Author Topic: Best you’ve seen skate  (Read 6120 times)

fineslime

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
  • downward is heavenward
Re: Best you’ve seen skate
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2023, 10:30:11 AM »
Luan at Tampa Pro. He is the most consistent professional I've ever seen.

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2023, 10:40:37 AM »
Pat Channita in his prime was a site to see in person. So consistent on flatbanks, hips, and going over pyramids. I swear I'd seen him have flawless sessions where he would land every single trick he tried.

Oaf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 16
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2023, 03:11:53 PM »
Keegan Sauder is the best I’ve seen.  I haven’t seen anyone else of note, but there we go.  He rips.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2023, 03:30:51 PM »
Dennis Durrant skates with a lot of power and in person, it's really impressive. Leo does the same

Seeing Carlos Ribiero skate in person is wild, he lands every trick and will hold every trick he does on a rail or ledge for the entirety of the obstacle super effortlessly

Watching Chris Colbourn skate in person is wild too. He'll be flying around a park doing super hard tricks and it looks like he's just cruising around effortlessly having fun. Dude seems to be able to skate anything

Cool to see Dennis Durrant mentioned so early in here because he was the first person that I thought of too! To be honest I've probably seen better skating, but I don't know, there was just something about the chill power he had. Also, just doing weird tricks every go, like long switch feebles. He's definitely impressive.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2023, 03:34:41 PM »
Jereme Rogers, he was no joke. im being serious

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -377
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2023, 03:41:09 PM »
PJ Ladd

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -200
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2023, 03:48:12 PM »
PJ Ladd

I saw PJ Ladd at Love one night back in ‘01 and he didn’t miss a trick.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2023, 04:22:30 PM »
Gideon Choi went to my college and I skated with him a few times, he was really rad. Lincoln Ueda at the Block was pretty sick. Dude was going so high. But Penny in 95 was the most insane.

Shalom Peterson

• Rep: 21
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2023, 04:22:52 PM »
I got to see GT skate at a Volcom Demo in ATL in like 2017. Old Fourth Ward skatepark (same one that recently held Tom Taylor's memorial jam). It was fucking insane. I've never heard trucks grind that loud before. He made insane tricks look so easy and effortless all while going Mach ten.

Zion at Lot 11 in Miami in late 2019, Ishod at any Tampa Pro ('18 was my favorite in particular) or Pedro Delfino during his Antihero days at Ramp 48 in FTL would be my honorable mentions.

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 56
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2023, 05:12:38 PM »
I got to see GT skate at a Volcom Demo in ATL in like 2017. Old Fourth Ward skatepark (same one that recently held Tom Taylor's memorial jam). It was fucking insane. I've never heard trucks grind that loud before. He made insane tricks look so easy and effortless all while going Mach ten.

Has to be GT. Saw him skate at a mini ramp demo on a UK thrasher tour in 2014, I've seen countless people/pros shred that ramp but whatever Grant did was just different

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2023, 07:44:06 PM »
Demo: Matt Hensley (Shackle Me Not era).
Mastery at a single spot: Willy Santos at Webb Park.
Wild in the streets: Mark Gonzales
Filming video part: Sean Sheffey (Life era)
Vert session: Brian Howard (ASR trade show)
Vert contest: Birdman's "perfect" run
Nicest guy at a spot: Robbie McKinley (everywhere I've run into him)
Low effort tech: Markus Wyndham (filming for PE video)
Wall rides: Tim Jackson at Venice Beach
Best natural style: Holmes (vert); Carroll (street and vert)

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2023, 07:57:12 PM »
like, 99% of the pros i've skated with are just so so much better than you think they'll be.

I was skating with friends one time, and some dudes from etnies came into the park. they were all hungover as hell from some party at soletech the night before, and they were STILL so much better than us. it was wild to see in person

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

SubCurban Commando

• Rep: 16
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2023, 08:47:18 PM »
Top 5 - GT, Rattray, Wainwright, Gershon, McCrank
Honourable mentions - Barley, Sheffey, Rowley, Vaughan Baker, Matt Davies, Josh Perrett, Dave Mackey

You really do have to see the top 5 in person to realise just how good they are, GT you get a fair idea from videos, just nuts to see in person but the other 4 all did loads of mad shit you'd never see in videos and basically just don't slam very often at all.

biggums mcgee

• Rep: 14
« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2023, 10:02:18 PM »
Jimmy Macdonald trying to ride straight up the wallride at Brooklyn banks, pop a backside 360 kickflip and land back on the wall

Halloween 2008.

Was being filmed, didn't stick it but got super close several times. That shit still blows my mind

AitchBeeGayBuh

• Rep: 58
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2023, 12:56:15 AM »
Right after real sorry came out, I was at the Santa Monica gaps and ledges and PJ Ladd came by himself. We sessioned for about an hour where he didn’t miss anything, I was landing tricks, and we didn’t say a single word to one another until I landed a move after him and he said, “we just did doubles”.

Watched Luan pull up, film a line for extremely sorry and a throwaway line in about 5 minutes then leave because sprinklers turned on…the line where he 360 flip noseslides the table off a bump.

