Author Topic: The Griptape thread  (Read 10610 times)

Pbn_jake

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 29
Re: The Griptape thread
« Reply #210 on: September 22, 2023, 03:35:20 PM »
Honestly, I'm kinda tripping out on how frequently some of y'all seem to be re-gripping your boards.

Right? I’ve only ever un-gripped a board once just so I knew the process and fuck that

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 942
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #211 on: September 22, 2023, 03:42:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Does the embossed on the bottom of the board makes it slides faster?
[close]

The couple of those sort of boards I have had didn't necessarily slide faster, but it is less surface area to grip, so in that regard it might not stick as much, which could then be said to slide faster for some people.

They also look pretty cool when the graphic wears off certain areas and leaves the remaining graphic against the worn wood grain, especially the Krooked flowers boards.
[close]

I didn't notice anything different with this deck, no. The regular 8.38 Ishod twins are slick decks, but as far as I can tell this special version wasn't.
[close]

Speaking of those DLX slicks, is it just me or are they terrible? They def aren’t like the old school slicks..

I have seen one I got in specifically for someone who wanted one, but haven't skated it to know the difference.

The guy I got it for loves them and prefers them to regular wood with wax, but he did say they are a bit heavier and can sound or feel different to a nice crispy normal wood board.

There have been quite a few options of slick surface over the years, but the most common one was the white plastic like surface on the old Santa Cruz Knox and other boards, more recently on the New Deal reissues, so I got to feel a few of those not too long ago, as well as having a few different options growing up, especially the Alien Workshop diorama boards I had quite a few of in the 90s.

Guessing some people will really like them but others will find they prefer plain wood and just layer that thing with wax for the same slip and slide feel, for less weight and cost.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

GBLange

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 273
« Reply #212 on: September 27, 2023, 06:04:17 AM »
Powell SST.. Before they became mini logos..

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 110
« Reply #213 on: September 27, 2023, 07:34:26 AM »
Listen to Black Magic

davy

• Rep: 9
« Reply #214 on: October 27, 2023, 09:59:36 AM »
What's the easiest way to do a vertical line when gripping? I tried doing this eye balling it and I couldn't get it straight for the life of me.

mdspb

• Rep: 25
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #215 on: October 27, 2023, 10:24:04 AM »
Cut it as straight as you can, measured to where you want it.
Then turn the pieces 180 so you use the factory-straight outside edges on the inside.
JAH SK8 SPB

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 942
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #216 on: October 27, 2023, 04:37:24 PM »
What's the easiest way to do a vertical line when gripping? I tried doing this eye balling it and I couldn't get it straight for the life of me.

If it is more about getting it right on the board, I use pencil and measure and mark where the grip needs to sit so when I put grip down it covers the pencil marks and the grip is straight on the board.

I really only do lines across the board, not vertical stripes, but it works the same way.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 43
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #217 on: October 27, 2023, 10:13:40 PM »
Cut it as straight as you can, measured to where you want it.
Then turn the pieces 180 so you use the factory-straight outside edges on the inside.
IE
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

davy

« Reply #218 on: October 28, 2023, 07:39:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If it is more about getting it right on the board, I use pencil and measure and mark where the grip needs to sit so when I put grip down it covers the pencil marks and the grip is straight on the board.

I really only do lines across the board, not vertical stripes, but it works the same way.

Thanks all, I will give this another try next deck.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 273
« Reply #219 on: October 28, 2023, 07:45:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

For a symmetrical deck or u just like having a straight line in the middle?

davy

« Reply #220 on: October 28, 2023, 10:59:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

For a symmetrical deck or u just like having a straight line in the middle?

I just wanted to do some a lil different and have a straight line. Not necessarily in the middle but just to the right of the bolts.

jums

• Rep: -53
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #221 on: February 12, 2024, 03:50:46 AM »
The grip SPOT gives away for free, FKD, sucks to put on. Thick as hell with hella adhesive. I gripped a few decks yesterday and the first one I gripped with that shit is amateur looking as hell, C- grip job. You gotta file that shit way down to get a smooth clean cut. I also used a sheet of MOB and Jessup and had no issues cutting.

P.S.

It sucks when you are provided the bare minimum amount of grip for a board. Hard to put the grip on perfectly when the sides or kicks aren’t completely covered.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1866
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #222 on: February 12, 2024, 07:58:39 AM »
Listen to Black Magic

Black Magic is the shit, feels about the same as Pepper which I'm really enjoying right now. Both feel like a happy medium between Jessup and Mob.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

hiljentaa

• Rep: 276
« Reply #223 on: February 12, 2024, 08:29:41 AM »
I regret not buying a roll of Pepper when Mesa had that fat sale a couple months ago. My personal favorite.

marcusbutler

• Rep: 28
« Reply #224 on: February 21, 2024, 05:46:51 AM »
Got a couple girl boards from the 2 for $80. They sent pepper grip. I was skating jessup for the longest time. Just set up a board and new shoes. This is fucking grippy! I feel it's on par with mob. Haven't skated mob in a minute. But right now the way my board is feeling is the same reason why I stopped skating mob.
We rode 7.5's" and didn't complain.

Crailslideyoface

• Rep: 30
« Reply #225 on: February 21, 2024, 11:55:23 AM »
Got a couple girl boards from the 2 for $80. They sent pepper grip. I was skating jessup for the longest time. Just set up a board and new shoes. This is fucking grippy! I feel it's on par with mob. Haven't skated mob in a minute. But right now the way my board is feeling is the same reason why I stopped skating mob.
Same. I got a roll of pepper on Black Friday and I wish I would have just paid full price for a roll of jessup
Getting cucked by your hero on acid is TIGHT.

Mn_Mike

• Rep: 2
« Reply #226 on: February 23, 2024, 12:40:44 PM »
I'm a cheap bastard, I get whatever's free. Decks only last so long anyway.

frontsideNECKTIE

• Rep: 165
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #227 on: February 23, 2024, 12:47:05 PM »
I really dig Pepper since I got my first sheets in the crail mystery box.

I also like Mob too, so that tracks. I just trust the aggressive grit more, I guess
If for nothing else at all, I hate Tom Knox for what happened here today

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #228 on: February 23, 2024, 09:16:28 PM »
Currently using pepper and I like it alot
But I have a few sheets of mob, Sunday and lofi shop grip

I like the pepper but not enough to purchase it separately

OhioGuy

• Rep: 99
« Reply #229 on: February 24, 2024, 01:32:56 PM »
Mob is harsher than Pepper. I like doing this kooky no comply 180 nose grab thing and Mob destroys my thumb. Pepper does nothing to it. Was skating Jessup before this and now it feels slippery.