Author Topic: WILL A.I. TAKE OVER YOUR JOB?  (Read 3213 times)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
Re: WILL A.I. TAKE OVER YOUR JOB?
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2023, 02:26:04 PM »
Ai is a tool. Like a hammer is . Keep it open to everyone and I don’t see it as a problem. Close that shit up and only let billionaires and corporations and the so called government to have it then yeah we are fucked.

Who do you think owns this technology?
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Mr. Pickles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2023, 02:31:39 PM »
The unknown future rolls toward us. I face it, for the first time, with a sense of hope. Because if a machine, a Terminator, can learn the value of human life, maybe we can too.

Chavo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2023, 07:09:45 PM »
I'm a judicial branch paper pusher. Almost all of our jobs should have been automated decades ago, instead, we finally acquired in 2021, after a hundred million dollars, a database with graphic user interface. We're also cheaper than AI.

numagik

• Rep: 35
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2023, 07:15:24 PM »
it's funny how you really can't have this conversation for long until it leads to the realization that the problem is less with AI and more with the current structure of our world. people losing their jobs is a snowball effect. the chef whose job may not be replaceable becomes obsolete when his customers lose theirs. at that point, this little dance we're all doing is shown for what it is; ugly and unnecessary.

newguy

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2023, 07:27:04 PM »
Ai is a tool. Like a hammer is . Keep it open to everyone and I don’t see it as a problem. Close that shit up and only let billionaires and corporations and the so called government to have it then yeah we are fucked.

i have bad news…

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 367
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2023, 09:49:44 PM »
I think people overestimate how proficient AI is right now.  It's pretty crazy that it can pass the interview exam for a FAANG software developer.  I don't program, but if you give me access to StackOverflow and Github, I could pass it as well.

For now, it's just a really good tool(for most things).  I don't see it seriously impacting the job market right now, but in 5-10 years it might be.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2023, 03:45:03 PM »
The stuff I’ve heard or read recently from people in the field of AI development is pretty scary because even they are surprised about the rate of progress within the last 6 months. It doesn’t seem like many of them expected to be where we are today for another few years. The idea that the people developing this shit think we may have already reached an inflection point - but they can’t say for sure - is disconcerting.

It does seem that progress is not linear, so the fact that it took X many years to reach this point is not indicative of how long it will take to reach the next milestones.

I think a lot of jobs are in danger and because loss of those jobs will reduce overall demand, there could be trickle down effects to jobs like construction that would appear safe. Out of work programmers don’t get bathrooms remodeled, fewer office buildings being built, etc. 

In a worse case scenario I can see Europe doing more to rebalance society with a UBI or something (although the EU as an organization would be on thin ice because countries will probably focus on themselves). America won’t agree on what to do and the financial victors will reap all the spoils.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2023, 09:06:13 PM »
Not mine… we will need more people doing my jobs as AI gains prevalence.

An old buddy of mine is an engineer and project manager for an AI startup that recently sold for some pretty crazy loot. This dude got like 500k and more in options with the sale on top of a wild salary. Anyways, he hates it the technology. Dude knows the ins and outs as they currently stand and feels that while the technology could do good things, its most likely going to be used in a manner that harms regular folks, jobs, autonomy, and the like for the sake of profit. Hearing it from him, it leaves me feeling its not a good scene
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2023, 09:57:11 PM »
In the future will things start getting labelled as like a human only business. Like there will be a special stamp on products or sign on business windows like no robots or ai labour here.

Will we maybe even get some kind of Amish 2.0?

newguy

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2023, 05:41:04 AM »
Not mine… we will need more people doing my jobs as AI gains prevalence.

An old buddy of mine is an engineer and project manager for an AI startup that recently sold for some pretty crazy loot. This dude got like 500k and more in options with the sale on top of a wild salary. Anyways, he hates it the technology. Dude knows the ins and outs as they currently stand and feels that while the technology could do good things, its most likely going to be used in a manner that harms regular folks, jobs, autonomy, and the like for the sake of profit. Hearing it from him, it leaves me feeling its not a good scene

and yet he still works for the company? lol.

