11 (3.1%)
Dying to Live
3 (0.8%)
Mosaic
16 (4.5%)
Menikmati
10 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 353

Author Topic: Yeah Right vs Sorry vs Baker 3  (Read 7118 times)

ziggy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -218
Re: Yeah Right vs Sorry vs Baker 3
« Reply #180 on: September 08, 2023, 03:02:21 AM »
I like the variety in Sorry

Photo and Mosaic are a bit samey, either you are completely taken by it or you aren’t

I aren’t

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1482
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #181 on: September 08, 2023, 06:34:28 AM »
Expand Quote
It’s Mosaic for me. No skips. Just rips.

Yeah Right and Sorry I have to vert button past skits and much of the appeal of those videos when they were the bleeding edge is the impact of a lot of tricks have weakened.

The worst part is they don’t make me feel like I need to go skate after watching them. Mosaic makes me want to roll.

My honorable mention: Dan Wolfe Closure
[close]

I love Closure, but it's a greatest hits album by Dan Wolfe.

Fully agree on Mosaic, it was peak Habitat that Inhabitants could never reach.
I love Dan Wolfe and Closure gets me out skating still, too. That's one of the biggest measuring sticks for me. If your video is getting a 49 year old man with chronic knee pain out the door, then I feel like it's worth noting.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 972
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #182 on: September 08, 2023, 07:30:40 AM »
I'm sorry that sorry ain't my favorite shit.

I like shackle me not
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -360
« Reply #183 on: September 08, 2023, 08:16:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Five pages deep and no mention of Real to Reel?

There was a lot of hype around This is Skateboarding and the DC Video around the times of their releases

Baker 3 felt like one of the first videos that was instantly accessible on the internet. Yeah of course that video probably had the largest influence on skateboarding culture of the decade

FF was all anyone talked about for nearly 2 years (lead-up and after its release). FF basically broke the internet back then

Sorry! is goat-level for all the reasons previously stated

Mosaic was my personal favorite from the minute it dropped through today. Pretty fucking perfect and timeless
[close]

Mosaic is the true perfect video. People saying Sorry but Alex Chalmers and Rune Glifberg parts were the weak points. Mosaic is a marsterpiece.

Mosaic is definitely the most well rounded between level of skating, editing, music, roster, spots, and impact. You had a section from a peak core workshop team and the full length of habitat so it's a win win.

I'm surprised at the amount of Yeah Right! dismissal too. That Paul Rodriguez coming out party of a part just made it official he was the successor to Koston's throne. Girl was the hottest thing smoking then and that video didn't disappoint whatsoever. Everything else was just competing for 2nd place at that point until crail decided to drop again.

tadej Pog

• Rep: -527
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #184 on: September 08, 2023, 01:11:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

There was a lot of hype around This is Skateboarding and the DC Video around the times of their releases

Baker 3 felt like one of the first videos that was instantly accessible on the internet. Yeah of course that video probably had the largest influence on skateboarding culture of the decade

FF was all anyone talked about for nearly 2 years (lead-up and after its release). FF basically broke the internet back then

Mosaic was my personal favorite from the minute it dropped through today. Pretty fucking perfect and timeless
[close]

Mosaic is the true perfect video. People saying Sorry but Alex Chalmers and Rune Glifberg parts were the weak points. Mosaic is a marsterpiece.
[close]

Mosaic is definitely the most well rounded between level of skating, editing, music, roster, spots, and impact. You had a section from a peak core workshop team and the full length of habitat so it's a win win.

I'm surprised at the amount of Yeah Right! dismissal too. That Paul Rodriguez coming out party of a part just made it official he was the successor to Koston's throne. Girl was the hottest thing smoking then and that video didn't disappoint whatsoever. Everything else was just competing for 2nd place at that point until crail decided to drop again.

Sorry is Apples, Arto and Geof. Even Bastien part is not that good, his really sorry was better.

