Author Topic: Daisuke Ikeda arrested for weed  (Read 13890 times)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
Re: Daisuke Ikeda arrested for weed
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2023, 08:26:09 AM »
It’s amazing to me how many skaters don’t understand different cultures have different laws. Definitely never bring weed in your board bag if you go on a surf trip to Indonesia if you ever want to go home.

Is that really what you took away from this conversation?
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Anti waxxer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -12
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2023, 08:38:14 AM »
Expand Quote
It’s amazing to me how many skaters don’t understand different cultures have different laws. Definitely never bring weed in your board bag if you go on a surf trip to Indonesia if you ever want to go home.
[close]

By slap users responses, yes.

But it does totally suck for dude, probably got weed for all the dumbasses that flew in for x games and is now taking a major hit for it. It’s kinda pathetic that skaters couldn’t go a week without weed while over there and now dudes career and freedom are in serious jeopardy.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2023, 08:41:47 AM »
Would that not make him the dumbass?  Or do you think Kyle Walker physically forced him to do it?

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2023, 09:52:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

But it does totally suck for dude, probably got weed for all the dumbasses that flew in for x games and is now taking a major hit for it. It’s kinda pathetic that skaters couldn’t go a week without weed while over there and now dudes career and freedom are in serious jeopardy.

OH COME ON POOR LITTLE 22 YEARS OLD KID COULDN'T RESIST TO HIS PEERS

If you know rules at your country can be so hard, isn´t worth the risk at all, just dont do it ::)

Inventing a story and blaming other people its just stupid
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 11:14:07 AM by mooraga »

n0torious

• Rep: 153
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2023, 10:56:20 AM »
It's very difficult to fight a criminal charge in Japan. Most people end up copping a plea because of how rigid the system is. The US is obviously weird but Japan does not have the same adversarial court where the outcome heavily depends on the effectiveness of the prosecution or defense. Once an indictment comes down, that's that.

cant kickflip but can tre

• Rep: 9
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2023, 02:23:44 PM »
I would also like to add that the police can randomly search anyone. As expected, foreigners get targeted the most. I have a friend who is black who used to live in Japan. He saw police across the train platform and when they saw him, they immediately went upstairs to go to his platform and began questioning.

In addition to strict rules on drugs, there's still a very bad image against tattoos. Anyone with one is not allowed to enter most onsens (bath houses) and are encouraged to cover them. One of my friends with a tattoo was asked to cover it up when we were at the beach just chilling on the sand. A comedian called "Cookie" has to wear tape on his wrist whenever he's on TV so his tattoos don't get shown.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2023, 03:11:33 PM »
Another question for Japanophiles: Is Japan’s economy going to collapse because they don’t have enough kids? 

Also, if they don’t smoke any weed, why do they make the best video games?  You can’t tell me Shigeru Miyamoto never toked up.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2023, 04:52:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Can anyone with some knowledge on the subject explain why the weed penalties are so strict in these countries?
[close]

Compared to america, the culture in many asian countries is still very traditional/conservative.

This usually leads to more strict drug policies.
[close]

We aren't big on civil liberties here, years of anti-drug propaganda helps fuel strong anti-drug sentiments among boomers.
[close]

Imagine the boomers are all in their 20s and you have Japan. A country with the image of technological progress but where social issues are roughly 20-40 years behind the rest of the world
For real. I mentioned smoking weed to my friends at the punk rock bar and they looked at me like I told them I was a crackhead.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2023, 05:23:09 PM »
Another question for Japanophiles: Is Japan’s economy going to collapse because they don’t have enough kids? 

Also, if they don’t smoke any weed, why do they make the best video games?  You can’t tell me Shigeru Miyamoto never toked up.

Legend has it that mushrooms were legal and widely available until 2002.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 456
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2023, 06:42:43 PM »
I would also like to add that the police can randomly search anyone. As expected, foreigners get targeted the most. I have a friend who is black who used to live in Japan. He saw police across the train platform and when they saw him, they immediately went upstairs to go to his platform and began questioning.

In addition to strict rules on drugs, there's still a very bad image against tattoos. Anyone with one is not allowed to enter most onsens (bath houses) and are encouraged to cover them. One of my friends with a tattoo was asked to cover it up when we were at the beach just chilling on the sand. A comedian called "Cookie" has to wear tape on his wrist whenever he's on TV so his tattoos don't get shown.

I kinda knew about the tattoo stuff from watching Japanese boxing. They'd always make Kazuto Ioka cover his tattoos with makeup but it'd usually get all smeared part way through the bout. Is it all to do with Yakuza and gang kinda stuff?

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2023, 07:38:32 PM »
i thought it was Daisuka Ikeda, the Buddhist philospher..

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2023, 09:50:31 PM »
Japan is still a great place to go to as a traveler (biased because I am Japanese), but if you want to just freely skate or smoke weed, Europe is probably a much better place to go for vacation
I often times skate and smoke weed freely lol

Is Japan racist against Mexicans? They ever see Mexicans?

Japan needs more babies? Down to volunteer to do my part lol 🙋‍♂️🙋‍♂️

nothing's been the since same

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2023, 07:17:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Mr. Higher Than Thou over here thinks that since a lot of us are repulsed by Japanese drug laws that we would just go willy nilly over there and all of us get arrested. You’re so smart bro WOW!! Way smarter than any of the rest of us.

Showing how out of touch by saying “don’t ever bring weed to surf trip in indo” is that your way of humble bragging about going to indo? News flash this is a skate forum nobody really gives a shit about going on a surf trip to indonesia bruh. And if they did they’d know that it’s a death sentence.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2023, 07:24:23 AM »
I’ll have you know that I never visit another country without intending to start an international incident.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Anti waxxer

• Rep: -12
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2023, 03:40:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Mr. Higher Than Thou over here thinks that since a lot of us are repulsed by Japanese drug laws that we would just go willy nilly over there and all of us get arrested. You’re so smart bro WOW!! Way smarter than any of the rest of us.

