Author Topic: Does Tom Penny really has a magnum opus part???  (Read 7145 times)

SatanicPanic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
Re: Does Tom Penny really has a magnum opus part???
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2023, 03:40:42 PM »
Expand Quote
No, he didn’t have one unless you count Menikmati. Honestly I respect the man but his refusal to put together a real part always came off as kinda lame and disrespectful. If Guy could put in the work for Mouse, Penny could have put out at least one good part. Not cool collecting big checks to barely show up.
[close]

He made every company he rode for a boatload of money. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that he made Flip and eS MORE money because of how illusive he was/is.
I never bought a thing related to him because even though I’m a fan I didn’t feel like he deserved my money.

DanCorteseFromMTVSports

• Rep: 279
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2023, 03:48:02 PM »
For the pure vibes this emanates, I say this is the one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub2x_6cMLJs

kookdusoleil

• Rep: 37
  • Have fun out there
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2023, 03:48:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
No, he didn’t have one unless you count Menikmati. Honestly I respect the man but his refusal to put together a real part always came off as kinda lame and disrespectful. If Guy could put in the work for Mouse, Penny could have put out at least one good part. Not cool collecting big checks to barely show up.
[close]

He made every company he rode for a boatload of money. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that he made Flip and eS MORE money because of how illusive he was/is.
[close]
I never bought a thing related to him because even though I’m a fan I didn’t feel like he deserved my money.

You’re a fan but you don’t want to support him? No shade but I don’t get it

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2023, 03:59:13 PM »
John Cardiel, who I think is just as legendary as Penny, never really had a magnum opus either
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3289
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2023, 05:20:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I demand my monkeys dance before I throw cash at them. Fun watching them run around picking up the bills!

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2023, 05:49:56 PM »
John Cardiel, who I think is just as legendary as Penny, never really had a magnum opus either

are you Henry Sanchez or something?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Smo7vqZX0-A

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2023, 06:23:36 PM »
Magnus Opum*

Don’t forget your Slapisms.

I’ll Gnar a David Cloud Berman fan any & all days.

“ But a lonely man can't make a move
If he can't even bring himself to choose
Between a pair of black and a pair of brown shoes” - DCB

He chose brown in this case (Penny)

https://youtu.be/iK_VtyTp-f0

See you again for another Gnar

kingpinuser

• Rep: 54
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2023, 06:30:58 PM »
411 Europe 1996, that tape I wore out replaying the Penny clips.

Some of the clips are in this edit.

http://youtu.be/Jwxu0eHT0xw

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2023, 07:18:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

I liked his skating but I’d rather support other skaters who worked harder. Just felt rude to be like “he never cared about filming”.

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -606
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2023, 08:04:24 PM »
I’m confused—I thought his High Five part was the opus?
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1890
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2023, 08:35:24 PM »
are magnums what he fits?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us5MGEL5W34

Penny seems like he's got a hog in his pants.

The lack of consistent video output and the mystery of the man is Penny's magnum opus.

He's the rarest of pro skaters where less is more, Gino and Julien are the same league IMO.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -311
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2023, 09:05:27 PM »
I think this tells a perfect tale of his greatness

https://youtu.be/Di9c3odrJ3c

dannyprovolone

« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2023, 10:11:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
I liked his skating but I’d rather support other skaters who worked harder. Just felt rude to be like “he never cared about filming”.

he seemed to care enough, theres tons of footy from that era of him

flip screwed up by never showcasing their late 90's team properly imo

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2023, 10:30:12 PM »
I’m confused—I thought his High Five part was the opus?

All 90s Penny tricks were so well documented that we had already seen pictures for almost every trick in High Five. Off the dome…

Nolliecopter
Switch board slide
Hip kickflip
Kickflip backside tailstall in pool
Switch frontside flip

These tricks were all In Transworld magazine before the video dropped so no surprises.

His Radlands 95’ contest run and the Flip industry section was the Penny on Magnum. Both clips were so sick and unexpected.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E54RueabXLw

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Os1VShnHSas
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 10:38:09 PM by GardenSkater77 »

mtvic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2023, 10:39:47 PM »
His Etnies high five part. That was the culmination and true introduction to his talent. 

