Author Topic: Horror Movies  (Read 20140 times)

layzieyez

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1483
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Horror Movies
« Reply #270 on: November 08, 2023, 02:22:18 PM »
Has anyone else watched The Mist in black and white?

Forgot a recent slasher movie I saw. Maniac (I watched the uncut version). Elijah Wood makes one hell of creepy dude.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #271 on: November 08, 2023, 03:32:11 PM »
Agree on watching The Thing. If you can, watch the remastered version because somehow the additional clarity given to the gnarliest scenes special effects look even better instead of dated. It had me shook all over again.

One of my fun favorites that doesn’t get mentioned enough is Idle Hands.

Also, I am partial to the first two The Omen movies.

Thanks for the tips. Which version of The Thing would you recommend? 1982 or 2011?
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #272 on: November 08, 2023, 03:36:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Agree on watching The Thing. If you can, watch the remastered version because somehow the additional clarity given to the gnarliest scenes special effects look even better instead of dated. It had me shook all over again.

[close]

Thanks for the tips. Which version of The Thing would you recommend? 1982 or 2011?
The OG 1982.

I might be in the minority of those that enjoyed the 2011 prequel. It was interesting for me to see how well they connected the two.

disclosed

• Rep: 175
« Reply #273 on: November 09, 2023, 09:36:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
The OG 1982.

I might be in the minority of those that enjoyed the 2011 prequel. It was interesting for me to see how well they connected the two.

when i saw the 2011 version it wasnt untill the the very end i realized it was a prequel. that insane relevation made the movie for me. now the problem is. if you go into it knowing it is. it lacks that surprise effect.

its cool they respected the OG enought to still do a lot with animatronics in the new version. woudvle been dog shit if it was all cgi like most movies around that time.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -514
« Reply #274 on: November 09, 2023, 09:53:47 PM »
Just finished “talk to me” out of Australia, highly recommend.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #275 on: November 10, 2023, 04:56:46 AM »
Has anyone else watched The Mist in black and white?

Forgot a recent slasher movie I saw. Maniac (I watched the uncut version). Elijah Wood makes one hell of creepy dude.

The Maniac remake that Wood did was pretty good, but you need to watch the original if you haven’t already.  Then watch Fulci’s “the New York Ripper”
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

the_dangery_bois

• Rep: 61
« Reply #276 on: November 10, 2023, 06:52:07 AM »
I watched The Thing based on the recommendations of people here.

I gotta say, it’s not that great.  Especially if you’ve seen Alien.  The atmospheric elements in Alien are so much better and the story overall is very similar.

One person’s opinion, I guess.

A horror movie that I thought was actually scary the first time I saw it was White Noise.  It hasn’t stayed scary on rewatching, but the first time definitely scared me.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -514
« Reply #277 on: November 10, 2023, 07:23:04 AM »
I watched The Thing based on the recommendations of people here.

I gotta say, it’s not that great.  Especially if you’ve seen Alien.  The atmospheric elements in Alien are so much better and the story overall is very similar.

One person’s opinion, I guess.

A horror movie that I thought was actually scary the first time I saw it was White Noise.  It hasn’t stayed scary on rewatching, but the first time definitely scared me.

Might have been too hyped up for you, but if you are using white noise as a benchmark and the “the thing” was meh, you might have a particular set of criteria that it’s be hard to pick for.

Alien is not that similar to the thing, imo.  the thing is based on the novella “who goes there?” Which has a few other adaptations, I highly reccomend the x files episode “ice” if you haven’t seen it or don’t remember it, on Hulu if interested.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #278 on: November 20, 2023, 06:49:56 PM »
I finally tracked down White Noise and watched it.

Michael Keaton did a great job of acting and the overall mood was similar to some Asian horror movies (especially Pulse from Kiyoshi Kurosawa)

One scene in particular must have been directly influenced by Thai horror movie Shutter.

I didn’t know it was a remake so I’m still trying to hunt down a copy of the OG Maniac. Hope to watch it sometime.

Since it’s getting to be Christmas soon, does anyone have any holiday horror favorites? The original 1974 Black Christmas is a perennial watch for me.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #279 on: November 20, 2023, 07:13:28 PM »

Since it’s getting to be Christmas soon, does anyone have any holiday horror favorites? The original 1974 Black Christmas is a perennial watch for me.
There's an Australian movie called red christmas. It's not great but it has a pretty funny behind the scenes/making of little doco thing. There's also a little show about the same director trying to lose weight that has one scene which is one of the times I've laughed the hardest in my life.

Also gremlins. Not worth watching as a horror as an adult more watch to appreciate the movie making but great for a first horror movie if you have younger family

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #280 on: November 20, 2023, 10:40:10 PM »

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #281 on: November 22, 2023, 02:10:54 AM »
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #282 on: November 24, 2023, 10:33:47 AM »
I’ve only watched the subtitled version of Rare Exports, but it is also one of my favorite Christmas monster movies.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1401143/?ref_=ext_shr_lnk

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #283 on: November 24, 2023, 08:14:41 PM »

Michael Keaton did a great job of acting and the overall mood was similar to some Asian horror movies (especially Pulse from Kiyoshi Kurosawa)

One scene in particular must have been directly influenced by Thai horror movie Shutter.

I didn’t know it was a remake so I’m still trying to hunt down a copy of the OG Maniac. Hope to watch it sometime.

Tubi, Vudu, & Pluto all have the og Maniac for free. If you can find the episode of the last drive in when they played it, highly recommended.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #284 on: November 29, 2023, 07:02:16 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Tubi, Vudu, & Pluto all have the og Maniac for free. If you can find the episode of the last drive in when they played it, highly recommended.
Thanks for the streaming suggestions but I prefer not to watch movies streaming since my ISP is quite awful and I wanted to make sure I was getting the remastered version they did for the Blu-ray. I managed to track it down so I’ll hopefully have time this weekend.

disclosed

• Rep: 175
« Reply #285 on: December 24, 2023, 07:53:13 AM »
last week i watched House Of The Dead, didnt know it was considered one of the wost movies ever made. but damn did i enjoy it. the editing in this movie is insane. there a 10 minute zombie shootout that looks like it a fan made music edit rather than an actual scene in a movie.
on top of that they keep putting game footage in the movie. its so insane how someone would even think thats a good idea.
especially at 6:45, that shit should never have made the final cut,  but i am  glad it did.

last night i finally watched Braindead (aka Dead Alive). i knew about if for like 15 years, heard tons of samples in songs from it and all, but never watched it. easily the best movie i seen all year.

an was Saw X a while ago in cinema, i cant see why people rate this movie so high. people who can rate this movie high must have never liked saw to begin with as it breaks everything the franchise is.

Velcro Wallet

• Rep: 214
« Reply #286 on: January 01, 2024, 11:33:57 AM »
Long Kong - the art of the devil 2

Thai horror is so good