Author Topic: My park is under an overpass. A lot of pigeon mess. Best way to clean up?  (Read 628 times)

thetrashisright

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
Anyone run into this sort of issue? Trying to figure out a minimal-equipment cleaning setup that I may also be able to just leave there. I feel like just bringing a gallon of water would just sort of smear it around but I can't reasonably bring a whole mop and bucket setup and leave it there. It's a dense and busy part of the city and all that. The pigeons really know how to drop it right where you're gonna be coming off the quarter or trying to pick up some speed through.

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
bring a spade/shovel with a completely flat end and scrape it off, then either get a stiff-bristled broom and sweep it or bring a wind blower thing . the shit they use for leafs
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1482
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Don’t get meningitis from the abundance of bird feces.

https://www.cdc.gov/meningitis/fungal.html

thetrashisright

Don’t get meningitis from the abundance of bird feces.

https://www.cdc.gov/meningitis/fungal.html

Oh for sure, part of why I want to clean it up. I'd be going at this with a mask, I've been in industrial and custodial settings before. I also clean my board/wheels down with alcohol after skating there. I already am risking all sorts of respiratory issues from the overpass itself, but I also am not there all day every day or anything.

thetrashisright

bring a spade/shovel with a completely flat end and scrape it off, then either get a stiff-bristled broom and sweep it or bring a wind blower thing . the shit they use for leafs

Thanks, I think bringing something handheld that is flat (hell, even a big putty scraper), dispose of the significant mess and go from there is probably the way to go. Problem with anyone bigger/equipment is this is just going to happen every time I visit and I have to go via train so that's a whole thing. But yeah, just doing it more mechanically makes sense.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
Put some bird spikes over the key areas you want clean?

Streebo

• Rep: -31
Paint over the poop

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1482
  • Illusion Flip
Thanks for suggesting this. I was thinking about this, too, but I don’t know how accessible the area over that park might be. Sounds like a necessity for this.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 718
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
Logan, huh?
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
Try and make peace with the lonely old lady who keeps feeding them….

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 165
  • My brother Roy is into music
Get a predatory bird to move in. An Osprey keeps the seagulls and pigeons away at my work

Coat the guano with a spray detergent, it's not for cleaning it's for keeping the dust down so you don't breath anything that could hurt you like a fungus. Simple green, 401 or a couple of drops of dish soap in a spray bottle.

Rent a boom lift and coat all resting spots with a gel, pigeons hate sticky feet

Get a cat

thetrashisright

I would almost certainly be caught and arrested under suspicion on terrorist activity, given that it is a highway leading onto the Brooklyn and Manhattan bridge. I am actually certified to use a cherry picker but I would probably be discouraged from driving it into the park. I do acknowledge it is otherwise the most-likely-to-work solution ultimately. Ive seen the use of tight nets also to just cover the whole area.

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
  • The mistery of shadows
May provide some inspiration: https://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Pigeons

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 212
  • Precision Posture
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 967
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
Can you torch it? Does poop burn away. If so id just do that and sweep away the ash.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 588
Can you torch it? Does poop burn away. If so id just do that and sweep away the ash.

But then you’d be inhaling dookie smoke
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
I wonder if those creepy plastic owls they sell at hardware stores actually work?
Maybe buy a few of those?

lulz

• Rep: 50
Get a predatory bird to move in. An Osprey keeps the seagulls and pigeons away at my work

Coat the guano with a spray detergent, it's not for cleaning it's for keeping the dust down so you don't breath anything that could hurt you like a fungus. Simple green, 401 or a couple of drops of dish soap in a spray bottle.

Have you talk to the parks department? They should be quite interested in keeping it clean. Histoplasmosis is real.🙂

Fasttimes

• Rep: -32
Anyone run into this sort of issue? Trying to figure out a minimal-equipment cleaning setup that I may also be able to just leave there. I feel like just bringing a gallon of water would just sort of smear it around but I can't reasonably bring a whole mop and bucket setup and leave it there. It's a dense and busy part of the city and all that. The pigeons really know how to drop it right where you're gonna be coming off the quarter or trying to pick up some speed through.

You can look up predatory bird sounds, jam that on an old boom box. In Pennsylvania all the garden centers do it so they don't get shit in product. Youtube or Spotify something you can Bluetooth even. Good luck. Don't eat the white one. . . .

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1597
  • Overweight and Underprepared
If the park is a DIY, then I think the recommendations above are not half bad. If it is a city sanctioned skate park, I recommend getting the city involved in some way, shape, or form. It is a public health issue. It might require some fundraising from the community though.

Ideally, in the case it is a city sanctioned park, they'd modify the existing structures to prevent the pigeons from returning and then just power wash/pressure wash the bejeezus out of everything. 

EDIT: It could be a worthwhile story to pitch to the local newspaper to bring attention to the issue if the city are being jerks.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2024, 03:37:38 PM by pugmaster »
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

marcusbutler

• Rep: 39
BB Gun
We rode 7.5's" and didn't complain.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 588
IIRC, credit goes to layzieyez on this, but after scraping up the main offenders, you could sanitize the surfaces with a dilute bleach or ~70% isopropanol solution using one of those pesticide/fertilizer pump sprayer things you can get from a hardware store.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.