Author Topic: video edits - tips and tricks, touches, etc.  (Read 233 times)

realbasedgod112

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 80
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
video edits - tips and tricks, touches, etc.
« on: May 08, 2023, 09:17:31 AM »
looking for some input into video editing, not just for myself but for those future generations of video editors and filmers - maybe for myself though because i don't know shit:

assuming almost everyone featured in the video is an unremarkable or entirely mediocre skater, what are some easy-ish ways to make the hypothetical video more interesting? i'll dot point some potential concepts i have in mind
-ratio of hijinks to actual skating
-where to position the most impressive footage in the edit
-correlation between choices of genre and the type of skating (e.g. crusty street, bowls and transition, 'freestyle' tomfoolery)

i can already tell there will be comments telling me it's not this serious, and i just want to say that it is this serious. skate videos are a science, even if you haven't learned that science yet.
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

switchfakie

Re: video edits - tips and tricks, touches, etc.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2023, 07:16:04 AM »
if you have b roll -> b roll -> clip
play the the pre-trick audio of the clip over the b roll (the audio from before the trick occurs). it helps with continuity
so delete the b roll audio & stretch the clip audio from before the trick happens (try to film 10s before the trick happens - esp for lines or big drops)

fake film burns are always ass

adobe illustrator is good for making background-less images you can overlay over your edit

johnficenec

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -21
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: video edits - tips and tricks, touches, etc.
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2023, 09:12:01 AM »

-where to position the most impressive footage in the edit

i like the concept of starting and ending with your best clips.

in a perfect world, you'd be able to sprinkle some heat in the middle as well, so you don't lose the viewer's attention.

but ideally, you crack right off the bat with something strong to reel 'em in, and then bang 'em over the head with your ender.

in my experience, a lot of the same principles that apply to film editing can be carried over into skate videos too.

above all else, pacing is the most important thing imho. there's not a science to it, but you can almost "feel" when a clip should be trimmed on either side to best service the rest of the video/song.

also, this is probably super obvious, but starting off your edit knowing what song you're going to use and then laying that down in the timeline first is always helpful for me.

lastly, one of the greatest things i ever learned from skate videos is that it's okay to "edit" and shorten (or elongate i suppose) songs. some of my fav videos growing up (good & evil, inhabitants, etc.) would literally remove portions of songs and i wouldn't even notice it until i went onto itunes to buy the song and heard a whole new verse lol.

pardon the rambling!