Author Topic: Who spat on Penny?  (Read 5489 times)

Crap

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 77
Re: Who spat on Penny?
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2023, 12:41:13 PM »
I've never met Mike Carroll before, and there is no evidence that it was Mike Carroll. As soon as I read the words 'Girl/Chocolate,' I instantly believed that it was Mike Carroll, and nothing in the world could convince me that it was anyone else.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 318
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2023, 12:45:50 PM »
Half the guys on here would pay to have Carroll spit on them.  Dummies probably think he’s got better style too
I would indeed pay to have Carroll spit on me

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65241
  • Team -65K
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2023, 12:46:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Iirc the whole Flip team was bullied when they arrived in 94 in the States for being "too good"

Like Geoffs tre flip down a 14 or 15 stair was not supposed to happen yet.

But then again it's probably not a good idea to hassle someone from Liverpool.
[close]

John Lennon was from Liverpool

I am taking a rough guess that you don’t know much about Lennons youth.

323-BALM

• Rep: 46
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2023, 12:59:10 PM »
Once upon a time, during the exhilarating era of skateboarding in the early 1990s, a legendary skate team called Crailtap emerged with a reputation for innovation and unruly antics. Among their talented riders was a mysterious and enigmatic individual known simply as "Shadow."

In the summer of 1992, the skateboarding world converged on the iconic Radlands Skatepark in Northampton, England, for a highly anticipated contest. The atmosphere crackled with excitement as both seasoned professionals and up-and-coming amateurs showcased their skills on the sprawling ramps and rails.

Tom Penny, a British skateboarding prodigy, was widely revered for his grace and technical mastery on the board. His every move held the audience in awe as he effortlessly glided through the park, executing tricks with unmatched precision.

As the contest reached its climax, the crowd eagerly anticipated Tom's final run. All eyes were fixed on him, expecting a display of unparalleled talent. But fate had a different plan in store.

As Tom prepared to drop in, a hushed whisper spread through the crowd. The Crailtap team had arrived, and Shadow, their mysterious rider, was rumored to be among them. With a reputation for audacious behavior, he was a wildcard capable of anything.

As Tom Penny embarked on his run, a sense of anticipation hung in the air. Suddenly, a figure materialized from the shadows, clad in black from head to toe. It was Shadow, the enigmatic skater known for pushing boundaries.

With a mischievous glint in his eye, Shadow approached the edge of the ramp where Tom was about to perform his next trick. Without warning, he leaned over and delivered a perfectly aimed spitball, which landed squarely on Tom's forehead.

Time seemed to stand still as the crowd erupted into a mixture of shock, laughter, and disbelief. Tom Penny, known for his unwavering focus, could only blink in surprise as the spitball rolled down his face. Even he couldn't help but crack a smile at the audacity of the act.

Unbeknownst to everyone, the incident struck a chord with a young Jamaican musician named Shaggy, who had come to witness the contest as a passionate fan of skateboarding culture. Captivated by Shadow's brazen display, Shaggy was inspired to capture the essence of the unexpected and outrageous in a song.

In the following months, Shaggy tirelessly worked on crafting the catchy melody and playful lyrics that would become his signature hit, "It Wasn't Me." Drawing on the image of Shadow's mysterious antics and the shocked laughter that followed, Shaggy weaved a tale of denial and mischievous escapades.

Released in 2000, "It Wasn't Me" took the world by storm, catapulting Shaggy to international stardom. The song's infectious rhythm, clever wordplay, and Shaggy's distinctive voice resonated with millions, becoming an iconic anthem of the time.

Little did the world know that this chart-topping song owed its inspiration to the mysterious rider from the Crailtap skate team and his audacious act at the Radlands Skatepark. And as for Shadow, he continued to skate in the shadows, leaving an indelible mark on the skateboarding world and forever remaining an enigma in the annals of skate history.

no.

You've clearly never smelled a cauliflower fart.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3316
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2023, 02:12:31 PM »
Hard to imagine anyone would want to hear any kind of story about that stupid, terrible song.

poopnutsupreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2023, 02:30:46 PM »
Edited my post to be clear that I’m not smart enough to write like that lol. ChatGPT wrote that out with just the prompt “create a short story about how the hit song shaggy it wasn't me was influenced by a mysterious rider from crailtap skate team spitting on tom penny in the radlands 92-93 contest”. It’s kinda gnarly how it only took like two seconds to come up with that.
Any dude that hates on roller hockey hasn't played, and likely haven't played a sport in their entire life.

Shitbag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 161
  • A mystery wrapped inside a Twinkie
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2023, 04:56:03 PM »
This story is old as fuck and no one definitely knows who the spitter was?

It was probably the Crail dudes watching Penny casually destroy the place and were like “oh, hometown hero showing up all the pros” kind of thing and were hating super hard on him.

Someone took it a bit too far and spat either on him directly or the area where he was skating, this general story has been floating around for decades and I’m sure some old school British heads can confirm, innit?

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2023, 05:18:03 PM »
did Mike have Kelch backing him up or something?

I don’t reckon Carroll would have fared too well in any sort of fight

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 318
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2023, 05:20:33 PM »
did Mike have Kelch backing him up or something?

I don’t reckon Carroll would have fared too well in any sort of fight

I doubt it. By the time Girl was up and running, Kelch was very deep in his addiction and probably not making much time for himself at all to be a professional skateboarder let alone travel to a contest in Britain

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2023, 05:25:59 PM »
I heard Gavin was a pretty big douche back in the day, maybe it was him?

I have no evidence or proof or anything else to back that it was him other than what I wrote above, just wanted to add fuel to the fire.

HiltonPartinez

• Rep: 63
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2023, 08:07:10 AM »

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 364
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2023, 05:44:20 PM »
It was one the EMB heads but it wasn’t Henry Sanchez. He went out of his way to give him props during both of the Radlands contests.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2023, 06:10:08 PM »
I refuse to believe this story solely on the question of "how the fuck would non-locals get away with spitting on the main local boy, especially in the early 90's?"
I am not sure about the inner workings of early 90's UK skating and how tight-knit the scene was, but I know of other places in Europe where things would get very ugly if something like this happened.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 397
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2023, 06:55:29 AM »
I read it in a local skate zine back in the day, and I'm 99% positive it was Carroll who spat. Not only on Tom, but also on the bank/flat/bank where Tom would land. Carroll couldn't stand that Tom was so good, and he couldn't stand the fact that the crowd was so close. It stressed him out, but he had a pretty good run though ...

Carroll was dissing Tom heavily with Chico.

That was at the 1994 contest, and the EMB-crew was not known for their "amicable" behaviour back then.
Apparently they were shut down a bit by Jeremy Wray.

In 1995 most of the girl/emb dudes were there again and they seemed to have reversed their thoughts on Tom ...

Henry Sanchez was there then as well, and was the complete opposite of the other EMB dudes.
He was giving Tom handshakes, he was psyched and he was hanging with the locals.

At least that's how I remember reading it ... I changed my mind about Chico but Carroll always stayed a bit "strange" to me.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 714
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2023, 07:00:38 AM »
Nice run pretty boy
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Creambetweens

• Rep: 0
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2023, 09:24:18 AM »
Nickel sat on Penny

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 358
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2023, 09:54:09 AM »
It’s so easy to envision Carroll being a petulant little shitbird and doing something this fucking bratty.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1226
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2023, 01:03:31 PM »
one time my kid shat a penny

Malcolm Sex

• Rep: -89
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2023, 01:15:43 PM »
Yeah, it was Carroll. The rest of Girl/Choc were drunk and high too though, and trying to take the piss.

Also, Adam McNatt did a run of just ollies landing to disaster on every obstacle, to try to take the piss out of Tom landing disaster when he backside flipped the 10-foot long 50p box.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2023, 01:18:57 PM »
It's not as bad as the time The Daggers threw jacks into the pool during Corey Websters run.

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 364
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2023, 01:39:06 PM »
Like I said, it wasn’t Henry.  I can tell you who it was, but you can figure out who the culprits were. It’s been stated. You can hear them in the background mocking him. It was was honestly only two EMB heads, in 95 everyone realized.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 01:47:33 PM by Dark Knight »

poopnutsupreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2023, 01:44:15 PM »
Doug brown did it
Any dude that hates on roller hockey hasn't played, and likely haven't played a sport in their entire life.

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 185
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2023, 01:47:50 PM »
you might be cool, but you'll never be 'the emb crew have flown across the world to try and vibe me out in front of the great and the good of the skate industry and i literally haven't even noticed' cool.

he did an ultra-rare fs heel that day on the roll in that was tasty as fuck.

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 185
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2023, 01:49:48 PM »
Yeah, it was Carroll. The rest of Girl/Choc were drunk and high too though, and trying to take the piss.

Also, Adam McNatt did a run of just ollies landing to disaster on every obstacle, to try to take the piss out of Tom landing disaster when he backside flipped the 10-foot long 50p box.

but wouldn't simply backside flipping it himself have been a better way to make the same point? wonder why that didn't occur to him??

quaintly

• Rep: 10
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2023, 02:06:53 PM »
Is cancelling still a thing ?

secretvape

• Rep: -4
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2023, 02:14:17 PM »
Penny is autistic huh?

Malcolm Sex

• Rep: -89
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2023, 02:29:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

but wouldn't simply backside flipping it himself have been a better way to make the same point? wonder why that didn't occur to him??

Nobody else was backside flipping that whole thing longways.

breezy_again

• Rep: 50
  • Positive Energy Activates Constant Elevation
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2023, 07:15:31 PM »
Like I said, it wasn’t Henry.  I can tell you who it was, but you can figure out who the culprits were. It’s been stated. You can hear them in the background mocking him. It was was honestly only two EMB heads, in 95 everyone realized.
name names poosey

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2023, 07:23:13 AM »
I refuse to believe this story solely on the question of "how the fuck would non-locals get away with spitting on the main local boy, especially in the early 90's?"
I am not sure about the inner workings of early 90's UK skating and how tight-knit the scene was, but I know of other places in Europe where things would get very ugly if something like this happened.

American pros could get away with a lot in those days... Europe was still very much a backwater in the skating world. Mike Carrol could spit on somebody's mom and everybody would think it's cool.
similarly this reminds me of the story of Nas and AZ disrespecting NTM (famous old school French rappers) even though they were doing a song together.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 793
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2023, 07:36:49 AM »
I love that people constantly talk about how toxic Slap is, when your favorite pro skaters were flying half way across the world to literally spit on one of the greatest skaters to ever live in his own home park. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower