Author Topic: RIP Muni?  (Read 12832 times)

Mandatory Reload

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 78
RIP Muni?
« on: May 16, 2023, 08:36:17 AM »
from Jahmir Brown’s IG stories  :(

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
Re: RIP Muni?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2023, 08:48:28 AM »
Damn. ‘Til It’s Dirt II
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2023, 08:55:42 AM »
Damn another USA gem I couldn't skate

Yakusoku2

• Rep: 41
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2023, 08:58:32 AM »
Wh - at :'(

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2023, 09:01:02 AM »
Philly hates skaters.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2023, 09:01:18 AM »
Going to Pulaski today that isn’t really the best news to hear when I’m going to a plaza…

doublesteveburger

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2023, 09:07:59 AM »
y'all gotta stop paying your mf taxes in philly

Wienerboy

• Rep: -94
  • Hey you're really cool and definitely not a kook
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2023, 09:19:34 AM »
If my rep is ever an even number, please kindly throw me either a kook or a gnar in order to return me to my odd number equilibrium.

Rune Spliffberg

• Rep: 94
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2023, 09:27:29 AM »
remember when philly let people skate Love for 2 days but only when it was less than 10 degrees out and then steve berra ruined even those two days by announcing his Love gap berrics bounty that he never paid out?

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2023, 09:45:56 AM »
"Progress" here means the beautiful, unique architecture built from quality materials get bulldozed and turned into a generic plaza which, except for some shitty and overpriced art, looks indistinguishable from a mall food court, with clear sightlines for police surveillance and a few entrances and egresses which can be controlled by law enforcement or whichever scam charity has rented it from the city for their 5k fun run fundraiser.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

sus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2023, 09:51:01 AM »
remember when DC shoes/Ken Block tried to give $1 mil to the city of philadelphia to keep love park alive? that would be really cool if they did something like that again although i think the brand in it's current state wouldn't be able to do that

Pastasash

• Rep: 61
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2023, 09:57:45 AM »
FML wish I never moved, NEED to get back to Philly ASAP and skate one of the last great east coast plaza's before they dust another one :( :(

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2023, 10:04:30 AM »
Damn Copley on the chopping block , now muni :(

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2156
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2023, 10:52:52 AM »
remember when philly let people skate Love for 2 days but only when it was less than 10 degrees out and then steve berra ruined even those two days by announcing his Love gap berrics bounty that he never paid out?
Pepperidge Farms remembers.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2023, 11:39:09 AM »
"Progress" here means the beautiful, unique architecture built from quality materials get bulldozed and turned into a generic plaza which, except for some shitty and overpriced art, looks indistinguishable from a mall food court, with clear sightlines for police surveillance and a few entrances and egresses which can be controlled by law enforcement or whichever scam charity has rented it from the city for their 5k fun run fundraiser.

Painfully accurate. Like yeah sure we still have LOVE park technically, they just took out anything that would make it interesting or cool looking.

I remember reading awhile back that they were gonna turn MUNI into like grass or a garden or something, just didn't want to believe it was actually true.

dannyprovolone

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2023, 12:11:33 PM »
remember when DC shoes/Ken Block tried to give $1 mil to the city of philadelphia to keep love park alive? that would be really cool if they did something like that again although i think the brand in it's current state wouldn't be able to do that

likely costs the city far more than a million to tear it down. Then many more millions for re building it into a homeless/skater free zone

veritas

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2023, 12:16:44 PM »
from Jahmir Brown’s IG stories  :(

This section in the photo with that particular row of benches is the only area thats fenced off. The rest of the plaza is open.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -480
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2023, 12:26:12 PM »
Damn if muni goes then DC is dead within  months of that cause one pretty sure they sell solely to people who skate that spot.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

IpathCats

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2023, 12:33:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Painfully accurate. Like yeah sure we still have LOVE park technically, they just took out anything that would make it interesting or cool looking.

I remember reading awhile back that they were gonna turn MUNI into like grass or a garden or something, just didn't want to believe it was actually true.

Isn't that basically what happened to love?

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -200
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2023, 12:34:38 PM »
They can turn the middle part to grass for all I care. Those tiles are cooked.

59’s getting caught in those cracks would send you flying.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -200
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2023, 12:47:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Isn't that basically what happened to love?

We skated Love for years after they turned it to grass.

The grass was kind of a blessing in disguise, too many out of towners coming in and blowing up the spot before ‘02.

The grass also effectively killed off the use of undercovers years later.

2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

GauchoAmigo

• Rep: 66
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2023, 12:52:25 PM »
Went to Philly for the first time last weekend and couldn't believe what they did to LOVE park. But the thing that tripped me out the most was how small it is now??? I never went when it was good, but in videos of the good old days there were multiple sections, the big 4 leading into the fountain, etc. Now it's literally the LOVE sign and a concrete slab with a shitty fountain in the middle and a bunch of metal folding chairs on the perimeter. It's tiny. Where did all the space go??

Pastasash

• Rep: 61
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2023, 01:03:47 PM »
Damn if muni goes then DC is dead within  months of that cause one pretty sure they sell solely to people who skate that spot.

yeah cus one plaza shutting down in one of the largest skate scenes in the country means no one there is going to buy DCs anymore  ???

c-dock

• Rep: 8
  • Lurker
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2023, 02:05:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yup both quotes perfectly sum up the situation. It was extremely sad when City Hall and LOVE were ruined, but now Muni too? Just makes me sick at this point. They're actively trying to push out a culture that had such a positive influence on the city in place of some shit nobody asked for.

Glad I got to skate these spots before they're gone but my last session at Muni was not a good one. Would hate to end on such a low note, but like many others here I probably won't be able to make it back to Philly in time

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 164
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2023, 03:43:40 PM »
Don't know much about Philly or Muni but it looks like they're adding grass, a shade structure and a long stair set

https://landscapearchitecturemagazine.org/2020/12/10/pained-plaza/#comments

slapattack

• Rep: 13
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2023, 04:05:18 PM »

username checks out

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1890
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2023, 06:28:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Pepperidge Farms remembers.

Tell me the story again grandpa, was out of the loop at the time.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 399
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2023, 06:47:28 PM »
Went to Philly for the first time last weekend and couldn't believe what they did to LOVE park. But the thing that tripped me out the most was how small it is now??? I never went when it was good, but in videos of the good old days there were multiple sections, the big 4 leading into the fountain, etc. Now it's literally the LOVE sign and a concrete slab with a shitty fountain in the middle and a bunch of metal folding chairs on the perimeter. It's tiny. Where did all the space go??

The “levels” of LOVE’s design are what made it feel larger than it was. If you had been there when it was the OG then you’d know the remake of it is the same area. LOVE wasn’t big at all. The overall design and depth of it was what made it feel bigger than it really was.

Shrinedescender

• Rep: 140
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2023, 06:59:37 PM »
From what it looks like, with the renders in that article, only the space that's going to be meaningfully reconstructed is where Dan Burman did that 50. The biggest obstacle to the plaza skaters seems then to be the steps on the other side and whatever bullshit they want to fill the plaza with to make it a more pedestrian space. It's still stupid though; and I'm sure you can expect an increase in police presence once the renovation's over. The whole "projecting a new image of the city" thing only works if you have a new image to project. The only people who are going to get any meaningful use out of that grass lawn are homeless people who need to take a leak.

backfliptofiftyfifty

• Rep: -138
  • commitment issues (in life and skating)
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2023, 08:02:54 PM »
whoever is in charge of urban planning in philly is a fucking tool