Author Topic: How to bail, and how to avoid concussions if you are susceptible?  (Read 986 times)

Cariuma Executive

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Basically I've had multiple minor concussions in the last two years from skating and snowboarding. I've had to go without skating for long periods of time, as well as fall behind my peers in school and life as a result (I just turned 20).

I fucking love skating and will do anything to be able to skate even in a way where I'm not gonna hurt myself. The issue is that I need to be able to work and do school and can't afford to be out for another month+ with concussion symptoms. Not to mention the risk of long term damage, I'm not tryna have dementia. Note that every concussion you get makes it take less impact to sustain another.

Part of why I got those past concussions was stupid shit like being rusty at the beginning of the season and pushing myself, or battling something when I'm exhausted. I also just didn't think about how important being good at bailing is with skating.

I just want advice and tips on reducing the risk of concussions when skating, other than the obvious stuff like wear a helmet and skate within your ability. I'm thinking I gotta practice rolling and falling on a mattress or the grass or something. Also workout to strengthen all my shit so I can handle falling better. Specifically, advice on bailing when skating down stuff, ledges, tranny, rails etc.

It's not like I don't know how to jump off the board or kick it away, but I feel like I need to get way better at bailing if I wanna keep skating anything other than flatground. For reference, I'm average skill level (flatground is strong, ledge, manny, flatbar game is ok, don't skate handrails or hubbas or much transition and probs won't learn now with my conc shit).

Deffo TMI but any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
Re: How to bail, and how to avoid concussions if you are susceptible?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2023, 01:53:02 AM »
Boring adult post incoming-

You're not going to want to hear this at 20 years old, but just skate flat and sack the snowboarding off (freestyle at least)...seriously. If you're that fucked up already from concussions then you're in a pretty bad way for someone your age, to the point that another one could have serious long term health consequences, if those haven't started forming already.

I snowboarded for 15 years, but quit at the start of 2020 after the last concussion took me out of feeling "normal" for about 3 months, and that wasn't even a big slam...hitting jumps and rails is too high consequence for me to contemplate continuing to do it at 38 years old.

You need to take this seriously and manage the risks, and the best way to do that with skating is to stay lower to the ground and slow things down if you want to keep doing it. 

Wearing a helmet won't stop concussions, I've had more than a few and they've almost all been whilst lidded up.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2023, 07:52:45 AM by Skatebeard »

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2023, 07:48:57 AM »
One thing i picked up on martial arts practices was how to fall safely. Learning to tuck your chin as you fall goes long way. Other than that, try to keep yourself physically sharp. Practice some explosive movements, speed work and maybe some neck work (atleast we were told that strong neck helps with concussions, go figure).

Nothing wrong with skating with helmet if you are actually worried about hitting your head.

AlumarX

• Rep: 13
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2023, 08:41:36 PM »
Might seem unorthodox but skating faster hurts way less when you fall, some of the energy gets displaced forwards into of a slide than a straight impact with gravity.

6ix9ine

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2023, 10:32:41 PM »
I just want advice and tips on reducing the risk of concussions when skating, other than the obvious stuff like wear a helmet and skate within your ability.

Well, do you wear a helmet now and do you skate within your ability? Those are really the only two things that will help you.

If you're so uncoordinated that you can't even skate flatground or ledges without regularly hitting your head then maybe skating isn't for you. I'm not even trolling here.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 844
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2023, 01:51:36 AM »
Keep your chin glued to your chest (do it until it becomes natural) and aim for the broad/fatty parts like your back, shoulders, and ass and kinda just splat. The more surface area that hits, the more the force is dispersed over the area. I learned how to take wrestling bumps around the same time I started skating and sort of just adapted that technique. No serious injuries from skating. Sprains, broken toes, lots of gnarly bruises and skin donated to smooth out the asphalt like organic bondo, but no limbs in a cast or bad shots to the dome or anything.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2023, 08:15:37 AM »
Is there any type of therapy to get less susceptible?  I’ve heard of pro athletes who have concussion problems work through them and then stop having them.

Other than that my snowboard homies used to run mouth guards….

AppleNick

• Rep: 19
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2023, 03:01:01 PM »
Is there any type of therapy to get less susceptible?  I’ve heard of pro athletes who have concussion problems work through them and then stop having them.

Other than that my snowboard homies used to run mouth guards….
Literally strengthening your neck muscles. Boxers and F1 drivers do a lot of neck training. If you go re-watch Riding Giants, notice they all have tree-trunk necks - they need to.
I started initially by doing neck curls with no weight, and working up to 50 reps in a row before adding weight.
It's a great idea, but take it slow. Less is more with all those little neck muscles.

yghartsyrt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2023, 11:17:38 PM »
Keep your chin glued to your chest (do it until it becomes natural) and aim for the broad/fatty parts like your back, shoulders, and ass and kinda just splat. The more surface area that hits, the more the force is dispersed over the area. I learned how to take wrestling bumps around the same time I started skating and sort of just adapted that technique. No serious injuries from skating. Sprains, broken toes, lots of gnarly bruises and skin donated to smooth out the asphalt like organic bondo, but no limbs in a cast or bad shots to the dome or anything.

Lol. Would gnar you for the organic bondo term.

On the topic at hand: what everyone essentially saying. Tuck your chin in. Wear a helmet. Aim large bodyparts when bailing.

What kind of tricks are you hit your head the easiest?
Drop snowboarding.

mrselfdestruct

• Rep: 8
  • fresh
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2023, 05:43:53 AM »
so im better at bailing than skating probably. if im going to my back i instinctively kick my legs in the air once i land on my back and i just do a backflip off the ground with the momentum i have. if im bailing and im going chest down to the ground, i just try to put my hands out and land on my side and roll off my side.
Mrs Elf is a pretty cool name.

And Mrs Elf destructing is even cooler.

Hombreezy

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2023, 11:55:41 AM »
Learn how to roll on your back. This is the go to if you’re ever falling awkwardly. Everyone does this but nakel is the best example.
If youre falling in a more controlled manner and going fast, slide on your butt
If you’re slipping out, there’s not much you can do besides keeping your wrists close to your body and not not using them to catch your fall. Also keep the head tucked.
Keeping your head tucked goes with all bailing situations really.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 01:02:34 PM by Hombreezy »

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2023, 03:04:15 PM »
Lots of warm up. In my older age, I seem to fall the worst early in the session and on easy things.

Logic

• Rep: 35
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2023, 05:08:14 PM »
I started hitting the gym four/five times a week after screwing my wrist early last year and being out of a job as a result. Easily best decision I made, took around 18 months off skating and since starting again a few months back have yet to take a serious injury as taking falls are a lot easier on my body. The biggest caveat is that I've gone from rarely ever snapping boards to it now being a regular occurrence.

PapaSquat

• Rep: 3
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2023, 08:48:53 PM »
I try to "crumble" when I fall rather than "topple." Basically you want to break at the waist as soon as you know you're gonna fall and try to get your hips and butt to the ground as soon as possible. This also really helps when you are falling into something, as the quicker you get to the ground, the quicker you'll start slowing down. Always try to bail on your hips, butt, or shoulders. Also it's better to hit the ground limp than tense. Tuck your chin and limbs.