Author Topic: WILL A.I. TAKE OVER YOUR JOB?  (Read 3214 times)

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1080
    • My Wife avatar image
WILL A.I. TAKE OVER YOUR JOB?
« on: May 19, 2023, 03:04:06 AM »
Why or why not? Maybe it has already and you had to shift gears?

One big point of contention that incited the big writer's strike going on with the WGA right now is that writers are concerned that movie studios will utilize artificial intelligence to begin churning out scripts. And after hearing how much of a banger that completely A.I.-created version of a Weeknd/Drake song is, my eyes are completely open to the possibilities. Does it lack a little bit of humanity? Yes. But it is a Weeknd/Drake song after all, so that is par for the course.

I've read accounts of artists and graphic designers who are finding it difficult to secure work because when you can plug in metrics in a program to spit out a vivid drawing of Snoop Dogg as a pirate, you kind of don't need someone to scribble up your album cover.

As far as my own livelihood is concerned, the tech company I recently began working for has been making a HEAVY push to digitize our many, many files, scan through the documents with artificial intelligence and create a tree that will theoretically capture the analysis that myself and other analysts try to summarize on a daily basis as the bulk responsibilty of our job, and make it readily available to our clients.

It seems like aspects of my job still require human interpretation as it deals with applying ever-changing laws to decades old contracts...but my immediate bosses have privately expressed concern to us that our dept may be eventually phased out as this technology heads forward. They're speculating a 5-10 year time frame for this to occur.

Personally, Idgaf as this not my dream job and I am working on my golden parachute, planning for it to deploy before then (I'm 38 and have a burgeoning career as a professional skateboarder).

But this is how I currently pay the bills and I would be lying if I said it's not a little bit concerning.

So what about you?

Are you concerned as well? Do you see the impending doom of being phased out on the horizon?

Were you a warehouse worker or a grocery store cashier and you have already been hit with reality?

Or maybe you are not worried at all? Maybe you have some kush job putting your feet up on your desk, smoking mushrooms and drinking iced mochas all day, in the sales dept of your wealthy uncle's A.I. technology production company and you've got it made, ready to go all full-Skynet on the rest of us? I wanna hear from you as well...
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

whale

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
Re: WILL A.I. TAKE OVER YOUR JOB?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2023, 04:07:58 AM »
Most likely

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2023, 05:11:27 AM »
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2023, 05:21:37 AM »
my job is basically hiking so i think i'm good

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2023, 05:46:04 AM »
Unlikely. I believe humans are sufficiently flawed that we are incapable of designing a perfect AI system. Alternatively, if the AI system was capable of learning and improving itself unchecked, it would have already checkmated us. But then again, I’m actively hoping for human extinction, so I’m probably not the person to ask.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2023, 06:10:06 AM »
Hmmmm maybe indirectly.
Millions of people get replaced by AI and have to take dummy manual labouring jobs making more competition for me.
But then also nobody needs manual labourers anymore because they have no money for luxuries like landscaping etc

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2023, 06:27:44 AM »
Most people who work in tech will see their job replaced or significantly augmented by AI in the next 10-20 years. Multiple vendors (including Microsoft/ChatGPT) have, in the past few months, unveiled various AIs which do my job. I’m not worried immediately but I am concerned that my field will be the tip of the spear.

All the Twitter/Reddit stemlords who mocked low wage and blue collar workers by saying that they could be replaced by robots will ironically find themselves out of work long before anyone develops a viable robotic plumber, bartender, chef, etc. 
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2023, 06:33:09 AM »
I also want to add that automation (not necessarily AI) has already replaced tens of millions of human workers by now. A piece of software like Excel does what a whole floor of an office used to do, so there’s a sense by which none of this is new.

The issue now is that no one really thinks that there is enough juice left in the economy to absorb the sort of layoffs that could happen if Microsoft and Google are able to get AI to write working binary code at a production level. 

