Author Topic: Sub $1k camera advice?  (Read 612 times)

overwaxed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 90
Sub $1k camera advice?
« on: June 02, 2023, 11:51:23 AM »
Yo! I've been making some strides into the Chicago skate scene, specifically with the curb heads and want to start making some more serious edits. My first thought is to upgrade to an iPhone 14 Pro Max, and add a magsafe case / moment fisheye lens. But I could justify a separate camera if anything makes sense. I had a fujufilm mirrorless a while back I used for stills and some videos on band tours, and I dig the vibe/form factor - but would it be worth it? Also hella down for used.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 319
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Sub $1k camera advice?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2023, 12:00:24 PM »
Yo! I've been making some strides into the Chicago skate scene, specifically with the curb heads and want to start making some more serious edits. My first thought is to upgrade to an iPhone 14 Pro Max, and add a magsafe case / moment fisheye lens. But I could justify a separate camera if anything makes sense. I had a fujufilm mirrorless a while back I used for stills and some videos on band tours, and I dig the vibe/form factor - but would it be worth it? Also hella down for used.

I would get something used if I were you. Fujifilm makes some dope cameras but I doubt you would find one that is good for video under a grand, they definitely cater mostly to still image type mfs. I would recommend one of the Sony crop sensor cameras, their lower end stuff is usually pretty good for video. Panasonic makes some good ones too.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Thejumpoff

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2023, 09:05:00 AM »

Kinda depends if you want a camcorder or a dslr/mirror less. I have a Sony cx900 which is the poor man’s Sony ax700. The settings are a little weird but with an opteka fisheye it looks great. You can get the whole setup and a cheap mic on eBay for like 600-800

sus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2023, 11:52:35 PM »
if you want to go really cheap and basic, you can get a used Canon t3i for under $200 on mpb.com and pair it with a rokinon 8mm fisheye lens for another $120 or so. The flip out screen on the T3i will make it easy to see what you're filming. Also look into getting a handle along with a mic for audio quality.

If you want to spend a little more and get something kinda fancy, you can snag a used Sony A7S for around $500 on mpb as well and you'll get a full frame mirrorless setup. Add a 12mm rokinon lens to that for around $200 and you'd be pretty set. There's settings on the A7S that'll allow you to see if parts of what you're filming are overexposed, etc. You'll also have an extended ISO range over other cameras so you can film in lower light settings as well.

If you want to get really nerdy, you can film using S-log (same color gamut the primitive filmers use) and learn how to grade in post if you want good colors and don't want a super contrasty image where your highlights are blown out and your shadows are super dark. If you're just looking to film some shit with the homies, i wouldn't worry about any of this

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2023, 12:19:24 AM »
iPhone bro, maybe one of those handles too
Heaps of stuff is filmed with iPhone
listen to cosmic psychos

reptar_bar

• Rep: -7
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2023, 09:24:59 AM »
VX2000 / 2100 from eBay
Raymod fisheye
VX1 Wooden Mic (if you can scoop the first 2 for cheap enough)

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 92
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2023, 04:49:57 AM »
VX2000 / 2100 from eBay
Raymod fisheye
VX1 Wooden Mic (if you can scoop the first 2 for cheap enough)

Just use manual audio on those cams, it's not that bad as some people like to exaggerate. Auto audio? Yes, wack. But adjust it three notches down or up (for long lens) and you're alright.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me