Author Topic: [Project/Help] Building the Most Comprehensive Modern Era Skater Roster  (Read 760 times)

chapulana

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -3
Hey there!

I have been way off the skateboarding loop since the mid/late aughts, but I recently rediscovered some of the passion it once wakened on me. That said, I'm nothing more than just a fool who got hooked on Tony Hawk Pro Skater and later enjoyed the following versions and other alternatives such as Skate.

I have always believed in videogames as learning tools, even more when it comes to sports, and also as great archives of snapshots of different points in the evolution of them. Obviously, it's not the same split, say, basketball teams into seasons than it is to split tennis players into eras, let alone skaters with this sport being a really blurry mix of what we call "sport/numbers game" and just pure artistry/style.

However, there is still room to build a roster full of characters that have defines the skateboarding landscape over the last 30 years, aka the Modern Era, aka the Post X-Games years, and that's pretty much what I'd love to do with this little project, and for what I would love to have y'all contributing names that you think really defined and were talked about/discussed/hyped yearly from the 90s to the 2020s, so we can craft a large and comprehensive list of skaters worth knowing about by everyone interested in learning more about the sport.

One simple way could be just using your memory. If you remember a name, that's probably because it meant something to the evolution of the sport or brought something to the equation in unique ways. Another way could be checking lists published in the past, for example nominees for the Skater of the Year (SOTY) Award handed out by Thrasher. On and on.

By comprehensive I don't mean to include the pal from your street corner, but the more skaters we can add with some worldwide recognition back when they were at their peak and also in terms of the legacy they built, the better.

Feel free to contribute what you want and can. You might an expert with vast knowledge of the last 30 years of skateboarding in full, or maybe you only know those super active and important from 2020 on. That's cool! I encourage you to add the names here anyway!

I will try to put together some sort of spreadsheet in order to build the timeline and split it into some eras, if we can up with something like that, or any other idea you have. I was also thinking about making some sort visual map of how the sport has evolved, with overlapping lines of the periods each skater was active, etc.

I think this could make for interesting conversation and a fun project overall. Feel free to join the discussion and contribute something!

TL;DR: Which skaters defined each year/era of the skateboarding landscape from 1995 through 2023? Drop the names!

chapulana

This thread on SLAP boards could be an interesting starting point, although it'd be great if anyone could share the full nominee/candidates list for each of the years if possible. That would already build a hella strong list of influential skaters over the last 30 years.

Thrasher Magazine Skater of the Year winners 1990 - 2020
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=119637.0

ThomasShitt

cheetah sheets

BigMurf

Todd Falcon

doublesteveburger

Adam Dyet, Lil Schmatty, Ben Fisher

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
Well hey there!

I totally understand your passion for skateboarding and the nostalgia it brings. It's incredible how video games like Tony Hawk Pro Skater and Skate can be both enjoyable and educational, providing snapshots of the sport's evolution over the years. I'd love to help you create a comprehensive list of skaters who have defined the skateboarding landscape from the '90s to the 2020s, the Modern Era.

Here are some names of my favorite influential skaters that have left their mark on the sport during different years/eras:

1995: Kasper (RIPx2)
1999: Otto Rocket
2000: Maurice "Twister" Rodriguez
2001: Regina "Reggie" Rocket (Leader of a new generation of women skaters)
2003: Jimmy Wilson (Peak year)
2004: Dustin Knight (Rookie year)
2009: Derrick Cabrera (Participated in the NAC)
2012: Lil Rob

This is just a starting point, and I encourage others to contribute their knowledge to build a more extensive and diverse roster of influential skaters. Their impact on the sport and the legacy they've created are worth acknowledging and sharing with others interested in skateboarding.

Your idea of creating a visual map or spreadsheet to track the skaters' timelines and split them into different eras sounds fantastic. It could provide an exciting way to visualize how the sport has evolved over the years.

I hope others join the discussion and share their input on skaters who have defined skateboarding during each year/era from 1995 to 2023. Let's make this project engaging and informative for all skateboarding enthusiasts out there!

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
Aaron Artis

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2209
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
Gotta throw in Gary Headlock
 (sp?) as the dude who served as the fire under the ass of Dennis Busenitz.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
gareth stehr

chapulana

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3330
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
Any list sans Jedi...could it even be a list?

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 405
Steven Borra and Rob "Ridiculousness" Dyrdek

sloppyslappies

• Rep: 10
larry perkins 2012

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 771
austin seaholm
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
it's been over for the last 4 years, there are no skaters anymore, you're wasting your time, move on