Author Topic: Help with MK1  (Read 345 times)

curb_cut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 5
Help with MK1
« on: May 16, 2023, 12:17:44 PM »
Shalom mates. So I had the misfortune of losing my Century MK1 (that I had just replaced the front element to :-\ ) since my fried ass left my camera bag at a spot. Still have my camera luckily because i was holding it when I left said spot

So anyways a homie ended up giving me an old thrashed MK1 so I could throw my old front element in it. Problem was the retaining ring that you unscrew to replace it wouldn't budge. I tried numerous methods to try to get it out, even brought the proper spanner tool  for lens repair and everything but the ring just wouldn't move. Century, nor the fisheye resellers on IG had any suggestions for me.

I decided to just say fuck it and ended up drilling 4 holes into the ring like a compass and prying the quartered pieces out and fucked up the threads in certain spots in the process.

Now at this point, what's the best way to go about getting my old front element back in there securely? I've already tried to search for threaded rings about the size (108mm if I remember correctly.) But even if I could get a ring the threads are definitely jacked in some spots. I've thought about going to a machinist but have zero knowledge on that type of stuff.

So if anyone has any suggestions or ideas I'm open ears to anything. Attached some photos so you can see what im working with

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
Re: Help with MK1
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2023, 01:17:26 PM »
Probably wouldn’t work but maybe try teflon tape since you don’t have many options. I’ve used that on my truck axles when the nuts were stripped. It filled in the space/ rethreaded and held the bolts on for months.

donkey

• Rep: -66
  • donk
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2023, 11:17:06 AM »
I also have had this issue before but good for you for actually getting the ring off! That's crazy. I dont even have anything to offer I'm just surprised that you were able to get it off with such brute force, i couldn't bring myself to do that to mine. I would also try teflon tape, or if you dont care about getting your front element off later just expoxy that sucker in there

curb_cut

• Rep: 5
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2023, 12:18:43 PM »
Haha thanks, I actually already got my hands on a another lens. But i want to put my old dinked up but useable front element in the wrecked one to have a backup or for filming fuck around stuff I guess.

I was thinking about going the epoxy route but Ive read that fumes from epoxy/glue can fog up the glass so thats my main concern.

I dont think teflon tape will do me any good since the retaining ring is in several bent up peices. Maybe if there’s something similar to epoxy but that wouldnt produce fumes?

allenalexander

• Rep: 2
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2023, 03:14:58 PM »
Maybe JB Weld instead of epoxy.