Author Topic: Does Tom Penny really has a magnum opus part???  (Read 7155 times)

Trilogy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -233
Does Tom Penny really has a magnum opus part???
« on: May 22, 2023, 09:11:11 AM »
He is one my favorite skaters ever and I really know all his history and importance.

Dude was years ahead everyone in the mid-90s when he arrived at California from England.

I have seen that Etnies Hi-5 part, the chain ( Rob Dyrdek commented) part and the Menikmati part ( although that was all recycled footage  ).

But I dont think he really had a really really mind-blowing magnum opus part ( I could be wrong... ).

Everything was not so video-recorded back then.

Maybe that even gives Penny more real skater mystic ( if you know what I mean ).

I wish he never jumped on those S.Dali rocks and never got injured around 2000 because I think if he didn't got injured his part in Sorrry might be his best, most legendary and closing video part like Mariano had in Mouse.

Anyway,  He is one of the best ever, untouchable and a absolute skateboarding Legend.

What you guys think??
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 09:18:49 AM by Trilogy »

JoeyButterfingers

• Rep: 0
Re: Does Tom Penny really has a magnum opus part???
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2023, 09:23:53 AM »
He is one my favorite skaters ever and I really know all his history and importance.

Dude was years ahead everyone in the mid-90s when he arrived at California from England.

I have seen that Etnies Hi-5 part, the chain ( Rob Dyrdek commented) part and the Menikmati part ( although that was all recycled footage  ).

But I dont think he really had a really really mind-blowing magnum opus part ( I could be wrong... ).

Maybe that even gives Penny more real skater mystic ( if you know what I mean ).

I wish he never junped on those S.Dali rocks and never got injured around 2000 because I think if he didn't got injured his part in Sorrry might be his best, most legendary and closing video part like Mariano had in Mouse.

Anyway,  He is one of the best ever, untouchable and a absolute skateboarding Legend.

What you guys think??

I completely understand what you mean. I hope this doesn’t come across as cliche but Penny’s magnum opus lies with Penny himself. You’ll hear stories from everyone, literally everyone about Penny. In fact, you hear them frequently a lot in the U.K. as of course, Penny is from Oxford and a lot of the legends here in the U.K. themselves grew up with Penny. I’ve luckily had the chance to film Penny a few years ago on a short lived Supra tour and I can honestly say it was mind blowing.

Seeing him operate, how he operates and how fluid he is, is a completely different level of skateboarder. He’s done a lot of skateboarding off camera and still does to this day. There’s numerous stories of him doing things off camera that were absolutely mind melting. If you look back at his mid 90’s to early 2000’s stage, he started skating vert and would often send flip nosebones and 540’s, a lot of the time padless until he ultimately put a helmet on to shoot his iconic flip nosebone.

Sorry for such a long reply, I don’t think I’ve actually got to the point I wanted to make. I guess the reply I was trying to give is that Penny simply being Penny with the skateboarding he’s done both on and off camera is his magnum opus. He might not have put it into a solid part, or parts over the years - but the fact that he’s a skate rat at heart and will continue to skate solo around his hometown, or wherever he’s currently living in the world at the time speaks volumes. Dude doesn’t need an entourage, he doesn’t need followers, filmers or photographers. More often than not, when he’s back in the U.K. he’ll just go anywhere and skate unannounced for the pure joy of it.

Tom’s magnum opus is quite literally himself and whenever he steps on his board.

A great dude to say the least.

kook1234

• Rep: 133
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2023, 09:27:15 AM »
if you are asking why come penny doesnt have a magnum opus part, you must not really be a fan of Tom Penny/his lore

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2023, 09:27:19 AM »
being really honest I do like his really sorry part A LOT, I think its the closest one to this concept but it was done "past his prime"

On the topic: I hated his part in menikmati when it came out (and I still hate it) cause its a huge let down. It would've been better to have him with a few guest tricks inside the video instead.
They made that video for years and they got Koston to skate bangkok but couldn't get Tom to film a line? come on such a big opportunity missed

Trilogy

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2023, 09:31:19 AM »
Expand Quote

I wish he never junped on those S.Dali rocks and never got injured around 2000 because I think if he didn't got injured his part in Sorrry might be his best, most legendary and closing video part like Mariano had in Mouse.

