Author Topic: Trick names  (Read 970 times)

goodatmeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
Trick names
« on: May 27, 2023, 02:41:10 AM »
Where does the name ******** come from???

The one I'm currently thinking about is the feeble grind. Why is it called that? Because it was seen as weak and only happened when people missed 5050s?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Trick names
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2023, 07:22:41 AM »
that's a good question.  I'll try and get to the bottom of it.....it kinda is feeble being that it's between two of the easiest tricks board slide and 50-50...

i swear i saw a caption of dave crabb doing one on a curb and it said grapefruit grind, but it may have actually been some sort of losi type move ie. it was switch?.  If it was, how the hell did he do it on a curb back then, or the caption could have just been wrong....

I've mentioned this before but i always wondered why a manual is called a manual.  The flip team came to my town years ago and I didn't feel like watching what I though was the next Daveed (Curren and Louie), and so I got to talk to Lance and ask him a bunch of questions.

Rolling out and rolling in on four wheels is automatic, rolling out and rolling in on two wheels is manual.  Like a car... of course Neil Blender made it up.....

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2023, 09:35:25 AM »
Manual explanation blew my mind. I never even questioned it. I've only wondered about feebles after finding out that it means something like weak. Before that I probably assumed it was someones name or something like that.

I hope there's gonna be more explanations

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2023, 10:18:06 AM »
that's a good question.  I'll try and get to the bottom of it.....it kinda is feeble being that it's between two of the easiest tricks board slide and 50-50...

i swear i saw a caption of dave crabb doing one on a curb and it said grapefruit grind, but it may have actually been some sort of losi type move ie. it was switch?.  If it was, how the hell did he do it on a curb back then, or the caption could have just been wrong....

I've mentioned this before but i always wondered why a manual is called a manual.  The flip team came to my town years ago and I didn't feel like watching what I though was the next Daveed (Curren and Louie), and so I got to talk to Lance and ask him a bunch of questions.

Rolling out and rolling in on four wheels is automatic, rolling out and rolling in on two wheels is manual.  Like a car... of course Neil Blender made it up.....
I think grapefruit grind is you basically do a frontside lipslide but over rotate so you land in a switch feeble. Possibly they were a bit more lenient with landing in lip and shimmying into the grind back then but I think all those wierd awkward lock in tricks were still pretty common in minis and on curbs at that time

« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 10:34:34 AM by Mean salto »

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2023, 11:40:47 PM »
From wikipedia, with no sources:

"In this move, the back truck grinds a rail while the front truck hangs over the rail's far side. Professional skateboarer Josh Nelson is the inventor of this grind in 1986 at the Del Mar skate ranch in Del Mar, California. The name feeble grind came from Josh Nelson's friend and fellow skateboarder Sean Donnelley. Sean used to call Josh "the feeb" which was short for feeble, because Nelson was so skinny and often had broken limbs and injuries from skateboarding. Many people watched Josh create this unique type of grind on the parking blocks that were mounted in the reservoir at the Del Mar Skate Ranch."

A line or two down are these badboys

"Tractor grind
5-0 Hand Drag with the front hand

Nosegrind hand drag
This trick is a nosegrind while you drag your back hand on the rail/ledge."

Would love to see a tractor grind.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2023, 11:05:11 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I think grapefruit grind is you basically do a frontside lipslide but over rotate so you land in a switch feeble. Possibly they were a bit more lenient with landing in lip and shimmying into the grind back then but I think all those wierd awkward lock in tricks were still pretty common in minis and on curbs at that time

I always heard hurricane stalls as grapefruit

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2023, 07:20:57 AM »

Damn.
This one I have actually wondered about for years and years, the answer is kinda underwhelming.
I was hoping it'd be something more intuitive where you hear it and go "oh yeah! That makes sense!"
But my reaction was more like "oh...yeah...that, uh, I guess that makes sense."

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 174
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2023, 03:27:46 PM »
From wikipedia, with no sources:

"In this move, the back truck grinds a rail while the front truck hangs over the rail's far side. Professional skateboarer Josh Nelson is the inventor of this grind in 1986 at the Del Mar skate ranch in Del Mar, California. The name feeble grind came from Josh Nelson's friend and fellow skateboarder Sean Donnelley. Sean used to call Josh "the feeb" which was short for feeble, because Nelson was so skinny and often had broken limbs and injuries from skateboarding. Many people watched Josh create this unique type of grind on the parking blocks that were mounted in the reservoir at the Del Mar Skate Ranch."

A line or two down are these badboys

"Tractor grind
5-0 Hand Drag with the front hand

Nosegrind hand drag
This trick is a nosegrind while you drag your back hand on the rail/ledge."

Would love to see a tractor grind.

FEEBLE GRIND CHALLENGE FT. JOSH NELSON (Turkey Shoot 2018)
Josh Nelson --the inventor of the feeble-- held a "Feeble grind challenge" at the Krauss Family YMCA Bike and Skatepark in San Diego, California called Turkey Shoot. Witness skateboarders like Josh Nelson, Bryson Farrill, Daniel Cuervo, Matthew  Wilcox, and more destroy the vert ramp and pool in order to claim first!

