Author Topic: RIP Muni?  (Read 12833 times)

Dark Knight

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 363
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: RIP Muni?
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2023, 08:15:20 PM »
So fucking lame

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2023, 10:04:11 PM »
Philly hates skaters.

Fentanyl zombies get more love from the city than skaters (ones who keep things clean/safe)

sle_epy

• Rep: -82
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2023, 04:33:22 AM »
Expand Quote
"Progress" here means the beautiful, unique architecture built from quality materials get bulldozed and turned into a generic plaza which, except for some shitty and overpriced art, looks indistinguishable from a mall food court, with clear sightlines for police surveillance and a few entrances and egresses which can be controlled by law enforcement or whichever scam charity has rented it from the city for their 5k fun run fundraiser.
[close]

Painfully accurate. Like yeah sure we still have LOVE park technically, they just took out anything that would make it interesting or cool looking.

I remember reading awhile back that they were gonna turn MUNI into like grass or a garden or something, just didn't want to believe it was actually true.

Cities greening or whatever in the visual sense is kind of dumb if you've ever lived out in the country or visited it after having been in the city for a long time. Real nature feels low-key magical and I've never seen a curated nature space in a city that even came close or had the same feeling. Not even a large city park with nature reserves can compete with something as simple as the scenery when you're just rolling down a dusty country road right before summer hits. So green and vibrant. Keep cities cities. We don't need a meadow in the middle of them all. We don't need to destroy round the clock gathering spaces to replace them with a field people who work downtown will eat their lunch in before they head home to the burbs for the night.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

Far from relevant

• Rep: -100
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2023, 05:23:05 AM »
I'll bet all the junkies and homeless people are gonna love the new muni

Rune Spliffberg

• Rep: 94
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2023, 05:33:25 AM »
I'll bet all the junkies and homeless people are gonna love the new muni

grass soaks up piss better, it'll just be a giant green urine sponge

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -37
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2023, 05:45:33 AM »
Value engineering humanity out of existence

kookdusoleil

• Rep: 37
  • Have fun out there
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2023, 12:32:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
"Progress" here means the beautiful, unique architecture built from quality materials get bulldozed and turned into a generic plaza which, except for some shitty and overpriced art, looks indistinguishable from a mall food court, with clear sightlines for police surveillance and a few entrances and egresses which can be controlled by law enforcement or whichever scam charity has rented it from the city for their 5k fun run fundraiser.
[close]

Painfully accurate. Like yeah sure we still have LOVE park technically, they just took out anything that would make it interesting or cool looking.

I remember reading awhile back that they were gonna turn MUNI into like grass or a garden or something, just didn't want to believe it was actually true.
[close]

Yup both quotes perfectly sum up the situation. It was extremely sad when City Hall and LOVE were ruined, but now Muni too? Just makes me sick at this point. They're actively trying to push out a culture that had such a positive influence on the city in place of some shit nobody asked for.

Glad I got to skate these spots before they're gone but my last session at Muni was not a good one. Would hate to end on such a low note, but like many others here I probably won't be able to make it back to Philly in time

I’m shocked both spots lasted as long as they did with tuffguys like Oyola fighting people and running around screaming the n-word in the 90’s. It’s a terrible look for skateboarders especially considering how one bad apple can easily ruin an average non-skater’s perspective of what we do. Sadly, all positive influence can be washed away in a second after one shitty experience with someone. As skateboarders, I feel we’re in a constant state of rebuilding our reputation. Constantly resetting the “0 days since last shitty incident” clock. That’s the only thing the people in power care to see - our shittiness.

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2023, 01:31:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

love is still so interesting and cool looking! you have a phenomenal view of traffic in every direction now

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -480
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2023, 02:35:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Damn if muni goes then DC is dead within  months of that cause one pretty sure they sell solely to people who skate that spot.
[close]

yeah cus one plaza shutting down in one of the largest skate scenes in the country means no one there is going to buy DCs anymore  ???

It’s a joke given their marketing the last 5 years has been solely around reissues specifically kalis and Stevie and like 1/3 of their team is Philly people. And of  only 3 non international people on the team page who aren’t from Philly two are from Jersey right outside Philly. And then ish and Danny way . Tell me they haven’t focused solely on that scene in the past few years

Side note when did Josh Wilson get on, that’s so weird something about quasi and DC just doesn’t vibe, especially with his rich boy Connecticut fits.

PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2023, 08:05:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yup both quotes perfectly sum up the situation. It was extremely sad when City Hall and LOVE were ruined, but now Muni too? Just makes me sick at this point. They're actively trying to push out a culture that had such a positive influence on the city in place of some shit nobody asked for.

