Author Topic: Quirks to your board set up  (Read 2877 times)

sle_epy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -82
Quirks to your board set up
« on: April 26, 2023, 05:02:22 AM »
Mine:

I used to run two 1/8 inch Real riser pads, but after struggling with leaning slightly too forward for the last few years when doing tricks I decided to remove the back truck's riser but run the front riser still.

I never thought it would have addressed the issue but oddly it has. Where always paying attention to my front shoulder used to be a thing it isn't anymore, and my tricks are markedly more consistent.

Obv form has gotten better over time but this was like an overnight situation. I'm pretty happy about it. What're some weird things that you've found work for you?

eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

streetmeat

• Rep: 172
Re: Quirks to your board set up
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2023, 05:23:09 AM »
i need my board to sound like you threw a handful of change in a dryer. anything to make it rattle and sound loud. i keep my axel nuts flush with the end of the axel so they rattle back and forth. i skate only 100+ durometer wheels on crust. i wont fix my rails if they are pulling out. etc etc

sle_epy

• Rep: -82
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2023, 05:28:46 AM »
i need my board to sound like you threw a handful of change in a dryer. anything to make it rattle and sound loud. i keep my axel nuts flush with the end of the axel so they rattle back and forth. i skate only 100+ durometer wheels on crust. i wont fix my rails if they are pulling out. etc etc

I couldn't be more opposite. I'd skate a new board everyday if I could.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

streetmeat

• Rep: 172
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2023, 05:39:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

truly disgusting. i'm on some shit where i am on borrowed time with my trucks but i'm determined to skate them till they snap and or bend. my front pivot cup is basically nonexistent and just metal on metal at this point

kook1234

• Rep: 132
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2023, 06:19:16 AM »
I have no quirks on my setup by design.  growing up my setup was a hodgepodge of quirks so nowadays I relish in the fact my board is "normal".

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2023, 10:41:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

truly disgusting. i'm on some shit where i am on borrowed time with my trucks but i'm determined to skate them till they snap and or bend. my front pivot cup is basically nonexistent and just metal on metal at this point

I ride everything tight to a fault….what you guys skate are like muscle cars….I have a Nissan leaf…

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -291
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2023, 07:12:30 AM »
Three bolt gang. Purely for the aesthetic.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2023, 10:40:48 AM »
I like a slightly harder bushing closest to the kingpin nut. I like to believe it decreases wheel bite, but it probably doesn’t.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2023, 07:27:32 PM »
i cross grip out of laziness.....

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2023, 08:28:11 PM »
I lost a bolt years ago setting a board up and I’ve just kept the 7 going since then

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2023, 05:29:33 AM »
I like a slightly harder bushing closest to the kingpin nut. I like to believe it decreases wheel bite, but it probably doesn’t.
it helps the hanger getting back to horizontal
it might make the release quicker during a wheel bite

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 763
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2023, 05:56:19 AM »
I lost a bolt years ago setting a board up and I’ve just kept the 7 going since then

Front truck, tail facing, heelside

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2023, 07:59:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
it helps the hanger getting back to horizontal
it might make the release quicker during a wheel bite

That makes sense, and I do like a fast rebound to centre, so this is good news. I suppose I could always try risers if I’m that bummed on wheel bite.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2023, 08:40:43 AM »
Been rocking a washer from some bones bushings above the stock washer from my trucks as I’m convinced my truck looseness fluctuates with the temperature/weather and having that extra washer keeps the change from being super drastic.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2023, 11:06:29 AM »
Been rocking a washer from some bones bushings above the stock washer from my trucks as I’m convinced my truck looseness fluctuates with the temperature/weather and having that extra washer keeps the change from being super drastic.

Interesting do you usually run standard bushings or aftermarket?

For my boards I use hardware with two different colored bolts but I put them opposite to each other so one for the front truck and the other mirrored on the back truck.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2023, 11:41:30 AM »
Finger tight front truck, no washer. Skate bushings until they’re disintegrated, swapping from a set of trucks to another if necessary.

Grip with a lengthwise line showing toe-side bolts.

Always write the birthday of my best friend (rip frankie) near back toe side pocket as a reminder.

If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -62
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2023, 01:04:15 PM »
All four wheels graphic in, white wheels only. 101+ only

Full grip, black only. Obsessive about keeping my grip as clean as possible

On a scale of 1-10, if 1 is super loose trucks and 10 is super tight trucks, I run 4 on front truck and 5 on the back truck.
I despise buying new trucks.

One off-color bolt always in bottom left corner of front.
Shorty's hardware only. I swear every other company the heads are too big and it's hard to get them flush without feeling like you're going to get stress cracks.

