose their grip way too quick for me, as does MOB. When Jessup Ultra Grip came around I tried that and have been on it ever since. It's definitely easier to apply than MOB,
[close]

[close]

Jason Jessee had an ad and had band members from a white power band or some shit with ski mask in it. Mf thought he was slick and was going to slip them in like a subliminal message, but if Led zeppelin didn't get away with subliminal messages, neither was he.

That drama was ages ago tho...just don't buy his 'Hard Luck' shit.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2023, 06:19:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Two words:
Black Magic.
[close]

I second black magic.  I also found that using a tennis ball is a good way to keep the bubbles away

Got my nostalgia boner going, where do you guys get Black Magic grip online?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Fifty8mm

« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2023, 07:09:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I don't give a shit. I was just answering and don't like mob grip. Perforated grip is dumb. If you like the grit, that's fine. If you need holes on your grip to lay it on right, then idk what to say.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Two words:
Black Magic.
[close]

I second black magic.  I also found that using a tennis ball is a good way to keep the bubbles away
[close]

Socal skateshop has it and the shortys website has it.
That's the only hassle. Hardly any shop carries it. Skate warehouse used to carry it but not no more.

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2023, 07:38:49 PM »
Those blades that are trapeze shaped that go into box cutters have always been the worst experience for me. Those things stunted my growth at learning how to cut grip properly it was always such a disaster, I'd just ask the shop to grip it for me, and cringe at myself. Then one day I used a fresh one of the other type that has the comfy rounded side on it for your fingers, and it changed everything. As long as I use those blades, I never have any issues with cutting clean and proper.

As far as bubbles go, in regards to jessup, black magic, or pepper, I never really get them. I line the grip up meticulously and start from one end and lay it down and press at the same time, working my way down to the other end. I feel like the quick and dirty method of just placing it on the board and then pressing from the center outward, is a recipe for bubbles. Might just need to switch up your technique? I can't comment on Mob since I heard and read it was thicker, creases, cuts like shit, etc. So I just avoided it.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2023, 10:39:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I don't give a shit. I was just answering and don't like mob grip. Perforated grip is dumb. If you like the grit, that's fine. If you need holes on your grip to lay it on right, then idk what to say.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Two words:
Black Magic.
[close]

[close]

[close]

That's the only hassle. Hardly any shop carries it. Skate warehouse used to carry it but not no more.

Original poster has problems with grip and perforated grip, might help him.

Ease the fuck up.

Skatewarehouse readily carries BM
https://www.skatewarehouse.com/search-skate.html?start=0&count=30&searchtext=Black+magic

swongolianbbq

• Rep: 44
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2023, 11:05:00 PM »
My last several sheets of jessup have been perfect but the sheet I just got is like, stale. It's crinkly and feels like, dry? And like the grit is finer and like it's not as black

IpathCats

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2023, 06:09:16 AM »
Was at the spot not long ago when a fella rolls up & proceeds to set up a fresh deck, new grip & all.
Comes to find he's got no blade on him, so he mounts the trucks 1st, lays down the grip down over the screws & pats out the bubs, then grabs the board by both trucks and starts scraping the entire edge, full perimeter, against the nearby curb.
He goes at this for a couple minutes & then just tears the excess material away, easy as wet paper.

That's some real tough guy caveman shit. I kinda wanna try it.

A good way to assert your dominance at the skatepark.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2023, 06:49:21 AM »
3 sessions on Mob and the grittiness is really nice for slides and grinds, my feet feel really locked in despite the park being extremely dusty. No love for flip tricks, still way too gritty for me.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Fifty8mm

« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2023, 08:16:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Two words:
Black Magic.
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Ease the fuck up.

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/search-skate.html?start=0&count=30&searchtext=Black+magic

Perforated grip doesn't help at all. Maybe just bubbles but that's about it you could just get a roller. Mob is the thickest grip out there and crinkles like a motherfucker. Winter times? Forget it, the adhesive is ass.

Also skatewarehouse didn't have it a week ago. For like 2 weeks.

Sucks cause i already ordered from socal and they take forever ever to ship.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 645
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2023, 08:38:27 AM »
Man I've exclusively skated mob for years now because I like how gritty and grippy it is and I've never had any problems with it. Be slow and diligent when you're applying and cutting it and you'll be fine.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2023, 10:05:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Two words:
Black Magic.
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Ease the fuck up.

[close]

Perforated grip doesn't help at all. Maybe just bubbles but that's about it you could just get a roller. Mob is the thickest grip out there and crinkles like a motherfucker. Winter times? Forget it, the adhesive is ass.

Also skatewarehouse didn't have it a week ago. For like 2 weeks.

Sucks cause i already ordered from socal and they take forever ever to ship.

Yeah SoCal shipping dropped off after the pandemic, they used to be super fast..usually a day or two for me...I just ordered bearings/bolts/wheels from them and it took 2 days just to process and 2 days to ship (small shit is usually priority mail from them)...anything big like shoes or a board and it's a week plus (I'm 2 hours from them); I use Long Beach Skate as well, that shit is like 2days for a board (I'm in Santa Monica).

Pepper is my go to, it's very similar to Blacck Magic and readily available if not free with boards, even the wider width is the standard freebie.

Jessup Ultra is on par with regs mob, but it's pliable as fuck in comparison.

DeadSquidMask

• Rep: 8
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2023, 10:16:14 AM »
When you guys grip your board, do you save the paper backing? It’s really useful.

Take off paper backing.

Center grip on board and get it gently anchored in a couple spots.

Paper goes on top of the grip and just hold it in place while you smooth out the bubbles and stuff with your hand. You don’t scrape the shit out of your palm because you have the paper in between grip tape and flesh. It takes a little technique but not too hard.

Maybe I grip my board weird.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2023, 10:22:45 AM »
I toss the paper, tried the lay on top of grip to smooth it out, but my application is usually stress free (unless mob kick creases). After it's applied I just step all over it if there's any bubbles just use a blade to pop, then step on them.

DeadSquidMask

• Rep: 8
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2023, 11:10:17 AM »
I toss the paper, tried the lay on top of grip to smooth it out, but my application is usually stress free (unless mob kick creases). After it's applied I just step all over it if there's any bubbles just use a blade to pop, then step on them.

Well that’s pretty rad and very simple. I like it.

swongolianbbq

• Rep: 44
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2023, 12:05:56 PM »
I fold down like two inches of paper back on one end, lay it grip-side down on the floor and center my board on it, then press down the grip on the nose and roll the paper off as I work my way to the tail. Way I've always done it, quick and easy and no bubs

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2023, 12:40:51 PM »
I fold down like two inches of paper back on one end, lay it grip-side down on the floor and center my board on it, then press down the grip on the nose and roll the paper off as I work my way to the tail. Way I've always done it, quick and easy and no bubs

I fuck that method up every time, no idea why.

Hover centered, then plop it down middle first, lay it down towards the nose and tail at the same time, bending it a little to roll with the kicks, then press it on down with hands...then walk on it.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2023, 01:32:32 PM »
Is your buddy Andrew Brophy?
0:42

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2023, 02:10:25 PM »
Two words:
Black Magic.

Still the best