Author Topic: Ed Templeton's Unsparing Photographic Diary of Skateboarding Life-New Yorker Mag  (Read 3291 times)

american.worm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 15
I think a lot of peoples disdain of photography stems from it not seeming to push its own boundaries or evolving as evidently as other forms of fine art. Its easier to enjoy when you accept that its just someone there documenting the things around them and possibly offering a unique perspective, rather than expecting it to blow your mind conceptually.

I enjoy Eds photography but this collection seems more geared towards garnering interest from non-skateboarders.

The night listener

• Rep: -163
Yeah I remember Big Brother always making fun of Ed and basically calling him queer. I didn't know what was up and wasn't old/smart enough to figure it out, so I actually thought Ed was gay for the longest time until I realized he was just being teased by the industry cool kids. I held Carnie in the highest regard as a 17/18 year-old when Big Brother came out...I was square in the target demographic. So I remember being confused by all of this stuff. I've always been kind-of amazed that he seemed to just roll with all of it and not care. Who knows if that's the case, but from what I could see he just let assholes do their thing while he did his thing.

I actually don't understand the reaction against him. Sexuality is a major part of the human experience...possibly the strongest driving force on the face of the planet. Ed was there for it then and continues to be, but his stuff has never felt exploitative to me beyond capturing what's going on in front of his lense. I've never gotten any kind of sense that he waves $5 bills in front of kids faces so he can take a look at their panties. I don't get all of the pushback beyond old time religion-esque pearl clutching.

I get what you're saying but some people say he photographs underage girls with no consent or even their knowledge. That's pretty bad.

scab

• Rep: 200
I think a lot of peoples disdain of photography stems from it not seeming to push its own boundaries or evolving as evidently as other forms of fine art. Its easier to enjoy when you accept that its just someone there documenting the things around them and possibly offering a unique perspective, rather than expecting it to blow your mind conceptually.

I enjoy Eds photography but this collection seems more geared towards garnering interest from non-skateboarders.

I gifted the book to someone and had the opportunity to skim through it before wrapping it. There's a shit ton of illustrations just detailing the routes of various demo tours, among lots of other stuff of course. Point being it's definitely not Teenagers Kissing 2.0 or something, but rather geared towards skaters. To me most of the pics were interesting because I knew the skaters in them, not simply for the photography itself.

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
Expand Quote
All this shit sucks.  Photography is the most overrated artform.
[close]

What do you think is the most underrated art form?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1CZMxosvhk

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 162
  • My brother Roy is into music
Expand Quote

[close]

I gifted the book to someone and had the opportunity to skim through it before wrapping it. There's a shit ton of illustrations just detailing the routes of various demo tours, among lots of other stuff of course. Point being it's definitely not Teenagers Kissing 2.0 or something, but rather geared towards skaters. To me most of the pics were interesting because I knew the skaters in them, not simply for the photography itself.

I've skimmed through it once as well. I haven't read the interviews yet but I'm looking forward to it. The picture I remember the most is of Ed taking a picture of him and his wife's reflection in a mirror on a train ride. I have a sick mind