Author Topic: Indy Stage 4 truck  (Read 8882 times)

KGB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Indy Stage 4 truck
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2023, 07:43:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I am not an indy fan. I’ve just never really been stoked on them, but have wanted to like them at many different times (Drake Jones made everything look cool). The trucks always felt too heavy for me. Later on, I came to dislike the hellride stuff. Just weird jock shit that seemed …at best, not cool.

These reissues are sick. Rolling them out with shops first, instead of going directly to the ‘fun factory’ is also a step in a direction I’d like to support from a corp. that has flirted with being a toy company, more than a a company that works with skateshops.

My favorite indys, and I’ve lost track of the stages: trades my ultralights for some 146s? 156s? Late 80s. I think of these ones the most often. As mentioned above, the metal was better. The kingpin clearance was bizarre. Negative clearance. I gave my Scott Oster complete with these to a classmate that needed a board when we all started skating again in 93-94. I had some with black baseplate raw hanger, was whenever Western Edition got distribution, maybe very early 2000s? Not sure on the stage/size. I bent the axle to an unskateable degree. Looked so sick tho with small wheels. And made me feel like I was going to learn crooked grinds in the streets. Did not.

Blaaaah blah old blah.

I’m pretty locked into what I ride now, but the 136s turn my head. They look cool. The sizing is also nice
[close]

I felt the same way, as NHS these days kind of reminds me of what vision was in the 80s.  Any licensing deal in the world just to make more money. 

When I clicked on the find a store button on the NHS website to find a set of these on skate shop day, it lists a bunch of local Tillys and Zumiez stores.  And one core shop.  I dunno, in my view sending these out to Tillys and Zumiez at all the local malls feels like a “fuck you” to actual shops.
[close]

There are no Zumiez shops listed on the shop list and a whole bunch of real skate shops. What list are you looking at?
[close]

They specifically said the new Stage 4 trucks will only be available in skate shops from Skate Shop Day, no where else.

That might have been the overall list for stockists for the rest of their products, like Santa Cruz completes...

For once NHS does seem to be doing the right thing by skate shops, or at least trying to help core shops, as a lot of people always talk about them just being all about money, etc.
Sure and the day after skate shop day they will be in zumiez.  don’t front.

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2023, 07:51:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I am not an indy fan. I’ve just never really been stoked on them, but have wanted to like them at many different times (Drake Jones made everything look cool). The trucks always felt too heavy for me. Later on, I came to dislike the hellride stuff. Just weird jock shit that seemed …at best, not cool.

These reissues are sick. Rolling them out with shops first, instead of going directly to the ‘fun factory’ is also a step in a direction I’d like to support from a corp. that has flirted with being a toy company, more than a a company that works with skateshops.

My favorite indys, and I’ve lost track of the stages: trades my ultralights for some 146s? 156s? Late 80s. I think of these ones the most often. As mentioned above, the metal was better. The kingpin clearance was bizarre. Negative clearance. I gave my Scott Oster complete with these to a classmate that needed a board when we all started skating again in 93-94. I had some with black baseplate raw hanger, was whenever Western Edition got distribution, maybe very early 2000s? Not sure on the stage/size. I bent the axle to an unskateable degree. Looked so sick tho with small wheels. And made me feel like I was going to learn crooked grinds in the streets. Did not.

Blaaaah blah old blah.

I’m pretty locked into what I ride now, but the 136s turn my head. They look cool. The sizing is also nice
[close]

I felt the same way, as NHS these days kind of reminds me of what vision was in the 80s.  Any licensing deal in the world just to make more money. 

When I clicked on the find a store button on the NHS website to find a set of these on skate shop day, it lists a bunch of local Tillys and Zumiez stores.  And one core shop.  I dunno, in my view sending these out to Tillys and Zumiez at all the local malls feels like a “fuck you” to actual shops.
[close]

There are no Zumiez shops listed on the shop list and a whole bunch of real skate shops. What list are you looking at?
[close]

They specifically said the new Stage 4 trucks will only be available in skate shops from Skate Shop Day, no where else.