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2023, 06:37:03 AM »
Robots could likely one day replace construction-related manufacturing workers, but I highly doubt they’ll replace on site construction workers anytime soon.  So I’d like to think I’m safe as long as my body’s good.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2023, 06:56:41 AM »
Robots could likely one day replace construction-related manufacturing workers, but I highly doubt they’ll replace on site construction workers anytime soon.  So I’d like to think I’m safe as long as my body’s good.
It'll just be some son of some rich asshole popping together pre made modules in their giant mech suit. A whole hospital will turn up on the back of a truck and some Gundam will pop it together like Lego in a day.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2023, 07:02:20 AM »
@manysnakes it's definitely a scary time to be in tech. at my company we essentially rent out development teams and our profit is proportionate to how big those teams are under the current model. those teams already today can be smaller. in 5 years who knows. it's got me rethinking our business model and my overall career path. i'm seriously tempted to open a coffee shop while i still have the revenue to support getting funded for something like that. definitely feel the need to diversify. but even a coffee shop. if tech workers are going away then who's working in coffee shops?

Jawn Gyatti

• Rep: 6
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2023, 07:09:36 AM »
I honestly would love if AI took my damn job away. Its just too bad there won't be UBI to replace the pay for everyone who's going to be fighting for whatever jobs remain.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2023, 07:33:55 AM »
@manysnakes it's definitely a scary time to be in tech. at my company we essentially rent out development teams and our profit is proportionate to how big those teams are under the current model. those teams already today can be smaller. in 5 years who knows. it's got me rethinking our business model and my overall career path. i'm seriously tempted to open a coffee shop while i still have the revenue to support getting funded for something like that. definitely feel the need to diversify. but even a coffee shop. if tech workers are going away then who's working in coffee shops?

Indeed. On our current path, we are headed towards a collapse in commercial the real estate market, which doesn't bode well for our recently "revitalized" city centers and the coffee shops, restaurants, boutiques, etc. who fill the streets. My friends who live out in the islands and small towns around Seattle (Whidbey, San Juans, Bellingham etc.) have seen their home prices triple or even quadruple since Covid, which suggests to me that the permanent WFH model is fueling an exodus from a lot of city centers towards small towns on the periphery. I don't know if this is a long term trend; maybe the shakeout has already happened. Of course, there are plenty of little coffee shops and restaurants out in these places, and they seem to be doing quite well.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2023, 07:37:19 AM »
I run two housing programs for homeless youth and I hope AI will replace me. I'm fucking over it. I have enough skateboards to get me through to old age anyway. Just need taco money.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 07:44:26 AM by Frank and Fred »

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2023, 07:39:51 AM »
I honestly would love if AI took my damn job away. Its just too bad there won't be UBI to replace the pay for everyone who's going to be fighting for whatever jobs remain.

Yeah, it sucks so much that we created the post-scarcity world which Marx or Keynes dreamt of but the only thing we have been allowed to do with it is to let Elon Musk to get masculinization surgery and hair plugs.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2023, 08:18:08 AM »
There is an artistic/human element to stonemasonry and that is what wealthy people are paying for. I think it is even safe from automation. It's the oldest trade in the world. So I'm not worried about my job being taken over but I am worried about losing a big portion of my customer base because they lose their jobs.

I think the people encouraging AI must be psychopathic or something. The tech industry makes up such a huge part of the economy now and if a large portion of these people rapidly lose their jobs it's going to be catastrophic for everyone. It feels like with every technological advancement we dig ourselves further into a hole that we can't get out of.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2023, 08:31:35 AM »
I think the people encouraging AI must be psychopathic or something. The tech industry makes up such a huge part of the economy now and if a large portion of these people rapidly lose their jobs it's going to be catastrophic for everyone. It feels like with every technological advancement we dig ourselves further into a hole that we can't get out of.

(With the caveat that I am Jewish and amazingly my family mostly survived the camps) I was joking with a friend the other day that all my fellow tech workers pumping each other up for AI is like German Jews getting excited about the new pesticide Zyklon B.

Unless you're a Microsoft shareholder or you are heavily invested in a few prominent tech VCs, you don't even stand to gain from it financially. It's literally just coming to ruin your livelihood.

