Author Topic: why these new trendy skateboard companies...  (Read 3818 times)

camel filters

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: why these new trendy skateboard companies...
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2023, 07:16:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Here's a trendy company that lists its team:
https://eur.cariuma.com/pages/skate
[close]

Also Real, Primitive, April,  Polar, Adidas, Nike SB and DC shoes have.

Baker don't have, but they have an ad section and I can know who their team is by it.
They haven't updated their ad section for at least 3 years so thats irrelevant anyways.

These companies probably can track their site traffic and can't be bothered to put time and energy into something that doesn't drive the company. I do wish they would list the team on their social bios if thats the way it continues to go.

Not A Damn Chance

• Rep: 93
  • Banned from Slam
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2023, 07:53:14 AM »
Rusty from Maine

hotstudios_on_youtube

• Rep: -65
  • ???
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2023, 08:00:20 AM »
webmaster upkeep ? the baker team section of their site was legendary way back when

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 967
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2023, 08:07:05 AM »
I don't think I understand what trendy means in skating in regards to products.
I haven't really seen any of the above listed brands in the wild except FA.  And that's never ever ever in the streets. FA kids I've found never leave the skate park. Also they pay way too much for ugly clothes too.

I see mainly people riding Antihero Krooked and DGK.

I've never seen a Violet bloard irl once. I been looking too.

I been riding Glue. A pal sent me one and I'm hooked AF on pssticks. Also shop bloards. I would never be not stoked on an Orchard bloard.

Could be I only notice things I like. Like Ventures. I always notice those immediately

I almost never notice what shoes people got. I couldn't care less.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

skunty

• Rep: 73
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2023, 08:16:24 AM »
skateboarding is cool because it takes effort to find the real shit and its not spoon fed to you. make it too user frinedly and it will attract the kooks

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1191
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2023, 08:19:29 AM »
This forum is full of pretentious nerds that can't even have a normal discussion and instead they try to be funny without really being it, it's really just sad.

Takes one to know one.   8)
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2023, 08:24:08 AM »
Yeah i think it's lame too. It's usually easy enough to figure out who the pros are for the companies but I want to know who the AM guys are as well. They deserve some recognition and it sucks that a lot of companies are keeping this from them by not making it known that they're on the team.

It's like some weird gatekeeping thing. It's not just new trendy companies either, companies like anti hero, krooked, baker and girl are doing it too. In fact if anything it seems that the legacy companies are more guilty of this than newer companies.

Kinda weird to think that the younger guys will grow up with this being the norm.

skateboarding is cool because it takes effort to find the real shit and its not spoon fed to you. make it too user frinedly and it will attract the kooks

Skateboarding is going to attract kooks regardless of how mysterious people try to make it. It's still just a useless wooden toy that you can purchase from dick's sporting goods.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2023, 08:27:30 AM »
would be sick to see the trendy olympics follow suit and not show any skaters name during their run

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2023, 08:29:47 AM »
It's funny to see someone act like this is a time honored tradition when HTML is only as old as "Video Days" and most companies wouldn't even have a regularly maintained website until the late 90s/early 00s.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2023, 08:35:08 AM »
It's funny to see someone act like this is a time honored tradition when HTML is only as old as "Video Days" and most companies wouldn't even have a regularly maintained website until the late 90s/early 00s.

Well Video days had the names of all the riders come up before the parts so they were doing the best they could before the internet.

On the other hand companies should really find a better way to show who their team is than having a list of mugshots so they avoid looking like a cast from the hills have eyes:
https://creatureskateboards.com/team

WPG

• Rep: -2
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2023, 08:35:43 AM »
Girls ads have been pissing me off lately. It's not 2003 all your riders aren't household names anymore, but they'll take out a 2 page ad with a pic of Manchild drinking a beer on 1 page and Simon Bannerot doing a trick on the next. Either include some names or keep the ads to 1 person to not cause extra confusion
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2023, 08:38:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Well Video days had the names of all the riders come up before the parts so they were doing the best they could before the internet.

On the other hand companies should really find a better way to show who their team is than having a list of mugshots so they avoid looking like a cast from the hills have eyes:

How is Creature possibly selling enough product to justify such a gigantic team?
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2023, 08:42:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

How is Creature possibly selling enough product to justify such a gigantic team?

I think they are huge in non-western countries like Brazil and maybe Japan

Powdered Toast Man!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 167
  • (aka mex.ceferino)
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2023, 08:43:04 AM »
OP- genuinely curious. what made you realize this and prompted you to make a thread? I swear I was just thinking about this same observation last night around 8pm. wondering how maybe the "algorithm" or whatever we browse dawned us with this question at this particular time.

oh but I did deduct the answer to this question by myself: websites being obsolete, ig, tiktoks, what everyone said here

I just want everyone to know that I'm only 32.8% skateboarder, and that's on a good day. The rest is just soy and cum.

hotstudios_on_youtube

• ???
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2023, 08:43:24 AM »
trendy can mean that its more visible that skaters and non skaters wear the merch more than skate the boards, frog is on that level now, at least on my city

trendy can also just mean gen z

hotstudios_on_youtube

• ???
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2023, 08:47:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

don't creature make completes? being part of NHS helps

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2023, 08:48:51 AM »
i miss coming on here to finding out who is of what brand because some weirdo actually checked the company's website

Trilogy

• Rep: -267
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2023, 10:16:04 AM »
would be sick to see the trendy olympics follow suit and not show any skaters name during their run

Ok, this made me laugh.