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2023, 07:09:54 AM »
Kinda wrong topic but is there a backside equivalent to the lien to tail? Whatever it is I want to learn it

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2023, 07:19:54 AM »
Kinda wrong topic but is there a backside equivalent to the lien to tail? Whatever it is I want to learn it

Isn't that a body jar?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2023, 07:24:34 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Isn't that a body jar?

Seems like it, thank you!

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2023, 07:37:08 AM »
No problem.

Just do them like this. Easy right?

Oh how I wish

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2023, 07:42:02 AM »
It's one of my favorite skaters favorite trick! Wow

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2023, 08:50:56 AM »
definitely a body jar, good question why is it called that?

I assume it's the motion but I'm wondering who named it, who did it first?

The one foot version is a Sean Penn.  I have a feeling people had done this trick before it was named that though.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2023, 09:12:32 AM »

The one foot version is a Sean Penn.  I have a feeling people had done this trick before it was named that though.
There was a clip recently(that I unfortunately can't find now) tony hawk talks about inventing and naming the tricks. Sounded like they named them pretty quickly after doing them.
What are the tricks called if you don't go to tail? Do we still say frigid air or is that one that has to be renamed?

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2023, 11:27:01 AM »
What’s the name of the trick where you’re standing with foot on coping, then wrap/whip the board around your other foot, then drop back in?

Looks super fun but without knowing the name I’ve struggled to find videos about it to learn.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2023, 01:59:19 PM »
What’s the name of the trick where you’re standing with foot on coping, then wrap/whip the board around your other foot, then drop back in?

Looks super fun but without knowing the name I’ve struggled to find videos about it to learn.
The can opener?

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2023, 02:02:10 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
The can opener?

Yes!  Thank you.  That’s been bothering me for a while.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2023, 06:43:51 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
There was a clip recently(that I unfortunately can't find now) tony hawk talks about inventing and naming the tricks. Sounded like they named them pretty quickly after doing them.
What are the tricks called if you don't go to tail? Do we still say frigid air or is that one that has to be renamed?

Yeah, it think frigid….but it’s a pun isn’t it?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2023, 07:11:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Lol now looking it up I think the story behind the name I was told is bs and it's not even the trick I was thinking of.

So what's a Madonna but you kick your foot off the toeside (so a frontside judo in tony hawk game terms)

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 501
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2023, 05:53:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
Lol now looking it up I think the story behind the name I was told is bs and it's not even the trick I was thinking of.

So what's a Madonna but you kick your foot off the toeside (so a frontside judo in tony hawk game terms)

FS Judo is what we call them here atleast. Never heard a different name for it.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2023, 12:18:33 AM »
kickflip shud be called a toe flick..heel flip is ok. the heel is used to flick the board. 😄

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2023, 12:58:46 PM »
We all know about the fs overcrook thing, but I just learned bs nosegrinds on transition and now I'm asking, do bs overcrooks exist? Did I just learn nosegrinds or overcrooks? What do you guys call it?
What is a bs nosegrind on a rail? Seems like there only is bs crook and bs overcrook?

It would make more sense to say that nosegrinds don't exist on rails
« Last Edit: July 09, 2023, 01:22:41 PM by goodatmeth »

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2023, 05:51:48 PM »
We'd have to see how you're doing it to say if it's a Nosegrinds or overcrooked.
Nosegrinds exist on rails more than overcrookeds because technically any grind on the front truck is a nosegrind. I think the problem started with the tony hawk games where they needed a trick name for the opposite of the crooked grind.
An overcrooked is just short for Ollie over to crooked but on a round rail its pretty hard to tell if they're grinding the other side of the rail

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2023, 10:47:26 PM »
I think overcrook exists because in the backside form it’s out of the ordinary where as on frontside it’s just not recognizable…..every now and then skaters know better ie….no one ever dared mentioning frontside suski…..

A lot of it was perpetuated by rails needing more tricks because abd was at its height…..

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2023, 09:59:48 AM »
Feeble stalls were called Grapefruits back in the day. Not sure exactly when it crossed over to "feeble" in common parlance, or where grapefruit came from.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2023, 11:31:23 AM »
Feeble stalls were called Grapefruits back in the day. Not sure exactly when it crossed over to "feeble" in common parlance, or where grapefruit came from.

Dang, a name long forgotten. If I remember correctly there was a trick tip sequence in Thrasher calling it a grapefruit to fakie.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2023, 08:20:40 AM »
I spent way too long arguing that the feeble was the grapefruit and not the Dave Crabb switch feel/Losi stall… no one could find any solid evidence either which way….

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2023, 08:40:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

The opposite of a madonna is called a frigid air, because vibes of this shape also used to be called madonna:

Whoever named the pair had some deeper knowledge. Nothin about Madonna and Sean Penn...