Sincerity

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2023, 08:36:30 AM »
With regard to white collar work, if what you do is structured like a language (for example: code, popular music, Excel tables/relational databases, written or spoken English, and so on), and there is a large enough data set for machine learning to train on to get statistically relevant results, then your role is at risk.

My role will eventually be at risk, but the data set available to train on today is too small to be worth working on. As modelling/training become less expensive, then even small, niche roles like mine will be forced to change.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2023, 08:52:27 AM »
I work with my hands 80% of the time. No bot is gonna be changing out turbo pumps and getting dewars of helium any time soon.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2023, 09:34:51 AM »
For the record, I am super cynical of AI. It super concerning that there is no wider ethical/ philosophical discussion on whether us plebs really want to go in this direction at all. It all seems way out of out control and is coming whether we like it or not.

Paging all the Luddites...

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1080
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2023, 09:44:45 AM »
I work with my hands 80% of the time. No bot is gonna be changing out turbo pumps and getting dewars of helium any time soon.

Like a 1920s worker...
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2023, 10:10:07 AM »
I am a teacher. Technically I could be replaced by AI, but I am hopeful humanity isn‘t that stupid. If AI teaches the kids, how can they ever learn to do that what AI cannot do? Also, uh, humans need other humans to become a properly socialized beings that‘s obvious to everyone at least I hope it us.

Of course AI is scary, but I also think people overestimate it. Human needs are fairly basic and AI is not really gonna help you with your relationship problems, existential fears or emotional insecurities.

In a Post AI World (unless someone really fucks up and causes a disaster) there are still going to be the same basic human struggles about power and money. Unchecked AI will be an extension of corporate power or state power, but we need to think more about how technology can improve life for everyone. Like other technologies it will make a lot of parts of our life more effective and more productive and I fear it will mostly serve those already in power.

What I want to know is when am I finally going to be able to work less and make more money thanks to all this fancy new shit?

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2023, 10:26:12 AM »
What I want to know is when am I finally going to be able to work less and make more money thanks to all this fancy new shit?

Oh, my sweet summer child.

newguy

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2023, 10:42:18 AM »
I'm a future 3D animator/lighting/shading artist in training and I can tell you that the AI scare is already over for us because AI art is immediately obvious and utterly shit, no sense of composition, no sense of style, completely soulless smooth airbrushy shit that is bland to look at and uninspiring. Sure we use it from time to time but mostly for our own amusement, kind of like throwing peanuts at a monkey at the zoo.

I'm actually amazed people think AI is going to replace their jobs when its barely capable of making a convincing drawing of cartoon mickey mouse hands. Realy, when it comes to creative fields AI is far more A than I, the people behind these stupid doodads are trying their hardest to keep their little MLM marketing schemes alive but the studios and more importantly the consumers who watch what we animate and create aren't buying because it looks terrible[/b].

So no, I'm not concerned. Human creativity can't be condensed to a stupid program just like how trades can't be replaced by house printing contraptions and other hateful anti-worker bullshit.

newguy

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2023, 10:50:46 AM »

Honestly i've seen so many tech people openly call out for creatives to be automated out  that I wouldn't give a shit if they fell victim to their own work. I also strongly suspect this whole automatisation hype doing the rounds is consent manufacturing to pressure workers to get back in line now that unions are getting more and more popular across the west. Nothing like a little scare campaign to get those rowdy poors back where they belong, eh?

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2023, 10:55:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Oh, my sweet summer child.

I know.

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2023, 11:50:40 AM »
I'm currently training AI to do my job. I'm screwed.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Jawn Gyatti

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2023, 12:26:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, it sucks so much that we created the post-scarcity world which Marx or Keynes dreamt of but the only thing we have been allowed to do with it is to let Elon Musk to get masculinization surgery and hair plugs.

Lmfao. Elon Musk seems like some kind of punishment for all of the mistakes mankind has made and it just keeps getting progressively worse...

sle_epy

• Rep: -82
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2023, 01:25:56 PM »
Not unless it can do custom finish work in 200 year old homes.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy