Author Topic: vegan recipes  (Read 1682 times)

hayduke lives

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 40
Re: vegan recipes
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2022, 06:48:46 PM »
https://katu.com/amp/amnw/am-northwest-cooking-recipes/milk-street-turkish-red-lentil-soup
this is a quick and simple go to for me. just swap butter with evoo. great with garlic bread.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 10:21:45 AM by hayduke lives »

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2022, 07:09:48 PM »
I make this smoothie almost everyday.
2 servings of frozen berry mix
Spinach(swapped out with other greens here and there)
1 tomato
carrots
chia seeds
unsweetened almond milk.

When I'm in a hurry and need a bite to eat quick I put hummus on a tortilla and add broccoli and a chopped up tomato.

I cook some random stir-fry type things with tofu, but I have issues with cooking my tofu.  Going to spend more time squeezing the water out and going to try air frying it next time.

Ewwwww tomato yuck. Chia seeds sound so gnarly post smoothie when you're washing dishes.

I run a similar smoothie with only spin and kale as greens and i add some orgain protein.

Recently made this and added some kale too. Pretty fire. ⬇️

https://vegnews.com/2021/9/vegan-spinach-chickpea-lemon-pilaf

bellalawren

• Rep: 0
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2023, 06:37:26 AM »
One fantastic suggestion to elevate your vegan culinary experience is to consider using garlic bread as a flavorful and satisfying side dish. Its aromatic and savory profile pairs wonderfully with a variety of vegan dishes, adding an extra layer of taste and texture to your meal.

For a delightful twist, you can create a vegan-friendly garlic bread by using plant-based butter or olive oil infused with minced garlic and a sprinkle of herbs like parsley or thyme. This not only complements the richness of your chosen vegan recipes but also introduces a burst of savory goodness.

In addition, homemade banana chips could be an option. If you're curious about how to make banana chips in air fryer, it's surprisingly easy and adds a delightful crunchy element to your vegan repertoire.

To make banana chips in an air fryer, start by slicing ripe bananas into thin, uniform pieces. In a bowl, toss the banana slices with a touch of lemon juice to prevent browning. Then, arrange the slices in a single layer in the air fryer basket, making sure they're not overlapping. Air fry at a moderate temperature (around 325°F or 160°C) for about 10-15 minutes, flipping the slices halfway through for even crispiness.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 02:42:41 AM by bellalawren »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2023, 08:49:45 AM »
re tofu: a lot of people freeze it, and then let it defrost and pat it dry, then air fry it.  I get firm, press it usually while I'm pre, prepping everything else, pat it dry with a tea towel, then air fry it or bake it.

https://minimalistbaker.com/italian-herb-crispy-baked-tofu/

https://minimalistbaker.com/almond-butter-tofu-stir-fry

these are my go to tofu recipes.....

the italian one, I put into salads and the almond butter one (I use peanut butter) I put over rice....sometimes with a side of kimchi and greens. 

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1099
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2023, 09:58:55 AM »
re tofu: a lot of people freeze it, and then let it defrost and pat it dry, then air fry it.  I get firm, press it usually while I'm pre, prepping everything else, pat it dry with a tea towel, then air fry it or bake it.

https://minimalistbaker.com/italian-herb-crispy-baked-tofu/

https://minimalistbaker.com/almond-butter-tofu-stir-fry

these are my go to tofu recipes.....

the italian one, I put into salads and the almond butter one (I use peanut butter) I put over rice....sometimes with a side of kimchi and greens.

username checks out
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

yghartsyrt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2023, 10:32:46 AM »
vegan carbonara:
Use a mixture of baked butternut squash, vegetable stock and kala namak together with smoked tofu as a substitute for the egg/guanciale/pecorino sauce of the non-vegan version.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2023, 10:55:15 AM »
something else that I've changed is making my own almond/oat milk.  Saves a ton of tetra packs and prolly a bit cheaper.  get a used vitamix, cheese cloth, a couple big empty glass jars.  Soak maybe like 12 almonds over night in couple litres of water.  Blend up the water and almonds for a few seconds, then add in like a half cup of oats, let it go for a couple more seconds.  The pour the whole mixture into the cheese cloth and over the jars. 

I do almond/oat because it's cheaper than just doing almond, but I suspect you could do this with a lot of different grains/nuts. 

I am a full blown adult now and so I willingly will let chores run my life, this may be one of them.....come to think of it, the entire plant based lifestyle, may be nothing more than more rules I need in my life.....that short window between : 'I'm an adult, I can eat anything I want!', to : 'I'm an adult, I most definitely cannot eat whatever I want!'

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2023, 11:37:46 AM »
Paprika/peppers are an awesome vegetable and I eat them a lot by slicing them longitudinally and then just use them as spoons for homemade hummus (from one tin can of chickpeas). Very easy to prepare with an immersion blender. I'm experimenting now with making hummus from beans, just to mix it up a bit.

I also make vegan bolognese with soy chunks a lot and it is also very easy to make. Butter squash risotto is also one of my staples lately.

I would like to get a good routine going, where I could reliably take care of sprouts (you have to rinse them twice per day AFAIK).

My wife is now afraid of gluten and carbs, so she's making our cooking a lot harder now. Hopefully, she returns to normal after some time, since restricting yourself only leads to more cravings.

sharkjumper

• Rep: 40
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2023, 11:10:40 PM »
I still make some recipes from the veganomicon cookbook. It has a good Shepards pie recipe and great cornmeal blueberry pancakes. That author does this website too. https://www.theppk.com/recipes/
The cookbook recipes often take longer than described.

My go to for tofu is pan fried with soy sauce and coated with nutritional yeast. Using a non-stick or well seasoned cast iron, fry with some oil until tofu is crispy on the outside, good splash of soy sauce, turn off heat, let some soy sauce cook away, then put a healthy scoop of nutritional yeast into the pan and toss around. Should coat the tofu nicely.
You can cut pan frying time (or pressing time) by baking tofu first.

GS77

• Rep: 94
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2023, 11:26:44 AM »
Any body use Chia seed on the daily? My wife has been adding it to her water for years and after a 3 PM Thanksgiving I was hungry around 10 PM but didn’t want to eat. I drank 2 tsp worth and filled up. Woke up today and my stomach felt great. Thinking of adding to applesauce on the daily. Any recipes or usage instructions?

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2023, 03:59:34 AM »
Combine it with some non-dairy milk to make a "pudding" or add it to smoothies after you blended them to thicken them up and make them even healthier (and more filling). I wanted to add them to my morning oatmeal, but that is a strange combo.

GS77

• Rep: 94
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2023, 07:42:00 AM »
Thanks. I like the idea of a pudding add in. I recently found a coconut yogurt that is very nice but not as thick as regular yogurt. Adding to that yogurt may work nicely.

Oatmeal may be overkill as it’s a pretty heavy meal to begin, but it would add additional protein. With raisins and cinnamon you probably wouldn’t notice the seed add.

Rusty Shackleford

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • you know about goretex?
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2023, 10:02:56 AM »
https://youtu.be/6C9TS1SeM9k?si=5R2EOqY2oig6GG3P
our typical go-to for holiday meals is using this base for the brisket. turns out damn fine! prep takes awhile but I highly reccomend giving it a whirl.