Just over the years watching him in parks and spots while he was growing up - Franky villani.

There was a local guy from around here that was real good that I’ll throw out there… Gonzo Hernandez.

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2023, 02:47:04 AM »
Said it before but Jeremy wray when he did the fs flip down cbad gap.
The most influential was Ronnie Bertino fucking around in a parking lot behind the local. He did a nosegrind to fakie the hard way on a waist high wall.

justpassingthrough

• Rep: 15
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2023, 08:03:08 AM »
This is going to reflect how old I am but Phil Shao. Had a ramp at my house when I was young and he was over at my house at least a few times a week. I have tons of old pics and video that I would share but I can't upload anything here for some reason.  Anyways hands down the most impressive skateboarder I've seen in person.  He could probably have filmed a legit part in under a month.

Bitchardo Scantron

• Rep: -92
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2023, 08:22:28 AM »
This is a really tough question, but I think I have to go with Silas Baxter-Neal

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2023, 08:50:22 AM »
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 496
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2023, 09:28:15 AM »
Pretty easy - it’s Ishod. He’s incredible. He’s probably the best skateboarder to ever live. He does it all and he doesn’t stop.

Sleeper mention I’ve seen Tore Bevivino from the sabotage videos skate a couple times like over 10 years ago and I just watched didn’t even skate because I couldn’t believe someone would be that good.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 12:34:46 PM by Bristol_Palin »

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2023, 09:43:31 AM »
kb

kookdusoleil

• Rep: 37
  • Have fun out there
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2023, 02:00:28 PM »
Pretty random, but first name I thought of was Matt Brode. He was at 3rd and Army for some reason and just landed everything first try going super fast. Halfcab nose nollie heel out every single try. RIP

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 289
« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2023, 02:17:59 PM »
Id have to say Mason Silva

wax poetic

• Rep: 40
  • fuck it, I'll stir the pot
« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2023, 02:22:49 PM »
This is difficult to say just one as I've seen a lot over the years but I have to say Ronnie Creager!  I have demo footy that I never edited or posted anywhere from years ago and he went straight out from start to finish landing everything so clean.  It was unreal.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2023, 02:30:12 PM »
This is difficult to say just one as I've seen a lot over the years but I have to say Ronnie Creager!  I have demo footy that I never edited or posted anywhere from years ago and he went straight out from start to finish landing everything so clean.  It was unreal.

Please post that up if you can! Creager is so good.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

wax poetic

• Rep: 40
  • fuck it, I'll stir the pot
« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2023, 02:44:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Please post that up if you can! Creager is so good.

I need to get something to play those old tapes on so I can go through them.   Weiss actually had asked me for it a few years back and I totally just spaced it because of moving and having to have my mom ship my boxes across country.  I'll try to find a way to go through those at some point and will release footy here when I do.

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65249
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2023, 02:55:14 PM »
Creager was incredible indeed.

Only Salabanzi was more impressive irl.

Special shout out to Penny, most times I saw him irl he barely skated, but one time in Germany he showed up, bailed everything for 5 minutes then did trick after trick perfectly executed, for about 10 minutes and left the arena again.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2023, 03:14:19 PM »
Pretty random, but first name I thought of was Matt Brode. He was at 3rd and Army for some reason and just landed everything first try going super fast. Halfcab nose nollie heel out every single try. RIP
Super hard agree on Matt. I loved skating Memorial with him because he would be chipping away at some crazy stuff and would just keep at it. I saw him do a switch frontside flip to 5-0 frontside flip out on the curved hubba there. Just bonkers good and a humble 100% skate rat. RIP.

As far as pros, seeing Rodrigo TX skate in person was mind blowing.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #88 on: May 20, 2023, 03:20:12 PM »
Pretty easy - it’s Ishod. He’s incredible. He’s probably the best skateboarder to ever live. He does it all and he doesn’t stop.

Sleeper mention I’ve seen Tore Bevivino from the sabotage videos skate a couple times like over 10 years ago and I just watched didn’t even skate because I couldn’t believe someone would be that good.

So every comp he's ever in the commentators are like, "holy fuckin' shit you should've seen Ishod in practice for the last 5 hours" - has anyone ever filmed this? Obviously it's just skatepark footage, but I'd like to see it.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2023, 03:43:52 PM »
Creager was incredible indeed.

Only Salabanzi was more impressive irl.

Special shout out to Penny, most times I saw him irl he barely skated, but one time in Germany he showed up, bailed everything for 5 minutes then did trick after trick perfectly executed, for about 10 minutes and left the arena again.

I saw Penny at the Radlands comp. in 96’. He barely skated for two days. Didn’t qualify and didn’t break a sweat. Then, during the break after the street contest and before the vert contest, he unleashed over the pyramid and that is what you see in Europe 96’ 411.

Best display was Muska at the Brooklyn Banks 9 stair rail. He ran all his tricks first try multiple times to warm his legs up. Prime ‘handrails? Oh shit how big?’ Era.