What you guys think??
[close]

I completely understand what you mean. I hope this doesn’t come across as cliche but Penny’s magnum opus lies with Penny himself. You’ll hear stories from everyone, literally everyone about Penny. In fact, you hear them frequently a lot in the U.K. as of course, Penny is from Oxford and a lot of the legends here in the U.K. themselves grew up with Penny. I’ve luckily had the chance to film Penny a few years ago on a short lived Supra tour and I can honestly say it was mind blowing.

Seeing him operate, how he operates and how fluid he is, is a completely different level of skateboarder. He’s done a lot of skateboarding off camera and still does to this day. There’s numerous stories of him doing things off camera that were absolutely mind melting. If you look back at his mid 90’s to early 2000’s stage, he started skating vert and would often send flip nosebones and 540’s, a lot of the time padless until he ultimately put a helmet on to shoot his iconic flip nosebone.

Sorry for such a long reply, I don’t think I’ve actually got to the point I wanted to make. I guess the reply I was trying to give is that Penny simply being Penny with the skateboarding he’s done both on and off camera is his magnum opus. He might not have put it into a solid part, or parts over the years - but the fact that he’s a skate rat at heart and will continue to skate solo around his hometown, or wherever he’s currently living in the world at the time speaks volumes. Dude doesn’t need an entourage, he doesn’t need followers, filmers or photographers. More often than not, when he’s back in the U.K. he’ll just go anywhere and skate unannounced for the pure joy of it.

Tom’s magnum opus is quite literally himself and whenever he steps on his board.

A great dude to say the least.

Thank you for your reply,  it was really the answer I was searching for.

Even me that was lame-ass skater have a few non documented Penny stories.

I have seen the Dude in person and it was mind-blowing.

Just give Penny skateboarding legendary and support for LIFE!!!

backside_reacharound

• Rep: -197
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2023, 09:35:56 AM »
are magnums what he fits?

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -62
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2023, 09:41:15 AM »
Showing my age here, but for me it was his TSA Life in the Fast Lane part.
Probably not the best part he ever released, but for it's time and place in my life it was massively influential,
blew my fucking mind.

Trilogy

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2023, 09:44:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

LoL

I know what you guys are joking.

Penny fits with his semi-baggy, brown regular accels, beenie and small neck silver chain were so cool!!!! ( that might be the GOAT skateboarding fit ever )

But maybe he did too much drugs and his super huge baggy corny Ecko, double XXXXL t-shirts were really bad...specially
in the skinny PD 2000 era, but dude is a skateboarding God and God's do what da F they want!!!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 09:52:53 AM by Trilogy »

sle_epy

• Rep: -82
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2023, 09:44:41 AM »
Showing my age here, but for me it was his TSA Life in the Fast Lane part.
Probably not the best part he ever released, but for it's time and place in my life it was massively influential,
blew my fucking mind.

Wasn't there for it, but that's my fav part of his as well.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

Puddy Smally

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2023, 09:50:56 AM »
Magnus Opum*

Don’t forget your Slapisms.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

Trilogy

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2023, 09:54:27 AM »
Magnus Opum*

Don’t forget your Slapisms.

Ahahaha

Thats right!

One day it will someone fake Danish Slap's nickname.

Pooh Drunx

• Rep: -58
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2023, 10:23:27 AM »
different time. different skater. thats part of the mystique. the fables go that he landed things very quickly and never cared to ask the filmer or photographer anything and would try spontanious and outrageous tricks without warning. Contests were the way you got your name out compared to video parts. Penny would just show up to the contests and would litght the parks on fire in practice and when it came finals time, he would take the back seat.

Its a whole thing and a whole legend. it was just the tricks he did. its the stuff you would have to be there to see that no footage got and is hard to believe unless you were there.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2023, 10:32:02 AM »
No, he didn’t have one unless you count Menikmati. Honestly I respect the man but his refusal to put together a real part always came off as kinda lame and disrespectful. If Guy could put in the work for Mouse, Penny could have put out at least one good part. Not cool collecting big checks to barely show up.

tadej Pog

• Rep: -527
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2023, 10:46:00 AM »
His magnum opus is Beyond the good and evil.
Miss you Rusty Berings

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2023, 10:57:47 AM »
Much like the Muska they both transcend the concept of a singular magnum opus part. Who else also transcends in a similar manner?  Gino..lol? That boy sure can push.

boogs

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2023, 11:10:47 AM »

I wish he never jumped on those S.Dali rocks and never got injured around 2000 because I think if he didn't got injured his part in Sorrry might be his best, most legendary and closing video part like Mariano had in Mouse.

