Author Topic: How did the "core" skateboarding world at the time react to the first 900?  (Read 2953 times)

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
Sorry for half-ironically using the term "core", but you get what I'm saying.

I was watching an old 411VM and noticed that they had the 900 in the intro segment.

https://youtu.be/sjWviUqwAdw?t=180

It made me start to wonder about how Thrasher and all the other mags reacted to the 900? How did they view the X-Games back in 1999? How did they view Tony Hawk before and directly after the 900?

Sorry if there has already been a topic on this, I could not find one.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

PatrickSkateman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -226
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
People thought it was sick.

When the X Games was in Philly, a few of us took a break from skating downtown and watched the Vert competition at the Wachovia Center.

Also, Thrasher was pretty wack in the late 90’s. Transworld and Strength were the better magazines then.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Fakie backsideflip

• Rep: -16

I was watching an old 411VM and noticed that they had the 900 in the intro segment.

It made me start to wonder about how Thrasher and all the other mags reacted to the 900? How did they view the X-Games back in 1999? How did they view Tony Hawk before and directly after the 900?

Theres a whole scandal that tony hawk stole the 900 from underneath  tas papas at the x games , that tony somehow prevented him from competing in the best trick contest.
Tas had been working on the 900 before tony tried at other events and stuff too so I don’t know if that qualifies as stealing a trick . But I think there’s a documentary on tas and this exact situation on tube or something . I think we should give it a watch
« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 08:45:07 PM by Fakie backsideflip »

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
Expand Quote

[close]

They’re a whole scandal that tony hawk stole the 900 from underneath  tas papas at the x games , that tony somehow didn’t let him compete in the best trick contest.
Tas had been working on the 900 before tony but tas from what I remember was like one of those poor bastards who end up on the rough side of life so the credibility is kinda so so . I think there’s a doc on it on tubi or something . Probably going to give it a watch now

pretty sure tony said he was spinning 9s and trying them in the late 80s, and then consistently trying them throughout the 90s. the 900 was supposed to be his last trick for the end but he couldn't get it. a few guys were working on 900s throughout the 90s, not just tas or tony. danny way put 4 wheels down on one in an h street video iircc.

WPG

• Rep: -5
Expand Quote

[close]

Theres a whole scandal that tony hawk stole the 900 from underneath  tas papas at the x games , that tony somehow prevented him from competing in the best trick contest.
Tas had been working on the 900 before tony tried at other events and stuff too so I don’t know if that qualifies as stealing a trick . But I think there’s a documentary on tas and this exact situation on tube or something . I think we should give it a watch

Danny almost landed it in like 1989, many dudes were trying it for a decade! The claim Tas would've magically landed it on the night Tony is so tinfoil hat goofy. Globe (Tas sponsor) was running contests tours to land the 900 and he didn't do it. Why didn't he do it in an of the 10 years before? Or in practice? Or at a contest HIS SPONSOR put on specifically for him to land it? ESPN only wanted 5 skaters for best trick, The skaters were picked before the contest but Tas finished 8th at the Xgames that year. Only people who's only info on it is Tas bias doc think this

Not even the biggest Birdman fan, Burnquist is clear. But the Tony stole it from Tas theory is too easy to poke holes in
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

Fakie backsideflip

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

They’re a whole scandal that tony hawk stole the 900 from underneath  tas papas at the x games , that tony somehow didn’t let him compete in the best trick contest.
Tas had been working on the 900 before tony but tas from what I remember was like one of those poor bastards who end up on the rough side of life so the credibility is kinda so so . I think there’s a doc on it on tubi or something . Probably going to give it a watch now
[close]

pretty sure tony said he was spinning 9s and trying them in the late 80s, and then consistently trying them throughout the 90s. the 900 was supposed to be his last trick for the end but he couldn't get it. a few guys were working on 900s throughout the 90s, not just tas or tony. danny way put 4 wheels down on one in an h street video iircc.

Yeah I don’t know the history well I’m just recalling something I read when I was like 14 , a 900 seems like a trick thats inevitable it doesn’t belong to anyone it’s the first man to reach it that counts , Danny pretty much took in tas didn’t he I’m sure they tried them together .

Fakie backsideflip

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Danny almost landed it in like 1989, many dudes were trying it for a decade! The claim Tas would've magically landed it on the night Tony is so tinfoil hat goofy. Globe (Tas sponsor) was running contests tours to land the 900 and he didn't do it. Why didn't he do it in an of the 10 years before? Or in practice? Or at a contest HIS SPONSOR put on specifically for him to land it? ESPN only wanted 5 skaters for best trick, The skaters were picked before the contest but Tas finished 8th at the Xgames that year. Only people who's only info on it is Tas bias doc think this

Not even the biggest Birdman fan, Burnquist is clear. But the Tony stole it from Tas theory is too easy to poke holes in

Yeah by no means am I siding with tas , the whole thing reads as salty he didn’t get it first . I just had to bring it up lol

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -306
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Expand Quote

[close]

That doc is worth a watch. Its a feel good story about overcoming adversity and rising to the top of the skate game.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
I can't believe this happened nearly 25 years ago. When did we all get old?

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 66
Oh, it was in this clip:

I actually really enjoy this clip, the way they talk about it, and the lore of it. I was always confused why everyone made it about the trick. He says Hawk studied his work, but seemed to take more issue with the contest situation. I understood it as Hawk (and his brand) stole "the moment" more so than stole "the trick". I mean if everybody knew Tas was on of the dudes aiming to do it (ex. @1:37) then it sucks that they didn't let him participate. Who knows? If Tas was allowed to compete side by side with the Hawk-man, maybe it would have ruined the moment in some way, since everyone was gathered around in spirit & support for Hawk. Must of have been so devastating for Tas to stand there on the ramp while the world celebrated a monumental star-making performance.

But also in the doc, it implicates Hawk as competitive adversary in general:

It all makes me think of Max Schaaf's take in his epicly later'd on vert skating from this era having ruined the appeal of vert. It did really seem like something cool, rather than a polished, nascar-like exhibition.

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 57
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
https://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2015/06/22/did-tony-hawk-steal-the-900/

^ I wonder how it feels to have an article by Jenkem debunk your whole documentary.

My favourite part about the ‘controversy’ is that Tas is so damn sure that had he been chosen to be in it, he would have actually landed it on the world stage and not just been another pro bailing a 900 at a contest…

håkanhellström

• Rep: -48
The more interesting question is that how did the "core" react hawk mans videogame when it come out

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1294
i was wearing lee pipes and a quicksilver shirt watching this shit on espn

core strength

manysnakes

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Tony stealing the 900 from Tas is one of those things you say when you want to seem like you can talk about skating but don’t actually know anything. It’s Reddit-tier lore.

There also seems to be the tacit implication that, if Tas had landed the 9 first, he would have got the Tony Hawk success with the Bagel Bites deal and a video game, rather than just spending his proceeds on cocaine and the trick itself being mostly lost to history.

The 900 mattered because Tony Hawk landed it first, and everyone likes Tony. Even Danny Way or Burnquist pulling it off would have had a fraction of the cultural impact.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2023, 06:45:55 AM by manysnakes »

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 558
I was certainly unaware of the Tas controversy at the time and for a long time after.

What a sour grapes-ass dude. Acting like mcsqueeb had put a bike lock on every vert ramp ever. Nick Jedi has far more credible complaints about Tony.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1010
  • the moon rules

^ I wonder how it feels to have an article by Jenkem debunk your whole documentary.

My favourite part about the ‘controversy’ is that Tas is so damn sure that had he been chosen to be in it, he would have actually landed it on the world stage and not just been another pro bailing a 900 at a contest…
If Tas Pappas could read he'd be pretty upset at this
fuck you bama

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 895

I'm not sure I even registered it. Maybe I have seen an alien before but the concept is so 'alien' to my reality I probably didn't recognize what was before me.

When Tony did the 9, I was probably thinking, "Where is Danny Sargent and why do people make fun of me for still doing slappies?"

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -75
All my friends and I thought it was pretty sick. We weren't really into vert but you had to respect it.

McBrandt

• Rep: -14
I didn't watch the best trick contest when it aired, but I remember him landing the 9 made a lot of mainstream news, at least the main ESPN news shows. For some reason I thought he'd already done it or it wasn't that big a deal or something.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
All my friends and I thought it was pretty sick. We weren't really into vert but you had to respect it.
This. Plus he’d teased landing it in The End so we were kind of curious if he’d actually done it. It was a big deal.

I don’t remember the Pappas brothers claims, I couldn’t have cared less about those dudes or most other very skaters.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -226
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
I had only heard about the Tas Pappas thing from that interlude in The Reason with the “look out for me” kid talking to the camera at the back door of the tour van.

2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 558

LebowskisRug

I was there and didn't care about vert orther than maybe Bob or Colin's clips here or there and you couldn't deny that it was amazing. Not only had people been trying it for years, he tried it a bunch of times that night and everyone seemed generally excited. It seemed to breathe a bit of new life into vert/big ramp skating. Anyone I ever heard talk about it did so in a neutral to positive manner.

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
It all makes me think of Max Schaaf's take in his epicly later'd on vert skating from this era having ruined the appeal of vert. It did really seem like something cool, rather than a polished, nascar-like exhibition.

Yeah, it was awesome how Tony was given extra time after the competition was "over" to try to pull it off. And every competitor was cheering for him to "beat" them. That is what skateboarding is about. Fuck the "rules" of the competition, lets make history.

If I recall they might have done something similar with Shaun White attempting the 1080.

Shit would never happen in modern X-Games or Street League or Olympics unless it was meticulously pre-approved and advertised as such ahead of time.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, it was awesome how Tony was given extra time after the competition was "over" to try to pull it off. And every competitor was cheering for him to "beat" them. That is what skateboarding is about. Fuck the "rules" of the competition, lets make history.

If I recall they might have done something similar with Shaun White attempting the 1080.

Shit would never happen in modern X-Games or Street League or Olympics unless it was meticulously pre-approved and advertised as such ahead of time.

Yeah, good point. It's also kind of like when P-Rod landed "the nac". I was in tears, too. I'd have to go back back and watch the Schaaf comments. Maybe he meant it more for everyday skaters and participation, since street mostly took over at some point.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal

Nah, in fairness to Pappas to his documentary was definitely about a whole lot more than a claim about a vert trick. It was a powerful portrait of his and his brother's lives. 

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1610
Contests didn’t get much coverage less the European or Slam City Jam….it was just another lane.  It was a bigger deal in mainstream media for sure. 

Here’s the covers : 

https://www.thrashermagazine.com/component/coversarchive/covers/#1999

In core media people weren’t mad at him though, Birdhouse was a legit company.  He was pretty well respected but skaters like  Rowley or whatever were what everyone cared about….,

No great hot takes here but everyone is well on their way….

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
Sanch: "I didn't think it was all that impressive compared to what I saw Tas doing".

What, not landing it?
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

lurkluke

• Rep: 232
Contests didn’t get much coverage less the European or Slam City Jam….it was just another lane.  It was a bigger deal in mainstream media for sure. 

Here’s the covers : 

https://www.thrashermagazine.com/component/coversarchive/covers/#1999

In core media people weren’t mad at him though, Birdhouse was a legit company.  He was pretty well respected but skaters like  Rowley or whatever were what everyone cared about….,

No great hot takes here but everyone is well on their way….

Jan 2000 it was on the cover though (just a mention but prominent). Diff contest.. which is kinda weird?

Terminal

The more interesting question is that how did the "core" react hawk mans videogame when it come out
I'm more of a kook than core, but to this day I haven't played a skateboarding video game. Thought is was wack then, still think it's wack now. Why would I sit in front of a TV and simulate something I can actually go and learn to do?