Glad I got to skate these spots before they're gone but my last session at Muni was not a good one. Would hate to end on such a low note, but like many others here I probably won't be able to make it back to Philly in time
[close]

I’m shocked both spots lasted as long as they did with tuffguys like Oyola fighting people and running around screaming the n-word in the 90’s. It’s a terrible look for skateboarders especially considering how one bad apple can easily ruin an average non-skater’s perspective of what we do. Sadly, all positive influence can be washed away in a second after one shitty experience with someone. As skateboarders, I feel we’re in a constant state of rebuilding our reputation. Constantly resetting the “0 days since last shitty incident” clock. That’s the only thing the people in power care to see - our shittiness.

The people in power are the shitty ones. Leveling a city plaza does not reduce drug use, homelessness, or crime.

Locals tend to keep it clean and respectful in order to protect their ability to skate whatever plaza they have. Not liking skateboarding doesn’t mean skateboarding shouldn’t get to happen.

And keep in mind, the Philly government has actively ignored the millions of tourist dollars skateboarders brought in over the decades just to come and see and skate Love Park.. this was never about skaters causing chaos, it’s always about control and what is socially acceptable, and the rise of hostile architecture probably.

Mandatory Reload

• Rep: 78
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2023, 08:25:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Cities greening or whatever in the visual sense is kind of dumb if you've ever lived out in the country or visited it after having been in the city for a long time. Real nature feels low-key magical and I've never seen a curated nature space in a city that even came close or had the same feeling. Not even a large city park with nature reserves can compete with something as simple as the scenery when you're just rolling down a dusty country road right before summer hits. So green and vibrant. Keep cities cities. We don't need a meadow in the middle of them all. We don't need to destroy round the clock gathering spaces to replace them with a field people who work downtown will eat their lunch in before they head home to the burbs for the night.

we’re all bummed about losing Muni but “no more green spaces in cities” is a pretty unhinged take lol

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2023, 08:56:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

this is definitely NOT IT

i live in a part of nyc with very little greenspace and it is really awful. when I go to prospect park or central park or even other smaller NYC blocks that are a block or two with trees and grass it can seriously lift my mood. I agree that it is no replacement for real nature, but for dense cities, greenspace all over the place is a requirement if you want them to be liveable.

Septa Bus

• Rep: -58
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2023, 04:43:10 AM »
already seen a few people skating it, pushed the fences out of the way when i biked home

Expand Quote
This is shaping up to be Bunt of the Year
[close]
I hope you like home runs fucker

ChipSuey

• Rep: 25
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2023, 04:56:08 AM »
Philly's mayor has been in a literal drunken stupor for pretty much his entire tenure (when he wasn't driving down to Maryland to eat in restaurants after shutting the ones in the city down) and this is how he decides to end his shitty reign, by replicating the absolute atrocity that was the razing of Love Park during Nutter's term. 

Fucking shameful.

veritas

« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2023, 08:54:22 AM »
Philly's mayor has been in a literal drunken stupor for pretty much his entire tenure (when he wasn't driving down to Maryland to eat in restaurants after shutting the ones in the city down) and this is how he decides to end his shitty reign, by replicating the absolute atrocity that was the razing of Love Park during Nutter's term. 

Fucking shameful.

Anyone who lives or has lived in Philly knows the city hates skateboarding but also just hates its residents in general. They would sooner level LOVE or Muni to turn it into an open parking lot with a huge chunk of grass for hobos to shit in, if it means overall less people in the plaza. Ive noticed the architecture at LOVE is pretty much designed to keep you walking through it and is designed to be hostile to human presence or sticking around for long. This Muni redesign is probably in the same spirit as the Love park redesign, add some green bullshit and make it unskateable, while also driving out most of the people who would use it. Turn it into some instagrammable photo op vomit that people will spend 5 minutes walking through and leave after taking a picture, rather than sticking around all day. Also by adding plants that constantly need to be maintained, it creates a reason for city workers to stay busy and regularly prevent people from skating or passing out in the plaza uninterrupted.

kookdusoleil

• Rep: 37
  • Have fun out there
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2023, 06:01:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

The people in power are the shitty ones. Leveling a city plaza does not reduce drug use, homelessness, or crime.

Locals tend to keep it clean and respectful in order to protect their ability to skate whatever plaza they have. Not liking skateboarding doesn’t mean skateboarding shouldn’t get to happen.

And keep in mind, the Philly government has actively ignored the millions of tourist dollars skateboarders brought in over the decades just to come and see and skate Love Park.. this was never about skaters causing chaos, it’s always about control and what is socially acceptable, and the rise of hostile architecture probably.