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 105
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2023, 01:30:11 AM »
The unknown future rolls toward us. I face it, for the first time, with a sense of hope. Because if a machine, a Terminator, can learn the value of human life, maybe we can too.

A storm is coming.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2023, 02:43:31 AM »
I think people overestimate how proficient AI is right now.  It's pretty crazy that it can pass the interview exam for a FAANG software developer.  I don't program, but if you give me access to StackOverflow and Github, I could pass it as well.

For now, it's just a really good tool(for most things).  I don't see it seriously impacting the job market right now, but in 5-10 years it might be.

Remember self driving cars? They've got the basics down pretty fast, but the finer details elude them to this day.

I am not worried by AI replacing software engineers - as soon as something breaks/doesn't work as intended, you need to understand the code in fine detail to fix it. And that takes time.

However, AI can and should replace the writing staff at Cosmpolitan and similar mindless publications.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2023, 03:35:45 AM »
Most probably … hopefully I can wing it for another 16 years though

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2023, 04:23:29 AM »
WILL.I.AM. TAKE OVER YOUR JOB?

DirtyCheddarKids

• Rep: 40
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2023, 11:01:17 PM »
There’s not much to worry about in my opinion. I work within the tech sector as I run a digital product studio and yes, I’m already using certain technologies in my day to day.

But as others have mentioned, it’s like working with a slow intern – it’s good for basic, common cases, but not very useful when things get tricky and I believe getting to that point will take quite a while. And even then it might just be another tool I will use in my job.

I wish it would be that simple that AI will take away jobs and a UBI will give everyone time, safety, and freedom to do more meaningful things with their life, but that’s just not how it works. It’s not like there are less jobs now than there were before the Industrial Revolution, which had a similar promise of machines taking over human jobs, right? Jobs will be transformed, some jobs will get extinct, but new ones will be created.
Quote from: Uncle Flea
4 shoes is impressive AF. I could barely sell drugs.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2023, 02:00:55 AM »
I'm a freelance translator, been working in subtitling and dubbing for 20 years.... My job is doomed.   :-X

We used to make fun of machine translation but no more.

I'm already in the process of recruitment for a new job. It's gonna be hard to adapt to having a boss and all, after over 20 years of freelance freedom but some stability will be nice to end my career....

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2023, 02:12:14 AM »
I've transitioned from freelance translation 10 years ago ... the pay was meager and work way too sporadic. I'm guessing EU institutions will still need actual translators and others proofreaders, but the rates will dwindle to peanuts.

Isn't it funny how office workers are working to destroy their own jobs, while there is a massive shortage of blue collar workers everywhere. Time to learn a profession.

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2023, 04:07:16 AM »
There still is a demand for language teachers here, like most people want an actual teacher not an online course. Probably would be an easy transition if you worked in translation.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2023, 05:01:53 AM »
I've transitioned from freelance translation 10 years ago ... the pay was meager and work way too sporadic. I'm guessing EU institutions will still need actual translators and others proofreaders, but the rates will dwindle to peanuts.

Isn't it funny how office workers are working to destroy their own jobs, while there is a massive shortage of blue collar workers everywhere. Time to learn a profession.

yeah I've seen rates go down over the years... Luckily I get royalties every time a show I have translated is broadcast on TV, that's what saved my niche.

->Siota: yup becoming an English teacher is definitely my back-up plan in case I don't land the job I'm aiming for now! Not sure I'd make a good teacher though. So I'd rather keep on translating, but no more freelance shit...I wanna be a cog in the machine haha

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2023, 08:06:56 AM »
^Good luck frenchie, you got this!

