Author Topic: Nollie FS 180  (Read 772 times)

bob george

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
Nollie FS 180
« on: July 15, 2023, 01:32:46 AM »
just wondering if anyone has any magical tips for doing these well?

I can do them, but they are probably my weakest basic trick. For context, I think I skate flatground pretty well - i can do most nollie flip tricks fairly well in like 5 or less goes, can nollie up things/down things and over things, nollie back 180 is obviously easy, i can even do nollie fs 360s pretty nicely but whenever i do a nollie front 180 they are sketchy as hell.

i have ebbed back and forth between standing in a toe-y nollie flip-ish (which is how my nollie fs 360s work) and another position which is like having most of my back foot across the board (not quite in a nollie heel position - but close).

i can do pretty nice nollie front heels but letting go off the board to me makes it easier. definitely cannot do nollie fs flips - the ones i have a scraped away from have been ghosty no pop weirdos.

i tried for a while to do sort of late 180s on them and they were better when they worked but it seemed like to much energy output for what should essentially be a half cab.

anyone who has these and nollie fs flips sorted please explain these seemingly basic manoeuvres.

thanks in advance and sorry if this reads terribly.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
Re: Nollie FS 180
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2023, 02:05:56 AM »
No tips from me, just jumping on the bandwagon. 9 out of 10 times I get ghost pop on these and I don‘t know how to fix it.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

changed1

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2023, 06:40:35 AM »
I wind up my shoulders a little bit and just focus on doing a perfect nollie and that seems to work great. I also make sure to pop it with my toes. This seems to keep it glued to the feet and I rarely get ghost pop. I also like to scoop the pop through my body a little bit but I do that for every 180 variation.

Nollie fs flip is such an impressive trick. I’ll never understand how Dylan had them so good

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2023, 08:20:07 AM »
pop off the front pocket, push it in front of you and just pop for the 90, not the 180.  If there's any a trick which is easy to over do it's this one.....it's pretty much a 90 degree nollie.  Not quite the same but same idea is how a half cab you pretty much just have to look over your back shoulder and it'll go.....

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -298
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2023, 09:44:10 AM »
Watch Jake Johnson

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2023, 05:26:43 PM »
This is one of my favorite tricks and I actually learned them because one time I bought a board with an absurdly big nose and it just clicked. Done right the landing should feel exactly like a front 180. I personally like to do like j soy says and do like a 90 degree nollie, then pivot the last half. I think it looks better. I can pop the whole way in the air but the landing gets squirrelly.

My advice is keep your weight back and keep the board in front of you. No need for a big wind up and just pop with the ball of your foot.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2023, 05:42:49 PM »
Start turning at the beginning of the 180 and finish turning at the end of it. In other words, turn slowly and make sure to get a good high pop.

Also, it's a really wide rotation, not a quick, narrow one.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2023, 10:04:26 PM by ChuckRamone »

corto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • Chewy, Worrest, Trahan, Tuna, Hjalte, TJ
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2023, 01:42:03 PM »
Use your rear leg side core muscles to glue your pelvis on your back leg as if you had scholiosis to that side. Keep it as tightly glued to the leg as you possibly can during the whole trick. Your body will want to "switch to your front leg" during the rotation and especially the landing but don't let that happen. Force yourself to stay completely on your back leg (becomes front leg when you land).

Also just before you pop lift pronounsedly your rear leg knee and pop only with your front leg. The lifting of the knee is to avoid ghost pop, to make sure your tail hits the ground solid.

In my opinion that's it.

When you first learn to skate regular, you get used to having your pelvis more over your front leg than your back leg. That's what makes frontside nollies and landing frontside flips on flat feel so awkward.

mfweeno

• Rep: 29
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2023, 02:43:26 PM »
These have started clicking for me lately.

After you pop your nollie, focus on lifting the non-popping foot up towards your waist (towards the apex of the nollie) as you start rotating. This will allow you to guide the rest of your turn with the non-popping foot, which will bring your hips around when you land.

The previously mentioned tip about trying to rotate 90 degrees versus the full 180 helps me aim for my non-popping foot. I then try to finish the rest of the rotation by bringing that foot around to the front.

Doing a lot of half-cabs and trying to replicate that feel in the nollie position was helpful too.

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2023, 03:27:25 PM »
front foot in the pocket, barley wind your shoulders and pop forward not down

2:35   

just watch this on slow mo a few times

bob george

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2023, 01:48:14 AM »
thank you all! i haven't had a roll since i posted this - i will try everything and hope to see some improvement - like i said, i can do them, they're just most of the time pretty out of control feeling and whack. the point about focusing on the back leg is an interesting one and something i don't believe i've been conscious of while trying to do them better.

the ave clip is a pretty perfect study of a flat ground nollie 180. it's just such a sick basic no flip or shove trick. anyway thank you everybody again and i'll see how i go. cheers

Suangi

• Rep: 9
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2023, 03:56:57 AM »
It's funny, I have a really good nollie front 180 but the worst half cabs. Like people are saying here sometimes they ghost pop or the timing is way off.

Anything nollie for me is really easy for some reason. Feel like I am skating the wrong way round.

You would think you can just apply what you know in reverse but sadly not the case

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2023, 06:25:04 AM »
Since those were brought up: I find 360 nollie (frontside) almost feels like a different trick, because then you get to throw yourself into an actual spin and use that momentum for the nollie itself as soon as you pop (and then a lot is toe action like OP said), but proper frontside nollies do not stabilize the same way. The parallel with halfcabs is the more actual ollie business in the trick the better and so that is the part one should focus on with the 180 coming in almost as an actual afterthought, you pop and extend the trick and only then you turn as the movement's continuation, you basically prolong your motion into a 180, you don't aim for turning as soon as you pop. I think it's reasonable to differenciate two types of frontside nollies, the one that basically is an enhanced pivot over the front truck or popped g-turn (whatever that might mean) which comes naturally (e.g. out of nosewheelie) and the one that is a legitimate straight nollie except at the very last moment it's not. Weight distribution then varies accordingly and one has to adjust until they find their own comfortable happy medium.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2023, 05:07:05 PM »
I managed to do like 15 solid ones in a row last night, properly popped. I look forward to them being more of a second nature feeling, cause i'm thinking and concentrating a lot to make them good.

That AVE clip from the DC Video part and focusing on the back leg helped a lot.

So to me it's standing pretty much like a straight nollie (front foot kind of pockety and back foot just even distributed across the board) , let your shoulders get to 90 degrees before you pop, try to just pop a nice nollie, sucking it up with the back leg as much as you can. And yeah, then you just kind of land fully 180'd and with no pivot.

Still not perfect, but probably the most nice ones I've ever done on flat.

Thanks for the help

LebowskisRug

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2023, 05:33:17 PM »
I'm pretty solid at these. My advice is to:

1. Turn slightly heelside before popping and:
2. Turn your shoulders before you pop.
3. When you pop push forward with your front in the initial pop.
4. Lift your front foot faster than you think you need to.
5. It's hard to over rotate these so I never worry about that.
6. Lift and slide your rear foot and think about quickly bringing your front foot level with your rear.

My setup is front foot a bit more towards the middle than nollie bs 180s, front foot is decently deep towards the pocket. This is preference but gives me a much stronger pop. If I don't push forward AND lift my front foot fast enough I might air foot a bit.

OneMore

• Rep: -3
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2023, 10:17:27 PM »
I lean back a fair amount before popping.