I agree with all of this

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2023, 08:16:40 PM »
People talking about greening a city like America didn’t spend roughly seventy years bulldozing landmarks to make our urban spaces more palatable to white suburbanites.

Does no one read Jane Jacobs anymore?
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Mandatory Reload

• Rep: 78
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2023, 07:27:08 AM »
People talking about greening a city like America didn’t spend roughly seventy years bulldozing landmarks to make our urban spaces more palatable to white suburbanites.

Jane Jacobs didn't argue against the existence of urban green spaces, just that they need to match the urban context that surrounds them and meet the recreational needs of the community beyond aesthetics and that an uncritical view of open space is detrimental to communities. I think there's a middle ground between "there should be no green spaces in cities" as someone in this thread argued and aggressively creating urban green spaces without concern for the other land use needs of the community. For example, there's no reason why Muni couldn't incorporate green space and plant life while still continuing to serve it's current use to skateboarders. There are tons of successful parks in places like NYC that have green space where people can lounge and hang out, play games and sports, have their dogs play, and of course serve environmental and climate purposes, while also having concrete areas that people like skateboarders/basketball players/etc. use. The goal is multi-use public spaces and if you're not including green space you're actually cutting off quite a bit of potential use for a space imo.

wildbillhiccup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -78
  • JACKASS
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2023, 06:24:34 AM »
Fences up. Shit over.

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2023, 06:29:24 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Jane Jacobs didn't argue against the existence of urban green spaces, just that they need to match the urban context that surrounds them and meet the recreational needs of the community beyond aesthetics and that an uncritical view of open space is detrimental to communities. I think there's a middle ground between "there should be no green spaces in cities" as someone in this thread argued and aggressively creating urban green spaces without concern for the other land use needs of the community. For example, there's no reason why Muni couldn't incorporate green space and plant life while still continuing to serve it's current use to skateboarders. There are tons of successful parks in places like NYC that have green space where people can lounge and hang out, play games and sports, have their dogs play, and of course serve environmental and climate purposes, while also having concrete areas that people like skateboarders/basketball players/etc. use. The goal is multi-use public spaces and if you're not including green space you're actually cutting off quite a bit of potential use for a space imo.

i don’t think you comprehend how much the political arm of philadelphia resents it’s citizens.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2023, 07:10:20 AM »
do not go to shakespeare. go to cecil b

dannyprovolone

« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2023, 08:25:45 AM »
some strange takes in here.....the ice tea and hoagie you bought at wawa is not "tourism dollars"

wildbillhiccup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -78
  • JACKASS
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2023, 08:26:18 AM »

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 342
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2023, 08:31:42 AM »
some strange takes in here.....the ice tea and hoagie you bought at wawa is not "tourism dollars"
much less "millions of tourist dollars"
Skaters coming to the city are crashing on friends' floors, not getting a room at the 4 Seasons (or even holiday inn)

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -200
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2023, 09:36:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

i don’t think you comprehend how much the political arm of philadelphia resents it’s citizens.

Philadelphia politics has historically been Democrat politicians who eventually end up behind bars.

The city’s been completely blue since 1960 and has had about 16 politicians from Congress to City Council end up serving prison terms since 1976.

https://www.inquirer.com/politics/philadelphia/philadelphia-corruption-politicians-hall-of-shame-20220120.html?outputType=amp
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 299
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2023, 12:08:35 PM »

What do you have against shakespeare? That spot is fun. Are you trying to not let it get blown out?

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

cky enthusiast

« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2023, 12:42:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What do you have against shakespeare? That spot is fun. Are you trying to not let it get blown out?

i dont want it 2 get mobbed, my boy popped all the stoppers off and we moved the planters when they installed them

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2023, 11:57:57 AM »

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2023, 12:09:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Philadelphia politics has historically been Democrat politicians who eventually end up behind bars.

The city’s been completely blue since 1960 and has had about 16 politicians from Congress to City Council end up serving prison terms since 1976.

https://www.inquirer.com/politics/philadelphia/philadelphia-corruption-politicians-hall-of-shame-20220120.html?outputType=amp

i don’t take you for a david oh guy. more of a jeff brown head?

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -200
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2023, 12:29:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

i don’t take you for a david oh guy. more of a jeff brown head?

Jeff Brown seemed cool. I liked that he was an outsider, but I didn’t know how that would equate to policy.

I actually think Cherelle Parker’s got it and I’m not mad.

David Oh was public enemy #1 for skateboarders in Love Park. He was behind some big anti skateboarding bills downtown.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion