Author Topic: What time do you skate ?  (Read 2321 times)

FrenchSkater

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 28
What time do you skate ?
« on: August 11, 2023, 07:48:18 AM »
Hello everyone !

I often ask myself this question, but, you Americans, what time do you skate? I wonder because here in France, I know that in summer often the oldest skate late at night (around 5 p.m. / 6 p.m. or more) and the young people manage to skate under a bright sun, which is impossible for me. .

I wonder if for example, the west climate in the United States (Example, Los Angeles) , skaters often skate in the middle of the afternoon or late haha ​​I seem to see a lot of pros not taking into account the heat and skating in the middle of the afternoon noon .. Maybe I'm looking for an excuse to wait until late afternoon / early evening to skate haha

It may be in my head, but I'm in much better shape and I do my tricks much better during golden hour! In the middle of the afternoon I have a lot of trouble skating. Who is like me ? Or maybe the climate of the United States is easier to bear, since it is often sunny...

mfweeno

• Rep: 29
Re: What time do you skate ?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2023, 12:35:15 PM »
American here in the deep south.

My preferred time to skate is actually in the morning, typically around 7-8 am. It has taken some adjusting to, but I can typically wake up, drink some coffee, and head out for 1.5-2 hours in the morning to start my day off.

Weather-wise, the morning offers cooler temperatures and the sunlight isn't as bright as mid-day/afternoon hours. The park/spot is also usually pretty empty at that time of day which is a nice perk.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 212
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2023, 12:53:28 PM »
From the American PNW here

I usually take a 20 min cruiser session on my lunch break, anywhere from 1130-1pm, but that's about all I can take in the midday. I'm off at 430 and it's still a bit too hot in the summer, maybe another hour or so. If I don't have a session on the way home, I'll often wait till the little one is asleep and have a late skate about ~8/9pm.

Weekends are never the same, cause I've got father duties and it's too hot to bring my son with me. Weekend routine will probably change next "skate season" once he's old enough to walk and be in the heat for a bit longer
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1394
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2023, 04:24:24 PM »
i like to skate from 10am-2pm out here on the far north coast of california. reckon it'll be the same when i'm in massachusetts again, except night skating will be more of thing due to warmer summer weather
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

trash

• Rep: 15
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2023, 02:01:52 AM »
For a park, I'm trying to get there by 8AM. Didn't start being one of the morning-locals until my late 20s and I regret not doing it much sooner. Not having to deal with kids/crowds/etc. at the session is a gamechanger.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 585
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2023, 06:30:00 AM »
Earlier is best (anywhere between 5-10 AM, ideally 6-9). Golden hour, bb! It’s not too hot, sun screen is unnecessary, nobody tries to talk to me, and the cool guys are still asleep. It’s the best.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2023, 03:48:31 PM »
Here we go….a bunch of middle aged dudes chiming in that they skate early…..

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 585
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2023, 08:30:00 PM »
Here we go….a bunch of middle aged dudes chiming in that they skate early…..

If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Dead to Me

• Rep: 74
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2023, 10:40:23 PM »
I skate around 5/6ish in the evening on work days. On my off days im out the house by noon the latest unless the homies planned to skate later in the day.

xandeo

• Rep: 6
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2023, 05:39:12 AM »
Gheez.. I live in central Europe and I'm 39, skate 1-2 times a week. I have two kids and a 9-5 job, meaning that the weekends (daytime) is usually booked for family time, so I usually never skate before 7 in the evening and then go on until open end - sometimes until 1 AM.

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2023, 07:58:10 AM »
Since I was a kid in NorCal, for the most part, always been an evening session'er. Usually after 7 or 8pm. That habit continued after I moved out to Asia.
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -298
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2023, 08:50:08 AM »
It kinda depends on the day of the week and weather/season for me. If it's a weekday during the summer, I'm not skating until 6pm at the earliest. Definitely not skating in the midday heat during a muggy PA summer. If it's fall/winter pretty much as soon as I'm off work so like 4pm. If it's a weekend I'm not getting out of the house til after 12pm. I can be roused to skate earlier if I'm meeting up with friends to go street skating/film, but otherwise I can't be bothered to skate before noon. I need my beauty sleep lol.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 644
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2023, 04:56:33 PM »
I live on the west coast and work a 9-5 type job, so I usually skate sometime after 5-6pm on weekdays depending on the time of the year. On weekends I'll skate a little earlier than that and keep skating for a longer session.

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 526
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2023, 05:54:44 PM »
Alone i like to go early and then maybe an evening session on top of it if i have the time/energy. Almost always with at least one other friend though and we'll skate from 6pm until whenever we call it quits, which is sooner on weeknights but can go until the wee hours on a good Friday or Saturday night.

The Midwest summer humidity is brutal so it's almost always a bad idea to skate between noon and 4:30pm.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

pool coping

• Rep: -63
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2023, 09:08:23 PM »
sunset is my favorite time to skate, i can't fuck with skating in direct sun anymore.

AlumarX

• Rep: 13
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2023, 09:37:54 PM »
Sunset 80% of the time, although in the winter I can skate anytime after 10am. Fuck skating any earlier though, my bio clock doesn't like slamming before noon.

In the summer as late as possible. I don't mind a crowd, it's fun but mainly for the goddamn heat. I avoid weekends unless the weather forces me to.

davy

• Rep: 10
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2023, 01:34:16 PM »
From the southern part of the US. Usually aim to skate after 5, but during this brutal summer I try to skate at 6 PM or later in the evening. Humidity is making this tough weather even tougher to skate. Stay hydrated.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -196
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2023, 03:27:21 PM »
Florida so if I'm not at the park between 6am and 8am I may as well not even go. If the homie and I are going to a street spot we may hit the local in the afternoon around 5 or 6 but not for long as it's usually crowded with teens and we are normally just warming up there to go somewhere

marcusbutler

• Rep: 40
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2023, 06:27:48 PM »
Florida so if I'm not at the park between 6am and 8am I may as well not even go. If the homie and I are going to a street spot we may hit the local in the afternoon around 5 or 6 but not for long as it's usually crowded with teens and we are normally just warming up there to go somewhere

Where at in FLorida? I'm on the space coast/cape canaveral. Skate with 40+ dudes who swear by going to the park on saturdays at 9-10 in the morning. It's brutal! If i'm not skating with them it's afternoon sesh from like 6 to 9 at my local park that has lights.
We rode 7.5's" and didn't complain.

yghartsyrt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2023, 10:15:44 AM »
Usually I get ready to leave the house at a quarter to skate o'Clock

GS77

• Rep: 94
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2023, 10:21:57 AM »
sunset is my favorite time to skate, i can't fuck with skating in direct sun anymore.

Golden Hour is my time too.

hockeyhomevideo

• Rep: 0
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2023, 01:16:56 AM »
i do not get how you guys skate early in the morning. most of the time ill wake up at like noon and head out after taking a shower and eating something, so probably getting out the door at like 1. i feel like the pressure of needing to perform to impress other skaters is a good thing sometimes and it adds a social aspect that going at 5 in the morning wont get you. Typically a day for me is like 6 hours when I dont work, even longer if im filming, and i just would not have the energy to perform that long if im waking up a 7 in the morning. dont b a bitch and go skate whenever you can

steezenking

• Rep: 15
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2023, 05:25:06 AM »
i do not get how you guys skate early in the morning. most of the time ill wake up at like noon and head out after taking a shower and eating something, so probably getting out the door at like 1. i feel like the pressure of needing to perform to impress other skaters is a good thing sometimes and it adds a social aspect that going at 5 in the morning wont get you. Typically a day for me is like 6 hours when I dont work, even longer if im filming, and i just would not have the energy to perform that long if im waking up a 7 in the morning. dont b a bitch and go skate whenever you can

You'll age out of that schedule at some point. I imagine you're going to sleep pretty late so of course you're going to sleep till noon. And if you are going to sleep at 10pm and sleeping for 14 hours, see a doctor lol.

AlumarX

• Rep: 13
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2023, 05:43:23 AM »
I wake up early nowadays but my body and mind are not ready for a slam at 7am.

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1238
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2023, 10:10:58 AM »
we sweat out our sins in the bible belt baby

i skate when im able
morning noon or night
single dad work full time
shit is mad tight

Jebediah

• Rep: 113
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2023, 11:41:24 AM »
you know I be stripping in the evenings

Slapsucksass

• Rep: -22
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2023, 03:14:21 PM »
skate'o clock

djoekr

• Rep: 298
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2023, 05:38:38 AM »
I wake up early nowadays but my body and mind are not ready for a slam at 7am.

Just gotta land everything bolts son.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2023, 06:51:52 AM »
Im 23 so relatively younger but I skate mornings like 8am. I'm not particularly heat averse I just wake up early on weekends and wanna go skate. There's never anyone at the park when I go but sometimes I really just wanna skate with some people :(

marcusbutler

• Rep: 40
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2023, 12:13:13 AM »
Im 23 so relatively younger but I skate mornings like 8am. I'm not particularly heat averse I just wake up early on weekends and wanna go skate. There's never anyone at the park when I go but sometimes I really just wanna skate with some people :(

I feel this. Probably 1-2 sessions where I'm skating with others. I feel I try more with others. Get the hype going. But I need the solo sessions where I'm getting consistent. Headphones on and just throwing whatever I have in the bank.
We rode 7.5's" and didn't complain.