What you guys think??
At least 6 maybe 12

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65249
  • Team -65K
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2023, 12:43:15 PM »
Just that nollie backside flip over the chain into the bank is so beautiful and perfect that trick alone could be his magnum opus.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2023, 12:44:19 PM »
Just that nollie backside flip over the chain into the bank is so beautiful and perfect that trick alone could be his magnum opus.

And then he sealed the deal with the switch backside flip.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

LUGR

• Rep: 45
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2023, 01:03:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

LoL

I know what you guys are joking.

Penny fits with his semi-baggy, brown regular accels, beenie and small neck silver chain were so cool!!!! ( that might be the GOAT skateboarding fit ever

With the polo shirt!

I combine his Hi5 and TSA parts together and consider them his magnum. That’s the era.

Just did a search of him and saw a pic of him bsts’n hubba in Mc Raps, never seen that one before.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3290
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2023, 01:04:22 PM »
Watching him skate mini ramps/bowls was always the thing about him that just left me stunned. Everything he did was amazing, but I would give anything to be able to flip flop around on transition the way he did/does.

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 254
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2023, 01:16:05 PM »
No, he didn’t have one unless you count Menikmati. Honestly I respect the man but his refusal to put together a real part always came off as kinda lame and disrespectful. If Guy could put in the work for Mouse, Penny could have put out at least one good part. Not cool collecting big checks to barely show up.

He made every company he rode for a boatload of money. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that he made Flip and eS MORE money because of how illusive he was/is.

Cheshire Cat

• Rep: 59
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2023, 01:16:12 PM »
I think there's arguments to be made for the chain to bank session being his magnus, or his sorry part, or even his really sorry part. As quickly put together as that was after Sorry there was some great footage in there. I'll still rewatch his Extremely Sorry part (with the sound).

But as a few others have said his greatness really does lie in everything else about him that creates the context for his tricks.
Not to mythologize or wax too much but there are a few real characters in skateboarding of wildly varying career trajectories and Tom's one of them.

But OP, I completely see your point. In terms of straight video parts at career milestones or in big productions , it's hard to really say which part is his actual best.

MacGravy

• Rep: 2
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2023, 01:32:53 PM »
Just going to leave this one here. Just incase you haven't seen it.

https://youtu.be/THyo84BI_mw

Rocuronium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 48
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2023, 01:35:11 PM »
I love watching Cory Juneau skate because his style is so much like Penny's.
His tricks seem to glitch into slo-mo, he lands them with the same sleepy fade.
Both have questionable fashion taste but I don't care.
[img]https://i.pinimg.com/236x/59/48/b8/5948b85016497192c5b5df8b620f75db.jpg[img]

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2023, 01:55:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

He made every company he rode for a boatload of money. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that he made Flip and eS MORE money because of how illusive he was/is.

WHO would he be putting out the parts for?   There wasn’t a Flip or eS video in the 90s and it certainly isn’t like today where people are going to wreck themselves for a wheel sponsor part which would probably be a shop promo video anyways. 

Penny got injured on that rock jump from the beginning of Sorry! and Flip and eS decided how they were going to handle his footage (which is why he has one new trick in his part and at least one in the two team montages).   

changed1

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2023, 02:03:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

WHO would he be putting out the parts for?   There wasn’t a Flip or eS video in the 90s and it certainly isn’t like today where people are going to wreck themselves for a wheel sponsor part which would probably be a shop promo video anyways. 

Penny got injured on that rock jump from the beginning of Sorry! and Flip and eS decided how they were going to handle his footage (which is why he has one new trick in his part and at least one in the two team montages).
Crazy he got hurt from this. He looks fine getting up in the footage
https://youtu.be/pOCHl4oXaZY
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 02:12:56 PM by changed1 »

Tabletop

• Rep: -74
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2023, 02:38:21 PM »
His magnum opus’s are his runs at Radlands.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2023, 03:15:16 PM »
Just going to leave this one here. Just incase you haven't seen it.

https://youtu.be/THyo84BI_mw

Last trick is other worldly.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2023, 03:25:16 PM »
His line in the 411 industry section topped of by the Carlsbad swithflip encapsulate why he is the GOAT for me.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro