Author Topic: Does Tom Penny really has a magnum opus part???  (Read 7146 times)

Owen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
Re: Does Tom Penny really has a magnum opus part???
« Reply #90 on: May 24, 2023, 05:40:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
No, he didn’t have one unless you count Menikmati. Honestly I respect the man but his refusal to put together a real part always came off as kinda lame and disrespectful. If Guy could put in the work for Mouse, Penny could have put out at least one good part. Not cool collecting big checks to barely show up.
[close]

He made every company he rode for a boatload of money. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that he made Flip and eS MORE money because of how illusive he was/is.
[close]
I never bought a thing related to him because even though I’m a fan I didn’t feel like he deserved my money.
[close]

You’re a fan but you don’t want to support him? No shade but I don’t get it
[close]
I liked his skating but I’d rather support other skaters who worked harder. Just felt rude to be like “he never cared about filming”.
[close]

This is a bit of a stretch. It's not that he didn't care about filming. He's just someone that skated regardless of whether there was a camera or chance of getting clips involved.
[close]
Isn’t this basically the same thing?

I’ll try to explain it differently. Imagine you’re a Lakers fan and you buy season tickets because you live Lebron. You attend every game. Lebron shows up every eighth or ninth game and plays amazingly. Not because he’s injured or can’t play. In fact every time you show up to a game you hear he’d actually been in the arena earlier playing, and doing the most amazing shit, sorry you missed it. Lebron loves basketball so much, but he plays whenever he feels like it, not when fans expect. Would you feel like buying tickets was a good idea?
[close]

This is a poor analogy because basketball is both a sport based on statistics/winning and publicly performative whereas skateboarding is an art form based on style and largely on spontaneity. No one who financially supported Penny specifically missed out on anything because, thankfully, there is no metric of how much one should skate or film. Plus, Penny filmed a lot, especially considering the circumstances, it’s just spread out all over the place.

Also, just generally, less is more, in my opinion.
[close]
How is skateboarding an art form but not publicly performative? Yhat doesn’t make sense.

There is a metric- video parts. We hear people on here all the time saying someone’s career doesn’t count because they rarely put out parts- Luan Olivera or Rayssa Leal for instance. Or how it’s not ok that Beatrice Domond got a board without putting out a full part. Everyone is giving Penny a pass because he was a generational talent, or because it would be really sick to be so good that you don’t have to bother with hall the bullshit that lesser pros do. That’s fine. But I don’t know why I should try to convince myself that he deserves my money or that it’s really awesome that we didn’t see a ton of footage from him. That’s ridiculous. No one here actually prefers that he never put out a great part.

This is one of the wackest takes I think I've ever read on Slap. Can't believe you just compared Penny to these three
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Puddy Smally

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #91 on: May 24, 2023, 05:50:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
No, he didn’t have one unless you count Menikmati. Honestly I respect the man but his refusal to put together a real part always came off as kinda lame and disrespectful. If Guy could put in the work for Mouse, Penny could have put out at least one good part. Not cool collecting big checks to barely show up.
[close]

He made every company he rode for a boatload of money. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that he made Flip and eS MORE money because of how illusive he was/is.
[close]
I never bought a thing related to him because even though I’m a fan I didn’t feel like he deserved my money.
[close]

[close]
I liked his skating but I’d rather support other skaters who worked harder. Just felt rude to be like “he never cared about filming”.
[close]

This is a bit of a stretch. It's not that he didn't care about filming. He's just someone that skated regardless of whether there was a camera or chance of getting clips involved.
[close]

I’ll try to explain it differently. Imagine you’re a Lakers fan and you buy season tickets because you live Lebron. You attend every game. Lebron shows up every eighth or ninth game and plays amazingly. Not because he’s injured or can’t play. In fact every time you show up to a game you hear he’d actually been in the arena earlier playing, and doing the most amazing shit, sorry you missed it. Lebron loves basketball so much, but he plays whenever he feels like it, not when fans expect. Would you feel like buying tickets was a good idea?
[close]

This is a poor analogy because basketball is both a sport based on statistics/winning and publicly performative whereas skateboarding is an art form based on style and largely on spontaneity. No one who financially supported Penny specifically missed out on anything because, thankfully, there is no metric of how much one should skate or film. Plus, Penny filmed a lot, especially considering the circumstances, it’s just spread out all over the place.

Also, just generally, less is more, in my opinion.
[close]
How is skateboarding an art form but not publicly performative? Yhat doesn’t make sense.

There is a metric- video parts. We hear people on here all the time saying someone’s career doesn’t count because they rarely put out parts- Luan Olivera or Rayssa Leal for instance. Or how it’s not ok that Beatrice Domond got a board without putting out a full part. Everyone is giving Penny a pass because he was a generational talent, or because it would be really sick to be so good that you don’t have to bother with hall the bullshit that lesser pros do. That’s fine. But I don’t know why I should try to convince myself that he deserves my money or that it’s really awesome that we didn’t see a ton of footage from him. That’s ridiculous. No one here actually prefers that he never put out a great part.
[close]

This is one of the wackest takes I think I've ever read on Slap. Can't believe you just compared Penny to these three

@Satanicpanic’s takes are so bad that I bought a Penny mushroom deck in response out of spite, and I can’t stand post Really Sorry Flip.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 456
« Reply #92 on: May 24, 2023, 06:08:20 PM »
didn't Reynolds make his own a Penny compilation videotape that he would watch all the time? maybe that's the edit we need to see. that or an edit by MemoryScreen.

I think that might have been P-Rod. I recall him saying something about that when he was telling a Penny story on video about their time together on éS. That's not to say Reynolds didn't do it too but this is the one I remember hearing about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaBKpn3sFp8
« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 07:06:13 PM by Steely Daniel »

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 411
« Reply #93 on: May 24, 2023, 07:03:52 PM »
If you think Tom Penny needs a magnum opus part, you don’t understand what makes Tom Penny Tom Penny.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #94 on: May 24, 2023, 07:29:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

The reason this is a poor analogy is because you're not buying front row tix to SLS to watch Penny, you're buying (or not buying, in your case) his gear and the tools he uses to skateboard so well -- the products he endorses. A more apt analogy would be to compare it to you refusing to buy LeBron's signature shoes and jerseys, etc....and let's get serious, you're buying all that shit.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

ilovegay

• Rep: 9
« Reply #95 on: May 24, 2023, 07:42:46 PM »
http://youtu.be/PXM8V2pKL0w

This is prime Penny. Still probably the best line of all time. I’m just glad that even as a young dumb kid watching 411 I knew that it didn’t get better than this.

Trilogy

• Rep: -232
« Reply #96 on: May 25, 2023, 02:03:25 AM »

This is prime Penny. Still probably the best line of all time. I’m just glad that even as a young dumb kid watching 411 I knew that it didn’t get better than this.

This line is soooo good!!!

A lot of people say Gino has the best style of all time, I really like him and his style is really great, but I don't really know if he has better style than the style Penny had in this line/era.

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65249
  • Team -65K
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #97 on: May 25, 2023, 08:37:06 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This line is soooo good!!!

A lot of people say Gino has the best style of all time, I really like him and his style is really great, but I don't really know if he has better style than the style Penny had in this line/era.

Pretty sure this was also the first backside tailslide I saw on a handrail, for sure in a line.

BacksideWallride

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
« Reply #98 on: May 25, 2023, 11:19:58 AM »
Am I wrong or did I read here a long time ago that when he was shutting down the chain to bank he Switch Frontside 360 flipped it but they withheld the footage and were trying to market Geoff more than Penny? Or was I having a weird fever dream and that never happened...

Also that contest run I always loved how he pushed up while on the bank, so stylish

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #99 on: May 25, 2023, 11:51:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

The reason this is a poor analogy is because you're not buying front row tix to SLS to watch Penny, you're buying (or not buying, in your case) his gear and the tools he uses to skateboard so well -- the products he endorses. A more apt analogy would be to compare it to you refusing to buy LeBron's signature shoes and jerseys, etc....and let's get serious, you're buying all that shit.
Come on man this is lame nitpicking , you can understand the analogy. We buy skaters’ stuff because we watch their videos and decide we like how they skate. No one intentionally buys product from someone they’ve never seen skate. So skaters have to perform or people generally don’t buy their shit. But Penny had convinced nearly everyone it’s a good thing that he didn’t put out much during his peak. I disagreed and people are throwing a hissy fit.

And sure, Beatrice and Luan aren’t perfect comparisons but Rayssa is every bit as big of a deal as Penny.

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Team -65K
« Reply #100 on: May 25, 2023, 12:53:46 PM »
Am I wrong or did I read here a long time ago that when he was shutting down the chain to bank he Switch Frontside 360 flipped it but they withheld the footage and were trying to market Geoff more than Penny? Or was I having a weird fever dream and that never happened...

Also that contest run I always loved how he pushed up while on the bank, so stylish

I heard that rumor too, that he did even more tricks that session, but I don't think it's very likely. It was a shared part with Rowley and Penny had the "ender."

Also at that time marketing wasn't as professional as it is know, this was even way before the X-Games.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 01:43:03 PM by TheDraught »

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #101 on: May 25, 2023, 01:12:42 PM »
And guys, you don’t need to get so butthurt about my 90s consumer habits that you run out and buy stuff. I’m just some guy on the internet, my opinion doesn’t matter. I’m a Penny fan and I’ve said multiple times he’s the best skater I’ve ever seen IRL.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #102 on: May 25, 2023, 01:49:57 PM »
I don't think anyone really cares as much as you'd like to believe we do. Tbh, Idek what you're going on about.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Badavis

• Rep: 4
« Reply #103 on: May 25, 2023, 02:21:19 PM »
High 5 is his magnus opum, perfect introduction to American spots, every trick is a classic clip and peak style. Nobody else came close in 95.

