Author Topic: Best surface for outdoor miniramp.  (Read 1290 times)

Ankle_Lift

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 79
Best surface for outdoor miniramp.
« on: August 02, 2023, 11:59:57 AM »
Hey Pals.

I'm looking for suggestions for the best surface to put on the mini ramp I built a few years ago.
The ramp isn't covered, and I live in BC, (Canada) so it gets  covered in snow in the winter. The climate gere is also fairly mild for Canada, so we get snow, then it'll melt a bit, then get more snow, and hover around 0°C.

Right now I have Masonite as a top sheet, but it still got wet under a tarp I put on it all winter and it starts lifting up and curling, so it's basically unskatable until I top sheet it again.

I talked to a dude from (I think) Ultimate Distribution in Vancouver, and he said skatelite is awesome and it holds up well outside, but I don't really believe him that it will survive winter. I'm sure skatelite works awesome on ramps outside in California but it doesn't get as wet down there. It's also expensive, but if it actually does hold up to moisture and the elements, I wouldn't be against getting it.

What are my options? Anyone have any suggestions?

I feel like I might have to just resurface it with Masonite every year or take off the top sheet and store the Masonite off the ramp each winter.

YMCMB

• Rep: 50
Re: Best surface for outdoor miniramp.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2023, 02:34:04 PM »
Hey Pals.

I'm looking for suggestions for the best surface to put on the mini ramp I built a few years ago.
The ramp isn't covered, and I live in BC, (Canada) so it gets  covered in snow in the winter. The climate gere is also fairly mild for Canada, so we get snow, then it'll melt a bit, then get more snow, and hover around 0°C.

Right now I have Masonite as a top sheet, but it still got wet under a tarp I put on it all winter and it starts lifting up and curling, so it's basically unskatable until I top sheet it again.

I talked to a dude from (I think) Ultimate Distribution in Vancouver, and he said skatelite is awesome and it holds up well outside, but I don't really believe him that it will survive winter. I'm sure skatelite works awesome on ramps outside in California but it doesn't get as wet down there. It's also expensive, but if it actually does hold up to moisture and the elements, I wouldn't be against getting it.

I feel like I might have to just resurface it with Masonite every year or take off the top sheet and store the Masonite off the ramp each winter.

Not to be negative but Ultimate sells Skatelite, so I don't think they would be the most unbiased.
Personally I've heard better things about Gator Skins, but I haven't tried it.

Ankle_Lift

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2023, 03:23:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Hey Pals.

[close]

Not to be negative but Ultimate sells Skatelite, so I don't think they would be the most unbiased.
Personally I've heard better things about Gator Skins, but I haven't tried it.

Never heard of gatorskins. Cheaper than skatelite, but not sure if it's easy to get shipped to Canada, probably not, nothing ever is cheap or easy to get shipped up here.

Maybe I'll buy one of those carport tent things and attach tarps to the side of it or something when I resurface it.

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 174
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2023, 04:35:28 PM »
There are reports from Minnesota of people trying cement/fiber board, the type of stuff you would use under ceramic tile for the bathroom. At $80usd+ a sheet the price is pretty close to skatelite and gator.

The way you get skatelite or gatorskins cheap around here is if someone is resheeting their mega ramp or TF and you buy their old stuff. I would check the greater BC area and see if anyone is resheeting their mega for the winter, there might be someone in Kitwanga or Kamloops with a TF or outdoor park. You never know there might be someone in Lac la Hache, Lone Butte, or Dawson Creek

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2023, 02:37:14 PM »
I’ve been skating a ramp that has some Gatorskin on it. They said it’s about 4 years old seems to be going strong(it’s in an orchard in Nor Cal so it sees rain and triple digit summers). I will say that it’s sticky, like so much that I don’t really try any reverts on it(f4 99 fwiw) and the green turns everything it comes in contact with green as well.
My old ramp I did masonite with the screw holes painted with clear caulk as well as the edges, then painted bottom side and top with 3 layers of clear oil based Varathane. That held up for 2-3 years uncovered in Nor Cal. As long as you re clear it every year or keep it covered when not in use it’ll probably last longer. Clear got sun baked and I wasn’t going to sand & reclear it so I just resurfaced it.
Tarps work but if it gets hot and really sunny then they’ll deteriorate fairly quick.
Oh, if you go Varathane route be warned it’s icy slick for about a week after then it mellows out to about the same as regular masonite.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2023, 10:51:36 PM »
My friend has the skatelite stuff from PQ…I can’t remember what it’s called but it has held up and a bit cheaper.  I know someone who had skatelite for like 5 years in Vancouver….he had to tarp it really well with airflow but it lasted…

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2023, 09:06:19 AM »
Ramp armor, gator skins or metal. Metal is bad about condensation though…

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2023, 10:02:18 AM »
i'm thinking pacnortwest....metal would suck...

skippersoldballs

• Rep: 72
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2023, 06:07:55 PM »
Gatorskins are good, and grip well for a non concrete surface when damp

Ankle_Lift

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2023, 09:14:42 AM »
there might be someone in Kitwanga or Kamloops with a TF or outdoor park. You never know there might be someone in Lac la Hache, Lone Butte, or Dawson Creek

Unless you know anyone out there, I doubt Kitwanga has anyone with wooden ramps.

Thanks for all the suggestions, fellas! I had never heard of gatorskins but I'll try to track some down in Canada.

pool coping

• Rep: -63
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2023, 07:56:10 AM »
skatelite is super slippery in my experience. gator skins is grippy to the point where it's somewhat difficult to do tailslides but definitely feels safer than skatelite. not sure about durability in the snow though.

Ankle_Lift

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2023, 07:45:47 PM »
skatelite is super slippery in my experience. gator skins is grippy to the point where it's somewhat difficult to do tailslides but definitely feels safer than skatelite. not sure about durability in the snow though.

Once I resurface the ramp with gatorskins or skatelite, I will definitely develop some sort of system to keep it dry.

Maybe use a roll of moisture barrier and tape it down in multiple layers for the winter. I don't know.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2023, 11:09:03 PM »
Puresurface I think is the brand I was nattering on about.

The method I saw someone use was putting down pallets to create airflow then tarping….

sharkjumper

• Rep: 40
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2023, 09:56:21 PM »
Skatelite and gatorskin will both work well. I had a ramp in Portland for years with skatelite and it held up well. Never covered. The skatelite went on to another ramp. Some of the plywood forms rotted a bit though from moisture.
You can treat your plywood layers. There are some marine grade sealants. Or marine grade plywood. You can also use roofing paper between your plywood and top layer.
If you use Masonite, you’ll replace that after every winter.
You can do a quick cost break down of Masonite resheeting every year vs. the cost of skatelite/gatorskin.

Crailslideyoface

• Rep: 38
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2023, 12:58:58 PM »
My buddy used skatelite and then painted it to make it a little grippier. Has lasted a really long time
I wanna crap in a box just to mail it to you so your bitch ass can smell it

Ankle_Lift

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2023, 06:51:28 PM »
Skatelite and gatorskin will both work well. I had a ramp in Portland for years with skatelite and it held up well. Never covered. The skatelite went on to another ramp. Some of the plywood forms rotted a bit though from moisture.
You can treat your plywood layers. There are some marine grade sealants. Or marine grade plywood. You can also use roofing paper between your plywood and top layer.
You can do a quick cost break down of Masonite resheeting every year vs. the cost of skatelite/gatorskin.

Excellent advice. I assume portland is a bit like Vancouver weather? Constant drizzle and wet?

My problem is the snow in the winter and the freeze thaw cycle, but if that stuff handles wet PNW winters, it sounds good!!

sharkjumper

• Rep: 40
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2023, 12:07:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Excellent advice. I assume portland is a bit like Vancouver weather? Constant drizzle and wet?

My problem is the snow in the winter and the freeze thaw cycle, but if that stuff handles wet PNW winters, it sounds good!!

Yeah, very similar weather to Vancouver.
With skatelite/gatorskin/similar your top layer is going to last many years.
I highly advise to seal or paint any plywood under that top layer.
Definitely still put a tarp on it in the winter. All the wood will be better with that.
Should be noted too that your ramp will do better raised off the ground. On cinder blocks or something similar.
When it snows it’d be a good idea to brush or shovel snow off your tarp. Melting snow is going to leach water any where it can.
And as for the freezing and thawing- make sure your top layer has 1/8 of an inch or so spacing at the seams. Don’t butt them up tight! That top layer will need room to move a little as everything expands and contracts. Get some shims and use those as you sheet it.
Hope that helps. Always down to spread ramp building knowledge.