Trilogy

• Rep: -232
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2023, 10:42:33 PM »
It would be cool if Tom Penny had a Manolo tape.

( btw,  I think Manolo is a Genius and has great taste )

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2023, 11:01:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

This is a bit of a stretch. It's not that he didn't care about filming. He's just someone that skated regardless of whether there was a camera or chance of getting clips involved.

Steve Kelly

• Rep: -227
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2023, 11:01:35 PM »
high five 100%

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Badmeaningood

• Rep: 25
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2023, 01:11:49 AM »
I remember being disappointed at his Sorry part at the time as we had to wait years for it and everyone was expecting the game changer, but in hindsight I think that the Arto delirium dream sequence part comes the closest to capturing Tom's mystique. There's nothing in there that's mind blowing skate-wise, but the editing, coupled with venus in furs, creates a hallucinatory feeling of "did that really happen, or was it just a dream?". The fact that he dropped out of the scene by the time it came out reinforced this as you'd have to rely on stories from people who were there to witness him - kind of like a yeti sighting. I quite like the fact that there is no career defining part, as his legend is perpetuated in a similar manner to a folk tale.

https://youtu.be/1SfHufOw3uY
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 01:26:31 AM by Badmeaningood »

Pipe Dreamer

• Rep: 24
  • Slap hard Slap often
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2023, 02:05:51 AM »
I was with Tom in a friends house once, who had a massive collection of UK skate mags, i pulled out the Sidewalk issue with the blindside nollie flip at Meanwhile 2. I asked him about it, he said he was in London with Wig Worland and fancied skating there, they both tried to get a filmer to no avail, and he landed it several times after a few tries and said I don't think i have ever been back there nonchalantly. This kind of typifies his career to me, he does what he wants when he wanted too, documented or not it was never a priority for him.

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2023, 02:53:22 AM »
Hi Five is fucking perfect

Mr.Jenkins

• Rep: 156
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2023, 02:54:05 AM »
I love that there is no obvious mega-calculated part from Penny, this is the magic with him. In the early 90´s skating was more fluid and not so planned out, and it feels like Penny kept this going in a time where production became bigger and people had tricks written down and everything became mega calculated.  I mean, lots of the classic Penny stuff is things that people just happend to film. Like, I regularly watch pennys flip over the hip in Radlands, some 25 years later. Its a flip. In a skatepark. That someone happend to film. And it feels like most of his stuff was a spur of the moment stuff.

Thats some magic people like Nyjah etc could never capture.

Terminal

« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2023, 04:57:06 AM »
Expand Quote
He is one my favorite skaters ever and I really know all his history and importance.

Dude was years ahead everyone in the mid-90s when he arrived at California from England.

I have seen that Etnies Hi-5 part, the chain ( Rob Dyrdek commented) part and the Menikmati part ( although that was all recycled footage  ).

But I dont think he really had a really really mind-blowing magnum opus part ( I could be wrong... ).

Everything was not so video-recorded back then.

Maybe that even gives Penny more real skater mystic ( if you know what I mean ).

I wish he never junped on those S.Dali rocks and never got injured around 2000 because I think if he didn't got injured his part in Sorrry might be his best, most legendary and closing video part like Mariano had in Mouse.

Anyway,  He is one of the best ever, untouchable and a absolute skateboarding Legend.

What you guys think??
[close]

I completely understand what you mean. I hope this doesn’t come across as cliche but Penny’s magnum opus lies with Penny himself. You’ll hear stories from everyone, literally everyone about Penny. In fact, you hear them frequently a lot in the U.K. as of course, Penny is from Oxford and a lot of the legends here in the U.K. themselves grew up with Penny. I’ve luckily had the chance to film Penny a few years ago on a short lived Supra tour and I can honestly say it was mind blowing.

Seeing him operate, how he operates and how fluid he is, is a completely different level of skateboarder. He’s done a lot of skateboarding off camera and still does to this day. There’s numerous stories of him doing things off camera that were absolutely mind melting. If you look back at his mid 90’s to early 2000’s stage, he started skating vert and would often send flip nosebones and 540’s, a lot of the time padless until he ultimately put a helmet on to shoot his iconic flip nosebone.