That might have been the overall list for stockists for the rest of their products, like Santa Cruz completes...

For once NHS does seem to be doing the right thing by skate shops, or at least trying to help core shops, as a lot of people always talk about them just being all about money, etc.
[close]

Ha yeah, who knows.

What was it they said they won't be online until a while later though?

Either way, it is not going to change anything for me.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1223
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2023, 08:34:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Who gives a fuck
[close]

“It’s the best turn ever if I cut the bushings and modify it” lol  what are you people slalom kings ???
exactly. “Built to grind, turn on a dime” reallt hit the fan hard 😭😭😭

stringsnthings

• Rep: -48
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2023, 09:35:47 PM »
It’s nerf or nothing for me, mane.

I'm more a Hasbro Mane Myself. Miss you bud.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 848
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2023, 10:23:22 PM »
It's going to be hilarious when these come out and everyone goes out to nostalgia buys them and then realizes "ohhh so that's why they changed this 7 iterations ago".

As someone who's invested hundreds into trying various old indys but doesn't have a nostalgic attachment to them, there's nothing special about them. I bought into the hype but there isn't some magic metal that grinds better and they definitely don't turn better than a stage XI. Much worse actually. They're heavy, have zero kp clearance, and they broke all the time because they had numerous design flaws and poor qc. If they really want to give us the classic indy feel then the axles better start slipping after a few months.

My best guess is this ends up just as much of an awful, untested, unnecessary mess of a truck as the mids.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2023, 04:07:16 AM »
My best guess is this ends up just as much of an awful, untested, unnecessary mess of a truck as the mids.

my opinion too

- look we have a new truck, the Indy Mid with an inverted kingpin!
- but IKPs just don't work in the long run
- whatever we need to push new & revolutionary products with ideas from the past that were dismissed
- it will collect dust on the shelves
- weeee here's Stage IV

Diamond_Dallas_Pudge

• Rep: -46
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2023, 04:27:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

my opinion too

- look we have a new truck, the Indy Mid with an inverted kingpin!
- but IKPs just don't work in the long run
- whatever we need to push new & revolutionary products with ideas from the past that were dismissed
- it will collect dust on the shelves
- weeee here's Stage IV

I 100% agree about that inverted kingpin. I had the same reaction to those coming back as I did seeing these kids wearing JNCOS last year.

"We tried that 20 years ago and they were fucked"

These stage 4s look good and there so close to ACE I'll deff be grabbing some ASAP

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 783
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2023, 05:29:55 AM »
I bought into the hype but there isn't some magic metal that grinds better and they definitely don't turn better than a stage XI. \

it is very different turn if you're referring to the 'new' Stage 4s. Some people will be very excited. Others will not.

IpathCats

« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2023, 09:13:37 AM »
It's going to be hilarious when these come out and everyone goes out to nostalgia buys them and then realizes "ohhh so that's why they changed this 7 iterations ago".

Well, as ace stealing their old design has shown us, there is def some interest in the older stuff.

I do still find this funny though, the thought of someone uninformed picking these up looking for the next thing in cutting edge truck tech is pretty hilarious.

Pooh Drunx

• Rep: -61
« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2023, 09:24:50 AM »
At 43, I'll have the same pair of thunders until my knees turn to dust

same here.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2023, 02:11:39 PM »
Is it true that you can use the inverted baseplate with the new stage 4?

I tried this, and I like it. I’m not sure how close the geometries are to each other, but with the inverted kingpin baseplates they still turn very well. I suppose I’ll know whether or not it truly works or doesn’t work is if the pivot cup shows abnormal wear after some time. The only difference that I can pick up so far is that they are slightly higher. I’ll post an update after a bit with a more in depth opinion of this. Here’s a photo of stage fours with the IKP baseplate as well as stock next to each other to show the difference in height and kingpin clearance.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

KILLEDTHEPOOL

• Rep: 17
  • I'm not a player I just throw up a lot.
« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2023, 09:11:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Blaaaah blah old blah.

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I feel like anybody who shops at zumiez would have no interest in these whatsoever. they all skate ventures or some such garbage. I also have never been to a zumiez and have no idea what I'm talking about.
Ⓐ//Ⓔskate fast or d̶o̶n̶t̶ DIE!

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2023, 09:11:14 PM »
Is it weird that I’ve never known what stage Indy’s I’m riding? I don’t even know now

KILLEDTHEPOOL

« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2023, 08:38:18 AM »
Is it weird that I’ve never known what stage Indy’s I’m riding? I don’t even know now

they're XIs if you bought them in the last couple years

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2023, 04:43:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Pretty funny to think that Stage IX / Stage 11 have been out for 11 years now.

The easiest way to tell is this:

New with no cross at all on the baseplate (from 2020 to present) are Stage 11

Double lined cross / cross in circle  on the baseplate are older (from 2012 - 2020) also Stage 11

Single lined cross, older again (from 2009 - 2012) are Stage 10 if they are a solid baseplate

Single lined cross, also older again (from 2003 to 2009) are Stage 9 if they have the baseplate with two holes in the middle

Anything past that is usually going to be very old, crusty, very chunky in shape and would be an earlier stage, but I am guessing most people would have Stage 11, maybe 10 or some 9s now.

What width are they, or what size board are you running them on?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2023, 06:25:01 PM »
Never forget the Stage 10 Mk II

KILLEDTHEPOOL

« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2023, 04:39:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Pretty funny to think that Stage IX / Stage 11 have been out for 11 years now.

The easiest way to tell is this:

New with no cross at all on the baseplate (from 2020 to present) are Stage 11

Double lined cross / cross in circle  on the baseplate are older (from 2012 - 2020) also Stage 11

Single lined cross, older again (from 2009 - 2012) are Stage 10 if they are a solid baseplate

Single lined cross, also older again (from 2003 to 2009) are Stage 9 if they have the baseplate with two holes in the middle

Anything past that is usually going to be very old, crusty, very chunky in shape and would be an earlier stage, but I am guessing most people would have Stage 11, maybe 10 or some 9s now.

What width are they, or what size board are you running them on?

damn that's crazy, I thought the 11s were fairly new. shows how long it's been since I bought a set of trucks. I don't remember having any of the axle slip issues everyone keeps going on about, maybe cus I skate tranny mostly?

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #77 on: July 31, 2023, 04:46:31 AM »
If the axles are still straight then you're probably not riding stage 9s

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #78 on: July 31, 2023, 04:53:15 PM »

Was that the first version of the forged baseplates, or am I thinking of something else?

For anyone that rode wider than 139s, the Stage 9 to 10 initial runs were still the big old clunky hangers, but then they finally narrowed down the hangers to match the smaller trucks, maybe in the year just before the Stage 11 came out, or something like that.

I was still on 139s for my normal boards but had a few wider boards set up with older trucks back then, so I didn't really notice the change until later when I was getting a lot more old trucks from people selling / trading them.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #79 on: August 01, 2023, 07:56:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Was that the first version of the forged baseplates, or am I thinking of something else?

For anyone that rode wider than 139s, the Stage 9 to 10 initial runs were still the big old clunky hangers, but then they finally narrowed down the hangers to match the smaller trucks, maybe in the year just before the Stage 11 came out, or something like that.

I was still on 139s for my normal boards but had a few wider boards set up with older trucks back then, so I didn't really notice the change until later when I was getting a lot more old trucks from people selling / trading them.

Honestly I can't remember much. I know they seemed to turn better than 10s and I know they cleaned up the yoke a bit so the washers didn't bind any more "No Hang up yolk." They also reintroduced 159s at about this time and shortly after revealed that these were actually the new Stage 11s...