The second a deck has a hint of razor tail or starts feeling soft it's time for a new deck.

Fucking up and getting vertical scratches (up/down instead of across) on my deck pisses me off to an unreasonable degree.

Always run spacers and speed rings, keep spares in the kit. I don't remove bearing shields.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2023, 07:29:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Interesting do you usually run standard bushings or aftermarket?

For my boards I use hardware with two different colored bolts but I put them opposite to each other so one for the front truck and the other mirrored on the back truck.

Bones. I run the stock shit that comes with the trucks as well.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2023, 08:46:52 PM »
Spit classic f4 graphics in and all lettering on the white side scraped off except for ass on my heal side rear wheel.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2023, 09:13:46 PM »
My board will not turn properly. I can't figure out what is wrong with it. I set my board up just like the guys on SLS.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2023, 12:48:43 AM »
My board will not turn properly. I can't figure out what is wrong with it. I set my board up just like the guys on SLS.

Hahaha. One of those times I really wish I could gnar someone.

I guess the closest thing to a quirk I have is that I don't skate any wheels harder than 97A anymore. Other than that my setups are pretty vanilla.

Edit: Come to think about it, I guess using 20 year old cast plates with new hollow hangers can be considered quirky.

Shalom Peterson

• Rep: 21
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2023, 06:31:29 PM »
I've had the same pair of bearing spacers on my board since about 2006. Idc if they work or not, I'm just happy they're along for the ride still.

switchfakie

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2023, 06:20:55 PM »
diagonal gold bolts, grip job & not fully tightened axle nuts

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • ow
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2023, 07:50:54 PM »
Always taking spacers out and bearing shields off no matter what type of bearings

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2023, 09:27:55 PM »
I remove my bottom bushing washer on every set of trucks I own. Gives me a bigger turning radius while also letting run my trucks a bit tighter so I'm loose(ish) but stable. Also I NEVER run plain black grip with zero cutouts, grip art, etc; bad luck for me. I always need to have at least a small line cut out somewhere.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2023, 01:21:54 AM »
Grip over the bolts (but I’ll always do some sort of design with lines), I also need 3 wheel graphics facing in and 1 out (which is always toe side on my back foot)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 12:53:23 AM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2023, 01:52:19 AM »
I've had the same pair of bearing spacers on my board since about 2006. Idc if they work or not, I'm just happy they're along for the ride still.

Not sure if you mean the ones that go inside the wheel. But I used to use those after a Ride Channel article or interview someone had. I ran the outside washers and the spacers in the middle religiously. Then I set up new wheels and realized they just floated inside the wheel and did nothing.

I still run the washers and keep my wheel tight without slowing down the wheel… at least as much.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

xandeo

• Rep: 6
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2023, 03:37:22 AM »
This is a funny thread, just pointing out our shared madness (or, or some cases, OCD).

Usual ones:

- Wheel graphics always in, only white wheels
- Never use bearing spacers
- Hexagon screws need to be used only, all 8
- never a fully black griptape

Unusual ones:
- soft independent risers, always
- board has to be silent, no rattling
- I ride Jart boards, great board shapes but I don't like the brand image itself, so I always cover the Jart logo with a sticker (meaning I can only ride boards with small logos)

I, too, used to ride Frankenstein set-ups as a kid. Mixing up trucks (low in the front, high in the back, or having a tensor baseplate to an Orion hanger...). Worked fine, never felt strange.

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2023, 01:28:26 PM »
-every 10 sessions i swap my wheels around from back to front and left to right, as well as flipping the graphics. it's not even
  really about maintaining even wear anymore, i just like doing it.
-when i'm taking off/putting on axle nuts, i spin it back and forth 7 times before moving further - no idea why i started, but it
  has to be good for the trucks if i started doing it in the first place.
-i 'break in' new decks by throwing them on the ground a few times. i KNOW that it's bad for them, but i don't care because
  not only does it make me feel young and free again, it's super fun.

there's a whole lot of inane grip rules too:
-i can NEVER skate a board that's plain blacktop, it just fucks with me . i like knowing where my nose is.
-the nose has to be 98% grip, and i'm not insane to measure that exactly but there can be no weird gaps
-bolts have a similar story, as little gap as possible there
-holes for the bolts have to be cut out in the grip, rather than pushing the bolts in and out until they're good enough
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

switchfakie

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2023, 07:21:27 AM »
Grip over the bolts (but I’ll always do so sort of design with lines), I also need 3 wheel graphics facing in and 1 out (which is always toe side on my back foot)

serious question, how do you tighten your bolts when they get loose & remove them when you switch boards?

ive seen other people do this but it doesnt make any sense to me at all