Author Topic: Footage String Outs: An editing technique I learned,that can work for skate...  (Read 578 times)

suckmadeck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 28
 videos that I have implemented into my work flow, and you could too for big skate edits/videos)

A useful workflow when editing a documentary is to create string outs of all your rushes. Say you have footage shot on Day1, you'd create a timeline of everything you shot. In that timeline you'd put all the cutaways, interviews and anything else shot on that day in there. That way if you need to find a certain shot from a certain day, you can quickly scrub through a timeline instead of clicking on hundreds if not thousands of little file names and scrubbing through them individually. This way you can speed up the editing process.

I thought that I could implement this into a skate video/edit workflow.

This is how it goes for me:

1: After I get home from shooting, I'll immediately start capturing my tapes/transferring my media over to the computer
2: I open up Premiere Pro (or whatever you use to edit) and immediately create a bin with the date at it's name, like this "280723"

3: I then drag all the footage from that day into the bin. I then create a timeline and organise the footage from makes to b-roll. That way I can quickly jump to makes. I also do this by timecode where possible so that the beginning of the timeline should be the earliest make/b-roll I shot. Usually that means if I need b-roll of someone after a make chances are the clips will line up in the order of their section

4: I will then export a low res video of all the makes and upload them privately to YouTube so that the skaters once they're done burning one off and have settled in at home can watch the days clips, and start thinking on what they can do to improve, things they'd like to re-do or just inspire new ideas.

And that's basically it. I will then refer to those dated bins for my footage and if I need to rename the files within the software, I will.

Of course renaming files makes it easier to see the trick in the bins, but for someone like me where words simply start making no sense after staring at a monitor for hours, having something visual to stare makes life a ton easier.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 501
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
Makes for a nice, clear workflow.  Good one.  Only improvement is your date system should start with the year, month then day.  Makes it much easier for your brain to decode on the fly as you're not reading new numbers up front all the time, but mainly when you hit sort, it'll sort by year, month then day if you have years or months worth of clips.  I use it across all my video & music projects.

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
great organization technique

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
I read this last year and have subconciously migrated to this exact workflow over time. It rocks.

As an added benefit, instead of low-res stringouts, export in decent quality and upload to youtube. That way you have all of your days logged and backed up to youtube, and in case of a hard drive or laptop meltdown you have full quality backups of only the best of each day's footage.

As i play through the clips, I've also started doing lands/a-roll in Video Track 1 and b-roll in track 2 so it's even easier to find the lands.

Also a BIG +1 to this comment:

Only improvement is your date system should start with the year, month then day.  Makes it much easier for your brain to decode on the fly as you're not reading new numbers up front all the time, but mainly when you hit sort, it'll sort by year, month then day if you have years or months worth of clips.  I use it across all my video & music projects.

this practice has changed my life

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 501
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
I read this last year and have subconciously migrated to this exact workflow over time. It rocks.

As an added benefit, instead of low-res stringouts, export in decent quality and upload to youtube. That way you have all of your days logged and backed up to youtube, and in case of a hard drive or laptop meltdown you have full quality backups of only the best of each day's footage.

As i play through the clips, I've also started doing lands/a-roll in Video Track 1 and b-roll in track 2 so it's even easier to find the lands.

Also a BIG +1 to this comment:

Expand Quote
Only improvement is your date system should start with the year, month then day.  Makes it much easier for your brain to decode on the fly as you're not reading new numbers up front all the time, but mainly when you hit sort, it'll sort by year, month then day if you have years or months worth of clips.  I use it across all my video & music projects.
[close]

this practice has changed my life

So funny was reading this thread and getting ready to do the post that I had already previously done lol.  Glad it helps!

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
It helps a ton!

Also, one more tip on the topic of clip management, an epiphany I just had... Just format your card after you dump it to your computer so it is clean. I used to dump the footage and film until the card gets full, but It gets too confusing when you have too many sessions worth of stuff on a single card.