Trilogy

« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2023, 10:22:00 AM »
OP- genuinely curious. what made you realize this and prompted you to make a thread? I swear I was just thinking about this same observation last night around 8pm. wondering how maybe the "algorithm" or whatever we browse dawned us with this question at this particular time.

oh but I did deduct the answer to this question by myself: websites being obsolete, ig, tiktoks, what everyone said here

Just because I saw thread about Violet skateboards and a dudd mentioned some skater first name ( that is very common here, like they try to act they are so cool that they call a skater first name because they are homies... ) and I wanted to see who that skater was and I had to be an "insta-detective" and that is lame because I have other things to waste my time.

Trilogy

« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2023, 10:23:51 AM »
And yes, it's also really lame when skate videos don't have the skater's name on their part.

I am a 90's/2000's skater, I like the skate video formula of that era.

skunty

• Rep: 73
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2023, 10:56:15 AM »
Yeah i think it's lame too. It's usually easy enough to figure out who the pros are for the companies but I want to know who the AM guys are as well. They deserve some recognition and it sucks that a lot of companies are keeping this from them by not making it known that they're on the team.

It's like some weird gatekeeping thing. It's not just new trendy companies either, companies like anti hero, krooked, baker and girl are doing it too. In fact if anything it seems that the legacy companies are more guilty of this than newer companies.

Kinda weird to think that the younger guys will grow up with this being the norm.

Expand Quote
[close]

Skateboarding is going to attract kooks regardless of how mysterious people try to make it. It's still just a useless wooden toy that you can purchase from dick's sporting goods.

I think you saying its a gatekeeping thing is kinda what I was trying to portray. I don't mind it though. I think it's like a de-emphasis on glorifying the individual. At the same time I think it creates some intrigue.

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2023, 11:43:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

don't creature make completes? being part of NHS helps

I'm 99% sure that's only like 5 or 6 people dressing up differently. They've got an old guy, a greasy guy with long hair and a beard, a blonde guy, a clean shaven guy, a token Asian dude and a two-for-one, an Asian girl.

Point being: Creature has a team page and I still don't know who any of these people (aside from Milton) are, even though I just looked at it a minute ago. I don't care about the brand so I don't make an effort to get to know their riders. If I liked the brand I'd find a way to learn about their riders with or without a team page.

No Wave Comply

• Rep: 134
  • Phantom of the Skatepark
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2023, 11:23:51 PM »
yea like why can't Topps Upper Deck just issue some skateboard company trading cards so we can keep track of who's who?  they could put their name and stats on there, their sponsors, if they've been cancelled and when.  im still looking to trade someone for a 2022 soty hologram card
a grunt  a mudhog  a slimedog
a simple servant  a hired hand

“Come in here dear boy, have a gnar, you’re gonna go far!”

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 682
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2023, 05:21:21 AM »
It also feels like the skaters are just becoming more and more replaceable in the eyes of a corporation. its weird because its coming from seemingly more core companies like hockey and gx1000.

warmonke

• Rep: 43
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2023, 06:33:52 AM »
It also feels like the skaters are just becoming more and more replaceable in the eyes of a corporation. its weird because its coming from seemingly more core companies like hockey and gx1000.
Yeah Hockey is core... core-ny!!!

yghartsyrt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 220
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2023, 06:48:02 AM »

What do you mean? I’d say skaters from hockey or gx1000 seem to be less replaceable than for example primitive riders, which all seem to have a similar style

switchfakie

« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2023, 07:38:58 PM »
i assumed it was so nobodys feelings got hurt

you can only put so many people on the team, so if 10 are in the crew & are always skating together, you can secretly put 6 on and dont tell the other 4 & dont advertise it so that those 4 homies dont get their feelings hurt

tadej Pog

• Rep: -527
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2023, 04:28:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What do you mean? I’d say skaters from hockey or gx1000 seem to be less replaceable than for example primitive riders, which all seem to have a similar style

200 clips in everyone on the team dropping hills, all of them in converses, are pretty different styles.
Miss you Rusty Berings

switchfakie

« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2023, 05:47:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

200 clips in everyone on the team dropping hills, all of them in converses, are pretty different styles.

i agree that gx is pretty monotonous & their crew is so large i dont even know who's on the team

on the other hand, i think hockey is definitely a unique brand. I think the skaters on hockey all have something unique & special about them which is why i back them fully. i cant say the same about FA, but hockey is sick

No Wave Comply

• Rep: 134
  • Phantom of the Skatepark
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2023, 06:59:37 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Just because I saw thread about Violet skateboards and a dudd mentioned some skater first name ( that is very common here, like they try to act they are so cool that they call a skater first name because they are homies... ) and I wanted to see who that skater was and I had to be an "insta-detective" and that is lame because I have other things to waste my time.

I think you're reading way too much into this.

I've never seen anybody on SLAP refer to Troy Gipson, Efron Danzig, Kris Brown, Seven Strong, or Patrick O'Mara as "Troy" or "Gipson", "Danzig", "Kris" or "Brown", "Strong", "Patrick" or "O'Mara" (unless it's a near essay/article and it's for the sake of journalistic form and not having to write their full name multiple times). The only reason people use "Troy", "Efron" or "Seven" is because they're unique and obviously aren't referring to any other skaters; it's an easy and stylistic shorthand. No one's writing "TGip" because they think they're Troy Gipson's friend.

For instance, do you ever hear Grant Taylor or Alex Olson called "Grant" or "Taylor", or "Alex" or "Olson"? Likewise, I've never seen or heard Ishod Wair, Kader Sylla, Louie Lopez referred as "Wair", "Sylla" or "Lopez" and Andrew Reynolds, John Cardiel or Jim Greco as "Andrew", "John" or "Jim". It all depends on distinctness of the skater's first, last or full name. They're all basically nicknames.
a grunt  a mudhog  a slimedog
a simple servant  a hired hand

“Come in here dear boy, have a gnar, you’re gonna go far!”