Author Topic: Quirks to your board set up  (Read 2909 times)

JANUS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 573
Re: Quirks to your board set up
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2023, 10:57:24 AM »
Always taking spacers out and bearing shields off no matter what type of bearings

If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

overwaxed

• Rep: 88
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2023, 09:04:19 AM »
I only skate odd numbered wheels, specifically 55mm and 53mm -  I grew up in a small ass town in Virginia with super crusty 'street spots' so 55's were pretty necessary. I split the difference once in 2001 with some 54mm and compound fractured my arm. Skating fizzled slowly from 2005-2007 but I got back into it full force last year and tried some 54mm wheels once again and immediately ate shit and sprained my elbow bad. So henceforth only odd numbered wheels lol. Now I live in Chicago, also crusty but 53mm full conical F4's do the trick!

Full black grip forever, thunder bolts with 2 blue guys diagonal on the nose, spacers/shields gone, 8.38 on 8.5 trucks (skated 7.88 on 8 trucks during my peak and this is the evolved version). Pretty standard quirks but quirks none the less.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2023, 12:45:15 PM »
I've never understood being anti-spacers and speed rings. There are absolutely zero negatives to running them even if you believe they're some kind of conspiracy by the wheel and bearing companies to get you to spend an extra 50 cents or something.

I get that people like the "sound" of shieldless bearings I guess. I tried popping shields off once and any added sound was negligible at best, and in general I've never been skating and found myself thinking "man, I just wish my board was louder somehow".
If the idea that shieldless are better because "it lets the dirt fall out" is true, then someone needs to go tell every engineer at every bearing company on the planet for as long as bearings have existed, cause somebody lied to them.
The wheel bearings on your car typically have shields too but you don't hear any mechanic saying you should pop those worthless shields off...but then maybe your car would make a super cool ZZZZZING sound?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1577
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2023, 05:51:39 PM »
I assume shields off just make things noisier which is what skaters are shooting for.  I don't really know if spaces make a difference as most cores are not consistent and you're still backing everything off 1/16th of a turn anyhow...

With all due respect, and I've likely used the analogy before but.....a skateboard is not like a car at all...

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2023, 06:43:26 PM »
I've never understood being anti-spacers...

While I do run spacers, spacers can be a detriment if a wheel's core isn't aligned. A couple times I helped set up my friends' spacers with Spitfires, the wheel wouldn't roll if spacers were used. Without spacers, the wheels rolled great.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2023, 12:57:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Grip over the bolts (but I’ll always do so sort of design with lines), I also need 3 wheel graphics facing in and 1 out (which is always toe side on my back foot)
[close]

serious question, how do you tighten your bolts when they get loose & remove them when you switch boards?

ive seen other people do this but it doesnt make any sense to me at all
I’m not a complete freak, I punch little hex holes in the bolts from the top so I can access them if they get loose; I just don’t get why people would want less grip in those areas!

Also, when you change decks you just flip the board over and give them a quick whack with your skate tool and they pop right through the grip tape! You should try it, it’s very satisfying
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 06:20:41 PM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

overwaxed

• Rep: 88
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2023, 01:37:04 PM »
I've never understood being anti-spacers and speed rings. There are absolutely zero negatives to running them even if you believe they're some kind of conspiracy by the wheel and bearing companies to get you to spend an extra 50 cents or something.

I get that people like the "sound" of shieldless bearings I guess. I tried popping shields off once and any added sound was negligible at best, and in general I've never been skating and found myself thinking "man, I just wish my board was louder somehow".
If the idea that shieldless are better because "it lets the dirt fall out" is true, then someone needs to go tell every engineer at every bearing company on the planet for as long as bearings have existed, cause somebody lied to them.
The wheel bearings on your car typically have shields too but you don't hear any mechanic saying you should pop those worthless shields off...but then maybe your car would make a super cool ZZZZZING sound?

For me spacers just don't seem necessary, one less thing to drop and have roll under a piece of furniture changing wheels. And bearings look cooler without shields - who doesn't like looking at their balls?