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 363

HisNameIsntWarren

• Rep: 48
« Reply #105 on: May 25, 2023, 08:10:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I heard that rumor too, that he did even more tricks that session, but I don't think it's very likely. It was a shared part with Rowley and Penny had the "ender."

Also at that time marketing wasn't as professional as it is know, this was even way before the X-Games.

It was debunked and I think that poster stopped posting after that a la VK420

My vote goes to Uno. High 5 was fucked up tricks ahead of its time, Menikmati doesn’t count, TSA was good but not his best, Sorry trilogy was after his peak. Uno was just special in the fact that something like that has never been done, will never be done, was on a whim, and every single trick was executed perfectly all the while during his peak style. Shit was bonkers watching that for the first time.

Welcome to the OC bitch! This is how it’s done in Orange County.

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 411
« Reply #106 on: May 25, 2023, 11:33:55 PM »
Thanks for making me revisit all that stuff. Every time I watch a new clip I change my mind about what I think his magnum opus is. This is definitely some of the most beautiful skating ever caught on camera, especially with the song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub2x_6cMLJs
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 11:41:05 PM by RoaryMcTwang »

Sondor

• Rep: 60
« Reply #107 on: May 26, 2023, 12:36:18 AM »
some more peak penny
Absorb the sheer dopeness of The Oxford Don himself, Sir Tom Penny, in this 16mm footage filmed for a 411 éS Footwear commercial in the mid-90’s…

https://youtu.be/u3aKHd1QQ7k

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Team -65K
« Reply #108 on: May 26, 2023, 05:00:53 AM »
some more peak penny
Absorb the sheer dopeness of The Oxford Don himself, Sir Tom Penny, in this 16mm footage filmed for a 411 éS Footwear commercial in the mid-90’s…

https://youtu.be/u3aKHd1QQ7k

It's so typical Tom Penny that he almost lands the frontside 360 flip twice and doesn't bother again.

I also remember this line in a parking garage (not the one with the launch ramp) where he casually boardslides the hood of a random car, but can't find it right now. 

Btw here is that picture Wig Worland took of his blind side nollie flip over the Meanwhile 2 gap in London but that was never filmed, just like his only 540 on vert in Copenhagen or Malmo after drinking a couple of bottles of wine. All those stories add more to his legacy than any part ever could imho.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #109 on: May 26, 2023, 06:56:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Showing my age here, but for me it was his TSA Life in the Fast Lane part.
Probably not the best part he ever released, but for it's time and place in my life it was massively influential,
blew my fucking mind.
[close]

Wasn't there for it, but that's my fav part of his as well.

Double same

JamesFardy

• Rep: 65
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #110 on: May 26, 2023, 08:47:39 AM »
lets put it this way, if he decided to have one we couldnt afford it

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #111 on: May 26, 2023, 08:52:22 AM »
Sorry guys, my phone was bugging last night.  Didn’t mean to repeatedly post

Merman

• Rep: -40
« Reply #112 on: May 26, 2023, 09:05:14 AM »
His magnum opus was created by skaters themselves and not by the companies. It's 11 minutes of prime Penny collected from his diffuse coverage. The Rolling Stones and Moby are playing in the background.

Penny is for the people. He just roams around the world blowing minds and the industry makes bank off the table scraps he leaves behind.

OneMore

• Rep: -3
« Reply #113 on: May 26, 2023, 09:58:59 AM »
G-d bless Tom Penny

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -377
« Reply #116 on: May 26, 2023, 05:54:28 PM »
I know this. I had quit skating for a long time and my buddy moved back from the air force and was like you should skate again. He gave me old 411's and I remember basically knowing Penny was better than everyone and it was just from little ads. One with 2 Little kickers over a chair,the industry line and him fronside flipping a huge rail.I was like this dude is different. I had never seen flip tricks like that over rails. That's prime penny to me..i dont think sorry era and beyond is close really.

Trilogy

• Rep: -232
« Reply #117 on: May 26, 2023, 10:23:46 PM »
BTW, I heard there's a rumor that Penny was on meth during the mid 90's in California.

winecrab

• Rep: -176
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #118 on: May 26, 2023, 11:37:14 PM »
No, he's overrated.

buffalo hunter

• Rep: 35
« Reply #119 on: May 27, 2023, 05:48:23 AM »
Just going to leave this one here. Just incase you haven't seen it.

https://youtu.be/THyo84BI_mw

Still mad I didn't go to that demo in 95ish.