I just started a new job producing various kinds of written content, knowing full well AI will do that sooner rather than later. So yes, AI will most definitely take over my job, but I personally am not at all worried, for many reasons. One is that right now, the content ChatGPT produces still needs to be refined by a human who knows what they are doing. Otherwise it'll be so freaking bland even the normiest of normies will fall asleep reading it, and the result oftentimes contains stuff that's out of place, inappropriate or flat-out wrong. What I find it most useful for as of today is to provide inspiration. I've been overcoming bouts of listlessness much faster ever since I can ask AI for 10 more ideas. And 10 more. And 10 more...
So I fully agree that right now it's simply a tool that needs human supervision to successfully perform even basic tasks. Whoever came up with the "slow intern" analogy was spot on. As of now, the risk of AI fucking up big time is way too fucking high to let it just do its thing unsupervised. From what I hear that's supposed to change soon, but I'm by no means in the weeds enough to predict when exactly that's supposed to happen. The good thing is I'm technically employed as a content manager, so I'll seamlessly transfer from producing content myself to managing content produced by AI. I'm sure that'll be fine and AI will never replace project managers...

Jokes aside, I've worked in enough completely different fields already to not be scared of changing things up a couple more times. From my personal experience, the technical/specialized aspects of the vast majority of office jobs can be picked up incredibly quickly if you happen to have a certain combination of personality traits and some general education, which I'm lucky enough to have. So as long as there are any white collar work environments, I'm confident I'll find a place to do my thing, which is mainly get along well with virtually everybody and say some pseudo-insightful things just often enough to come across as productive and dedicated. Little do they know I spend more time on Slap than in the Google doc. If AI ever uncovers that, I'll be well and truly fucked.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2023, 10:02:05 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maAFcEU6atk

Holy crap, we truly are living in the age of celery man
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 472
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2023, 10:07:17 AM »
The only saving grace is that we need to keep jobs because you can't advertise to AI to buy dumb shit

FranklinSt4Ever

• Rep: 5
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2023, 10:44:59 AM »
I'm a lawyer working in a finance related practice. At my firm we're starting to use AI to run a rough first draft of documents for common financing structures. It will still require oversight by lawyers, but it will probably shrink the ranks of paralegals even further.

poopnutsupreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2023, 02:44:56 PM »
Figured this is the best place for my chatgpt rambling and shit. I’ve been ramping up on it for the past two weeks as I’m doing interviews and get back into building stuff. The capabilities is pretty fucking insane. I’m less worried about it taking jobs and more worried about spreading misinformation and stuff.

With pretty easy integration, you can have it spewing out complete bullshit propaganda that can easily convince people. With AI voices of people starting too, people can easily get swatted and telling what’s real and fake with audio is going to become nearly impossible.

In terms of cyber warfare and scamming people, it could get real scary real fast.
Any dude that hates on roller hockey hasn't played, and likely haven't played a sport in their entire life.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2023, 03:04:46 PM »
Figured this is the best place for my chatgpt rambling and shit. I’ve been ramping up on it for the past two weeks as I’m doing interviews and get back into building stuff. The capabilities is pretty fucking insane. I’m less worried about it taking jobs and more worried about spreading misinformation and stuff.

With pretty easy integration, you can have it spewing out complete bullshit propaganda that can easily convince people. With AI voices of people starting too, people can easily get swatted and telling what’s real and fake with audio is going to become nearly impossible.

In terms of cyber warfare and scamming people, it could get real scary real fast.

Thats maybe the scariest part imo. Every generation of industrial shift displaces folks, but after what we have seen people believe over the past few years, your spot on.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

newguy

« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2023, 04:42:06 PM »

not looking forward to automated bigotry

4LOM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2023, 07:46:30 PM »

After AI controls all content for whatever unimaginable end, we’ll all be nostalgic of bad human actors spreading misinformation for an imaginable end

Bill Salt

« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2023, 03:31:49 AM »
my job is basically hiking so i think i'm good
lucky you

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2023, 02:44:55 PM »
Do you think there are other planets out there that are creating, or have created, AI?  Would it be the same as the AI we are making, or is it different?  Does AI reflect the society that birthed it or is it an independent life form that would have similar characteristics no matter who made it?

Summarily, would the AI on our planet be similar to the AI some distant civilization would make? 
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Bill Salt

« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2023, 01:07:03 AM »
I am a cartoonist working the une animation industry.Yeah AI  may take over our jobs but I will strike back and take AI's job by drawing extras fingers on my characters.