Author Topic: RIP Muni?  (Read 14135 times)

Septa Bus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -58
Re: RIP Muni?
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2023, 06:08:40 PM »
love that lil hubba at shakespeare i never see anyone there
Expand Quote
This is shaping up to be Bunt of the Year
[close]
I hope you like home runs fucker

wildbillhiccup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -77
  • JACKASS
« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2023, 10:26:44 AM »
All of the game pieces have been removed (bingo, sorry, ect) and the dominos are as we speakÖ

RIP

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 360
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2023, 10:39:06 AM »
Does anybody know what the city is planning to do? Sorry to be uneducated on the topic but I havenít gotten a clear impression of what is planned from social media coverage of this. Do we know for sure that Muni will be gone gone or are they just fixing up the place?

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 407
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2023, 10:45:33 AM »
Does anybody know what the city is planning to do? Sorry to be uneducated on the topic but I havenít gotten a clear impression of what is planned from social media coverage of this. Do we know for sure that Muni will be gone gone or are they just fixing up the place?

the plan is basically to "match" what they've done to LOVE and City Hall. Green space, seating, etc... I haven't actually seen (or even really investigated) what the actual plans are though.

Jawn Gyatti

• Rep: 6
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2023, 01:36:42 PM »
I wonder if the old pieces will be moved to the same lot in the middle of nowhere that the Love Park tiles, trash cans, etc. are at.

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 188
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2023, 01:48:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

the plan is basically to "match" what they've done to LOVE and City Hall. Green space, seating, etc... I haven't actually seen (or even really investigated) what the actual plans are though.

This is what I found a little while back. There's more renderings in the article

Don't know much about Philly or Muni but it looks like they're adding grass, a shade structure and a long stair set

https://landscapearchitecturemagazine.org/2020/12/10/pained-plaza/#comments

ticklefingers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • middleweight lurker
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2023, 01:59:31 PM »
I wonder if the old pieces will be moved to the same lot in the middle of nowhere that the Love Park tiles, trash cans, etc. are at.

Similar thing happened in San Francisco when the Market Street black marble benches were removed. The city moved them to an empty lot in Hunters Point, coincidently a few blocks from the Thrasher/SLAP office.

After years of nagging, someone convinced the city to move them to Waller St where they've been for ~10 years.

Banned from the room

« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2023, 02:43:55 PM »
Im such a foolish wimp.

I definitely need to jump on a bus this year. I need to see it all before it's too late

switchfakie

« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2023, 03:03:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

This is what I found a little while back. There's more renderings in the article

Expand Quote
Don't know much about Philly or Muni but it looks like they're adding grass, a shade structure and a long stair set

[close]

that grass is gonna be B R O W N

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 360
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2023, 04:27:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

This really hurts to see

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

benboardbreaker

• Rep: 47
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2023, 02:09:30 AM »
What a shame. I visited some years back just after they torn down love park unfortunately. It was weird to see how small the plazas was. both muni and love. and I didn't know that it was just next to each other. any way these two spots has given skateboarding so much.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -244
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2023, 03:29:25 AM »
The group picture was a thing of beauty.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -332
« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2023, 06:31:04 AM »
RSVP Muni

RSVP DC Shoes

ThomasShitt

« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2023, 07:32:11 AM »
RSVP Muni

RSVP DC Shoes

see you there brother

Dollar Bill

• Rep: -13
« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2023, 10:29:34 AM »
Expand Quote
some strange takes in here.....the ice tea and hoagie you bought at wawa is not "tourism dollars"
[close]
much less "millions of tourist dollars"
Skaters coming to the city are crashing on friends' floors, not getting a room at the 4 Seasons (or even holiday inn)

How about the people that have gone to further their education there or moved there because of skateboarding? They count more to the city bottom line than "tourism dollars".

Paperclip20

• Rep: 139
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2023, 10:58:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
some strange takes in here.....the ice tea and hoagie you bought at wawa is not "tourism dollars"
[close]
Skaters coming to the city are crashing on friends' floors, not getting a room at the 4 Seasons (or even holiday inn)
[close]

How about the people that have gone to further their education there or moved there because of skateboarding? They count more to the city bottom line than "tourism dollars".

Sadly I think this is a much smaller group than you're imagining

bluntfullofmid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2023, 05:47:04 PM »
whats the status of muni at the moment? is it already done? visiting philly at the end of the month and am dying to skate it before its dirt
"yall act like abusin' women is so bad."
- Crailtap

Sidewalk Funk.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2023, 07:36:51 PM »
whats the status of muni at the moment? is it already done? visiting philly at the end of the month and am dying to skate it before its dirt

All of the benches and chess pieces are gone, but the locals are still keeping it going propping up tiles and stacking tiles to create new ledges. Looks like the final days of Muni have been pretty epic. Those guys have been doing whatever they want with what is left of the plaza since it's all going to be gone anyway. If you use Instagram, Brian Panebianco posts updates to his stories almost daily.

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2023, 05:50:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

All of the benches and chess pieces are gone, but the locals are still keeping it going propping up tiles and stacking tiles to create new ledges. Looks like the final days of Muni have been pretty epic. Those guys have been doing whatever they want with what is left of the plaza since it's all going to be gone anyway. If you use Instagram, Brian Panebianco posts updates to his stories almost daily.

4th July instagram stories showed good vibes down there, dudes were grilling while raining and ended with fireworks and a cop falling from his bike being a dumbass  ;D

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2023, 06:05:26 AM »
Be sure to walk up and say hi to the locals. Maybe start a conversation.

Dollar Bill

« Reply #80 on: July 07, 2023, 07:00:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Considering Matt Reason & five of his skate friends moved to Philly to go to college back when nobody even heard of Love Park and they had ads in Thrasher that said "Philadelphia" and a phone number for Tyler School of Art, Franklin Paine skatepark org guy moved Philly cuz of skateboarding. Suicu move there to go to Temple. I think you'd be surprised the amount of people. Are you from Philly?

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 404
« Reply #81 on: July 07, 2023, 08:06:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Considering Matt Reason & five of his skate friends moved to Philly to go to college back when nobody even heard of Love Park and they had ads in Thrasher that said "Philadelphia" and a phone number for Tyler School of Art, Franklin Paine skatepark org guy moved Philly cuz of skateboarding. Suicu move there to go to Temple. I think you'd be surprised the amount of people. Are you from Philly?
So, 7 people over a span of 30 years?

Paperclip20

• Rep: 139
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #82 on: July 07, 2023, 08:57:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Didn't see he replied before but you had my exact thought haha

veritas

« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2023, 03:02:40 PM »
https://www.axios.com/local/philadelphia/2023/07/14/thomas-paine-plaza-redesign-plan

Looks just like the Love redesign, hard to tell much from those renderings but pretty shit looking overall

disgruntledMTAEmployee

• Rep: -504
« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2023, 11:29:45 AM »
dc doesn't have the money like they used to like when they offered a mil or something to save love, but muni has obviously been the heart of philly street skating in recent years, and (only guessing here) by extension a big contributor to dc's sales. you'd think they'd at the very least pay some respect to muni bring some awareness to it being torn down in a hard post on their IG or something. but nope, nothing.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 324
« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2023, 10:03:43 PM »
Only thing DC can offer nowadays is Teknic or Lynx colorway

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #86 on: August 13, 2023, 02:52:23 AM »
dc doesn't have the money like they used to like when they offered a mil or something to save love, but muni has obviously been the heart of philly street skating in recent years, and (only guessing here) by extension a big contributor to dc's sales. you'd think they'd at the very least pay some respect to muni bring some awareness to it being torn down in a hard post on their IG or something. but nope, nothing.

The majority of people skating DCís here get them for free.

AnthonyHawkins

• Rep: 2
« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2023, 03:32:07 AM »
After all the drama, someone from the gov contacted the guys from Philly and Muni actually gonna be rebuilt the way locals want and make it legal spot. confirmed.

Dollar Bill

« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2023, 07:03:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
You guys I'm sure know about marketing: If Matt and 5 of his friends move to Philly because of Love when it wasn't a thing, how many people do you think moved there when it was a thing? Are you going to argue that people didn't move to SF when EMB was a thing? Believe it or not, people move places because of the skate scene. Some are college students, some are young professionals. Some are even skateboarding professionals. They add to the bottom line certainly more than "...ice tea and hoagies at Wawa." Again, are you from Philly?"

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -397
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2023, 07:11:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
You guys I'm sure know about marketing: If Matt and 5 of his friends move to Philly because of Love when it wasn't a thing, how many people do you think moved there when it was a thing? Are you going to argue that people didn't move to SF when EMB was a thing? Believe it or not, people move places because of the skate scene. Some are college students, some are young professionals. Some are even skateboarding professionals. They add to the bottom line certainly more than "...ice tea and hoagies at Wawa." Again, are you from Philly?"
Philly tap water brain