Although, Mosaic is perfect till the end. Girl at the time was the biggest board brand in the game and everybody only talked about it. At the time we had time to spend watching skits before the skate session.

Its slap…photo over yeah right is cool guys missing Gravis and Analog.
Miss you Rusty Berings

biggietoms

• Rep: 8
  • take acid
« Reply #185 on: September 08, 2023, 02:58:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Sorry is Apples, Arto and Geof. Even Bastien part is not that good, his really sorry was better.

Although, Mosaic is perfect till the end. Girl at the time was the biggest board brand in the game and everybody only talked about it. At the time we had time to spend watching skits before the skate session.

how was bastien sorry part and danny garcias mosaic part not that good?

Southernmost

• Rep: 116
« Reply #186 on: September 08, 2023, 03:03:02 PM »
I just rewatched Bastiens part and it was good. Maybe not his best part but it holds up for when it was filmed. He was what, 15/16 at the time? Pretty much his debut. Filmed in a short amount of time if I remember correctly. Probably one of the best for his age in that era and probably the biggest kf front board ever when it dropped.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
« Reply #187 on: September 08, 2023, 03:40:14 PM »
I just rewatched Bastiens part and it was good. Maybe not his best part but it holds up for when it was filmed. He was what, 15/16 at the time? Pretty much his debut. Filmed in a short amount of time if I remember correctly. Probably one of the best for his age in that era and probably the biggest kf front board ever when it dropped.

Think it remains the biggest kick flip fs board

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #188 on: September 08, 2023, 06:14:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Bastien and apples are the only parts I can just throw on and watch at any given moment to this day so you lost me entirely with that take. That Bastien third and army line stands out in my mind the most out of that video. Way too many high level tech handrail NBDs for 2001 at the age of 15 and I don't think he got the credit he deserved for that part personally.

Puddy Smally

• Rep: 159
« Reply #189 on: September 08, 2023, 06:20:52 PM »
I fully maintain that Bastien could have been a GOAT under the right circumstances.

Same with CK1, same with Daan.

It makes you realize that in life many things are subject to the universal equation of “equal parts will/motivation and luck”.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

Pony_Slaystation

« Reply #190 on: September 08, 2023, 06:21:29 PM »
People saying Bastien’s part wasn’t that good are lying to themselves. That dude was on a whole ‘nother level and his part was way ahead of it’s time.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #191 on: September 08, 2023, 08:49:01 PM »
I fully maintain that Bastien could have been a GOAT under the right circumstances.

Same with CK1, same with Daan.

It makes you realize that in life many things are subject to the universal equation of “equal parts will/motivation and luck”.

ck1 and Daan both for sure.

Sorry definitely had the heavy hitters. bastien was intense. the whole video was.
flip was kind of a cooler version of 2nd act plan b tho.
shit like mosiac, photosynthesis, at least as contrived, but came off more mellow and rewatch able

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #192 on: September 08, 2023, 09:19:41 PM »
Are people counting the habitat section when they say photosynthesis? And honestly how many people would watch sorry start to end?

Whole threads actually made me pretty thankful to have YouTube and be able to just put on any part whenever I want.

actually watching VHS was fucking annoying. Put in tape watch it on fast forward until the part you want, watch for two mins, fast forward to the next part you want. Stop. Rewind. Eject. Repeat with next tape.

DVDs were a bit better because you could skip thru parts but a lot of older DVDs had unskippable stuff before the menu so you'd have to wait five mins every time you put a new one on.

Shortys Hardware

• Rep: 106
« Reply #193 on: September 08, 2023, 10:00:14 PM »
Are people counting the habitat section when they say photosynthesis?

Why wouldn't they? makes up a third of the video, no full length with out it

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #194 on: September 08, 2023, 10:09:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Only a third?

I have a warped sense of time.  I didn’t realize until recently that Jamie’s part in Misled is basically as long as everyone else’s part combined

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #195 on: September 08, 2023, 10:19:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Only a third?

I have a warped sense of time.  I didn’t realize until recently that Jamie’s part in Misled is basically as long as everyone else’s part combined
Ha I think we must have always skipped the habitat bit just because it feels too different and just watched it separately.

Misled youth could be edited like a modern vans video with a team montage and a single part. Jump off a building only goes for like 12 mins without an intro or the cartoon.

tadej Pog

« Reply #196 on: September 08, 2023, 10:32:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Bastien and apples are the only parts I can just throw on and watch at any given moment to this day so you lost me entirely with that take. That Bastien third and army line stands out in my mind the most out of that video. Way too many high level tech handrail NBDs for 2001 at the age of 15 and I don't think he got the credit he deserved for that part personally.

How someone can love bastien and apples at the same time? Bastien lands his tricks weird and squats more than necessary. Weird style and bad trick selection.

Kick flip fs board? Its can be biggest rail, the trick is not cool, only loses to inward heel. Contest guy trick.

In other hand Appleyard is the style goat.
Miss you Rusty Berings

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #197 on: September 08, 2023, 10:44:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Only a third?

[close]
Ha I think we must have always skipped the habitat bit just because it feels too different and just watched it separately.

Misled youth could be edited like a modern vans video with a team montage and a single part. Jump off a building only goes for like 12 mins without an intro or the cartoon.

My memory of photo is always AVE Habitat Kalis Dill (and Dway Red Bull ramp trick lol).   I know there’s other riders in there like Corcoran and I think Pops, but I don’t have vivid memories of it until I rewatch

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #198 on: September 09, 2023, 06:02:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

How someone can love bastien and apples at the same time? Bastien lands his tricks weird and squats more than necessary. Weird style and bad trick selection.

Kick flip fs board? Its can be biggest rail, the trick is not cool, only loses to inward heel. Contest guy trick.

Yea we're on two opposite ends of the spectrum. Dude could switch heel up 6 stairs so if you think you won't need to exaggerate the crouch for that kind of explosiveness then that's crazy. The nollie heel crook/back lip/tail down handrails on top of hucking switch, nollie and fakie off everything just being so far ahead of almost everyone else before his prime sold it for me. That tech gnar edge was blowing everybody out the water.

Plus I'm not sure why people are hung up on the flip front board(s) meanwhile he's big flipping and switch 270ing into them as well. He basically dropped/filmed a part per year for 5 years 2000-2005 until he was blackballed and ousted from the industry.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 06:23:47 AM by Kanye Omari West »

CrappyChan

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #199 on: September 09, 2023, 11:04:41 AM »
You guys forgot Modus and Man Down
"From Todd Falcon to Tony Hawk, the Ben Raybourn story"

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -439
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #200 on: September 09, 2023, 12:55:30 PM »
Kick flip fs board? It’s can be biggest rail, the trick is not cool, only loses to inward heel. Contest guy trick.

Pardon me, what the fuck?

tadej Pog

« Reply #201 on: September 09, 2023, 01:55:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yea we're on two opposite ends of the spectrum. Dude could switch heel up 6 stairs so if you think you won't need to exaggerate the crouch for that kind of explosiveness then that's crazy. The nollie heel crook/back lip/tail down handrails on top of hucking switch, nollie and fakie off everything just being so far ahead of almost everyone else before his prime sold it for me. That tech gnar edge was blowing everybody out the water.

Plus I'm not sure why people are hung up on the flip front board(s) meanwhile he's big flipping and switch 270ing into them as well. He basically dropped/filmed a part per year for 5 years 2000-2005 until he was blackballed and ousted from the industry.

I was surpriser when I saw nollie heel back tail in that tiny rail at the first time. But, flip fs boardslide is  a contest trick and its ugly. I rather watch his really sorry part that is clean and has more cool tricks.

But now lets talk about Photo…cmon guys… it was an Habitat video. Most of the habitat guys had full parts and more clips than Alien Riders.
Dirdek 90% indor skatepark footage was a shame even for that era. The video had some skits like Dill in that olimpic sport and others 2.  Thats why I always was an Habitad fan more than Alien…to many drugs and ego.
Miss you Rusty Berings

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #202 on: September 09, 2023, 10:44:15 PM »
Funny to rewatch Mosaic and see Pluhoski wearing dunks before that was a thing

Longtimelurker

• Rep: 0
« Reply #203 on: September 10, 2023, 12:49:15 AM »
Arto, Geoff and appleyard all untouchable at that time. Sorry takes that cake.

Interesting experiment though, if you take out the first and last part of each video and just watched the “middle” that tends to have a bit more filler parts but still get the overall vibe of the video,  how much does your opinion change?
 I don’t think sorry would hold up without arto and appleyard but I think yeah right would still be up there without koston and biebel

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #204 on: September 10, 2023, 01:24:23 AM »
Arto, Geoff and appleyard all untouchable at that time. Sorry takes that cake.

Interesting experiment though, if you take out the first and last part of each video and just watched the “middle” that tends to have a bit more filler parts but still get the overall vibe of the video,  how much does your opinion change?
 I don’t think sorry would hold up without arto and appleyard but I think yeah right would still be up there without koston and biebel

Huh?   The middle of Sorry is Bastian and Rowley.   The middle of Photo is the Habitat section, so that def holds up

All Crail vids sag in the middle and just did a rewatch on Mosaic and wasn’t wild about the middle bits but goddamn those last parts are better than remembered.    Danny Garcia would have been rad on NB#

Loady McGee

• Rep: 55
« Reply #205 on: September 10, 2023, 09:02:26 AM »
No Bag of Suck in the poll? That might be my favorite from the 00's but it's basically impossible to pick a definitive favorite.

biggietoms

• Rep: 8
  • take acid
« Reply #206 on: September 10, 2023, 05:10:03 PM »
No Bag of Suck in the poll? That might be my favorite from the 00's but it's basically impossible to pick a definitive favorite.

ya man i fucked up, def deserves to be on this list. my original thought was just to include the 3 in the title, but then it dawned on me that they might just my own personal opinion about the best from that time (looks like i wasnt too far tho off judging by the results) .

imo as good as bag of suck is, its def an underdog, which makes it shine.  i guess my original thinking was was star power, hype, magnitude…all that jazz. as much as i love bag of suck, i guess i didnt see it as a direct competitor to sorry, like some of the others i listed.

that being said tho…”palasonic” is lacking alot of those things, but i think its the best video of 2010-2019 next to cherry. 

disgruntledMTAEmployee

• Rep: -443
« Reply #207 on: September 10, 2023, 06:29:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

agree with everything you said here. saying that part was not that good is a beyond fried take.
bastien probably had harder tricks in really sorry, but it just doesn't have the same impact his sorry part does. you could feel the energy and speed in sorry, kid went the fuck off. look at how frantically hard he pushes in his fakie flip line at le dome. and in the third and army line the switch flip looks pretty gross like he just learned them, and yet who cares? stomp it the fuck down and go fast, just get after it. the whole package of the skating + music + editing gets me juiced asf and out of all the parts in sorry ive rewatched his the most. it's probably one of my favorite parts ever, it had the magic.

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #208 on: September 10, 2023, 07:52:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

agree with everything you said here. saying that part was not that good is a beyond fried take.
bastien probably had harder tricks in really sorry, but it just doesn't have the same impact his sorry part does. you could feel the energy and speed in sorry, kid went the fuck off. look at how frantically hard he pushes in his fakie flip line at le dome. and in the third and army line the switch flip looks pretty gross like he just learned them, and yet who cares? stomp it the fuck down and go fast, just get after it. the whole package of the skating + music + editing gets me juiced asf and out of all the parts in sorry ive rewatched his the most. it's probably one of my favorite parts ever, it had the magic.

That's what I'm saying. Downplaying that whole shit I can't even understand nor am I going to try. If you know you know.