Author Topic: Thoughts on filming a part/homie vid?  (Read 721 times)

MorningSesh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 76
Thoughts on filming a part/homie vid?
« on: April 17, 2023, 04:50:47 PM »
Thoughts on filming a part and/or homie video with your friends with no intention of sponsors or anything like that? I'm probably overthinking it but I've always liked the idea of stacking clips with your friends and putting together a video(s) for fun. I sort of can't help but feel like it may be a bit lame or I'm not a good enough skater to do that which really shouldn't matter if it's a personal project with the homies imo.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
Re: Thoughts on filming a part/homie vid?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2023, 05:16:25 PM »
It will be a fun way to document a period of time on earth with your friends. Do it. I really regret not doing when I had an actual crew.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2023, 07:03:11 PM »
It will be a fun way to document a period of time on earth with your friends. Do it.

Time is fleeting but the memories and documentation of great times will last forever.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2023, 10:31:11 PM »
I have made no less than five „parts“ since my comeback in March 2020 and it was a good way to keep me motivated, helped me to analyse my style and monitor and document my progress. I also liked battling tricks and lines and the feeling of achievement when I got a new clip.

I did it for myself altho I shared it with some friends and posted up on Slap but none of the clips got much more than 100 views. It was a lot of fun to select and edit the clips, choose the music etc., things that I have never done before. It also made me appreciate skateparts in general more as I know now how much work goes in there.

On the other hand, I haven‘t filmed a clip in six months now. My wife who is my filmer could not come with me all the time anymore due to health issues but anyway, I feel I have moved on. For the moment, I do not do „never done before“ stuff, more like refining my style and tricks so that‘s not something worth filming, although I learned some new tricks I‘d like to get on a clip one day. Atm, I am quite happy just skating on my own doing my stuff without anyone ever seeing it bar the odd passer by.

So all in all, if you feel like doing it, by all means do it, as it‘s fun and will help you in many ways but don‘t expect that the world has been waiting for it. Do it for the right reasons and you will be stoked on the result.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2023, 02:57:13 AM »
I have made no less than five „parts“ since my comeback in March 2020 and it was a good way to keep me motivated, helped me to analyse my style and monitor and document my progress. I also liked battling tricks and lines and the feeling of achievement when I got a new clip.

I did it for myself altho I shared it with some friends and posted up on Slap but none of the clips got much more than 100 views. It was a lot of fun to select and edit the clips, choose the music etc., things that I have never done before. It also made me appreciate skateparts in general more as I know now how much work goes in there.

On the other hand, I haven‘t filmed a clip in six months now. My wife who is my filmer could not come with me all the time anymore due to health issues but anyway, I feel I have moved on. For the moment, I do not do „never done before“ stuff, more like refining my style and tricks so that‘s not something worth filming, although I learned some new tricks I‘d like to get on a clip one day. Atm, I am quite happy just skating on my own doing my stuff without anyone ever seeing it bar the odd passer by.

So all in all, if you feel like doing it, by all means do it, as it‘s fun and will help you in many ways but don‘t expect that the world has been waiting for it. Do it for the right reasons and you will be stoked on the result.

Very well said. The one thing I'd like to add is that there's definitely no requisite skill level or anything like that to make a video. I'm not trying to get into the whole "what is skateboarding?" debate, but one aspect of it is most definitely artistic. You think of something that you wanna do with your body and/or your instrument of choice in a given surrounding and then do it to the best of your ability. That's no different than painting a picture or singing a song, and nobody in their right mind would tell you to stop painting or singing if it gives you joy just because you don't reach a certain arbitrary level of proficiency. And art is always worthy of documentation, even though not every painting gets to be in the Louvre and not every homie vid gets many views.

MorningSesh

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2023, 03:55:47 PM »
I really appreciate the insight yall, all good points

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 164
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2023, 06:34:22 PM »
It has to be done

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2023, 09:21:30 PM »
I feel that is the essence of skateboarding just you and your buddies skating around (and filming it if possible)

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2023, 11:13:46 PM »
Thoughts on filming a part and/or homie video with your friends with no intention of sponsors or anything like that? I'm probably overthinking it but I've always liked the idea of stacking clips with your friends and putting together a video(s) for fun. I sort of can't help but feel like it may be a bit lame or I'm not a good enough skater to do that which really shouldn't matter if it's a personal project with the homies imo.

Making a crew video is super fun. Even Chris Cole did it with Hot Wax.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

switchfakie

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2023, 02:42:47 AM »
My thoughts are you should do it if you have the crew. It’d be nice to see a product of all the time you spent learning tricks

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2023, 06:59:28 AM »
It is also an excuse to get out of your comfort zone, go someplace new, try something you might only do once. Nothing compares to premiere night.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2023, 07:13:08 AM »
If you have a crew that you're always skating with that produce, it makes sense to make a vid. Skill level is whatever, once one guy goes and starts filming stuff someone else gets hyped and they go off and do the same..sparking each other up and seeing what comes of it all in the end is so sick.

Every homie vid I've done or been a part of has a special place in time. Solid memories, my progress, even if its just style, is noticed. Its rad to witness and look back on time to time.

Go make that vid and let us know a premiere date!

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

doublesteveburger

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2023, 07:46:13 AM »
i second every sentiment expressed here but want to add to please apply the 'not in this body' rule to your process as it doesn't really fucking matter if you're just having fun and pushing yourself

i've only ever really filmed two parts in my life not counting the numerous instagram edits from story posts but it's seriously fun to get out there and just work on something and keep yourself occupied/goal driven

also makes it fun to look forward to a premiere party with your friends, etc

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -204
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2023, 08:04:42 AM »
When you are an old man who gets tired from doing slappies for 20 minutes you will wish you had footage of you back in the day

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2023, 07:03:47 AM »
I can only speak for myself here. But there are a few tricks I want to do at specific spots before I am too old to skate on that level. Not that my level is good or anything, but we are all getting older every day.

And if you have a motivated crew around you, just film and have fun.
IG: @flowterspace

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2023, 02:40:19 PM »
I can only speak for myself here. But there are a few tricks I want to do at specific spots before I am too old to skate on that level. Not that my level is good or anything, but we are all getting older every day.

Yo when is the next Kiez Erkundung coming out :-)
why come?

MorningSesh

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2023, 04:33:58 PM »

My biggest hurdle is dealing with injuries but I have the same goals and it definitely motivates me to actively take care of myself and get back to it when I can.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 750
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2023, 11:10:12 AM »
Do it for fun. I think a lot of people are too caught up in trying to get fame and sponsors that sometimes it's forgotten that you can just do stuff just for the hell of it.

https://youtu.be/JsR21dtv6uk

https://youtu.be/PRCMnCp04EE

https://youtu.be/Wvr-ZGg6uX8

https://youtu.be/zzj6pinjAEU

https://youtu.be/pnsmU3X-6P8

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2023, 05:23:24 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

There has been a few different opinions and I cut ties with the filming guy and got my own camera. No bad blood or anything, I just have a different vision.

I am suffering from long covid now and currently don't know if or when that will get better. I am still able to fulfill my adult responsibilities and can go to work a few hours a week but something doesn't feel right with my body.
It needs a lot of planning and a bit of luck for me to get a clip on the weekends but there is no deadline or anything so I am just taking it slow and try to recover.

But thanks for asking mate.
IG: @flowterspace

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2023, 05:33:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

There has been a few different opinions and I cut ties with the filming guy and got my own camera. No bad blood or anything, I just have a different vision.

I am suffering from long covid now and currently don't know if or when that will get better. I am still able to fulfill my adult responsibilities and can go to work a few hours a week but something doesn't feel right with my body.
It needs a lot of planning and a bit of luck for me to get a clip on the weekends but there is no deadline or anything so I am just taking it slow and try to recover.

But thanks for asking mate.

Sucks to hear that. Heal up bro. I‘ll be keeping an eye out for new Kiez clips, for some reason I just love to see Berlin spots.
why come?

sle_epy

• Rep: -82
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2023, 06:17:31 AM »
I prefer well put together homie vids from wherever over pro stuff these days. It's more accessible plus you see a lot of spots you wouldn't otherwise.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy