Author Topic: Does Tom Penny really has a magnum opus part???  (Read 7140 times)

Badmeaningood

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 25
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Does Tom Penny really has a magnum opus part???
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2023, 07:56:16 AM »
Keith Hufnagel tre flipped it during the DC Europe Super Tour in like 1996 or so.

I would say pure based on the fact that you more often see a frontside flip over a gap or  down some stairs than 3 flips, the tre would be more difficult.

That is pure objectively speaking, if we take into account who did what trick, well.... No contest.

Not in my opinion. It's not a normal frontside flip we're talking about but alley-oop - so he's essentially going 270, the hard way. A tre is relatively straightforward in comparison.

AdditionalSlip

• Rep: -27
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2023, 08:03:42 AM »
Sometimes he'll skate my local, I could watch him blast kf to fakie in the bowl for days

Trilogy

• Rep: -230
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2023, 09:51:52 AM »
I love that there is no obvious mega-calculated part from Penny, this is the magic with him. In the early 90´s skating was more fluid and not so planned out, and it feels like Penny kept this going in a time where production became bigger and people had tricks written down and everything became mega calculated.  I mean, lots of the classic Penny stuff is things that people just happend to film. Like, I regularly watch pennys flip over the hip in Radlands, some 25 years later. Its a flip. In a skatepark. That someone happend to film. And it feels like most of his stuff was a spur of the moment stuff.

Thats some magic people like Nyjah etc could never capture.

Totally!!!

Like you said, Penny was just skating and by coincidence someone was filming, not super calculated like most of this new generation obsessive corny Thrasher SOTY award seekers skateboarders.

Makes sense, because everyone knows in 1995 the most influential skateboarder was Tom Penny and not Chris Senn which Thrasher gave the award too.

But I respect Nyjah, I think he is very talented, a skate rat and really gives everything when he is skating.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2023, 10:30:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
No, he didn’t have one unless you count Menikmati. Honestly I respect the man but his refusal to put together a real part always came off as kinda lame and disrespectful. If Guy could put in the work for Mouse, Penny could have put out at least one good part. Not cool collecting big checks to barely show up.
[close]

He made every company he rode for a boatload of money. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that he made Flip and eS MORE money because of how illusive he was/is.
[close]
I never bought a thing related to him because even though I’m a fan I didn’t feel like he deserved my money.
[close]

You’re a fan but you don’t want to support him? No shade but I don’t get it
[close]
I liked his skating but I’d rather support other skaters who worked harder. Just felt rude to be like “he never cared about filming”.
[close]

This is a bit of a stretch. It's not that he didn't care about filming. He's just someone that skated regardless of whether there was a camera or chance of getting clips involved.
[close]
Isn’t this basically the same thing?

I’ll try to explain it differently. Imagine you’re a Lakers fan and you buy season tickets because you live Lebron. You attend every game. Lebron shows up every eighth or ninth game and plays amazingly. Not because he’s injured or can’t play. In fact every time you show up to a game you hear he’d actually been in the arena earlier playing, and doing the most amazing shit, sorry you missed it. Lebron loves basketball so much, but he plays whenever he feels like it, not when fans expect. Would you feel like buying tickets was a good idea?

This is a poor analogy because basketball is both a sport based on statistics/winning and publicly performative whereas skateboarding is an art form based on style and largely on spontaneity. No one who financially supported Penny specifically missed out on anything because, thankfully, there is no metric of how much one should skate or film. Plus, Penny filmed a lot, especially considering the circumstances, it’s just spread out all over the place.

Also, just generally, less is more, in my opinion.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2023, 12:01:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
No, he didn’t have one unless you count Menikmati. Honestly I respect the man but his refusal to put together a real part always came off as kinda lame and disrespectful. If Guy could put in the work for Mouse, Penny could have put out at least one good part. Not cool collecting big checks to barely show up.
[close]

He made every company he rode for a boatload of money. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that he made Flip and eS MORE money because of how illusive he was/is.
[close]
I never bought a thing related to him because even though I’m a fan I didn’t feel like he deserved my money.
[close]

[close]
I liked his skating but I’d rather support other skaters who worked harder. Just felt rude to be like “he never cared about filming”.
[close]

This is a bit of a stretch. It's not that he didn't care about filming. He's just someone that skated regardless of whether there was a camera or chance of getting clips involved.
[close]

I’ll try to explain it differently. Imagine you’re a Lakers fan and you buy season tickets because you live Lebron. You attend every game. Lebron shows up every eighth or ninth game and plays amazingly. Not because he’s injured or can’t play. In fact every time you show up to a game you hear he’d actually been in the arena earlier playing, and doing the most amazing shit, sorry you missed it. Lebron loves basketball so much, but he plays whenever he feels like it, not when fans expect. Would you feel like buying tickets was a good idea?
[close]

This is a poor analogy because basketball is both a sport based on statistics/winning and publicly performative whereas skateboarding is an art form based on style and largely on spontaneity. No one who financially supported Penny specifically missed out on anything because, thankfully, there is no metric of how much one should skate or film. Plus, Penny filmed a lot, especially considering the circumstances, it’s just spread out all over the place.

How is skateboarding an art form but not publicly performative? Yhat doesn’t make sense.

There is a metric- video parts. We hear people on here all the time saying someone’s career doesn’t count because they rarely put out parts- Luan Olivera or Rayssa Leal for instance. Or how it’s not ok that Beatrice Domond got a board without putting out a full part. Everyone is giving Penny a pass because he was a generational talent, or because it would be really sick to be so good that you don’t have to bother with hall the bullshit that lesser pros do. That’s fine. But I don’t know why I should try to convince myself that he deserves my money or that it’s really awesome that we didn’t see a ton of footage from him. That’s ridiculous. No one here actually prefers that he never put out a great part.

Trilogy

• Rep: -230
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2023, 01:09:06 PM »
Tbh I think Penny's biggest problem was he got injured around 2001 when he jumped on those S.Dali rocks, if he wasn't injured I bet his Flip part was going to be one of the best and most epic parts ever.

He was very productive in thd mid-90s and you can see footage of why we still love him today.

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2023, 02:17:41 PM »
At a demo once, a lil kid ran out from the crowd and onto the pyramid hip, just as Penny was approaching. Everyone though he was gonna cleave that wee lad in twain, but he just popped the hugest mute grab on pure reflex, and sailed over the kids head.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2023, 02:23:19 PM »
At a demo once, a lil kid ran out from the crowd and onto the pyramid hip, just as Penny was approaching. Everyone though he was gonna cleave that wee lad in twain, but he just popped the hugest mute grab on pure reflex, and sailed over the kids head.

feel like that kid would've grown up to smoke weed exclusively out of aluminum cans or something after experiencing that

Mr.Jenkins

• Rep: 156
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2023, 02:53:49 PM »

Are talking about the Really sorry premier in the Gothenburg skatepark? He didn’t mute grabed over the kid (Rasmus) but he did a fs ollie over him

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2023, 04:32:36 PM »
didn't Reynolds make his own a Penny compilation videotape that he would watch all the time? maybe that's the edit we need to see. that or an edit by MemoryScreen.

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 410

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 254
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2023, 06:55:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
How is skateboarding an art form but not publicly performative? Yhat doesn’t make sense.

There is a metric- video parts. We hear people on here all the time saying someone’s career doesn’t count because they rarely put out parts- Luan Olivera or Rayssa Leal for instance. Or how it’s not ok that Beatrice Domond got a board without putting out a full part. Everyone is giving Penny a pass because he was a generational talent, or because it would be really sick to be so good that you don’t have to bother with hall the bullshit that lesser pros do. That’s fine. But I don’t know why I should try to convince myself that he deserves my money or that it’s really awesome that we didn’t see a ton of footage from him. That’s ridiculous. No one here actually prefers that he never put out a great part.

Penny probably has more footage than Luan, Rayssa and Beatrice combined. Maybe he didn't put together a big career-defining part, but I'd MUCH rather have the footy we have of him doing what he loves than some manufactured part.

You gotta take the L when you start comparing Penny to three skaters who most people will likely forget in ten years. Talk about not making sense. 

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2023, 07:10:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

It’s not publicly performative because generally people don’t line up at an arena and pay to go watch skateboarding, and certainly not in Penny’s heyday, which is the only way professional basketball functions. 

And again, there actually is a ton of footage from him, it’s just spread out. His job was, and still is, to skate, and he does, quite a lot. You seem more upset that he was incredibly talented and didn’t really seem to care that much, which is a characteristic of a master of their craft. No one is making you support Penny, but people actively choose to, for good reason, because he’s a skateboarding deity. It’s pretty simple, just watch…literally anything he’s ever done.

goeatsomefriedbread

• Rep: 257
« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2023, 07:20:16 AM »

mattchew

• SLAP Pal

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2023, 08:06:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Penny probably has more footage than Luan, Rayssa and Beatrice combined. Maybe he didn't put together a big career-defining part, but I'd MUCH rather have the footy we have of him doing what he loves than some manufactured part.

You gotta take the L when you start comparing Penny to three skaters who most people will likely forget in ten years. Talk about not making sense.
Playing for a crowd and recording your footage to play for people to watch is the same thing. More people watch basketball on tv than they do live.

Rayssa is going to be forgotten in ten years? She’s the most talented female street skater alive and she’s fifteen. She’ll still be famous ten years from now and remembered much longer than that. You guys are being absurd. You’re now trying to tell me that intentionally filming something makes it “manufactured “. I guess you don’t like 99% of skate vids then?

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2023, 08:11:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Playing for a crowd and recording your footage to play for people to watch is the same thing. More people watch basketball on tv than they do live.

Rayssa is going to be forgotten in ten years? She’s the most talented female street skater alive and she’s fifteen. She’ll still be famous ten years from now and remembered much longer than that. You guys are being absurd. You’re now trying :-\ to tell me that intentionally filming something makes it “manufactured “. I guess you don’t like 99% of skate vids then?

lol dude tens of thousands of people watching a professional basketball game either in person or live on TV is nowhere near the same thing as a skate video part, making that comparison is what’s absurd.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2023, 08:22:44 AM »
There’s nothing absurd about it. The point is they’re both things with an audience. Skaters are expected to perform on video. How else would people who don’t skate with them judge how good they are?

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2023, 08:32:05 AM »
There’s nothing absurd about it. The point is they’re both things with an audience. Skaters are expected to perform on video. How else would people who don’t skate with them judge how good they are?

Last response because you’re just being straight obtuse at this point but professional basketball and professional skateboarding function entirely differently from one another, absolutely wild this needs to be explained, and for the millionth time, Penny filmed the exact same, if not more than his contemporaries, it was just spread out across many different video projects.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #79 on: May 24, 2023, 08:40:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Last response because you’re just being straight obtuse at this point but professional basketball and professional skateboarding function entirely differently from one another, absolutely wild this needs to be explained, and for the millionth time, Penny filmed the exact same, if not more than his contemporaries, it was just spread out across many different video projects.
Every sport or art involves people paying in some way for the people to produce. Penny did not produce on the level of his contemporaries. Are you seriously trying to argue he put out as much in the 90s as Koston, or Creager? Or Heath? No way and you have multiple people on this thread saying as much- in fact, trying to claim his scarce footage was a good thing.

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 254
« Reply #80 on: May 24, 2023, 08:48:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Rayssa is going to be forgotten in ten years? She’s the most talented female street skater alive and she’s fifteen. She’ll still be famous ten years from now and remembered much longer than that. You guys are being absurd. You’re now trying to tell me that intentionally filming something makes it “manufactured “. I guess you don’t like 99% of skate vids then?

You know what? Totally fair point on Rayssa. I'll take the L on that one.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #81 on: May 24, 2023, 08:53:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

You know what? Totally fair point on Rayssa. I'll take the L on that one.
Honestly I think it’s time I let this whole argument drop. There are probably better ways to express my disappointment Penny never put out a fully realized video part.

smellofdeath2

• Rep: 24
« Reply #82 on: May 24, 2023, 11:45:52 AM »
Apologies if it's ABP but I always liked this one from UK clothing company Dope Clothing's first video 'Time for Tea'.
Mainly filmed by Justin 'pastey' Ashby, Brighton local and pro for Iron Cross skateboards in the 80s.
He's a Flip connected guy and was often with Tom in CPH/UK

https://youtu.be/nlt6rFKFFUQ

Badmeaningood

• Rep: 25
« Reply #83 on: May 24, 2023, 12:48:31 PM »
Apologies if it's ABP but I always liked this one from UK clothing company Dope Clothing's first video 'Time for Tea'.
Mainly filmed by Justin 'pastey' Ashby, Brighton local and pro for Iron Cross skateboards in the 80s.

Always loved how he maintains the "Penny arm" even when drinking a beer!

kookdusoleil

• Rep: 37
  • Have fun out there
« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2023, 12:59:12 PM »

Cannot describe how fucked the straight nollieflip up and over the rail is. Did it like it was an ollie up a curb or something

Weededed

• Rep: 198
  • I never needed it..
« Reply #85 on: May 24, 2023, 01:25:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Just going to leave this one here. Just incase you haven't seen it.

https://youtu.be/THyo84BI_mw
[close]

Last trick Tom Penny is other worldly.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3287
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2023, 01:49:30 PM »
Is Penny the Rain Man of skateboarding?

peacepappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -96
  • tae-tae
« Reply #87 on: May 24, 2023, 02:00:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just going to leave this one here. Just incase you haven't seen it.

https://youtu.be/THyo84BI_mw
[close]

Last trick Tom Penny is other worldly.
[close]

somehow I've never seen this. Last trick is absolutely mindboggling
ohyeahohyeah

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65249
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #88 on: May 24, 2023, 02:31:58 PM »
Tbh I think Penny's biggest problem was he got injured around 2001 when he jumped on those S.Dali rocks, if he wasn't injured I bet his Flip part was going to be one of the best and most epic parts ever.

He was very productive in thd mid-90s and you can see footage of why we still love him today.

I heard this too. Iirc he jumped after an all night bender on those rocks. Magical place btw. Fits Dali equally well as Penny.

His style starting in the Sorry era was very different than in his mid 90's golden era. He still did some cool stuff but the magic was gone. I think something (drugs, alcohol or that jump) wrecked something in his body that changed his style.

For instance if you see Daewon skate now (who's even older) you won't see that much difference compared to 90's Daewon. Same for Reynolds, Koston, Creager - but not Penny.

I literally feel blessed to see him skate irl when he was at his best. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 02:40:02 PM by TheDraught »

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65249
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #89 on: May 24, 2023, 02:36:03 PM »
This is it:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ck_MnOhJT-U/?hl=en

I still wear that combo (khakis and dark green polo) to this day. Work, skating or some social event; works everytime.

Also, that footage one can never watch too often.