Author Topic: Tony Hawk on vans  (Read 32651 times)

Tear Up a Trick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
Re: Tony Hawk on vans
« Reply #300 on: May 23, 2023, 06:37:13 PM »
I like how their history implies that they never went away

I'm so glad that they have that on their site.  Man I had so many different styles of them.  I'm probably going to get a pair of something just for fun.

And something always made me think Flip took their video names from something else in the industry, maybe it was Airwalk if not MC.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2192
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #301 on: May 23, 2023, 07:01:02 PM »
I know every time I log on to a skate shop’s website and see them blowing out Vans, adidas, Nike and NB for 60% off retail, I think “the world needs another shoe brand.”
if that means they’ll be blowing them out at 70% off, I’m on board!
More shoe brands & more massive discounts, please!

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 382
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #302 on: May 23, 2023, 08:49:50 PM »
I mentioned this in another thread,

But Tony was suppose to host park series, but that was canceled. That exclusivity kept Tony from announcing other events. Vans was suppose to sponsor what i assumed became vert alert, but that also never happened. It was probably because of Covid and also vans low financial performances.

I think Lakai and tony were a great match. I saw a lot of older dudes rocking protos. I had a pair too. I think he had two parts during that time too.

If he is redoing airwalk that would be interesting atleast. Clive Dixon did that air walk ad a view months ago.

Yeah, I thought it was clear the Tony on Vans was some sort of contest series endorsement / partnership thing more than anything else that, as you said, COVID messed up. I'd personally really like for Tony to go back to Lakai. I thought it was cool  to see hims skating his kid's pro models before he was officially on the team just to support Lakai and Riley, I like that it seems like Lakai and Jimmy Wilkins really support one another and Jimmy and Tony are close, and it';s cool to see him skate for a smaller, skater-owned brand (regardless of how you feel about that whole conversation). I doubt he had a huge paycheck there to begin with so it makes sense for MC and Rick to hit him back up IMO.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
« Reply #303 on: May 23, 2023, 11:58:59 PM »
Tony made it known he only wanted to ride for skate brands.
Seems more likely for him to end up on Etnies than anything else.

Must have missed thst when he was talking about how he was almost on Nike until they gave Nyjah his spot

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65241
  • Team -65K
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #304 on: May 24, 2023, 04:02:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Heard he is revamping Airwalk…seriously
[close]

If you were the Airwalk TM gimme 4 names excluding Birman you'd put on in attempts to give Airwalk new life.
[close]

Jimmy Wilkins
Evan Smith
Minna Stess
Mami Tezuka

Bonus pick:  Ben Raybourn
[close]

Does Clay Kreiner have a shoe sponsor? Get him in the mix

He deserves the dough. Insane vert skater.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1069
« Reply #305 on: May 24, 2023, 04:05:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

If you were the Airwalk TM gimme 4 names excluding Birman you'd put on in attempts to give Airwalk new life.
[close]

Jimmy Wilkins
Evan Smith
Minna Stess
Mami Tezuka

[close]

[close]

Clay is on Nike, is he on the paid, tier idk

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1064
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #306 on: May 24, 2023, 04:14:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Must have missed thst when he was talking about how he was almost on Nike until they gave Nyjah his spot
I think it was after het got on indy and Lakai, maybe on his 9 club. Said he wanted to be sponsored by skate brands.
I'm too lazy to get a time stamp,sorry.
I'm sure he would have taken the Nike money, who wouldn't.

lurkluke

• Rep: 175
« Reply #307 on: May 24, 2023, 04:36:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Jimmy Wilkins
Evan Smith
Minna Stess
Mami Tezuka

[close]

[close]

yeah - I expected him to get a SOTY nom in 2021 (and probably TOTY for a couple years running). Not that it matters but he deserves a bit of respect for his last part.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #308 on: July 02, 2023, 08:22:05 PM »
Just incase him being seen wearing lakais for months wasn't enough to convince people he was of, he confirms it at about 3:30

Captain Creampie

• Rep: -8
« Reply #309 on: July 03, 2023, 02:19:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Hahahaha that’s not true 😂 He wanted on, but SB already had to many legacy riders in the team to justify adding him at the time.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #310 on: July 03, 2023, 06:27:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Jimmy Wilkins
Evan Smith
Minna Stess
Mami Tezuka

[close]

[close]

[close]

Last I saw in recent months he was skating Vans. I assumed he parted with Nike or got kicked off, but there's footage on his IG of him in Vans in the last 6-7 months I believe

Edit: it was over a year ago, but there's clips of him in Vans and then back in Nike. Don't think they're super old, so maybe it was a short window where he was trying then out between boxes from Nike?

Also, Greyson Fletcher was Nike to Vans and he's another blonde vert ripper hahah so I thought I was going crazy
Super Champion Fun Zone

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -482
« Reply #311 on: July 04, 2023, 01:31:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Jimmy Wilkins
Evan Smith
Minna Stess
Mami Tezuka

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Last I saw in recent months he was skating Vans. I assumed he parted with Nike or got kicked off, but there's footage on his IG of him in Vans in the last 6-7 months I believe

Edit: it was over a year ago, but there's clips of him in Vans and then back in Nike. Don't think they're super old, so maybe it was a short window where he was trying then out between boxes from Nike?

Also, Greyson Fletcher was Nike to Vans and he's another blonde vert ripper hahah so I thought I was going crazy

Possibly victim to the original covid Nike cuts and back like max Palmer ? Lotta people went through that it seemed on here for a few years . Not sure

Speaking of airwalks though didn’t some post a semi decent collab with a recreation of that real basic black one tennis style ? I wanna say it was some Zara type brand?
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #312 on: July 04, 2023, 04:25:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Jimmy Wilkins
Evan Smith
Minna Stess
Mami Tezuka

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Possibly victim to the original covid Nike cuts and back like max Palmer ? Lotta people went through that it seemed on here for a few years . Not sure

Speaking of airwalks though didn’t some post a semi decent collab with a recreation of that real basic black one tennis style ? I wanna say it was some Zara type brand?

it was pull & bear, they did the ones but they used some weird sole that doesn't look like it would work for skating.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Tiltmode Army Reservist

• Rep: 22
  • RIP Ben Raemers
« Reply #313 on: July 04, 2023, 08:16:48 AM »
It was cool of Tony to just straight up say that he no longer rode for Vans, instead of dancing around the topic. I know he's definitely not hurting for shoes, and I know this isn't the first time he's been without a shoe sponsor, but it still seems weird that the most recognizable skateboarder of all time doesn't currently have a shoe deal.

I remember his Nine Club interview where he said that one of the reasons he went with Vans was because they were going to help him with his foundation and get more skateparks built all over the world. After reading the last few posts in this thread and hearing about Vans recent losses, and what COVID did to their contest series that he was supposed to announce, it now makes sense why he no longer rides for Vans.

I am curious to see where he goes next. It would be cool to see him back on a smaller company like Lakai.   
RIP Ben Raemers

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1096
« Reply #314 on: July 04, 2023, 08:58:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Jimmy Wilkins
Evan Smith
Minna Stess
Mami Tezuka

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Max Palmer is in the new Nike video. He's definitely not cut.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

CAPTAIN NOBODY

« Reply #315 on: July 04, 2023, 09:21:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Jimmy Wilkins
Evan Smith
Minna Stess
Mami Tezuka

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Max Palmer is in the new Nike video. He's definitely not cut.
https://www.nikesb.com/team

Why has Max Palmer never been on the team page?