Author Topic: How to prep right angled granite curb?  (Read 552 times)

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
How to prep right angled granite curb?
« on: June 05, 2023, 06:34:48 PM »
Ive been skating rounded red concrete curbs in CA for a while now and i am back east where ive got new parking lots with untouched granite curbing. I dont really know what the fuck to do to get these skateable for slappies. Same rub brick, laquer, wax tech as concrete? Wear down the acute right angle/edge with an angle grinder?

Thanks pals
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Ray C. Usery

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 162
  • My brother Roy is into music
Re: How to prep right angled granite curb?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2023, 09:11:54 PM »
Granit is good to go with no prep, if it doesn't skate well then it probably won't ever skate well.

If you can't skate a square edge then feel free to round it over a little with a diamond grinding stone on an angle grinder or some serious amount of time with a rub brick. Over time from skating it well round over.

You can seal granite as well with a granite sealer in the tile aisle or you can clear coat it.

Granite grinds with no prep unless it's the stuff that doesn't grind then it will never grind (I've only heard of some granites that won't grind or slide I've never encountered them)

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2023, 09:54:06 PM »
Granit is good to go with no prep, if it doesn't skate well then it probably won't ever skate well.

If you can't skate a square edge then feel free to round it over a little with a diamond grinding stone on an angle grinder or some serious amount of time with a rub brick. Over time from skating it well round over.

You can seal granite as well with a granite sealer in the tile aisle or you can clear coat it.

Granite grinds with no prep unless it's the stuff that doesn't grind then it will never grind (I've only heard of some granites that won't grind or slide I've never encountered them)

Ya ive skated the shit outta granite ledges plenty of times, im just thinking the slappy curb mighy be different and def needs a longer break in time than a prepped curb.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2023, 03:18:09 AM »
Eat crust dickwad. Welcome home.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2023, 04:46:20 AM »
Slappying concrete curbs and granite curbs are almost two different disciplines.

I learned them on granite and went through a set of trucks in a half year.

Now I have been on a concrete curb and the trucks have a groove but nowhere near the granite grooves.

Also, I feel like you have to bash into granite much harder to get onto the curb, whereas on those rounded concrete curbs you basically just roll up to in a surfy turn. This results in using a steeper angle for approaching granite than concrete.

Am I rambling or do you have similar experience?
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2023, 06:40:45 AM »
@Sativa Lung

Its a drag when the crust is all brand new and wasnt there 20 years ago but it is still crusty… its like new blacktop everywhere but it was a ghetto blacktop job across the city and will be potholes in 2 winters… gapping potholes again. Yes I

@Easy Slider

Absolutely different disciplines. Rounded curves will make a groove in trucks, these squared cuts are gonna slice thru my Aces like a blowtorch.

Waxed plenty of fresh granite in the late 90s and 00s, but theres got to be a better way!

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • the moon rules
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2023, 08:58:49 AM »
Just wax and grinding. Way back in 2008 I axled a set of trucks within 2 weeks breaking in granite curbs at a school in Massachusetts. I was ollieng it and using them as “training ledges” or some shit. It takes a little bit and they won’t want to grind at first, but grind like nothing else once broken in
fuck you bama

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2023, 09:49:44 AM »
Just wax and grinding. Way back in 2008 I axled a set of trucks within 2 weeks breaking in granite curbs at a school in Massachusetts. I was ollieng it and using them as “training ledges” or some shit. It takes a little bit and they won’t want to grind at first, but grind like nothing else once broken in

Yep. Thats what im thinking. You know the massachusetts drill ha ha ha. There are many, many new granite curbs and knee high blocks riiiiight where I’ll be living, so ive got to get my wax on  ;D ;D

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2023, 10:48:57 AM »

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 162
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2023, 02:05:08 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ya ive skated the shit outta granite ledges plenty of times, im just thinking the slappy curb mighy be different and def needs a longer break in time than a prepped curb.

I've skated more granite curbs then I have ledges, the last granite curbs I skated were in Corktown, Toronto. The streets are lined in them. I didn't have to do anything to them, they were square and a little rough but I would just hit them as I was going on my way. Brick streets too, I had a blast. This was on a fresh complete that I bought at Bluetile and I gave it to a kid at the park before I left. I've been skating SoCal curbs for 40 years and I still suck but sometimes I have my days

MC3

• Rep: 124
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
(Cool Trick GIF)

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2023, 02:32:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I've skated more granite curbs then I have ledges, the last granite curbs I skated were in Corktown, Toronto. The streets are lined in them. I didn't have to do anything to them, they were square and a little rough but I would just hit them as I was going on my way. Brick streets too, I had a blast. This was on a fresh complete that I bought at Bluetile and I gave it to a kid at the park before I left. I've been skating SoCal curbs for 40 years and I still suck but sometimes I have my days

Right on! I love brick streets. Im over thinking it. This was what we skated here as kids.