Sorry for such a long reply, I don’t think I’ve actually got to the point I wanted to make. I guess the reply I was trying to give is that Penny simply being Penny with the skateboarding he’s done both on and off camera is his magnum opus. He might not have put it into a solid part, or parts over the years - but the fact that he’s a skate rat at heart and will continue to skate solo around his hometown, or wherever he’s currently living in the world at the time speaks volumes. Dude doesn’t need an entourage, he doesn’t need followers, filmers or photographers. More often than not, when he’s back in the U.K. he’ll just go anywhere and skate unannounced for the pure joy of it.

Tom’s magnum opus is quite literally himself and whenever he steps on his board.

A great dude to say the least.
This is the correct answer

Jim and Dan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 464
  • Pure East
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2023, 05:28:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Just going to leave this one here. Just incase you haven't seen it.

https://youtu.be/THyo84BI_mw
[close]

Last trick is other worldly.

Ally-oop floater across the gap was *chefs kiss*.

I'd almost lean towards Hi-5, some of the stories that came out of that era like the police station k/f over the rail coming out of nowhere and then the f/s flip first go and the San Dieguito night session really put into perspective how far beyond Penny was at that time, plus the song.
Roll for Rusty, Frip, Dapple and Tate

Ross Norman - Last of the Mohicans

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2023, 05:34:21 AM »
http://youtu.be/gjLFJtEnEfM

Agreed, this part has everything you need.  park, ramps, street plus the best style

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2023, 06:07:41 AM »
As others said, he doesn’t need one, that’s what contributed to his legacy, especially for those who weren’t there/ didn’t skate during those days. Like if I was a young kid in 2023, I could literally watch Koston’s legacy chronologically on YouTube in a single afternoon and be done with it. Penny needs to be studied, he is an enigma. My fav 3 stories:

1. Lights going off mid demo on a mini ramp and when they come back on, he’s mid frontside flip; that’s some zen Buddhist shit!

2. That eS ad where’s he perched so fucking high up on the roll in doing a tre flip. So much could go wrong but it’s a given that he was even concerned with any of that and/ or was stoked out of his mind (as probably on shrooms too).

3. That pic of him blindside nollie backside flipping those two big concrete half pipes in the UK. Word has it he landed it, rolled up the other side, kinda stepped off sketchy and then just disappeared. Classic Penny, I bet people would still struggle with doing that trick in 2023!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Badmeaningood

• Rep: 25
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2023, 07:02:58 AM »

3. That pic of him blindside nollie backside flipping those two big concrete half pipes in the UK. Word has it he landed it, rolled up the other side, kinda stepped off sketchy and then just disappeared. Classic Penny, I bet people would still struggle with doing that trick in 2023!

As far as I'm aware, no other nollie trick has gone down at Meanwhile. Lutzka did an allez oop frontside flip once, which I'd say was the next best thing done there.

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65249
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2023, 07:14:43 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

As far as I'm aware, no other nollie trick has gone down at Meanwhile. Lutzka did an allez oop frontside flip once, which I'd say was the next best thing done there.

Keith Hufnagel tre flipped it during the DC Europe Super Tour in like 1996 or so.

I would say pure based on the fact that you more often see a frontside flip over a gap or  down some stairs than 3 flips, the tre would be more difficult.

That is pure objectively speaking, if we take into account who did what trick, well.... No contest.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2023, 07:51:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

This is a bit of a stretch. It's not that he didn't care about filming. He's just someone that skated regardless of whether there was a camera or chance of getting clips involved.
Isn’t this basically the same thing?

I’ll try to explain it differently. Imagine you’re a Lakers fan and you buy season tickets because you live Lebron. You attend every game. Lebron shows up every eighth or ninth game and plays amazingly. Not because he’s injured or can’t play. In fact every time you show up to a game you hear he’d actually been in the arena earlier playing, and doing the most amazing shit, sorry you missed it. Lebron loves basketball so much, but he plays whenever he feels like it, not when fans expect. Would you feel like buying tickets was a good idea?