Author Topic: What is skatelite/gatorskin/masonite anyway? Are there alternatives?  (Read 2095 times)

Bold

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 32
I'm building a couple of skate obstacles and I need to figure out what I'm going to surface them with.
I'd like to make them weather proof in case I decide to gift them to the local skate parks.
I can't get skatelite or gator skin locally. Shipping is crazy expensive. I'm looking for a locally available material to surface small obstacles that will hopefully be a bit more affordable than ordering actual skatelite/gatorskin by the full 4'x8' sheet.

What the hell is skatelite/gatorskin/masonite anyway? Do we have anyone here that's in the lumber/plywood trade? What is this stuff made of and is there something out there in the cabinet making or sign making industries that is similar that I might could find locally?
Someone suggested MEDEX. Does anyone know what that is or how it would work to skin a small quarter ramp or ledge/box?

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
Re: What is skatelite/gatorskin/masonite anyway? Are there alternatives?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2023, 04:57:46 PM »
Masonite is a pressed fiber/paper board. It’s absolute shit once moisture is in play. Fine indoors.

Gatorskins and Skatelite are more like plastic but not as soft as TREX. Your under structure is still vulnerable to rain. I also wonder if there’s a readily available commercial substitute.

I have a friend who doesn’t skate who built his kids a mini surfaced with “concrete board”. Said it held up decently for 3 years of Minnesota winters but I have no idea how it skates.

I’ve done a surfacing job with sheet metal and that holds up ok (especially if you keep bikes off it) but it’s crucial to nail the depth of the countersinks. Too shallow the screw heads stick up, too deep the screws eventually pop though and you get knife edge metal sticking up.

Bold

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2023, 05:25:43 PM »
Boy, it seems like with metal skins you would really want to make a formed rather than drilled countersink but then I don't know how you would get that to work with the plywood behind it.

If the countersink was formed into the metal somewhat the screw head tolerance could be a lot more relaxed. But then the countersink would protrude out the back of the metal.

I suppose you could screw the metal in place this marking the holes then go back and countersink the plywood for the sheet metal dimpled counter sinks...

But, that's getting off topic Even though it's pretty interesting to think about

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 222
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2023, 06:37:37 AM »
go with masonite and keep it out of the rain it will last for years

Maybe if you live in Arizona. Don’t ever use Masonite outdoors If you live anywhere with humidity. It will suck the moisture out of the air and swell. It will also rot the crap out of your ply underneath . If it’s for small obstacles that you store out of the weather it would probably work.

I’ve seen small ledges/ boxes made of treated wood with Formica or plastic floor tiles glued on the surface that worked pretty good.

Skatelite and all the synthetics are expensive. Too much for small stuff.

An alternative is marine grade plywood sealed with a heavy waterproofing material.

Ricky Vaughn

• Rep: 265
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2023, 07:04:02 AM »
Goatskin leather jackets at the mall
Tell the world to eat my dick
I’m a prick motherfucker
Life Hell Tough shit
I’m the bic motherfucker

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2023, 07:42:59 AM »
An alternative is marine grade plywood sealed with a heavy waterproofing material.

For smaller stuff this is probably the most cost effective way. You don’t even need marine grade, you can extend the life of an obstacle with just paint. Make sure you get the edges too!

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2023, 08:17:47 AM »
Skatelite is made of epicurean/richlite, which is a pressed resin coated paper composite
https://www.aboutepicurean.com/material
https://www.richlite.com/whatisrichlite
You would probably need to be some sort of business to buy full sheets from them directly.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2023, 09:40:04 AM »
i think skate lite was originally used as massive circuit board.....

Bold

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2023, 09:44:10 AM »
Skatelite is made of epicurean/richlite, which is a pressed resin coated paper composite
https://www.aboutepicurean.com/material
https://www.richlite.com/whatisrichlite
You would probably need to be some sort of business to buy full sheets from them directly.
This is awesome! Thank you.

Bold

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2023, 09:45:21 AM »
Expand Quote
go with masonite and keep it out of the rain it will last for years
[close]

Maybe if you live in Arizona. Don’t ever use Masonite outdoors If you live anywhere with humidity. It will suck the moisture out of the air and swell. It will also rot the crap out of your ply underneath . If it’s for small obstacles that you store out of the weather it would probably work.

I’ve seen small ledges/ boxes made of treated wood with Formica or plastic floor tiles glued on the surface that worked pretty good.

Skatelite and all the synthetics are expensive. Too much for small stuff.

I can probably get that type of ply locally. Definitely going to look around for it.
What kind of waterproofing material have you had good luck with?

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2023, 09:57:26 AM »
I’ve used masonite on my ramps painted with oil based spar urethane and had it last 3 years, half of that was uncovered(I’m in Nor Cal) with some heavy rains. If you paint the top/sides/screw holes/bottom with 3 good coats it’ll last for a long time. Only drawback is it’s not the best on UV resistance so if it’s just drop and forget about it, ymmv.
Prices on marine grade ply are pretty steep.

ToasterBiscuitz

• Rep: 3
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2023, 10:01:05 AM »
Concrete is cheaper and always better

Bold

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2023, 11:57:22 AM »
Concrete is cheaper and always better
But it's so heavy to cart around from spot to spot.

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 222
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2023, 12:54:56 PM »
I’ve used masonite on my ramps painted with oil based spar urethane and had it last 3 years, half of that was uncovered(I’m in Nor Cal) with some heavy rains. If you paint the top/sides/screw holes/bottom with 3 good coats it’ll last for a long time. Only drawback is it’s not the best on UV resistance so if it’s just drop and forget about it, ymmv.
Prices on marine grade ply are pretty steep.

Spar is definitely the best.  It can flake after a while. It also goes from dry to wet in like 20 secs with condensation. It skates great though. Not too slick or sticky.