Author Topic: What was the first show you chose to go to?  (Read 599 times)

friendly dave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 737
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
What was the first show you chose to go to?
« on: June 08, 2023, 01:01:25 AM »
I like to ask this question to old timers at the bar. Not the first show you went to? Maybe you went to Jimmy Buffet or Tom Petty because your parents brought you along. What was the first show you picked to go to?

The last one I got tonight was a guy named Kevin. His first show was Bob Seger, and Styx, plus a few other bands. Pretty sick.

My first one was when I was 12. My mom took me, she's the best. We saw 311, and Fishbone opened. I didn't know Fishbone at the time but they were sick. 311 was fun as hell as well at the time.

What are your stories?
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
Re: What was the first show you chose to go to?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2023, 02:05:28 AM »
Shamefully, lil peep at a warehouse called rhinoceropolis. I was tripping at the skatepark and my homie told me there was a rap show. Somewhere in the industrial area but he didn’t know the address. So we lurked over there and saw a bunch of white goth kids hanging outside of the warehouse. We were thinking, it’s a hip hop show and that’s for sure not the place. So we kept lurking until we heard music. It was coming from the warehouse so we just went in. Nothing but frail kids jumping around and fools shooting up in corners.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2023, 04:35:37 AM »
My buddies and I (12 or 13) saw blink, Jimmy eat world, and Green Day in 2002?…. Not even going to lie…Green Day put on a show… covered a bunch of operation ivy.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2023, 11:30:01 AM »
My dad took me to Bush (-X in Canada as like a 10 year old) when I was a kid (that was on my request). First show I remember going to solo/without a parent was Jurrasic 5 on 4-20 as a 13 year old. Gone to a ton of shows since. First show though I remember paying a ton out of my own pocket after working my first summer job though was buying scalped tickets online of the first Tribe Re-union tour in like 2006/2007. I said for years I needed to see Tribe Called Quest live, but never thought I'd get the opportunity, thankfully they re-united, and I was lucky enough to see them 2 other times after before Phife's unfortunate passing.

Great topic though, curious to see what other Pal's have to say. I find due to skate-videos/edits, skaters really have a very wide taste of favorite types of music and bands.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 147
  • I cut my grip with Occam's razor
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2023, 12:51:06 PM »
Went to warped tour one year just to see MC Chris on a side stage. I tried to get into Dillenger Escape Plan after but couldn't get into them.

HiltonPartinez

• Rep: 63
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2023, 02:21:41 PM »
The first show I ever went to was a match made in heaven. I heard what I needed to hear. I was awash in a foamy bubble bath of foamy sound bubbles. I haven't been the same person since then... for better or for worse.

Dante Bichette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2023, 02:28:45 PM »
Slowthai, 100 gecs, and Brockhampton me and my two friends took a road trip up to DC for it. We went for Slowthai which was kinda stupid since he was one of the openers and only played for like 20 minutes. Completely missed 100 gecs cause we were still in line while they were performing. But Brockhampton put on a good show despite me not caring for their music it was still a really good time.
Can someone explain in Fortnite terms?

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2023, 02:32:36 PM »
Lugnut and NDE at Swapscott Highschool back like 1990?

My first show like where I planned to go show was maybe Green day at Axis.

I was giving perks after for the first time and had sex with a girl named Jen Perez to end my virginity.

I was in love with her friend Noelle.
Jen was ok. She was kinda seen as a miss match for me. So people let me know all the time.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Mr. Pickles

• Rep: 39
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2023, 02:42:23 PM »
Pantera and Anthrax, I was 14 or 15. I wore camo pants.

French manicure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2023, 02:43:24 PM »
Metallica with my dad.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2023, 06:10:54 PM »
I was on and off with someone. She had dumped me a week before over something small, showed up with tequila in hand and all I remember was waking up with tickets to Sacramento City of trees because Blink (w/ Skiba) we’re headlining. She wasn’t able to go and I went with a friend. Almost drowned in the “pit”.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2023, 03:24:19 AM »
Outside of some local metal/punk shows, the first 'big name' show I remember going to see was Lallapalooza '94.  Smashing Pumpkins (who I don't even really remember) and the Beastie Boys (who tore the place to pieces) headlined.  I don't remember all the bands we saw but the ones who stood out were Tribe Called Quest, Parliament Funkadelic, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (whom I had never heard of), the Breeders, L7 and Green Day who were just starting to get popular.

We hung out at the main stage and smoked weed allllll day, but looking at the wikipedia I realize I missed quite a few good bands on the side stages: Guided by Voices, The Verve, Flaming Lips, Pharcyde.  Fucking good times... I am depressed now.

Bill Salt

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2023, 04:11:28 AM »
First real gig I paid for was Suicidal tendencies in 1992

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1062
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2023, 05:36:03 AM »
Outside of some local metal/punk shows, the first 'big name' show I remember going to see was Lallapalooza '94.  Smashing Pumpkins (who I don't even really remember) and the Beastie Boys (who tore the place to pieces) headlined.  I don't remember all the bands we saw but the ones who stood out were Tribe Called Quest, Parliament Funkadelic, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (whom I had never heard of), the Breeders, L7 and Green Day who were just starting to get popular.

We hung out at the main stage and smoked weed allllll day, but looking at the wikipedia I realize I missed quite a few good bands on the side stages: Guided by Voices, The Verve, Flaming Lips, Pharcyde.  Fucking good times... I am depressed now.

I was at that very same show in Philadelphia. Tribe was incredible. I’ve been to a lot of rap shows over the years but they are usually a bit loose. Tribe had their routine down to a T. Beastie Boys were great also and then we left when Smashing Pumpkins came on. Nothing against the Pumpkins, but they couldn’t follow the Beastie Boys.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2023, 07:55:06 AM »
Aside from the punk/house shows my buddies would throw, the first actual show I went to on my own was Citizen Fish and Leftover Crack on their Citizen Fish tour in 2006. Met Dick Lucas and Scott Sturgeon and they were both exactly what I imagine they'd be/smell like.

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2023, 09:56:57 AM »
Saw Dropkick Murphys with my brother and dad on 3/13/2011. Great show and a memory I look back on fondly. They opened with a cover of ‘The boys are back in town’ and ended with ‘Shipping up to Boston’. Got an encore - played ‘Kiss me, I’m shitfaced’ and covered Frank Sinatra’s ‘My Way’. Good times.

Phantasma Del Mar

• Rep: 7
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2023, 03:10:40 PM »

My mom, dad, brother and I went to Boston on the road. Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Amazing Royal Crowns, Bim Skala Bim and Dropkick Murphys. 2 DKM posts in a row!

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2023, 07:34:23 PM »
In early high school the first band I ever went to see outside of seeing something with my parents was Guttermouth haha.. I also saw Blink open for I wanna say mxpx or nofx at the same venue a few weeks later. I was such a little punk fiend.

Full circle a mate and I just last week got tickets to Lagwagon at the end of the year - can’t wait haha

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2023, 10:17:30 PM »

My first one was when I was 12. My mom took me, she's the best. We saw 311, and Fishbone opened. I didn't know Fishbone at the time but they were sick. 311 was fun as hell as well at the time.

What are your stories?

That's crazy! I'm pretty sure the first show I ever went to was on this same tour! It was their "homecoming" show at Pershing in Lincoln. I remember Nick Hexum was wearing an Ahman Green jersey, and I think that might have been the last season that the Huskers were any good. I was definitely into them because my cousins were into them. Soon after I started skating and found out about good music.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2023, 04:12:11 AM »
i'm fairly sure it was arlo guthrie with my dad and his mate, otherwise it was suicidal tendencies - both of those events were close together - i remember finding it really hard to see anyone before i was 18 in australia (at least the artists i wanted to see, otherwise i would've seen danzig a few years earlier)
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 92
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2023, 06:07:31 AM »
Been going to gigs on and off since '04, but I started going to a lot when I turned 15 in 2010. First I got tickets for was Sepultura in Cardiff and it was fucking loud.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2023, 06:48:54 PM »
Pennywise.  I’ll never forget the floor changing on a dime when the show started. First main floor show I’d ever been to, my buddy told me it was gonna get live. Didn’t know what to expect, but he wasn’t wrong. Full pit, temps shoot through the roof, fucking insanity.

Not A Damn Chance

• Rep: 92
  • Banned from Slam
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2023, 07:21:50 PM »
Built to Spill

Logic

• Rep: 35
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2023, 07:24:29 PM »
First gig was Iron Maiden, but got invited to that one. First one I actually went out of my way to go to was Between the buried and me.

d.passarella

• Rep: 0
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2023, 11:45:28 AM »
g

JRF

• Rep: 145
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2023, 12:54:02 AM »
The dead milkmen

1989. Portland Oregon
//////////

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2023, 03:11:37 PM »
my first concert i went to by choice was the roots, supported by lone catalysts and k-otix at the time. it was fucking sick. i was 15 or 16 i think? must have been late 2000 or 2001.

Haze

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2023, 03:29:13 PM »
First show was a homie that I skated with invited me to Dinosaur Jr. with Built to Spill at
Terminal 5, NYC.

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2023, 09:38:32 PM »
I was fortunate to have the "cool mom" when I was growing up. She cut a deal with me, I would go with her to see Los Tigres Del Norte, she would then take me to see Sonic Youth. August 23, 2002 in Del Mar, CA. I was 14, summer before high school. Have to say, Tigres put on a great show. Sonic Youth, well, they blew me away. Great Set.

Here's their setlist. https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/sonic-youth/2002/del-mar-racetrack-del-mar-ca-3d92de7.html