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 573
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2023, 02:31:46 PM »
I thought it was concluded that the popularity of popping shields was a ploy by big bearing to boost their profits.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2023, 01:30:12 PM »

I rarely run spacers as they seem pointless in most scenarios. I have a few sets but wheel spacing is always too wide or too skinny. Is it too difficult for the industry to get together and decide on a number?

As for shields, I think most skaters (pros included) need to be reminded that skateboards do not have engines and therefore should not make engine sounds.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2023, 07:10:50 PM »
spacers and after i cut my griptape, i always file it off to get it smooth and perfect around the edges.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2023, 03:43:24 AM »
I ride skinny hard wheels and then complain about the rough ground for the whole session

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2023, 07:46:06 PM »
Idk, I’m really weird about bushings, not necessarily the hardness, but the color. for example, if I’m riding Indy stage 11’s, those orange bushings are great, they look aesthetically pleasing with any color combination of any wheel or deck graphic. however, if a venture truck comes with a certain color bushing, I can’t have a graphic that is completely different from that bushing. same goes with thunder. I could not ride red thunder bushings with just any graphic, but I could more than likely ride the blue ones that come in the stock team standard trucks, with any colored graphic.

I also refuse to ride any kind of bushing that is opaque in color. I despise the look. the only color bushing that I’ll ride that’s opaque, is white. like, the ace bushings, those are fine. but when I got those Indy stage 4’s and saw they had flat, opaque, red bushings, I took them out immediately. I know Indy stock bushings aren’t necessarily translucent, like thunder or venture, but they work for some reason.

I know I’m a weirdo lmao.

oh and also, I spent like $80 in hardware, so I could have a 7/8” allen head bolt in every color. so every board I get, I have a front left allen head bolt that matches the color(s) of the board graphic.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 605
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2023, 02:55:41 PM »
I kinda avoid the color red. If it is a small text on the deck or shoe that is passable. Red bearing shields or red shoe soles are okay too. But never a red top, red bolts or red bushings, that's too much. If I balance the red with some green nuts, or a green drawing on my grip then it will be fine. I once painted green over a Sour deck with a red top. But since that deck was born with a red top I got hurt.
And then I have this one particular homie who gets red shoes and red decks and I get a bit nervous sometimes. ^^
IG: @flowterspace

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 94
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2023, 06:37:40 PM »
I kinda avoid the color red. If it is a small text on the deck or shoe that is passable. Red bearing shields or red shoe soles are okay too. But never a red top, red bolts or red bushings, that's too much. If I balance the red with some green nuts, or a green drawing on my grip then it will be fine. I once painted green over a Sour deck with a red top. But since that deck was born with a red top I got hurt.
And then I have this one particular homie who gets red shoes and red decks and I get a bit nervous sometimes. ^^

You might end up with a Christmas color themed setup doing that

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 115
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2023, 11:01:14 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I rarely run spacers as they seem pointless in most scenarios. I have a few sets but wheel spacing is always too wide or too skinny. Is it too difficult for the industry to get together and decide on a number?

As for shields, I think most skaters (pros included) need to be reminded that skateboards do not have engines and therefore should not make engine sounds.

This is 100% correct and I hope the recent Ben DeGros video gets people to finally realize that all spacers do is push your bearings out of your wheels to break them faster and make your board sound like it has no mojo.

bartlaser

• Rep: 16
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2023, 02:01:58 PM »
1/8" Ace shock pads.

A tidge more leverage upon pop and smoothes out shit ground a smidge-a-roonie

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2023, 07:58:08 PM »
I like
green gold
Purple and gold
Burgundy and gold is dope too.

Also my absolute favorite color combination is watermelon light grey and brick red. I done mad pieces in this combo.

The gold comes from when I used to ride lowrider bikes with my brothers I think. Before I wasn't into it.

I ride my front right wheel graphic out. I don't remember why but I've done it for a very long time. If I can't do it I get uncomfortable af when I look at it.

The spit classic full wheel graphic brother me. I heard BA talk about that. That shit was one of those moments when you feel like WTF! YO!! We fucking small graphic gang!!Yes

No matter what the graphic size right front has to be out. I'll fuckin go back to the house and fix it if I gotta. Brb

I've noticed over the years other people do it too. I think fuckin what's his name. Daewons bud with the beard does it too.

I gotta have it or I'm not stoked.

I don't like using a razor blade to cut my grip. I fucking grind it cut with the side of a screwdriver. I hold the grind angle so it shows max top ply.

I want my grip to look like die cut.

I can't find my screwdriver rn....so that last one got cut with the blade.
I'm surprised I haven't gotten hurt over it yet.
Would have used my truck to do it but they had no grind marks yet.

It's way worse karma to scratch a brand new truck like that.

I need risers now. Even with small wheels. Unless I ain't got any then cool I'll get some later.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -445
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2023, 08:28:52 AM »

Were you also in your early teens when Baker Has a Deathwish came out?

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 605
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2023, 11:31:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Were you also in your early teens when Baker Has a Deathwish came out?

Wait, I gotta Google when Baker Has A Deathwish came out. I was 17 when that video came out.
I just never liked the color red that much and it only got worse over the years. When I roll up to a difficult trick (which are most of them) and I ride past some red trash or see a red car, I stop and turn around.
IG: @flowterspace

Ourladyoftheflowers

• Rep: 89
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2023, 10:11:17 AM »
Used to ride medium tight trucks last two sets i started riding loose (to me). Lost my pop for a few weeks but it’s back and loose trucks make everything easier and more forgiving. My one strange quirk is I seem to ride my trucks opposite of my friends. I ride my back truck a little looser than my front. Been doing it even when I rode tight trucks. I kinda love the fishtail feeling. Originally it happened just from how I was riding (a friend tried my board and pointed it out) and now I adjust to get it right. Don’t know why but I like to feel a little out of control. I also only tighten my axels flush and have never had to deal with rethreading. Checking the play on my wheels has become an ocd habit before doing a hard trick

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2023, 03:16:10 PM »
I countersink my hardware holes to clear any griptape from the holes so that there's no chance that any griptape remnants get into the threads of the hardware and inevitably ruin the hardware. I have been using a phillips screwdriver to countersink which works fine but I kind of want to get some actual countersinking drill bits from a machining tools store

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2023, 12:13:03 AM »
filing the griptape aftr razor cutting em..

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1577
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2023, 08:35:05 AM »
Strangely I always have the most horrific grip jobs…..could be it’s because I suck at it….

hiljentaa

• Rep: 303
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2023, 08:03:39 PM »
Only thing I am weird about is always using the washers that come with Indy aftermarket bushings in all my trucks and Girl longneck 7/8" Allen hardware.

marosb

• Rep: 2
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2023, 03:51:42 AM »
i put both spacers right where trucks end to maximize griding widht

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 526
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2023, 12:22:40 PM »
The baseplates on my aces have fucked up oval holes. I hate it!
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Pbn_jake

• Rep: 30
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2023, 03:54:02 PM »

I have an extra set of classic ace baseplates that are brand new if you’d like. You can also order them from krudco

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2023, 05:36:05 PM »
Orchard is the only shop I'm comfortable with them gripping my bloard for me. I'm usually not ok with it at all and will rarely allow it.

I feel very superstitious about not gripping my own ride. Like it knows I didn't give it enough love and affection and it low key wants blood compensation.

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 526
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2023, 06:47:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have an extra set of classic ace baseplates that are brand new if you’d like. You can also order them from krudco

Thank you, I ride the AF1's though... do you know if they're compatible?
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Pbn_jake

• Rep: 30
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2023, 07:38:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thank you, I ride the AF1's though... do you know if they're compatible?

Not a thousand percent sure. Likely a thread about it tho