bob george

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
Re: DUNE
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2023, 10:12:35 PM »
dune you’re mom

great work!

i'm reanimating this thread because I finally found a copy of Dune Messiah (the second book) in an op shop. i could've bought it new many times over, but because i literally found my copy of Dune - i sorted of wanted to let chance bring me the second one and it finally did!
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 969
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2023, 11:46:33 PM »
I'm going to drop and go to dune. Hahaha! Yes. Dune is exactly my trip. I'm a stoic ego death so no one ever notices I'm screaming face through space and time.

Getting Kaleidoscope vision exiting a crowded theater would suck though. Standing up looking for landmarks and hoping a homie isn't trying to use you as a leader to help them to escape.

Start following each other into corners and having quick sparks about how you arrived in this predicament and where the exit should be.

Go with the flow of concerned faces dude!!!
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

sharkjumper

• Rep: 40
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2023, 03:16:26 PM »
I’ve read through the whole series a few times. The first few books are great. The later books that Brian Herbert helped write are a good wrap up for the overall story, but aren’t as great to read.
The Lynch movie is entertaining, but it feels choppy. I think a lot got cut by the studio so there are a lot of gaps in the story.
I liked the newer movie. Tough one to take on, but looks amazing.

Thought this was a funny take on the books.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2023, 05:41:10 PM »
The trailers for the next movie have me incredibly hyped.  Denis confirmed finishing the 3rd films script too but mentioned taking time off before production just to recharge which sounds like a good move

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2023, 05:04:25 AM »
I’ve read through the whole series a few times. The first few books are great. The later books that Brian Herbert helped write are a good wrap up for the overall story, but aren’t as great to read.
The Lynch movie is entertaining, but it feels choppy. I think a lot got cut by the studio so there are a lot of gaps in the story.
I liked the newer movie. Tough one to take on, but looks amazing.

Thought this was a funny take on the books.

hahaha.....have a gnar my fellow Truthsayer

bob george

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2024, 09:24:00 PM »
Love the books (have read Dune and Dune Messiah and intend to keep reading but found the other two through happenstance and would like to find Children of Dune in the same manner), finally watched Dune 2 about 3 days ago and have decided I'm really not feeling either of the movies at all.

I don't get it, why is everyone so hyped on the movies? Sure, they have some aesthetically cool moments, but i feel like the story is kind of confusing and boring and lacking in the movies. i don't really watch new movies/shows very often anymore but timothy chalamet and zendaya are meant to be like the hottest shit out right? both of them are kind of wack actors.

I'm actually super bummed out on how not at all captivating these movies are vs how page-turner the books were.

I will watch them both again soon to see if it's one of those things where it takes a few exposures.

Anybody really enjoy the movies and care to explain what you loved?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2024, 08:27:25 AM »
Love the books (have read Dune and Dune Messiah and intend to keep reading but found the other two through happenstance and would like to find Children of Dune in the same manner), finally watched Dune 2 about 3 days ago and have decided I'm really not feeling either of the movies at all.

I don't get it, why is everyone so hyped on the movies? Sure, they have some aesthetically cool moments, but i feel like the story is kind of confusing and boring and lacking in the movies. i don't really watch new movies/shows very often anymore but timothy chalamet and zendaya are meant to be like the hottest shit out right? both of them are kind of wack actors.

I'm actually super bummed out on how not at all captivating these movies are vs how page-turner the books were.

I will watch them both again soon to see if it's one of those things where it takes a few exposures.

Hard sci fi nerd mad when something made accessible for the populace

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2024, 09:55:09 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

hahaha ! Ok I'll bite....
I loved the visuals and especially the sound of the movie. Also loved it cause of how much better iit was than the 1984 version. As for the story, I did not like the changes they made but IMHO they did not change it that much?

Also found Chalamet pretty good as Paul. Can't wait for all the people who watched the movie but did not read the books to find out how unhero-like he goes out!   :P

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2024, 10:10:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I loved the visuals and especially the sound of the movie. Also loved it cause of how much better iit was than the 1984 version. As for the story, I did not like the changes they made but IMHO they did not change it that much?

Also found Chalamet pretty good as Paul. Can't wait for all the people who watched the movie but did not read the books to find out how unhero-like he goes out!   :P

Denis V called him the Michael Corleone of sci fi which I thought was interesting

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2024, 11:12:58 AM »

I mean just the set and costume design is incredible plus the cinematography and score are just as good as it gets. Every creative choice was so fuckin cool to me. On top of that I thought the story and acting were great in both

bob george

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2024, 03:35:39 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Fair assumption, but not quite - I actually haven't read many books (novels) in my life, less than 20 for sure and Dune is the only science fiction i've read (is Frankenstein sci-fi?). I'm just a kook who happens to have read these books reallly.

Maybe I was too stoned during my viewing of Dune 2, but I didn't think it was accessible for the populace. I was finding the story a bit wispy even with an intimate knowledge of the book.

I was expecting a great emperor out of Christopher Walken, he was pretty underwhelming. The Fenrings as a couple were quite interesting in the book and the dude wasn't even in the movie. Alia (the foetus) not being born was a let down (she's kind of the most interesting character to me) - I guess they're saving her for the next one. Chani's new angle is weird and the lack of her and Paul having their child and losing it felt like a big deal in the book too. It also kind of lacks the vibe of being a cool, space-set story. Like, no guildsman depicted, no space travel depicted - the idea of things happening on different planets wasn't happening. Even Paul's prescience and the effects of melange/spice aren't really delved into.

When Timothy Chalamet does his big man voice and starts yelling shit I found it really offputting. Obviously it's necessary and I sound pretty petty whinging about it, but whatever, it's just a movie.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 11:21:22 PM by bob george »

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2024, 01:45:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Timothy Chamalamadingdong

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Ninj2

• Rep: -68
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2024, 04:48:51 PM »
I used to like dune. Not gonna lie. Now it just seems boring and like a season of melrose place. Also the whole white savior vibe it puts out is weird. There’s better sci fi out there. Dan Simmons has made some interesting books. And if we are talking about movies the only dune I’d want to watch is the Jodowsky  one they shelved. Not because of dune tho.