Showing how out of touch by saying “don’t ever bring weed to surf trip in indo” is that your way of humble bragging about going to indo? News flash this is a skate forum nobody really gives a shit about going on a surf trip to indonesia bruh. And if they did they’d know that it’s a death sentence.

Damn you super butthurt huh? And funny enough there’s threads about surfing on slap, and snowboarding hell even bmx. Also check out all the new parks they just built in indo lot more than just surfing to do there.

Fartknocker415

« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2023, 04:01:05 PM »
Suuuuper butthurt brah ;D

Nah u just a cornball

cdubble

• Rep: 10
« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2023, 03:24:48 AM »
Anyone got an update…..? He’s live on insta right now

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2023, 06:27:29 PM »
Thank you to those sharing information about the cultural and political climate in Japan to help us better understand the issue. I have a potential solution for how this problem may be resolved.

1. Don't approach this issue with the intent of legalizing marijuana.  Rather, appeal to their conservative sensibilities by outlawing MORE things. EVIL things. More specifically, weeds.

2. After all weeds are made illegal, the entire nation will be on the verge of imploding due to the ubiquitous influence of sea weed across all of their cuisine. At that point, it will force them to think about what the "big deal is" between sea weed and weed.

*deep inhale*

You know what I mean, man (while trying to hold the hit in)?

*coughing*
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2023, 11:27:55 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Legend has it that mushrooms were legal and widely available until 2002.
it's true!
The economy might collapse at it's current trajectory, but Japan (and specifically Japanese universities) are putting in a lot more effort to bring in young (and educated) talent to fill the gap

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

AdditionalSlip

• Rep: -27
« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2023, 12:30:05 AM »

Sakurai on crack !

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2023, 05:46:11 AM »
Thank you to those sharing information about the cultural and political climate in Japan to help us better understand the issue. I have a potential solution for how this problem may be resolved.

1. Don't approach this issue with the intent of legalizing marijuana.  Rather, appeal to their conservative sensibilities by outlawing MORE things. EVIL things. More specifically, weeds.

2. After all weeds are made illegal, the entire nation will be on the verge of imploding due to the ubiquitous influence of sea weed across all of their cuisine. At that point, it will force them to think about what the "big deal is" between sea weed and weed.

*deep inhale*

You know what I mean, man (while trying to hold the hit in)?

*coughing*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vBesOFURek&ab_channel=MrTHEOTHERGUYS
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 411
« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2023, 06:51:10 AM »
Similar stuff happens over here in China as well. The drug laws are absolutely draconian, to the point where consumption is illegal - if you test positive you can get busted, even if the consumption took place outside the country. Possession of even very minor amounts of weed etc can land you in jail for years.

At the same time, it seems that many local skaters get so fascinated and come to identify so strongly with what they see of skate culture in the US and wherever else on insta that they forget where they are.

Coldpizza

• Rep: 146
« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2023, 01:45:35 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I kinda knew about the tattoo stuff from watching Japanese boxing. They'd always make Kazuto Ioka cover his tattoos with makeup but it'd usually get all smeared part way through the bout. Is it all to do with Yakuza and gang kinda stuff?

Yep. Tattoos have long been stigmatised in Japan due to its links with the criminal underworld especially the Yakuza and other organized crime groups. That said they definitely look down on heavily tattooed tourists in areas as well…
In 2018 I was in Tokyo for work where we were put up in very nice hotel. I have a full coverage torso tattoo and while I was at the pool in the hotel I was politely asked to put a shirt on and not visit the pool unless “properly and professionally covered up”.
I wasn’t surprised about issues with tattoos, but also was surprised that even at a hotel pool where no one else was I still got told to cover up (and I’m a white dude with glasses from America).
I’d still go back tho.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2023, 08:37:53 PM »
Similar stuff happens over here in China as well. The drug laws are absolutely draconian, to the point where consumption is illegal - if you test positive you can get busted, even if the consumption took place outside the country. Possession of even very minor amounts of weed etc can land you in jail for years.

At the same time, it seems that many local skaters get so fascinated and come to identify so strongly with what they see of skate culture in the US and wherever else on insta that they forget where they are.

I've seen weed graphics on decks / wheels get censored on Taobao, very amusing.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

SHARPSHOOTER

• Rep: -270
  • Bret Hart
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2023, 11:41:17 AM »
Former skateboarder lol. Poor guy.

So funny complain about oppression in Canada and the US. Really makes you grateful to be here

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2023, 12:34:43 PM »

So funny complain about oppression in Canada and the US. Really makes you grateful to be here

There are people in the US still serving life sentences for weed.

burntout

« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2023, 12:41:00 PM »

Which part of China do you live? I’m an American citizen but I love skating in China and Japan. Wonder how COVID restrictions are in China

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2023, 03:04:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Whoa, life seems pretty gnarly for possession!

SHARPSHOOTER

• Rep: -270
  • Bret Hart
« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2023, 03:54:37 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah people arrested in the 60s. Im talking now. All those cases definitely have or should be looked at. Sure it’s not so simple though

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2023, 06:37:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Yeah people arrested in the 60s. Im talking now. All those cases definitely have or should be looked at. Sure it’s not so simple though

Not the 60s, the beginning of this century. Weed has been legal in a handful of states for barely more than a decade and there has never been a mass expunging of weed convictions on a federal level. My point is that the US doesn’t exactly have a leg to stand on when it comes to locking people up for minor drug crimes.