Author Topic: Trucks bending one way  (Read 757 times)

srfoden

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Trucks bending one way
« on: July 31, 2023, 10:05:10 AM »
So do any of you have a problem where your board always bends to the heel side or toe side whenever you ride it even if you’re completely balanced in the center as much as possible? I have always had the problem and I don’t think it’s possible for your board to be perfect, but my board usually bends toward the toe side (when riding regular) but every once in a while it will start bending toward the heel side. Does anyone know what causes this and how I can control which side my board naturally bends toward? Also idk if I explained this right so sorry if it’s confusing.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
Re: Trucks bending one way
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2023, 02:45:13 AM »
Most likely it's the bushings in your trucks are worn out a bit you can try rotating them 90' (so what is now the left and right sides becomes the front and back) or if you can see clearly they're worn out unevenly try sand them a bit or get new bushings.Then next most likely is pivot cups could be worn out might have to replace them. then a bent axle or warped board but those don't happen too often.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2023, 04:22:05 AM »
I always got that so much, for me it's always the pivot cups. As a kid I had no idea and would just switch my front and back trucks whenever they started feeling too off and the issue would resolve itself in what at the time felt a short time, but you might as well trust the twelve-year-old I was on that.

These days, unless it gets really bad I don't really think about it and have learned to sort of realign my trucks in the moment just with little cruising techniques, the right movement can alleviate or correct the issue for a bit until your trucks hit something again, but it's micro levels of detail and feeling; in my situation the correct carve, firm powerslide or no-pop nollie (especially those) in response to the deriviation will make sure I'm going perfectly straight whenever I need to, even if that means just for the current line and that is the habit I've developed to deal with it on the daily. Only when even that stops working usually is when I'll consider replacing or fixing my stuff.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 789
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2023, 07:55:08 AM »
Super common. Don't worry about it. If its a major concern get new softer bushings and/ or ride looser trucks.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2023, 08:43:20 AM »
Time for new bushings

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2023, 09:48:06 AM »
or baseplate not straight. like what the prof did to Ben Degros trucks

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2023, 11:15:37 AM »
my explanation / theory / experience for the most part I find this happens more on tight trucks I havent really had this happen to me in a long time. I am pretty mental about riding my board in all different stances and shit though.

but the lean is why you see nyjah do that thing where he like kicks down on the wheel before each try, because when you wheelbite on tight trucks from a huge impact it creams the bushings and makes em lean to one way.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2023, 11:29:52 AM »
This happens to me but I think it's from my bloated corpse constantly bashing into the same shitty noseslides every day. My rear truck is silent but my front truck makes the most heinous creaking sounds. Worse than the squeakiest bushings you've heard. I even waxed every part of them and the pivot cup the other day only for it to melt away and sound even worse after a couple days. Of course the shit veers off in one direction too but the nyjah stomp seems like a temporary quick fix.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2023, 12:30:33 PM »
thats why i go mental with trying to do a lot of switch noseslides and slappys to try and even it out a little, i understand not everyone can do em though. i still end up with a lopsided board anyway. i even skate the board backwards and flip the trucks around.

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2023, 06:05:42 AM »
I recently replaced my pivot cups (we call them pivies here in Australia) and it made the board "bend" to one side.  I skate my trucks with equal tightness and therefore rotate them every time I set up a freshy (this is what we call a new deck here) and after the last rotation they eventually evened out.

good luck and have fun.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2023, 10:05:28 AM »
When I switched to conical bushings ie. bones, I didn't' have this problem.  I think if you wax all your shit so it's running a smooth as possible, it's less likely to happen.  ie. brand new it happens the most, once broken in, should be fine.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2023, 05:23:01 PM »
So do any of you have a problem where your board always bends to the heel side or toe side whenever you ride it even if you’re completely balanced in the center as much as possible? I have always had the problem and I don’t think it’s possible for your board to be perfect, but my board usually bends toward the toe side (when riding regular) but every once in a while it will start bending toward the heel side. Does anyone know what causes this and how I can control which side my board naturally bends toward? Also idk if I explained this right so sorry if it’s confusing.

What trucks do you have, what bushings in those trucks and then how much (if any) do you tighten them down or change things with the bushings?

I think others have pretty much covered it, but I think these answers will shed some light on why your board does what it does.

It is not always just a "check this" or "change that" situation and can often be a combination of a few things, but more often than not, landing too hard on one side, will make the trucks lean to that side until you land more on the other side to even it up, eg always doing pop shovits and landing heel heavy on your board with the tail in the front will now make your board turn to your toe side when you ride it forwards again as usual, or certain other harder landings that can make the bushings compress to a certain side, also more often than not on newer or unbroken in bushings, or bushings that are tightened down a little too much and have little to no rebound back to center.

Some bushings in general just don't bounce back and will continue to have the same issues for as long as you skate them, which can be very frustrating, to say the least.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 846
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2023, 02:16:05 AM »
This happens to me but I think it's from my bloated corpse constantly bashing into the same shitty noseslides every day. My rear truck is silent but my front truck makes the most heinous creaking sounds. Worse than the squeakiest bushings you've heard. I even waxed every part of them and the pivot cup the other day only for it to melt away and sound even worse after a couple days. Of course the shit veers off in one direction too but the nyjah stomp seems like a temporary quick fix.

Automotive grease. A little goes a long way. Works better and lasts much longer than wax, though if you skate something dusty and hot it can gum up and then you have to clean and reapply. Or just get riptide or khiro soft (if you can find them) pivot cups and that fixes it too.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2023, 04:13:40 AM »
I probably need a new front pivot cup as it's getting all loose and I had to tighten the front truck down since it wobbles around in the hole. But that's a good idea thanks!

Bongwater Mojito

• Rep: 62
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2023, 05:57:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Automotive grease. A little goes a long way. Works better and lasts much longer than wax, though if you skate something dusty and hot it can gum up and then you have to clean and reapply. Or just get riptide or khiro soft (if you can find them) pivot cups and that fixes it too.

https://www.formulacrc.com/crc-silicone-grease-tube-75ml/